HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Tambellini doesn't make changes between now and next season should he be fired

View Poll Results: If Tambellini doesn't make changes between now and next season should he be fired
Yes 93 80.17%
No 11 9.48%
Not sure yet 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Voted no because the impatience of oilers fans really bothers me. I'd rather he made no moves than bad ones, rebuilding is a long process.

The chances we see no moves between now and September is impossible, because how we handle our free agents will have a huge impact on this team going forward.
Posted via Mobile Device

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Voted no because the impatience of oilers fans really bothers me. I'd rather he made no moves than bad ones, rebuilding is a long process.

The chances we see no moves between now and September is impossible, because how we handle our free agents will have a huge impact on this team going forward.
Posted via Mobile Device

The key part of rebuilding is that you move players like Visnovsky or Souray.If you don't do this the rebuild is not a real rebuild at all.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
winfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And when we did dress him he did nothing. We need team toughness not individual toughness.
Well then we need to dump a few players to get that toughness.Anyway that you want to slice this pie Tambo to this point has done nothing to show that he has a plan.

winfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
phaedrusDH

changes need to be made. i don't think they have to be big changes...they just need to be enough to change the ethic of this team.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
nafrelio

Don't panic friends. Of course he should be fired if he doesn't make any changes to improve the team. Tambo isn't going to rush to deal when the return is likely as good or better in 2 weeks. He knows he is holding out for the true trade deadline. Almost all the players we'd like to unload are overpaid this year - so why would another team want to be paying those players to sit at home and watch the Olympics for 2 weeks? That could be 6 digit paychecks for nothing. He's already said to expect changes and that they likely wouldn't occur until the next deadline. Tambo knows that the lowball offers he's gotten now will likely increase by March 3.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Stoneman89

I think the title of the thread should be changed, as it is rather silly. Even Stanley Cup winning teams make changes from year to year.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:25 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Well said, no moves are better then bad moves. We don't have to do anything right now other then shop around and get the best posible return. If the best posible return ends up being a buyout, then so be it. But lets wait until we have 20 teams looking for a player for the playoff run rather then the half dozen who seem to be shopping right now.
If some of our players end up being unmovable, then we have to consider waivers and/or buying them out.
Changes will be made, and we have until next october to make them. Be patent...wait for the best possible return.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
A bit ironic that I get called an ass kisser like stauffer

One reason why Tambo has not made a deal is the fact his hands are tied by contracts

Would you all liked to have seen a Blake for Penner trade?

Or a gagner and Hemsky for Campbell trade?

you guys want moves done--but only if it is a clear win for the oilers

I have been saying for awhile--for the oilers to make a move with the contracts they have--they will need to take a hit ie tossing in a 2nd rounder to get an inferior player in return and that will send fans off the deep end
Yup.

There simply is no pleasing the fans. Same guy who wants a high draft pick is ripping the GM who hasn't' made a move*, to do what? Improve the team? I thought we were on the tank.

This is why people can't handle a real rebuild. No Patience.

* btw, didn't he get O'Sully last year at the deadline? How we forget.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The key part of rebuilding is that you move players like Visnovsky or Souray.If you don't do this the rebuild is not a real rebuild at all.
And what if Tambo wants to keep lubo? And feels that we'd be better off trading Souray in a year from now when he has no NTC and has proven he has no lingering injury problems?
Posted via Mobile Device

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Post View Post
He should have been fired the day he asked Katz for approval of the Khabibulin offer.
Its quickly looking like the Horcoff situation all over again and he obviously didn't learn anything from his predecessor's monumental mistakes.

TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim View Post
Its quickly looking like the Horcoff situation all over again and he obviously didn't learn anything from his predecessor's monumental mistakes.
No long term plan.

Quick fix by signing a "name"

He is almost done with me, but I still kinda like him.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:04 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
No long term plan.

Quick fix by signing a "name"

He is almost done with me, but I still kinda like him.
On his plus side, we haven't see a verbal tirade with another GM or Comrie incident though.

Besides I don't want a quick trade for the sake of trade and lose our best player Visnovsky.

TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Changes will be made, and we have until next october to make them.
That's exactly what we all thought last July

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
And what if Tambo wants to keep lubo? And feels that we'd be better off trading Souray in a year from now when he has no NTC and has proven he has no lingering injury problems?
Posted via Mobile Device
How about after July 1, 2010. Souray's NMC ends on July 1, 2010. After that the Oilers can trade him wherever they want without his permission.

02-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Bergeron47

Who here would rather have Lowe fired than Tambellini?

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Who here would rather have Lowe fired than Tambellini?
Can't we have both?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:37 AM
johnM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
So if the move he makes is Penner and Hemsky for a 4th round pick--that would make some of you guys happy?
To Edmonton: G Dany Sabourin, C Ryan Stone and a 4th Round Draft Pick in 2011
To Pittsburgh: G Mathieu Garon

To Minnesota C Kyle Brodziak
To Edmonton 2009 6th Round Pick and a 2009 4th Round Pick

To New Jersey D Tim Sestito
To Edmonton Edmonton a conditional pick

To Edmonton Ales Kotalik
To Buffalo a Second

To Carolina Erik Cole and fifth
To Edmonton Patrick O'Sullivan and a second

Came up with this list of his transactions and this is not much of a track record however he has only been GM for 19 months so give the guy some time as he really does not have a lot to work with either. He could make a trade just to make a trade to satisfy many people but that is not the way to go. He also may not be able unload some contracts like people want as sounds like other teams want pics back in addition to players and that would not be a good idea in my opinion. Just hope he can do something either at the trade deadline or at the draft. Still think he has tough job ahead of him.

johnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Cropduster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnM View Post

To Edmonton Ales Kotalik
To Buffalo a Second

Not a lot of impact moves here. I think the Eric Cole trade was by far his best although he mitigated the gains by dumping the 2nd on Kotalik at a time when we were a very outside chance to make the playoffs. That had an odour of the old Kevin Lowe "do something so I can say I tried" philosophy instead of admitting the team wasn't performing.

K-Brod was a terrible trade, an NHLer from a position of weakness for two picks unlikely to turn into anything. And all he wanted was 1.5 mil/season. Tambo may have been stuck because there was no salary left after the Horcoff extension kicked in.

He has to know that he'll get defined by what he does at the deadline and summer and so he's doing the Darcy Reghier plan of waiting as long as he can to get maximum value and may end up with nothing.

Cropduster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:29 PM
deanmoriarty

So far I'd say Lowe > Tambellini. Lowe's ****-ups like the Horcoff contract overshadow some of his great moves. He snagged Grebeshkov and Gilbert for pennies. He made great trades dumping trash for roster players Brule and Potulny. And he brought in an elite offensive defenseman, and a bonafide power forward. The trade for Stone was the only good move Tambellini has been able to make. Until he brings in some impact players Lowe is the better GM.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:54 PM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnM View Post

To Edmonton Ales Kotalik
To Buffalo a Second

Came up with this list of his transactions and this is not much of a track record however he has only been GM for 19 months so give the guy some time as he really does not have a lot to work with either. He could make a trade just to make a trade to satisfy many people but that is not the way to go. He also may not be able unload some contracts like people want as sounds like other teams want pics back in addition to players and that would not be a good idea in my opinion. Just hope he can do something either at the trade deadline or at the draft. Still think he has tough job ahead of him.
Geez was Carolina's 2nd this year or last? great if 2010.

Tambi needs to be graded on 3 things this season and summer:

1...Tambi needs to move some small fwds and clear some cap space. For me all small fwds not named Gagner, Brule, Comrie and maybe Cogs have to go regardless if the returns are great. We would have to see how Omark and Eberle tun out before making more room by moving anymore small fwds.

2...Tambi should move 2 big contracts. Candidates IMO include:Staios, Nilsson, OSullivan, Moreau, Horcoff, Gilbert, Souray. (Gold star if they can turn Penner+ into Torontos 1st)

3.. Resigned contracts...Here is the big one. What kind of team will Tambi resign this summer and at what value/duration of contract? List of players to make decisions on signing includes: Gagner, Cogliano, Comrie, Pouliot, Brule, Stone, JFJ, Potulny, Grebeshkov, Strudwick, Dubnyk and JDD.

To me this is a critical summer for laying the rebuild groundwork. Every Oiler fan should be nervous.

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
EdmFlyersfan

Tamabellini is likely being told to stand pat until the last moment, Katz and his Group want Oilers to draft Hall...they are tanking on purpose. I personally hate it when organisations do this.

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Could it be possible that the Oilers can't make a trade because the oppposing team is asking for the Oilers first round draft pick and the Oilers won't be giving up a first round pick in any trade. I double the Oilers are willing to give up a draft pick in trades.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote