HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire Jody Shelley for a 2011 5th or 6th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
2Leetch_94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think that's a very fair assessment.

At the same time, if it took Jody Shelley to come come in after 70 games and potentially instill a sense of pride and team toughness, then again, what's the point? Are you banking on that being the difference between getting into the playoffs or not?
Me personally? No...the Rangers problems run much deeper than just adding a Jody Shelley. Shelley's a good guy, that's great. Glad to hear it. But is he going to magically make the entire team tougher? If only it was that easy.

There's many things to get angry about. This trade really isn't one of them.

Let me put it this way....if you're planning to go to the Fire Sather rally, this trade isn't going to change your mind either way.

Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What you really need is a guy like Neil, who I don't even like, that can throw a retaliatory hit on one of the other teams' better players. Not a cheap shot, but enough let them know that if they go after our franchise players, we'll go after theirs as well.
Like msg said, there just aren't enough of these guys to go around.

You tell someone like Girardi that, the next time he turns his back on Gaborik dropping his gloves, it will be his last game as a Ranger, no questions asked. Send a message that sticking up for teammates is a requirement for everyone, not the exclusive job of the human punching bag you share share the bench with inbetween shifts.

This team had a long way to go in terms of "team toughness", and as of right now, nothing has changed IMO.

Old
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
If this was true then San Jose Sharks fans wouldn't be celebrating his departure.
Go to their boards, its split. Its the same thing with orr/hollweg, shelleys hockey skills are limited as were hollwegs and orrs, some people loved them on the rangers, others hated them.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm pretty much laughing at every single one of you that's making a fuss about a 6th round draft pick.

6th round picks are garbage. Just like Shelley. So it's essentially a garbage for garbage trade. Pretty much a nothing trade for which there's not a single reason to get worked up about.

except for the fact that said garbage couldve been used in conjunction with other peices of garbage or not so much garbage in order to obtain something worthwhile that teh team actually needs. there is absolutely no need for jody shelly on this team, zero.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

LB chimes in

Quote:
Now, though, with Brashear eligible for demotion to the AHL Wolf Pack after having cleared waivers at noon today, the Rangers acquired heavyweight Jody Shelley from the Sharks in exchange for an a conditional draft selection (sixth-round pick in 2011; fifth round if he re-signs with Rangers as an unrestricted free agent).

The transaction, which adds to the overcrowded stable of fourth-liners, was completed four days after Shelley scored a TKO over Orr, dropping the now-Maple Leafs winger with a right hand.

Shelley, who turned 34 last week, is working on a contract/cap hit of $725,000. He recorded three points (0-3) in 36 games with San Jose while picking up 78 PIMs.He is expected to report to the club in time for Sunday afternoon's pre-Olympic finale against Tampa Bay at the Garden.

The acquisition would not only seem to have serious repurcussions for Brashear, who has been a healthy scratch in 12 of the last 13 heading into tonight's match against the Penguins, but for pugilist Aaron Voros, as well.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...nMbtbtozIuAl0K

Shelley is playing on Sunday.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm pretty much laughing at every single one of you that's making a fuss about a 6th round draft pick.
I think the fuss is about Sather exchanging picks for pending UFA's when he should be on the phone doing the exact opposite.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Like msg said, there just aren't enough of these guys to go around.

You tell someone like Girardi that, the next time he turns his back on Gaborik dropping his gloves, it will be his last game as a Ranger, no questions asked. Send a message that sticking up for teammates is a requirement for everyone, not the exclusive job of the human punching bag you share share the bench with inbetween shifts.

This team had a long way to go in terms of "team toughness", and as of right now, nothing has changed IMO.
No argument here. I agree with both of you, I was just making a point to the folks that seem to think enforcers are going to keep our players safe.

The lack of aggression across the roster is really baffling. I mean, there's more hitting from my beer league team than there is from this squad.

Old
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I don't get you guys. Most of you complain about us playing like *****es, what does Glen do? Bring in one of the top heavy-weights. Is a 5th/6th rounder going to help us now more than Shelley would? A potential 5th/6th rounders prime, would eventually be just as helpful as Shelley is now (some rare exceptions).

I like this deal.

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Columbus discussed re-acquiring Shelley

Quote:
#CBJ did have discussions with San Jose regarding Jody Shelley, but couldn't get a fit. Could be that #CBJ has too many forwards?
http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/9026504260

Old
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
LB chimes in

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...nMbtbtozIuAl0K

Shelley is playing on Sunday.
Dang, wanted to see him tonight vs. the Pens already!!!

Old
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
BobSantos

I like it.

From the looks of it Brashear was insisting on hanging around the team practices. All we could do was to ask him politely to leave. Now we have someone who will kick his *ss to Hartford.

Worth it from that point of view.

Oh, and the KO of Orr was pretty freaking solid. Right in the jaw.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
First off...I agree with this trade..good job Slats.

Also...I am glad to see that piece of **** Brashear off the team. I just could never get over what he did to Betts last year.

Don't under estimate what a negative force he was in the locker room...

Old
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Garv23

I have no probs with this move at all if Brashear goes away now. Shelley is a legit heavy and will take the pressure off of Prust to think he needs to fight goons like Peters. I want to see Prust play.

I'm sure there will be another more significant move.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
otto1219

knowing slats, if we lose lets say 4 games in a row and appear entirely out of it, he might flip him for a 6th to a contender. The 2011 draft is going to be awful.

I just feel that a lot of posters are angry that this was "THE MOVE", where people were unrealistically expecting the rangers to trade for Booth or Nathan Horton.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Don't you guys think that if we can now turn Rozy into Ballard and Horton or Booth then we might have fixed SOME of our problems...that is assuming Horton or Booth can score here and don't turn into Higgins...

Old
02-12-2010, 03:41 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Dan Girardi? Is that you?

if it is...WHY DON'T YOU STAND UP FOR GABBY?!
when did this become a Girardi issue...again?
I wasnt aware that the teams incredible lack of team toughness falls directly on girardi, who by the way is 2nd on the team in hits and 6th in the league in blocked shots...but yes its all girardi's fault Sather is blowing picks on 4th line scrubs...makes perfect sense.

Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
knowing slats, if we lose lets say 4 games in a row and appear entirely out of it, he might flip him for a 6th to a contender.
That's great, except there are 3 games left before the trade deadline and one of them is tonight.

Old
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

this-Hank and Gabby are getting killed, we're soft.
that-Why did we get Shelly?

this-We're no good, sell, sell, sell.
that-We need a scorer, why did we get Shelly?

this-All we ever do is get overpaid do nothings.
that-Got rid of Brashear ($1.8x2) and got Shelly (UFA).

Well fella's? Which way do you want it? All I read is we're soft, overpaid, have no cap room, and why make moves (give up youth)to get into the playoffs when Pitt, Wash, and NJ are locks to advance to the Cup.

I'm by no means a Sather fan, but there seems to be alot of Rangers fans that just want to kill every move he makes just for the sake of it.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
ThirdEye

Hop on the Merry-go-round Shelley!

Old
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
otto1219

Quote:
That's great, except there are 3 games left before the trade deadline and one of them is tonight.
perfect so we just lost to nashville, lose the next three and we are set.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Jody shelley was never on the ice with Heatley but anytime anyone touched Heatley or took a hard penalty against him, Shelley took him out the next shift. That is what protection is. Matt Bradley does the same with Ovie
And did any of those fights make ANYONE think twice about hitting Heatley? I doubt it. The players that are hitting Heatley don't give 2 ***** about Jody Shelley. And Jody Shelley isn't going to go after the top players on the other team, so what exactly is he accomplishing?

Old
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
knowing slats, if we lose lets say 4 games in a row and appear entirely out of it, he might flip him for a 6th to a contender. The 2011 draft is going to be awful.

I just feel that a lot of posters are angry that this was "THE MOVE", where people were unrealistically expecting the rangers to trade for Booth or Nathan Horton.
Name one move Sather has made since the lockout that even somewhat resembled a rebuilding move. On what basis do you see him trading Shelley anywhere?

Old
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post

Well fella's? Which way do you want it? All I read is we're soft, overpaid, have no cap room, and why make moves (give up youth)to get into the playoffs when Pitt, Wash, and NJ are locks to advance to the Cup.

I'm by no means a Sather fan, but there seems to be alot of Rangers fans that just want to kill every move he makes just for the sake of it.
Stop being so dramatic. There are some fans who can't get enough fisticuffs, then there's the rest of us who want to add toughness that counts, a player with many minutes a game making opponents think twice about being tough guys with our forwards/goalie.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And did any of those fights make ANYONE think twice about hitting Heatley? I doubt it. The players that are hitting Heatley don't give 2 ***** about Jody Shelley. And Jody Shelley isn't going to go after the top players on the other team, so what exactly is he accomplishing?
He's helping us get rid of our "garbage" picks.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post

How did we get rid of Brashear? He's still counting against the cap... more so next season. He haunts us from beyond until something else happens.

Closed Thread