HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fall of An Empire

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

vCash: 500
Fall of An Empire

http://www.wben.com/newsroom/fullstory.php?newsid=02610

Empire has finally been shut down, as if no one saw that coming. It had already been completely dumped from Time Warner Cable. So if some last minute CBA deal gets hammered out (though I wouldn't hold my breath), who would be broadcasting our beloved Sabres?

It's quite sad to see Empire go though, even though it's been dying for years. Before the Adelphia problems arose, and they actually had legitimate programming to go along with the Sabres, they were a high quality local sports station. They aired all the Sabres games, too, and did so in a professional manner. I couldn't ask for much more.

And now...who knows.

Old
01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Takeo

I used to love spending evenings after school/practice watching FAN TV with Simon and Brinson, Sabres GameNight, and then the game followed by Fan TV night-time, and the replay. Those were the good ole days. Now we have neither hockey nor Empire.

Old
01-19-2005, 02:22 PM
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!

I've heard on the radio that the Sabres will now be seen on MSG.

Old
01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
according to a past article in TBN MSG would indeed take over Sabres games...

Now to see if they keep Jim Lorentz, Danny Gare, Rick Jennerete, and Robataille(sp.)?

Old
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Huuummmm, I'm just wondering, living out here in CT, I get the Rags on MSG...would it be possible for me to get Sabres games on their offnights? The last thing I would want is to be teased with potentially getting games and then finding out they're all blacked out.

Old
01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouda22
Huuummmm, I'm just wondering, living out here in CT, I get the Rags on MSG...would it be possible for me to get Sabres games on their offnights? The last thing I would want is to be teased with potentially getting games and then finding out they're all blacked out.
I'd be concerned as well here in Syracuse. Technically, I believe the NHL considers that a Sabres market and we should get the games, but who knows. Have to wait and find out, I guess.

Old
01-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
I'd be concerned as well here in Syracuse. Technically, I believe the NHL considers that a Sabres market and we should get the games, but who knows. Have to wait and find out, I guess.
I'm hoping the same applies to Rochester (as in being a market since it is), and I hope that MSG would pick up most of the games (as in at least 70).

Old
01-19-2005, 08:16 PM
nyr34

Send a message via AIM to nyr34
I honestly don't know what to tell you guys, but if Cablevision does pick up some of the Sabres games it'll be on one of the following channels: MSG, FSNY or Metro (only available on Cablevision, and sometimes on CenterIce), and when and where the Sabres are seen depends on if the Rangers, Islanders or Devils are playing, because as you know those three teams are covered by the three channels. But to add to trouble, well at least for you guys, the Knicks and Mets also have air time. So I don't honestly know how much free time there is to add extra games. Good luck guys though, hope it works out.

Man if its true its gotta suck for some of you Ranger-Haters, having to admit they actually helped you out. Just kidding, again, hope all works out.

Old
01-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr34
I honestly don't know what to tell you guys, but if Cablevision does pick up some of the Sabres games it'll be on one of the following channels: MSG, FSNY or Metro (only available on Cablevision, and sometimes on CenterIce), and when and where the Sabres are seen depends on if the Rangers, Islanders or Devils are playing, because as you know those three teams are covered by the three channels. But to add to trouble, well at least for you guys, the Knicks and Mets also have air time. So I don't honestly know how much free time there is to add extra games. Good luck guys though, hope it works out.

Man if its true its gotta suck for some of you Ranger-Haters, having to admit they actually helped you out. Just kidding, again, hope all works out.
I can only hope that they would show the Sabres games in the Western New York market on say MSG while simultaneously broadcasting the Rangers, etc. in the downstate market. I don't know exactly how it works, however.

Old
01-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
I can only hope that they would show the Sabres games in the Western New York market on say MSG while simultaneously broadcasting the Rangers, etc. in the downstate market. I don't know exactly how it works, however.
Fox Sports NY will be the backup in case of an MSG committment to other programming (Knicks, Rags, etc.).

Old
01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Fox Sports NY will be the backup in case of an MSG committment to other programming (Knicks, Rags, etc.).
Alright, nice. I really hope they play all the games (of course, I have to pay to order FSNY here with Rochester Time Warner Cable). I sure love Time Warner.

Old
01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I used to love spending evenings after school/practice watching FAN TV with Simon and Brinson, Sabres GameNight, and then the game followed by Fan TV night-time, and the replay. Those were the good ole days. Now we have neither hockey nor Empire.
I've got to agree with you here. Being from Cleveland, and having Empire taken away before last year's Sabres season, since Adelphia Cable sucks, it really was tough to take since I couldn't watch Hockey Hotline anymore with Mike Robitaille. I loved listening to Robitaille after the game and learned a lot from that show. Someday I hope to be like Mike.

Old
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Tra La La

Sad Empire in it's Hey day was a Buffalo sports fan's Dream.

Old
01-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr34
...Man if its true its gotta suck for some of you Ranger-Haters, having to admit they actually helped you out. Just kidding, again, hope all works out.
Ranger-Haters? I think you may have the wrong board.

Too bad about Empire, but is anyone really surprised by this? No hockey means no primary revenue stream, and the parent company still having bankruptcy problems it is a no-brainer that they're dumping it. I wish everyone there well and would also like to say "thanks" for their hard work and effort bringing the sports fans of WNY (and elsewhere) local team coverage. Damned sad.

01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
The thing that gets me going is that Adelphia could have sold Empire to an ownership team headed by Joshua Pollack for $17M and they declined, opting instead to cease operations altogether. I'm not Trump, but that move makes zero sense to me. (On the surface, anyways...)

Closed Thread