HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fall of An Empire

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
  #1
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
Fall of An Empire

http://www.wben.com/newsroom/fullstory.php?newsid=02610

Empire has finally been shut down, as if no one saw that coming. It had already been completely dumped from Time Warner Cable. So if some last minute CBA deal gets hammered out (though I wouldn't hold my breath), who would be broadcasting our beloved Sabres?

It's quite sad to see Empire go though, even though it's been dying for years. Before the Adelphia problems arose, and they actually had legitimate programming to go along with the Sabres, they were a high quality local sports station. They aired all the Sabres games, too, and did so in a professional manner. I couldn't ask for much more.

And now...who knows.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
  #2
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,293
vCash: 500
I used to love spending evenings after school/practice watching FAN TV with Simon and Brinson, Sabres GameNight, and then the game followed by Fan TV night-time, and the replay. Those were the good ole days. Now we have neither hockey nor Empire.

Takeo is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 02:22 PM
  #3
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!
 
sabresfan65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
I've heard on the radio that the Sabres will now be seen on MSG.

sabresfan65 is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
  #4
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
according to a past article in TBN MSG would indeed take over Sabres games...

Now to see if they keep Jim Lorentz, Danny Gare, Rick Jennerete, and Robataille(sp.)?


JOHNBOY is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
  #5
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!
 
WoahBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: East of the Hudson
Country: United States
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Huuummmm, I'm just wondering, living out here in CT, I get the Rags on MSG...would it be possible for me to get Sabres games on their offnights? The last thing I would want is to be teased with potentially getting games and then finding out they're all blacked out.

WoahBoy is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
  #6
jpb
Registered User
 
jpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Thebes
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouda22
Huuummmm, I'm just wondering, living out here in CT, I get the Rags on MSG...would it be possible for me to get Sabres games on their offnights? The last thing I would want is to be teased with potentially getting games and then finding out they're all blacked out.
I'd be concerned as well here in Syracuse. Technically, I believe the NHL considers that a Sabres market and we should get the games, but who knows. Have to wait and find out, I guess.

jpb is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 05:22 PM
  #7
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
I'd be concerned as well here in Syracuse. Technically, I believe the NHL considers that a Sabres market and we should get the games, but who knows. Have to wait and find out, I guess.
I'm hoping the same applies to Rochester (as in being a market since it is), and I hope that MSG would pick up most of the games (as in at least 70).

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
01-19-2005, 08:16 PM
  #8
nyr34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyr34
I honestly don't know what to tell you guys, but if Cablevision does pick up some of the Sabres games it'll be on one of the following channels: MSG, FSNY or Metro (only available on Cablevision, and sometimes on CenterIce), and when and where the Sabres are seen depends on if the Rangers, Islanders or Devils are playing, because as you know those three teams are covered by the three channels. But to add to trouble, well at least for you guys, the Knicks and Mets also have air time. So I don't honestly know how much free time there is to add extra games. Good luck guys though, hope it works out.

Man if its true its gotta suck for some of you Ranger-Haters, having to admit they actually helped you out. Just kidding, again, hope all works out.

nyr34 is offline  
Old
01-20-2005, 12:12 AM
  #9
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr34
I honestly don't know what to tell you guys, but if Cablevision does pick up some of the Sabres games it'll be on one of the following channels: MSG, FSNY or Metro (only available on Cablevision, and sometimes on CenterIce), and when and where the Sabres are seen depends on if the Rangers, Islanders or Devils are playing, because as you know those three teams are covered by the three channels. But to add to trouble, well at least for you guys, the Knicks and Mets also have air time. So I don't honestly know how much free time there is to add extra games. Good luck guys though, hope it works out.

Man if its true its gotta suck for some of you Ranger-Haters, having to admit they actually helped you out. Just kidding, again, hope all works out.
I can only hope that they would show the Sabres games in the Western New York market on say MSG while simultaneously broadcasting the Rangers, etc. in the downstate market. I don't know exactly how it works, however.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
01-20-2005, 07:33 AM
  #10
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
I can only hope that they would show the Sabres games in the Western New York market on say MSG while simultaneously broadcasting the Rangers, etc. in the downstate market. I don't know exactly how it works, however.
Fox Sports NY will be the backup in case of an MSG committment to other programming (Knicks, Rags, etc.).

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
  #11
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Fox Sports NY will be the backup in case of an MSG committment to other programming (Knicks, Rags, etc.).
Alright, nice. I really hope they play all the games (of course, I have to pay to order FSNY here with Rochester Time Warner Cable). I sure love Time Warner.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
  #12
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I used to love spending evenings after school/practice watching FAN TV with Simon and Brinson, Sabres GameNight, and then the game followed by Fan TV night-time, and the replay. Those were the good ole days. Now we have neither hockey nor Empire.
I've got to agree with you here. Being from Cleveland, and having Empire taken away before last year's Sabres season, since Adelphia Cable sucks, it really was tough to take since I couldn't watch Hockey Hotline anymore with Mike Robitaille. I loved listening to Robitaille after the game and learned a lot from that show. Someday I hope to be like Mike.

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
  #13
Tra La La
Registered User
 
Tra La La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Sad Empire in it's Hey day was a Buffalo sports fan's Dream.

Tra La La is offline  
Old
01-21-2005, 10:21 AM
  #14
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,253
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr34
...Man if its true its gotta suck for some of you Ranger-Haters, having to admit they actually helped you out. Just kidding, again, hope all works out.
Ranger-Haters? I think you may have the wrong board.

Too bad about Empire, but is anyone really surprised by this? No hockey means no primary revenue stream, and the parent company still having bankruptcy problems it is a no-brainer that they're dumping it. I wish everyone there well and would also like to say "thanks" for their hard work and effort bringing the sports fans of WNY (and elsewhere) local team coverage. Damned sad.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
  #15
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
The thing that gets me going is that Adelphia could have sold Empire to an ownership team headed by Joshua Pollack for $17M and they declined, opting instead to cease operations altogether. I'm not Trump, but that move makes zero sense to me. (On the surface, anyways...)

Hobey Baker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.