HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting: Pittsburgh vs. Nashville Feb 14th Questions

Old
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

vCash: 500
Visiting: Pittsburgh vs. Nashville Feb 14th Questions

First, let me apologize for starting a new thread---I searched for an existing thread for general questions and couldn't find one.

Due to the Steeler's ineptitude in making the playoffs and now leaving me with extra time off in February and cash since I won't be in Miami this weekend for the SB, I've decided to drive to Pittsburgh for the Feb 14th game vs. the Preds before the Igloo closes. Although I've been to Pittsburgh for Steelers and Pirates games, I've never actually been to the other side of downtown near the arena so I've got a couple of questions.

1.) My tix are in down in the "Igloo Seats". They say access to the East and West Lounges as well as the Igloo Club. I couldn't really find much internet info on those areas so I was wondering if it was anything special or whatever. In some facilities these areas are pretty nice--in others it's just a separate area with a different name, so I wasn't sure what the case is at Mellon.

2.) It doesn't look like there are any bars/etc. close to the arena. Are there any walking distance places nearby for pregame festivities?

3.) When I was in Pittsburgh for the Steelers home opener in Sept, things were pretty torn up downtown and even one of the light rail stations was closed temporarily. I'm guessing things are the same?

4.) Since this will be the Pred's last game of a four game NYI/NYR/NJD/PIT road trip and the last game before the Olympic break (the mother of all "I can't wait for this road trip to end so I can get back home" games), will the Pens consider a "mercy rule" should the Preds play like they already have one foot on the bus?! Seriously, I don't want to be "that guy" wearing the visiting jersey when the camera pans the crowd and then on me showing my deep anguish and pain if the Preds decided their break started a day early.

Thanks for your help....looking forward to seeing the Preds in the Igloo for the last time.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

1. Igloo seats......well the concourse is nicer and I believe the food is better (us peons aren't allowed to go in lol). Obviously they're the better seats in the arena too.

2. There are bars, I would just ask someone when you get there. Steelhead is close, or you can walk down the hill past the new arena on your left and there are some down there (easy to spot).

3. I try not to go downtown so I can't comment, but it's for this reason so my answer would probably be yes.

4. Wear your jersey man, that's part of the fun going to an away arena. It's risky but more fun haha.

Good luck.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
AgentM

As for the bar you could check out Red Ring, which is right next to Duquesne University. It's about 2 years old, has really good food and cheap beer (for downtown anyways).

If you start at Mellon Arena and walk down the hill past the new arena (it will be on your left) you will cross 5th Ave and walk uphill to Forbes Ave. Turn left onto Forbes and you'll walk past a Barnes & Noble and a Juice place and Red Ring will be right there. Address is 1015 Forbes Ave if you want to mapquest it.

If you go, get there early to get a table. I try to be down there 2+ hrs before a game starts normally.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
First, let me apologize for starting a new thread---I searched for an existing thread for general questions and couldn't find one.

Due to the Steeler's ineptitude in making the playoffs and now leaving me with extra time off in February and cash since I won't be in Miami this weekend for the SB, I've decided to drive to Pittsburgh for the Feb 14th game vs. the Preds before the Igloo closes. Although I've been to Pittsburgh for Steelers and Pirates games, I've never actually been to the other side of downtown near the arena so I've got a couple of questions.

1.) My tix are in down in the "Igloo Seats". They say access to the East and West Lounges as well as the Igloo Club. I couldn't really find much internet info on those areas so I was wondering if it was anything special or whatever. In some facilities these areas are pretty nice--in others it's just a separate area with a different name, so I wasn't sure what the case is at Mellon.

2.) It doesn't look like there are any bars/etc. close to the arena. Are there any walking distance places nearby for pregame festivities?

3.) When I was in Pittsburgh for the Steelers home opener in Sept, things were pretty torn up downtown and even one of the light rail stations was closed temporarily. I'm guessing things are the same?

4.) Since this will be the Pred's last game of a four game NYI/NYR/NJD/PIT road trip and the last game before the Olympic break (the mother of all "I can't wait for this road trip to end so I can get back home" games), will the Pens consider a "mercy rule" should the Preds play like they already have one foot on the bus?! Seriously, I don't want to be "that guy" wearing the visiting jersey when the camera pans the crowd and then on me showing my deep anguish and pain if the Preds decided their break started a day early.

Thanks for your help....looking forward to seeing the Preds in the Igloo for the last time.
For pre-game, if you walk down past the new arena, and up the hill (as you walk up, you'll see gates that say Duquesne University), make a left at the top of the hill, and there's a place called Red Ring. The last time I was there, they had some pretty good pre game specials on booze. I didn't think their food was particularly good though.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
DockEllisExperience

1. You can buy liquor in the Igloo seats so that's a plus. They have there own bathroom, better food and more comfortable seats.

2. I'd go to souper bowl or or cafe 5th ave, they are both on, you guessed it, 5th ave. If coming from the arena go down the hill and to the right. cafe 5th ave has a goal light out front so it's hard to miss.

3. The gateway plaza T station is still closed, steel plaza (the closest to the arena) is open however.

4. No one will bother you with a Pred's jersey on.

Also, check out page 1 of the "beer and nightlife" thread in the stickies if you are looking for good places to go around town. I recommended Fat Head's if you're going to be in South Side.

Last edited by DockEllisExperience: 02-04-2010 at 02:23 PM.
DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
As for the bar you could check out Red Ring, which is right next to Duquesne University. It's about 2 years old, has really good food and cheap beer (for downtown anyways).

If you start at Mellon Arena and walk down the hill past the new arena (it will be on your left) you will cross 5th Ave and walk uphill to Forbes Ave. Turn left onto Forbes and you'll walk past a Barnes & Noble and a Juice place and Red Ring will be right there. Address is 1015 Forbes Ave if you want to mapquest it.

If you go, get there early to get a table. I try to be down there 2+ hrs before a game starts normally.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Old
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post

Okay, is it weird that my roommate looks like John Stamos? Seriously, he does...

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:38 AM
handyandy87

Hey

Didnt think I need to start other thread for what Im after, slots into this one pretty well hopefully. I am a long time lurker of this board & not a day can go by now without me feeling the need to check it out so I know there are alot good guys here & I hope you can help me out.

I am currently on holiday in New York with the missus and will be travelling up & staying in Pittsburgh for a couple of days to catch islanders & rangers games before we head back to England. They will be my first penguins games so as you can imagine Im pretty pumped and having only just seen my first couple of live NHL games in the flesh this past week (Caps Rangers at the MSG was unbelivable even if I did find myself cheering on the Rags ) I seriously can't wait!

Im only in Pittsburgh from Wednesday afternoon til Saturday morning but was interested to know if there are any penguin practise sessions I could check out in my time there? I believe they practise at a place called South Point is it but other than that I am pretty clueless on the matter?

Also if anyone could recommend any really cheap motel type places in Pittsburgh that we could stay in that would be really useful too?

Many thanks for any help you can give

handyandy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:

1. Nice is a relative term when talking about the Mellon...but yeah, Igloo seats are pretty solid..you will really enjoy them.

2. In the USX Tower, there is a bar called Cafe Euro...generally it's where the radio pre-game is broadcast from, its a mixed crowd of business men and Pens fans, but it's a nice place and you can get some decent food too. Other than that, I'd recommend hitting Carson St. or Station Sq. and catching a cab to the game.

3. Everything should be alright, we got pummeled with snow but things should be good by then. Traffic is no fun, it just depends which part of town you are heading in from...

4. As long as your jersey isn't from Philly or Washington...you should be good. Despite the reputation Steeler's fans have given the city, Pens fans are pretty good natured towards opposing fans (with the exception of the two prior teams I metnioned)...Wear your colors and have fun

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
lastcupever75
Philip thenet Kessel

unless they are (sometimes) raven or browns jersey's i've seen steeler fans treat others fans quite well at games. and i'm sitting mostly in the cheapies, not some high priced seats.

for hotels, i always seem to find some bargains in oakland. holiday inn connected to the hospital was a pretty good price for the quality.

got it thru hotwire for like $70 on the night of a steeler home game (look for 3 star hotel in oakland area)

lastcupever75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
unless they are (sometimes) raven or browns jersey's i've seen steeler fans treat others fans quite well at games. and i'm sitting mostly in the cheapies, not some high priced seats.)
You must sit in the best seats in the stadium....I go to a decent amount of Steeler's games and more often than not, there are drunken yinzers trying to pick fights with anyone in an opposing jersey...whether it be a Ravens jersey or the Sisters of the Poor...

Pittsburgh has amazing sports fans, I mean we still sell out PNC Park sometimes...that should say alot right there, but Steeler's fans, especially the older "yinzer" crowd really give this town a bad rep. At the AFC Championship game last season, we were tailgating and at the tailgate beside us were a group of 6 or so Ravens fans minding their own business...10 drunken Steeler's fans walked up and acted like morons culminating in a full can of beer being thrown off the face of one of the Ravens fans....

As Pens fans, were lucky that we don't attract the same level of idiot into the Mellon...

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
AK

Maybe I'll see you at that one.

1. I've only sat in the Igloo seats for high school games held at the arena, and the most noticeable perk you'll see is cleaner bathrooms. Extra padding on the seats is nice, but the bathrooms are the moneymakers for me.

2. My personal favorite stop is Mitchell's at 304 Ross St. It's about a three minute walk from the arena. They have a wide range of foods. You could get spaghetti, burgers, soup, pretty much anything. The Souper Bowl is also great. It's down the hill on Fifth Avenue about 70 yards from the front door of Mellon Arena. It's just past a big parking garage and in the shadows of the new building.

3. Assuming the snow is cleared off, the "T" is a good bet. The Steel Plaza stop is right at the arena.

4. The Penguins and Predators aren't rivals by any means, so I don't think you'll run into any trouble. The Mellon Arena crowd can reach outstanding heights of jackassery from time to time, but the Igloo seat crowd is probably a bit calmer. Unless you're disrespectful, you'll be fine.

Enjoy your time.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
lastcupever75
Philip thenet Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackColby20 View Post
You must sit in the best seats in the stadium....I go to a decent amount of Steeler's games and more often than not, there are drunken yinzers trying to pick fights with anyone in an opposing jersey...whether it be a Ravens jersey or the Sisters of the Poor...

Pittsburgh has amazing sports fans, I mean we still sell out PNC Park sometimes...that should say alot right there, but Steeler's fans, especially the older "yinzer" crowd really give this town a bad rep. At the AFC Championship game last season, we were tailgating and at the tailgate beside us were a group of 6 or so Ravens fans minding their own business...10 drunken Steeler's fans walked up and acted like morons culminating in a full can of beer being thrown off the face of one of the Ravens fans....

As Pens fans, were lucky that we don't attract the same level of idiot into the Mellon...
no, i was in the cheapies vs. the titans and had 2 fans with titan gear and no one gave them a hard time.

last years playoff seats were a lil better but still way in the upper deck. a ravenn fan (with his kid) weren't hassled at all.

however, the one drunk young raven fan who wanted to try and talk chit during the game was indeed picked on.
you'd have to be an idiot (redundant since he's a raven fan) to talk chit in an opposing team's stadium.

i even tried helping him out telling him he'd be better off keeping quiet and just cheering for his team. he asked me why weren't the fans harrassing him being quiet... i just shook my head.
i thought the kid was gonna get killed

there's a few idots everywhere (referring to ur story) but in general its a lot better then other places (philly oakland and NY being a couple of examples.

went to the jets game a few years ago with 3 jet fans. they had 2-3 differnet groups of gilrs come console (bust their chops a bit) as they walked out of the stadium and only were gently kidded a lil before the game

lastcupever75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Sorry to bother you again, but when I first posted this last week I didn''t know you were going to get buried under 10 feet of snow. From the news outlets I've been looking at, apparently you are having some "issues" with snow removal.

Soooo, what's it going to be like this weekend? I've basically given up trying to drive anywhere once I get to my hotel downtown, and walking anywhere seems to be kind of tough from the pictures I've seen. Do you think I could at least get a cab (which is hit or miss in my past experiences in good weather) over to the South Side? I'd hate to think I'll be stuck in my hotel this weekend. Will the chaos subside some by this weekend to the point were "getting there is NOT half the fun"?

By the way, I coming from Cincinnati---we got about a foot of snow since last weekend, so it's not like I'm "snow challenged", but a little help on what to expect would be great.

Thanks.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Sorry to bother you again, but when I first posted this last week I didn''t know you were going to get buried under 10 feet of snow. From the news outlets I've been looking at, apparently you are having some "issues" with snow removal.

Soooo, what's it going to be like this weekend? I've basically given up trying to drive anywhere once I get to my hotel downtown, and walking anywhere seems to be kind of tough from the pictures I've seen. Do you think I could at least get a cab (which is hit or miss in my past experiences in good weather) over to the South Side? I'd hate to think I'll be stuck in my hotel this weekend. Will the chaos subside some by this weekend to the point were "getting there is NOT half the fun"?

By the way, I coming from Cincinnati---we got about a foot of snow since last weekend, so it's not like I'm "snow challenged", but a little help on what to expect would be great.

Thanks.
The major street in the downtown area are pretty good at this point because the ice has finally broken up. The secondary streets still have 3 inches of packed snow and ice. As for the cabs, I don't think you'll have a problem getting a cab to South Side in downtown, as many cabs wait outside the big hotels downtown. Getting back to downtown could be the problem, I'd try to get the cab drivers number so you could call him or her to pick you up directly instead of dealing with the dispatcher.

Good luck.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I'm so bummed that the only Preds/Pens game is in Pittsburgh this year. Seeing my two favorite teams is always good times, last year was one of my favorite hockey games ever. I hope the threadstarter has fun up in Pittsburgh!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Florentino Ariza

The Mellon Arena crowd is extremely tame. It's mostly couples and families. Lots of men and women in their forties and fifties. Obviously you have the occasional obnoxious drunk yinzer running his mouth, but I've never seen anybody have problems unless they were wearing a Flyers jersey and stirring the pot themselves.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharz View Post
The Mellon Arena crowd is extremely tame. It's mostly couples and families. Lots of men and women in their forties and fifties. Obviously you have the occasional obnoxious drunk yinzer running his mouth, but I've never seen anybody have problems unless they were wearing a Flyers jersey and stirring the pot themselves.
Flyers fans get treated surprisingly well at the Igloo. We really need to reduce the cost of beer.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:29 AM
AK

Yeah, the snow isn't so awful anymore. You'll be able to do what you have to do without too much inconvenience.

This time last week, I'd have advised just staying home.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote