HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2010, 02:08 AM
  #251
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
So am I correct that NBC will basically have no online coverage and that while I'm at work I will have to be using atdhe.net to watch games? That's annoying, I was planning to spend my days watching live biathlon and such.

I thought I read LS say that NBC would be streaming. I will look into it and post in the OP later.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:11 AM
  #252
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Wayne should have grabbed the gal that didn't get to light the torch, and taken her for a run to light the outdoor torch. Ive never seen him sweat like that.
I'm thinking he's wearing 2-3 layers underneath the "it's warm inside" outfit as he's outside, in the back of a truck heading to the second location to light the outside cauldron.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:12 AM
  #253
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Wayne should have grabbed the gal that didn't get to light the torch, and taken her for a run to light the outdoor torch. Ive never seen him sweat like that.
Doan? Yeah, she could've made the run.

I mean seriously:



Look at her legs. Look at them! She could probably crush my spine with them. A run like that would be no problem.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:15 AM
  #254
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-problems.html
Olympic officials say that track was not the cause of luger's death. (IOW, it's a fast track, and it's probably his inexperience were more the cause.)
They must not have noticed that a person coming around the corner could - if they weren't one of the best athletes, come into the corner low and exit high and hit a 20 ton un-padded I-beam that was made to not give a centimeter.

Sure a great luger is going to survive that, but the lesser countries aren't sending athletes that get to train on tracks like that. The tracks should be prepared to allow for all athletes to compete.

All of the athletes to get here, have to qualify. That should be enough to expect that the terrain would be safe enough to not risk death or permanent dismemberment. There were enough world class athletes that have been hurt or knocked out in training to question the findings of the Olympic Committee.

The luge is supposed to start tomorrow.

__________________
The Best Sports Team in the Bay Area for 20 Years
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:18 AM
  #255
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-problems.html
Olympic officials say that track was not the cause of luger's death. (IOW, it's a fast track, and it's probably his inexperience were more the cause.)
I did read an article on this earlier today, and they quoted another luger (some woman ... can't remember her name) who also expressed uneasiness regarding the speeds this particular track yields.

The article seemed to imply overall that the track was too fast, and that at ~90 mph, the luge becomes damn near impossible to control.

Who knows for sure at this point. We'll find out soon enough though ...

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:18 AM
  #256
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Doan? Yeah, she could've made the run.

I mean seriously:



Look at her legs. Look at them! She could probably crush my spine with them. A run like that would be no problem.
She looks like she could have carried Wayne to the Calderon. I'll give Wayne a pass. How much weight is he feeling with all of Canada riding on his back?

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:20 AM
  #257
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Doan? Yeah, she could've made the run.

I mean seriously:



Look at her legs. Look at them! She could probably crush my spine with them. A run like that would be no problem.
Na na na na ... wha. Uh, what sport did she dominate in again?

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:20 AM
  #258
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
They must not have noticed that a person coming around the corner could - if they weren't one of the best athletes, come into the corner low and exit high and hit a 20 ton un-padded I-beam that was made to not give a centimeter.

Sure a great luger is going to survive that, but the lesser countries aren't sending athletes that get to train on tracks like that. The tracks should be prepared to allow for all athletes to compete.

All of the athletes to get here, have to qualify. That should be enough to expect that the terrain would be safe enough to not risk death or permanent dismemberment. There were enough world class athletes that have been hurt or knocked out in training to question the findings of the Olympic Committee.

The luge is supposed to start tomorrow.
Exactly. The Jamaican bobsled team didn't make it this year. They didn't qualify. Those who qualify deserve to expect they have an excellent chance at survival.

The rest of the tourney will determine if it was a fluke.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:23 AM
  #259
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Na na na na ... wha. Uh, what sport did she dominate in again?
Speed skating (what would you expect with a build like that?)

Seriously, if they ever do another Street Fighter movie, cast her as Chun-Li and CG someone else's face on.


The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:27 AM
  #260
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Speed skating (what would you expect with a build like that?)

Seriously, if they ever do another Street Fighter movie, cast her as Chun-Li and CG someone else's face on.
I think the skating outfit she's wearing in the picture also accentuates her ridiculously buff looking thighs. But yeah, it's kinda terrifying, while also being incredibly impressive.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:29 AM
  #261
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I think the skating outfit she's wearing in the picture also accentuates her ridiculously buff looking thighs. But yeah, it's kinda terrifying, while also being incredibly impressive.
I can't stop looking! She looks like a ****in superhero!

Gorgeous ...

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:30 AM
  #262
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I'm thinking he's wearing 2-3 layers underneath the "it's warm inside" outfit as he's outside, in the back of a truck heading to the second location to light the outside cauldron.
Thats charatible, but I was looking at him in the truck and his collar was open. It was about 45 degrees F when he was lighting the torch.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:38 AM
  #263
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
So I just watched the video of the Luge tragedy. Why don't they put a wall up along the track there, so people don't have a chance to fly off and hit those steel supports? Or like, uhh, pad the supports. This seem like things that shouldn't have ever been not done.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:42 AM
  #264
Roxo
Registered User
 
Roxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pearl Harbor, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Hey guys, my roomate is a sharks fan(kings fan myself, but I come in peace) and were tryng to figure out how many sharks and who are they in the olympics...

For example is dan Boyle playing for Canada? And if not, was he before his injury?

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:44 AM
  #265
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Exactly. The Jamaican bobsled team didn't make it this year. They didn't qualify. Those who qualify deserve to expect they have an excellent chance at survival.

The rest of the tourney will determine if it was a fluke.
Apparently they are making changes to the track. They are raising the top of that exit, and reducing the angle of the turn at the bottom. That's nice, but I hope they are going to give the athletes another training run or two on the new corner before they have to compete. Someone that has dedicated their life to the sport, when they hear the count-down beep - beep - beep - beep -boop .... they are going to go all out and are going to have to learn when they get to that point.

I have raced formula mazda's in my life. What you learn when you drive like that is the mistake you make on the entrance to the turn - when you are balls to the walls - will show up exactly in proportion on the exit. The 4 patches on the pavement only will hold so many G's before you are spinning. If you are unsure about the line to drive, you take it slow and build your skill. But getting a new corner on your first competing run in Monaco Grand Prix is a license to disaster. I hope the organizing commitee isn't going to compound this tragedy by not letting the athletes get a training run first.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:51 AM
  #266
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
So I just watched the video of the Luge tragedy. Why don't they put a wall up along the track there, so people don't have a chance to fly off and hit those steel supports? Or like, uhh, pad the supports. This seem like things that shouldn't have ever been not done.
A padded I beam at 90MPH is going to kill you. Hitting water at that speed will probably kill you.

Its the drop of the track and the radius of the turns that creates the speed. If the turns were less coiled, the flat speed wouldn't matter as much. The best thing they could do at this point would be to lower the start gate. The accident happened at the bottom of the track where the speed is magnified.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:52 AM
  #267
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshole View Post
Hey guys, my roomate is a sharks fan(kings fan myself, but I come in peace) and were tryng to figure out how many sharks and who are they in the olympics...

For example is dan Boyle playing for Canada? And if not, was he before his injury?
8 sharks

Canada - Boyle, Marleau, Thornton, Heatley

Sweden - Murray

USA - Pavelski

Russia - Nabokov

Germany - Greiss

Your roomie must not be that much of a sharks fan if he didn't know. This is all they've talked about for weeks now.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:56 AM
  #268
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshole View Post
Hey guys, my roomate is a sharks fan(kings fan myself, but I come in peace) and were tryng to figure out how many sharks and who are they in the olympics...

For example is dan Boyle playing for Canada? And if not, was he before his injury?
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511975

8 athletes made it for the Sharks

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:00 AM
  #269
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,480
vCash: 500
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...mes+-+Kings%29
Part of the story of Kings' JJ getting to opening ceremony

(The ESPN story I posted early now has four parts, and at least one more to come.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:07 AM
  #270
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,458
vCash: 500

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:12 AM
  #271
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
A padded I beam at 90MPH is going to kill you. Hitting water at that speed will probably kill you.

Its the drop of the track and the radius of the turns that creates the speed. If the turns were less coiled, the flat speed wouldn't matter as much. The best thing they could do at this point would be to lower the start gate. The accident happened at the bottom of the track where the speed is magnified.
I agree that padding wouldn't do a thing (you could tell by the sound of his body hitting the beam that padding wouldn't do much). And I also agree that lowering the starting gate would definitely help.

But I also think that putting up higher walls out of the turns would prevent major injuries too ... right?

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:56 AM
  #272
Shape
Go Sharks :(
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Across from the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 500
In the same ******* timezone and still can't see this **** live. Mod delete.


Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-13-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: rhetoric getting a bit heated. Tone it down, please
Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
  #273
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
In the same ******* timezone and still can't see this **** live. Mod delete
Quite. When does NBC lose their olympic contract? That network fails at everything.


Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-13-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: qep
CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
  #274
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,480
vCash: 500
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centr...tml?cid=rsstsn

Luge governing body changes start position (shorter runs), and some modifications to final turn. Proposes maximum speed for future tracks.

Bobsled and skeleton governing bodies will have to make their own descisions WRT track start location and other modifications.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:20 PM
  #275
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,885
vCash: 500
Geez, poor Jenn Heil. We're like hyper-obssessed with who is going to win gold for Canada first since it never happened in Calgary or Montreal. So now that the downhill skiing has been postponed they're piling on her to try and repeat in the moguls later today. Every single commercial bumper or break keeps harping on her being Canada's first best hope for gold. I certainly hope she hasn't been watching TV in the past few weeks.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.