HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#61 - 02.12.2010 | New York Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins | 7:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
my thoughts on this game...

im not sure anyone on here has bashed Drury more than me. But what you saw today was a captain going out there and leading his team to victory. Something Drury has seldom if ever done during his tenure as a ranger. He fought, he blocked shots, and *gasp* actually did stuff in the offensive zone, setting up a goal, and nearly getting 1 or 2 himself. He crashed the net, was tenacious on the puck. In short he was everything Chris Drury has NOT been this entire season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

im not sure anyone on here has bashed Drury more than me. But what you saw today was a captain going out there and leading his team to victory. Something Drury has seldom if ever done during his tenure as a ranger. He fought, he blocked shots, and *gasp* actually did stuff in the offensive zone, setting up a goal, and nearly getting 1 or 2 himself. He crashed the net, was tenacious on the puck. In short he was everything Chris Drury has NOT been this entire season.
He was Drury playing loose like he did in Buffalo. This is the way he HAS to play in order to be successful anywhere.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:12 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:

It seemed like Drury and just about everyone else on the team had more room to work in the offensive zone tonight. I don't know if it was just lackadaisical defense on the part of the Pens, but I had to rub my eyes every now and then to make sure they weren't playing on a larger rink.

That's been Drury's problem all year -- an inability to create space for himself. Tonight, though, it wasn't and we saw the benefit.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:22 PM
ohbaby

Not too sure Drury was any different. He always plays hard. You ask me, he's just snake bitten. He still can't find the back of the net.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:38 PM
trilobyte

Quote:

You pretty well sum it up. That is what I meant earlier when I referred to him being not the regular Drury. When he took on Cooke, you could see how much he wanted it.

All I have ever said when I questioned Drury was not his salary, but what he showed on the ice.

He looked fantastic tonight. So call me crazy when I say I expect more of it.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think its also worth noting that the Pens, from their coach down to their players, definitely were looking past this game. They started their backup goalie, and really didn't play all that hard (downright lazy at times)..their captain was outstanding, but for the most part they were pretty much invisible considering how talented they are. Im not sure we should get too excited about this game....

Old
02-12-2010, 11:44 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Not too sure Drury was any different. He always plays hard. You ask me, he's just snake bitten. He still can't find the back of the net.
No. That is the myth. Many nights, he has done a few things right, won faceoffs, backchecked, blocked shots. He has been a third or fourth liner, in other words.
He is capable of more, and that is why people get mad about his contributions.
Forget the snakebitten stuff. That's a poor excuse.

He played great tonight.

Hurray, and keep doing it Chris. Now is when the team needs more of the stuff you didn't do through much of the season.
It's up to you Chris Drury. Show up more often, like you did tonight, or expect to get more criticism for not showing up.

It's pretty clear.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:49 PM
ThirdEye

How did we win

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Nick00

Quote:
i think its also worth noting that the Pens, from their coach down to their players, definitely were looking past this game. They started their backup goalie, and really didn't play all that hard (downright lazy at times)..their captain was outstanding, but for the most part they were pretty much invisible considering how talented they are. Im not sure we should get too excited about this game....
Glad I wasn't the one who had to post this.
I wish I could say that we're able to win when the other team is on their game but that's been so rare this season, and it seems like we always have to catch a team on an off night and take advantage to get two points.

Have to give credit to the team for battling their ***** off though, they deserved the win.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:55 PM
ohbaby

Drury is not strong on the puck like Dubi, Olli, Avery or even Callahan. When a defender comes to him, he must move the puck or lose it. He can't protect the puck like those others. For Drury to have success, he must find the open ice, and even then,... someone must be able to get him the puck. You saw that against Nashville early in the game, when he was being set up on the first line. He got off some good onetimers in the slot that game. Someone has got to set him up. He has a strong, accurate shot. He doesn't belong on a checking line, mucking it up in the corners.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
How did we win
Pens didnt play very hard.

Rangers played about as hard as they have all season.

Rangers barely were able to squeak by.

3 goals, first one was Dubi on a BEAUTIFUL no look spinorama pass from Drury who was a little between the corner and the back of the net, second one was on a nice saucer pass from AA to Prospal off the rush, 3rd was a lookaway shot off the rush by Jokinen (ie, he was looking pass all the way, and shot the puck without really looking at the net)

Old
02-13-2010, 12:25 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Rangers played about as hard as they have all season.

Rangers barely were able to squeak by.

3 goals, first one was Dubi on a BEAUTIFUL no look spinorama pass from Drury who was a little between the corner and the back of the net, second one was on a nice saucer pass from AA to Prospal off the rush, 3rd was a lookaway shot off the rush by Jokinen (ie, he was looking pass all the way, and shot the puck without really looking at the net)
interesting, thanks. I'll look at the video when I get a chance

This team is still pretty screwed in the long-term with the Gaborik and now Del Zotto injury. Tough break for Del Zotto. The guy is just 19 and he got 50 freaking stitches across his stomach.

Still, winning at that place is no easy feat, even if the penguins don't show up.

Old
02-13-2010, 03:06 AM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
WoW, I almost nailed it!
You ARE the messiah after all....loll.

Great win tonight! I hope Mikey D heals up and ready to go soon. Thankfully we have this two week break coming up to get a bit healthier for this stretch run.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:25 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Video quality will improve within minutes...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Have to agree. The last two games he's been much much better than he has been. Maybe the goal against NJ really woke him up. Since that point, I thought he was very good in the Nashville game and very very good tonight. So much less hesitation in his game than there has been for as long as I can remember. In a way it's unfortunate that he's doing this now, because it may only hurt our draft position at this point. However, I'll stick by what I said a few weeks ago:

If this team makes the playoffs and the right players get hot at the right time, you never know what can happen. Nobody expected Edmonton to win the West a few seasons ago. It would take a miracle for us to beat WASH or PITT in a 7 game series, and I'm not liking our chances against Jersey, Buffalo, or Ottawa right now either, but Lundqvist is capable of miracles. Keep pushing, boys. I believe.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:41 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
He has a strong, accurate shot. He doesn't belong on a checking line, mucking it up in the corners.
So, what about his strong forecheck and pass to Dubinsky?

That's the kind of play Drury has made in his career. You can call it anything you like, I call it playing hockey.

It's time Drury just kept showing up. A whole lot more of what he did tonight. Never mind this whole classification of what kind of player he is. He should just be a hockey player who helps his team.

Old
02-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
So, what about his strong forecheck and pass to Dubinsky?

That's the kind of play Drury has made in his career. You can call it anything you like, I call it playing hockey.

It's time Drury just kept showing up. A whole lot more of what he did tonight. Never mind this whole classification of what kind of player he is. He should just be a hockey player who helps his team.
I was having trouble finding the right words, but this is exactly right. When Drury is thinking less and just reacting, anticipating, and constantly MOVING, he plays 10 times better than when he's hesitating, worrying about making the wrong play, etc. When he just PLAYS HOCKEY and goes on instinct and experience, he's a much better hockey player. This whole team needs more of that. Less hesitation. More movement. More shooting the puck RIGHT AWAY. Everything to the net. Fast and hard

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:07 AM
The Thomas J.*

Good way to close out the Melon.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:13 AM
ThirdEye

I like how when Jokinen scored the announcer goes ... "and the Pittsburgh Peng... err... Rangers win it in OT!"

Old
02-13-2010, 05:40 AM
AJRanger

I can't help but ask myself "where the **** is that every other game?". This team baffles me at times, it really does - great stuff from Drury and then Rozi to pull that meatsack off of him.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I agree, and the last few minutes of the 2nd and 3rd were more typical of the Pens I'm used to seeing. They just didn't bring it the whole game and that was the difference to me.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:43 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

I agree. He looked like old Mr. Intangibles last night.

I thought that was one of the more entertaining games of the season. A bit sloppy at times but they were playing with some desperation and some real energy. I love that. Thats really all I ever ask

02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Even the intermission interviews, which are usually dull and cliche', were excellent in this game.

Dubi calling Sid a big baby

Ollie talking about how he always heard from players about how the NYR is such an amazing first class experience for players and he never really believed them until now that he is the one experiencing it.

Not sure were this guys game went sour in the past. Buthe has good energy thus far in NY. Plays hard and he's got a good shot. You can see that he actually aims the shot, unlike the 15 other Rangers who often seem to aim at the goalie

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:48 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Idk that he did much different but he was a lot more visible tonight than most nights.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:58 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

Which proves that Drury has been dogging it most of the season. The things he did last night, going into the tough areas of the ice, fighting in the corners throwing the body have nothing to do with skill and everything to do with desire. For a guy making $7 million dollars a season to not go out there and do those things every night is unforgivable.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote