HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Re-Build the team

Old
02-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Money May*

vCash: 500
Re-Build the team

Goalie Situation:

Trade Carey Price, I really like Carey but I dont think he does well under the Canadiens atmosphere and will prosper somewhere else. Jaroslav Halak has repeadidly shown he deserves the #1 spot and Montreal can benefit more if they trade Price (value wise)

Defence

Trade away all the big slow and old defence. Get rid of all the older guys and make this a young mans team and build an identity on it

Forwards

Again, trade away all the older guys for PICKS .... build from the draft and young guys. Keep guys like Cammelleri though. Build it around Cammelleri and Subban and Halak.

Price need to be moved and will prosper somewhere else.

Please!!!

Money May* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:30 AM
TheBuriedHab

If you were the Gm of another team would you honestly take on Spacek, Hammer or Gomez's Contract?

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Go Habs Go

I don't agree with a full rebuild but I do agree on trading the aging expensive defensemen like Hamrlik and Spacek.

One of the goalies need to go, we can't keep both forever.

As far as forwards go, I wouldn't trade the guys who were brought in recently like Gomez/Gionta/Cammalleri/Pouliot. But trim the fat. Get rid of the ones who are inconsistent, lack heart. Add more size. Create a real checking line.

This team needs a lot of tweaking, but not a full rehaul. Again, a lot of tweaking, not minor changes that Gauthier's doing.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 02-14-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
If you were the Gm of another team would you honestly take on Spacek, Hammer or Gomez's Contract?
It depends on how you make the trade. Honestly, Leafs fans never thought they could get rid of Jason Blake.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:34 AM
TheBuriedHab

Unless you sweeten the deal by adding picks or prospects (Which we can not do) Or take on another salary disaster (which gets us Nowhere). Plus the leafs had a lot of cap space. We have NONE

Old
02-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Anyway I don't think the habs need a full blown rebuild but like Go Habs Go said they needs some tweaking. I'm not convinced that trading our assets and hoping for a penguin type rebuild would work. Getting generational talents like Crosby and Malkin in back to back years isn't something that the habs are likely to achieve.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 02-14-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:36 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

We don't have any cap space because of bums like Hamrlik and Spacek.

At least Gomez is a proven winner an playoff performer. At least Gionta brings stability and work ethic. What do Hamrlik and Spacek bring to the table?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:38 AM
elsubz

Simply can't wait for the next win.

elsubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:40 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Simply can't wait for the next win.
Yeah then well be back in 7th... WOOT

Old
02-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Habs Junkie

I'm sorry I'm like a suicide habster tonight... throw me out! i'm fed up. I can be racist and a hater tooo! FU

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:57 AM
not quite yoda

i think building on what we have is a better idea. we have alot of good pieces. we haven t had a healthy team all year. look at our record with vs without markov. he was injured on game one for how long?

we re bound to have better luck with injuries next year.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

My proposal (done in the offseason)

Cammalleri, Price/Halak (whoever they want), Pacioretty, Spacek

for

Backes, Berglund, Pietrangelo

Get an elite prospect, a big winger and a big centre. Basically all our needs. Losing Cammalleri hurts but Backes scored 30+ goals last year and plays physical. Not sure if STL wants to give up on that much youth though. And we still get to keep our first round pick, while saving tons of cap space.

Lineup

SK (1M) - Pleks (5M) - AK (3.25M)
Pouliot (2.5M) - Gomez (7.4M) - Gionta (5M)
3rd line winger w/ offensive upside - Berglund (1.2M)- Backes (2.5M) (finally... size and scoring depth)
Moen (1.5M) - Lapierre (0.7M) - Pyatt/White/Moore (1M)
D'Ago (0.5M)

Markov (5.75M) - OB (0.9M)
Hamrlik (5.5M) - Pietrangelo (3.2M)
Gill (2.25M) - Subban (0.9M)
Gorges (1.1M) (only cause I love the pairings)

Halak/Price (3.2M)
Vet backup (0.7M)

Total= about 56.7M (including a Laraque buyout)

So about 2M (and I think I was pretty generous with some of the contracts) left to sign a third liner. Maybe Steve Ott or Matt Cooke?

Anyway, that's my mini-rebuild without tanking to make everyone happy.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:47 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Cammalleri, Price/Halak (whoever they want), Pacioretty, Spacek

for

Backes, Berglund, Pietrangelo

Get an elite prospect, a big winger and a big centre. Basically all our needs. Losing Cammalleri hurts but Backes scored 30+ goals last year and plays physical. Not sure if STL wants to give up on that much youth though. And we still get to keep our first round pick, while saving tons of cap space.

Lineup

SK (1M) - Pleks (5M) - AK (3.25M)
Pouliot (2.5M) - Gomez (7.4M) - Gionta (5M)
3rd line winger w/ offensive upside - Berglund (1.2M)- Backes (2.5M) (finally... size and scoring depth)
Moen (1.5M) - Lapierre (0.7M) - Pyatt/White/Moore (1M)
D'Ago (0.5M)

Markov (5.75M) - OB (0.9M)
Hamrlik (5.5M) - Pietrangelo (3.2M)
Gill (2.25M) - Subban (0.9M)
Gorges (1.1M) (only cause I love the pairings)

Halak/Price (3.2M)
Vet backup (0.7M)

Total= about 56.7M (including a Laraque buyout)

So about 2M (and I think I was pretty generous with some of the contracts) left to sign a third liner. Maybe Steve Ott or Matt Cooke?

Anyway, that's my mini-rebuild without tanking to make everyone happy.
st. louis are re-building. when you re-build you don t trade away several pieces of your young core.

Old
02-14-2010, 02:55 AM
marc88

can't everyone calm down..we are missing half our team which happen to be our better players. Of course we are going to lose some games to teams that are healthy. Re evaulate after the olympic break.

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
st. louis are re-building. when you re-build you don t trade away several pieces of your young core.
They get two very young players in return, one of which has franchise potential (whichever goalie). We know they need a #1 Goaltender for the future, and we know they're missing a top goalscorer with their heavy pursuit of Kovalchuk. They're not rebuilding anymore, they have many very good young roster players and prospects, and it's time to deal 1-2 away in a quality vs. quantity type of deal. At least that's what most teams in their of situation try to do. ie: LA

I'm not gonna try and say they'd do it for sure, just trying to show what I think they would do.

What do you think of the value?

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:08 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
At least Gomez is a proven winner an playoff performer. At least Gionta brings stability and work ethic. What do Hamrlik and Spacek bring to the table?
- hammer has proved to be a strong top 4 for us ... he plays with calm , passion , likes the city and the fans, has offensive flair and defensively , he's arguably our best and most complete dman imho. his salary ... oh well migh as well slap bob in the face one more time, but I'm really glad hammer joined us as a ufa and has played the way he has .

- spacek was brought here to be used as a point man on the pp and be a reliable top 4 guy ...(and in this case, what we paid for makes sense) the 1rst thing we did when he came, is ask a 35 years old to play on the right side, a side he was clearly not comfortable with. then again, one is entitled to ask this question ; why do we have 7 left dman on our team ? and then why do we ask a 35 year old to change some habbits that he developed over a successful nhl career ? ...

one thing I know, if it wasnt for hammer and spacek, we would be dead last in conference, asking ourselves if picking up jeff finger is the right thing to do. 18-20 mins a game ? they will be hailed as heroes, keep playing them 25 mins ? they'll show signs of fatigue at some point ...which they have... that olympic break is great imo.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:14 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc88 View Post
can't everyone calm down..we are missing half our team which happen to be our better players. Of course we are going to lose some games to teams that are healthy. Re evaulate after the olympic break.
All our good players are overpaid UFAs. That's a good sign it's time for a rebuild.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This team is dope. Habs management gives us some names to worship, mixes it with playoff hope, and injects it into our veins. Then there's a failure, an excuse or two, but the junkie keeps coming back for more.

The mediocrity is there, instilled now in 5 year contract terms, the profit is there too, this year's excuse (injuries) is already on the minds of the addicts. The dealer is happy.

A rebuild is tough to do, and might be impossible for the middle of the pack management team this organization is blessed with, but there really is no motivation for the dealer to improve the quality of the crack.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post

When Markov is out, those two are out top defencemen.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:24 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
It depends on how you make the trade. Honestly, Leafs fans never thought they could get rid of Jason Blake.
And Rangers fans never thought they could get rid of Gomez... before "Mother Theresa" Gainey came in to help Rangers replacing Gomez by Gaborik.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Habs are 15-8-3 with Markov in the lineup, despite other players missing in that time span. They are 14-20-3 without him.

We have 4 potential 30 goal scorer (with one almost sure to get close to 40), yet 3 of them are out.

If Pouliot, Cammy, AK and Gio can stay moderately healthy throughout a hole season, we'll be quite ok on offense. And with Markov, Subban and Gorges in the backend, all we'll really need to do is get rid of Hammer to replace him with someone better with about the same cap hit. Only two names come to mind for the 2010 UFA market (Niedermayer or Gonchar) or might try it up with the 2011 market which will have Chara, Jovanovski, Kaberle, Phillips and Ehrhoff among others. For those wondering if a team would take on Hammer's salary, I think a team like the Islanders would probably throw a pick away to get Hammer for one season, the risk wouldn't be big for them and would make them better on defense. Anyway, trading Hammer shouldn't be a problem. Spacek might be harder to trade, although if you can free up his cap space, then you'll have quite enough money to re-sign the rest of the pack, and then some.

In the next two years, we'll see a relative rehaul of the D-corp, as Mara, Gill, Hammer and Spacek will leave by then (13 mil cap space total), leaving us with a core of Markov, Subban, Gorges and O'Byrne, which will be relatively cheap, and left with a lot of money to spend to fill the small void on defense.

But besides this, I don't see a point for a re-build. We have 6 very good top 6 players, and the gap from the bottom 6 will easily be fixed with time as young players progress.

We're on the right path, if we can only get rid of the injury bug.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:37 AM
S1C1L1AN78

Fire Martin make Guy Boucher head coach and Patrick Roy assiatan coach / goalie coach

S1C1L1AN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:39 AM
ReVeuF

If they fire Martin, this season Habs will be paying 3 coaches (Carbo, Martin and Martin's replacement).

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:47 AM
not quite yoda

I've come to the conclusion that people on the habs board over react alot.

2 good games of subban and "he's god". 2 losses to the flyers and we have to re-build.

we've had as many injuries as any other team this year and yet we are in the thick of the playoff race.

remember that year we finished 1st in the east? that entire season we had 1 major injury that last 5 games if i remember and it was to Hamrlik. That's all. everyone else was healthy all year.

No one around here seems to realize the impact that mass injuries have on a club.

Old
02-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Darth Joker

I really don't think that Hamrlik would be as hard to move as people make him out to be.

Yes, he has a big contract, but he is a very solid and versatile top 4 defenseman. It's just that he doesn't have the right sort of players in Montreal to compliment him (Hamrlik would be at his best if paired with a hard-hitting defensive defenseman that would allow Hamrlik to offensively roam a bit).

I think that Harmlik could be a great fit on many contending teams.

There's also the fact that he only has one year on his contract after this season... so whatever team gets him wouldn't be on the hook for a big contract for too much longer.

Darth Joker is online now   Reply With Quote