HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire Jody Shelley for a 2011 5th or 6th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Ranger27

vCash: 500
Jody Shelly?

This is a smart move by Sather. We finally have someone to protect Gaborik from guys like Lundqvist durring practice!

Old
02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan5 View Post
Im all for signing him to like a 7 year deal for like 20 mil.
Meh, 7 years, meh 20 million, meh.......

Old
02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I felt there would have been more deals but I guess this was like jr prom lots of feelers but no one closed the deal.
Florida put out who and what they want from all interested teams and now have 2 weeks to try and tweak the deals. Not sure 100% it will get done but trust me the Rangers are in on it
Are we just after Booth/Horton or are there other names involved?

Old
02-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I felt there would have been more deals but I guess this was like jr prom lots of feelers but no one closed the deal.
Florida put out who and what they want from all interested teams and now have 2 weeks to try and tweak the deals. Not sure 100% it will get done but trust me the Rangers are in on it
They're not only in on it they were trying to push it through and Florida wants to 'wait and see'

Old
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I will be the optimist

Brashear, Voros out saves 2.4- Shellys 725 = savings!

I really hope they just do what we all want them to do already

http://nyrangersblog.blogspot.com/

lineup for 2nite, Shelley the spare and plays vs heavy weights
Except for the fact that Brashear still counts against the cap.

Old
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
They're not only in on it they were trying to push it through and Florida wants to 'wait and see'
He wants to push it through, like all other trades, before the other GM realizes where just giving them c**p compared to what they could get from other places.

Old
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
What was the deal they were trying to push through?

Old
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Still hate this trade. Its unnecessary unless these last 22 games are some sort of tryout for Shelly to come back next year, who Sather will most certainly overpay to stick around.

Otherwise i see no point in it.

People are whining about team toughness. I never was. Not in this capacity. This guy is going to play 5 minutes, just like Brashear did, just like Orr did, just like Prust and Voros are - or hell be sitting in press box. Whoppydee freakin' do. IMO that doesnt help team toughness. I'd rather have a draft pick even if its in the last round.

Will a 6th round draft pick amount to much? Probably not. Will a 5th? maybe.

Is it a big deal either way? No. Its not. But at this point I just hate everything Sather does because its always patchwork for something else he failed with.

You wanna help the team? Step down.

Old
02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Still hate this trade. Its unnecessary unless these last 22 games are some sort of tryout for Shelly to come back next year, who Sather will most certainly overpay to stick around.

Otherwise i see no point in it.

People are whining about team toughness. I never was. Not in this capacity. This guy is going to play 5 minutes, just like Brashear did, just like Orr did, just like Prust and Voros are - or hell be sitting in press box. Whoppydee freakin' do. I'd rather have a draft pick even if its in the last round.

Will a 6th round draft pick amount to much? Probably not. Will a 5th? maybe.

Is it a big deal either way? No. Its not. But at this point I just hate everything Sather does because its always patchwork for something else he failed with.

You wanna help the team? Step down.
Honestly, if he does the exact same kind of trade again on March 3rd or whatever the deadline is I'll breath a sigh of relief. Dealing a couple of 5ths or 6ths is a far cry from sending a 2nd rounder a la Antropov. In a perfect world we will start dealing guys like Olli and Vinny for 2nd round picks ourselves...but unless we lose BADLY tonight and on Sunday I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Old
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Totally pointless move. Waste of a chance to find a useful player for 22 games of a useless player.

Old
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

Could very well be that Sather had Wilson on the phone looking for a bigger, more logical deal, and Wilson just sold him the dummy. The old 'bait and switch'. "I know you're eyeing that Ryan Clowe over there Glen, but I've got a Jody Shelley that would look SO good in red white and blue........a I'll make you a deal no one (on hfboards.com) can refuse."

Old
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Totally pointless move. Waste of a chance to find a useful player for 22 games of a useless player.
I agree...but we're talking about a 5th or 6th rounder...guys who are unlikely to ever contribute much. In a perfect world we'd keep the pick...but I'm not gonna cry over it. It could have been a much worse afternoon in Rangerland.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What was the deal they were trying to push through?
I dont know the names, but they don't want to rush, they came out said they were sellers, took offers today and will think about what options they may have. Tune in in a few weeks

Old
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Honestly, if he does the exact same kind of trade again on March 3rd or whatever the deadline is I'll breath a sigh of relief. Dealing a couple of 5ths or 6ths is a far cry from sending a 2nd rounder a la Antropov. In a perfect world we will start dealing guys like Olli and Vinny for 2nd round picks ourselves...but unless we lose BADLY tonight and on Sunday I'm not going to get my hopes up.
So will I, but its still not HELPING the Rangers in anyway. Its just continuing to spin the wheels.

I sure hope he realizes the postseason isnt a reality and can get some good assets back from a Prospal/Olli trade - but i sure as hell aint holding my breath either.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
beastly115

The chances of finding an NHL caliber player in the 5th or 6th round in a very weak draft are slim to none. This trade doesn't bother me. At least Shelley will actually do his job here.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
This trade is 100% setting up a bigger deal. Voros is going to be traded and who knows who else. This is a vet who doesn't hurt you in the room and is tough lets see where the chips fall.
I agree with this assessment. Well said, Dag.

It's just pain.
Old
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
nyr2417

nyr2k2 a girl im with just saw your avatar and commented on how good-looking brandon prust was.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For the record, our current 13th ranked prospect, who would easily be top 7-8 in an org with a lesser prospect pool, was a 6th round pick in a weak draft class. IMO Hagelin's got a great shot at being a 3rd liner and decent shot of being a second liner. So, yes, I'd rather have a shot at drafting another guy like him, rather than 22 games of a rental IN A YEAR WHEN WE SHOULD BE SELLING.

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Though I do disagree with the idea that fifth and sixth round picks are garbage. Everyone has been quick to point out the typical nothing players we've taken late, but conspicuously unmentioned were Marek Zidlicky, Petr Prucha, and Nigel Dawes. Carl Hagelin I have as a lock for the NHL in some capacity as well. So while the later rounds are thin, they're not completely bereft of talent.

Old
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

I dont think this was a great move by any means.

Regardless I do like Shelley as a player. I watch alot of blue jackets games on TV here, and he was always a stand up player for them. He was always there to back up his team. I hope he is the same player for us.

Im happy to have him on the team.

Old
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Everyone relax...you will all be happy the next time we play the Flyers and Carcillo runs his mouth, we will have serious payback amo on that piece of ****.

^^^^^ This

Some of the reactions on here are way over the top. Sure Shelley bring nothing on the ice but his fists and he can sure use them, just ask Colton Orr. Now when someone runs Hank or picks on Gabby we dont have to send Avery out there for retribution, or even worse watch Voros get smacked and thrown around like a rag doll. Shelley is UFA after this season so I really hope we bring him back next season at a minimum.

If Shelley is in the lineup against Flyers I can just about guarantee you that ***** Carcillo wont be starting any **** this time around.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
For the record, our current 13th ranked prospect, who would easily be top 7-8 in an org with a lesser prospect pool, was a 6th round pick in a weak draft class. IMO Hagelin's got a great shot at being a 3rd liner and decent shot of being a second liner. So, yes, I'd rather have a shot at drafting another guy like him, rather than 22 games of a rental IN A YEAR WHEN WE SHOULD BE SELLING.
any foward we draft is a 3rd liner. we will be fine

Old
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
But you have Prust, Voros...

Why go out and get another goon with 20 games left in the season?

AND GIVE UP A PICK ON TOP OF IT??? I dont care if they created a 25th round for the draft and thats the pick they gave up. its another mindless move and misusage of assets.

This makes absolutely no sense. Bring up Byers if you want another guy who can drop em. At least he can skate. I dont get it, i just dont get it.

Fire Sather... PLEASE. HELP. US. PLEASE.

He just HAS to do something. Cant just sit there and let ANY deadline go by without being active. THIS TEAM SUCKS GLEN.

Out of the guys you mentioned none is a heavyweight. Shelley is. As much as I dislike goons they are neccesary.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You forgot to mention that Shelley isn't a smart hockey player

Old
02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
eco's bones

I haven't got a problem with this trade. I also think it may not be a good idea to try and fix this season. I rather hold on to assets but to me a 5th or 6th is a reach to become anything anyway.

The Rangers have not been able to assert themselves physically this whole season. Brashear just didn't do it. Shelley and Prust will at least answer the bell for what's left of this season.

Closed Thread