HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WHY TAMBO, why can't he do anything

Old
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
WHY TAMBO, why can't he do anything

when you have whitney(37 yrs old) maybe offered for 1st and prospect to kings and cullen and moore go for 2nds and... why can't me find a partner for cogs, POS, Gils, Grebs and the rest of our scraps.

and for all those speculating on penner moving chicago should be only destination for buffs and skille or something of that ilk.

just vexed

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
ekcut

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Why does he have to do anything today?

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
bzur

Do players still get paid over the olympic break, or do they just get cheques every certain amount of games? If they still get paid, I can see why trades wouldn't be made today. If teams have to pay salary for players that they have traded for over the break, the offers they would be making would probably be smaller. If that's the case then I'm sure that we would be able to get better returns for players at the actual deadline. Things don't been to be done right now just because there is a freeze... There is a freeze over christmas too...
I am still fairly confident that things will get done before the deadline. Just need to be patient.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Kung Pow

Plain and simple Whitney is a rental. He's a UFA at the end of the year. When the Oiler players have a remaining year on their contract it scares teams away.

Kung Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

58GP 17-28-45

Unless you want to deal Penner, there's nobody on the roster that stacks up to Whitney.

The fact he's a UFA means nothing if he wont go anywhere without an extension.

The closest we have is O'Sullivan, who won't bring back what Whitney will command.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
Plain and simple Whitney is a rental. He's a UFA at the end of the year. When the Oiler players have a remaining year on their contract it scares teams away.
he said the only wat he waves NTC is if he gets extension so not a rental and that trade will prob happen, so not a rental

Old
02-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
mehh .. if not this year then next.. moving pending UFAs next season would be much easier.. O'Sully, Moreau, Nilsson and Staios cant possibly perform any worse.. Them being pending UFAs could fetch us some decent picks.

Souray's NMC also expires.. so dealing him becomes easier.

This team isnt going anywhere next season.. with or without the 5 names mentioned above... might as well keep them for 40-60 games next season and then start making room for Eberle, MSP, Lander, Omark and Petry..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:40 PM
TigerWoo

I'm not a big fan, but the trade freeze is on. His team is pathetic.

That's the biggest mistake a GM can make. Trade a good guy on a pathetic team or trade for a guy who is ok on a pathetic team.

I think GM's are scared of the situation overall.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Teamcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentz0r View Post
Do players still get paid over the olympic break, or do they just get cheques every certain amount of games? If they still get paid, I can see why trades wouldn't be made today. If teams have to pay salary for players that they have traded for over the break, the offers they would be making would probably be smaller. If that's the case then I'm sure that we would be able to get better returns for players at the actual deadline. Things don't been to be done right now just because there is a freeze... There is a freeze over christmas too...
I am still fairly confident that things will get done before the deadline. Just need to be patient.
Yes, they get paid still on the 15th of February and all the teams that would even think of taking any Oilers would be teams that rather not pay Horcoff one extra time they dont have to.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
GatoradeG*

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=738130

lol messed up the link on my first go.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Kung Pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
he said the only wat he waves NTC is if he gets extension so not a rental and that trade will prob happen, so not a rental
So maybe that's why he didn't get traded, but that is why teams were interested.

Kung Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:48 PM
deanmoriarty

Haven't you heard? It's impossible to make trades in the NHL these days.

And why should he rush to make changes when he can wait until July 1st? Or better yet, take more time to evaluate until trade deadline 2011. He should play it safe, we'd make the playoffs if it wasn't for injuries.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Haven't you heard? It's impossible to make trades in the NHL these days.

And why should he rush to make changes when he can wait until July 1st? Or better yet, take more time to evaluate until trade deadline 2011. He should play it safe, we'd make the playoffs if it wasn't for injuries.
PLAYOFFS! PLAYOFFS! you're talking about playoffs... I JUST WANT TO WIN A GAME.

were in a position now that it doesn't matter if we win even if they go 500 down the road they still finish dead last. Injuries with standing I still don't think the oil are any better than 7-12 place team ie need rebuild and now is the time to do it, they can't be any worse

Old
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
rydlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
mehh .. if not this year then next.. moving pending UFAs next season would be much easier.. O'Sully, Moreau, Nilsson and Staios cant possibly perform any worse.. Them being pending UFAs could fetch us some decent picks.

This team isnt going anywhere next season.. with or without the 5 names mentioned above... might as well keep them for 40-60 games next season and then start making room for Eberle, MSP, Lander, Omark and Petry..
This. And totally agreed.

Whether we like it or not, teams want players who are becoming UFAs at the trade deadline, not dead weights that linger for seasons.

In a way it's not a bad thing.... whoever we draft this season, plus anyone else ready to step into the lineup won't really turn our fortunes around in 10/11... so we can make the 2011 draft the final stage of the rebuild by offloading UFA vets at the next deadline. I'm prepared for suckage next season, and really I'm ok with it.

rydlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:03 PM
dixs35

that being said i'm a season ticket holder and now we have the real excuse we need to rebuild instead of all thestop gaps we've tried with all the big offers

Old
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post

Nilsson and O'Sullivan are not UFAs next season. They are RFAs. Big difference.

02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

teams are throwing out high draft picks like its candy, he should make something happen

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

We Do Not Have Any Ufa's Worth A Damn.

End Of Thread.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
rydlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
teams are throwing out high draft picks like its candy, he should make something happen
If they're offering high draft picks for the guys we want to move, then ya.... but that's a no brainer.
Odds are they're not getting the same offers for our non-UFAs (ie. Moreau, Staios, Sully, Horc etc).

That said, I could see Comrie and/or Pisani going at the deadline.

rydlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydlar View Post
If they're offering high draft picks for the guys we want to move, then ya.... but that's a no brainer.
Odds are they're not getting the same offers for our non-UFAs (ie. Moreau, Staios, Sully, Horc etc).

That said, I could see Comrie and/or Pisani going at the deadline.
if they cant get any offers than waivers it should be those guys with the exceptions
of staios and horcs(refuse to waste that much money and we can't NMC) are cancers ie nils n POS moreau has just run his course time to say good bye buy-outs or waivers

Old
02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
when you have whitney(37 yrs old) maybe offered for 1st and prospect to kings and cullen and moore go for 2nds and... why can't me find a partner for cogs, POS, Gils, Grebs and the rest of our scraps.

and for all those speculating on penner moving chicago should be only destination for buffs and skille or something of that ilk.

just vexed
expiring contracts

Unless the LA gives Whitney an extension it is not going to happen.

When a player with multi year left is traded and the oilers have someone JUST like him in the line up then I will lead the whinners list

however

If you look at the Barker deal--BArker is 3 years younger then Gilbert--getting paid .750 less and is a RFA when his current deal is done and most people would take Barker over Gilbert

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
if they cant get any offers than waivers it should be those guys with the exceptions
of staios and horcs(refuse to waste that much money and we can't NMC) are cancers ie nils n POS moreau has just run his course time to say good bye buy-outs or waivers
first of all, your posts are barely understandable.

second of all, what advantage would putting these guys on waivers be?

If you put Staios on waivers, we free up some space on the salary cap... for what reason? Are we going to sign somebody right now? No.

Tambellini will try to trade these guys before the trading deadline. Failing that, he will try for draft day. The only day it makes sense to waive these guys would be on Free Agent Day, if we were needing the cap space. Otherewise there is no reason to waive them.

And lastly, it's not as if there's a plethora of hot prospects in the AHL ready to jump into the NHL.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Tree444

Quote:
i read this 4 times and i still do not know what you are saying

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote