HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts is out of control

Old
02-14-2010, 06:24 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Torts is out of control

Quote:
So seriously, after watching the Rangers-Nashville game on Wednesday, who do you think needs more work on discipline and self-control, the 19-year-old rookie defenseman who chirped at a referee, or the 51-year-old head coach who berated the kid with fury in public view at the bench?

John Tortorella came about as close as possible to going Bobby Knight on Michael Del Zotto after the freshmanís unsportsmanlike conduct penalty helped put the Blueshirts in a hole from which they did not recover, even though they had 23:50 of hockey left to score a goal.

No one can convince me Tortorella was in control of himself at that moment, though a good five minutes had elapsed since Del Zotto was hit with a double minor the team almost killed. It looked as if the coach was going to put his hands on the young man.

Had Tortorella done that, had he grabbed him by the arm or shoulder, he would be gone. If Tortorella ever does anything like that, he will be gone. No team can have that, college or pro.

As a matter of full disclosure, Tortorella and I have not exchanged a word since Philadelphia. But I donít need my mouth or ears to see. What I saw Wednesday was a lack of discipline similar to last yearís Game 5 water bottle incident in Washington, where rage replaced reason.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0fVpV0if5

Larry stirring the pot with Torts.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 02-14-2010 at 09:48 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:30 AM
turcotte8

Overreact much, Larry?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:36 AM
truebluegoalie

If this was written by anyone else but Larry Brooks I might agree.

Is Tortorella the best coach for young players?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:39 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Larry must have recieved another bus stop-shalacking.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:55 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

why stop the john tortorella nightmare ride at this point? i'm figuring the longer he remains coach, the sooner sather's days end in NY.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:57 AM
KRM

A little bit over the top there Larry.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:06 AM
shon

Actually I totally agree with Larry. Torts has no right to touch a player. There are laws that even apply to hockey. I thought it was not necessary to publicly do what he did . sit him a few shifts . talk to him but what he did was totally unacceptable.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King of cool
The winning hat

I miss JJ.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
morffin

Shut Up , Larry.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Levitate

Yeah Larry, no coach has ever yelled at his players before. You're on the right track here

This is basically a character assassination article. How long has Tortorella been coaching in some capacity at the NHL level? Has he ever hit a player or done something that Larry Brooks is stopping just short of accusing him? Has this ever been a problem? No. Brooks needed something to write about so he's trumping up some ********. I find Brooks' behavior more disgusting than anything Tortorella has done here

Last edited by Levitate: 02-14-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:35 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
Actually I totally agree with Larry. Torts has no right to touch a player. There are laws that even apply to hockey. I thought it was not necessary to publicly do what he did . sit him a few shifts . talk to him but what he did was totally unacceptable.
read the article again Brooks states quite clearly that Tortorella did not do that but then insinuates if he'd had done it he'd be fired cause there is no place in hockey for it. Brooks is a muck-racker of the highest order and knows very little about a game he's never played, nor the dynamic between coach and players

I have only one question

Does Tortorella have a rule in New York about players chirping at referees needlessly, because he sure as heck did in Tampa. This was the reason for a lot of the friction between he and Vinny, when suddenly Vinny outgrew his britches. Maybe the same thing is going on with young Michael and Tortorella is merely nipping it in the bud

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:40 AM
dedalus

Brooks shouldn't even bother writing about Tortorella. The well is poisoned. They neither of them have an ounce of credibility when talking about the other.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
The Thomas J.*

If Larry knows better than he should lobby to become coach of the NYR himself. Until than **** JO.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:07 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Larry Brooks is awful. And I didn't know looked like E.T so much.

Attachment 37892
Attachment 37893

Last edited by BroadwayBlues: 04-20-2011 at 07:57 PM.
BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Does anyone other than Larry brooks care about this supposed feud? It's getting sad now.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:25 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Does anyone other than Larry brooks care about this supposed feud? It's getting sad now.
EJ Radek and Milbury didn't like what Tortorella did.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:30 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
lol did you read the article? Torts never touched MDZ. Larry is just speculating what would happen if he did.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blue68

Send a message via AIM to blue68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0fVpV0if5

Larry stirring the pot with Torts.
"A full five minutes after"
This occurred when Del Zotto was just returning to the bench from the penalty box after Nashville scored after a nearly four-minute PK -- reading this biased accounting and not seeing the game gives a whole different picture.

If Del Zotto is that fragile he doesn't belong in the NHL. "Young man" or seasoned vet he deserved what he got when he returned to the bench.

And there are other coaches who react the same way -- clearly remember last year Ruff screaming endlessly at Afinogenov. Countless other coaches/ players in the same situation. It is not just Tortorella.

Brooks has an agenda and unfortunately he gets paid for it.

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tikkanese

Mike Milbury didn't like it? Then it's probably a good idea. Talk about useless blowhards...

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:32 AM
CaptainCallahan*

Hey where can I find that sweet Larry Brooks Avatar that someone made, where it says I got beat up at the bus stop, and he's looking for the journalist who was laughing at him? That was priceless!

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
EJ Radek and Milbury didn't like what Tortorella did.
Great. 2 people who's opinions I respect even less than Brooks'. What did Pierre McGuire have to say?

Really, that's not even the issue here. The scenario Brooks puts forth never happened and was never going to. He shoe-horned a personal dig into what was otherwise a timely and interesting piece.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:39 AM
The Beezer

Seriously after that tremdous game they played in Pittsburgh the other night. This is the crap he wants to write this morning? How about something positive Larry. This is just ridiculous and makes me understand a little more why Torts can't stand the guy.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Frankly, the only item in the article I found interesting was this blurb at the end -

Quote:
Finally, it took just one trade — a second-rounder to rent Dominic Moore — to explain why newly installed Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier went seven years between jobs after being dismissed by the Ducks in 2002.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:50 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Great. 2 people who's opinions I respect even less than Brooks'. What did Pierre McGuire have to say?

Really, that's not even the issue here. The scenario Brooks puts forth never happened and was never going to. He shoe-horned a personal dig into what was otherwise a timely and interesting piece.
Totally agree. As far as I'm concerned, JT should never answer another LB question for as long as he's coach - that's a just reward for writing trash like this.

And what was the result of MDZ's penalty again? Oh, yeah, the other team scored the GWG on the PP and the Rangers lost. He deserved to be unloaded on. He hurt the team and did so as foolishly as you possibly can - by yelling at the refs. Even Avery doesn't get penalties like this - you have to wonder what MDZ said.

You can argue about coaching styles, etc... but this is just a character assassination by someone who clearly has a grudge. Why not write about what (arguably) is their best victory of the year @ Pittsburgh down 2 starters?

LB can suck it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Larry Brooks calling Tort's "out of control".

If that isnt the pot calling the kettel black.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote