HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Southern Hospitality; Chatty, chat, chat

Old
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
66Falconboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I am the Principle Software Architect at PureSafety which is an online occupational health and safety training company.
JLSG--I'm in the middle of taking a 10-HR OSHA course with PureSafety. It's been really interesting. Nice work!

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Drake, what would it take to convince you to root for a rival? Say Detroit, Calgary, Vancouver, or San Jose. You might be just the kiss of death one of those clubs needs

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Drake, what would it take to convince you to root for a rival? Say Detroit, Calgary, Vancouver, or San Jose. You might be just the kiss of death one of those clubs needs
Good question. Well lets see....

I guess I could offer my fandom to the highest bidder. Or a night out on the town in each rival city. The most fun I have I will grant them the kiss of death.

I believe Detroit would naturally be safe from me winning that contest. I've always wanted to go to Vancouver, and my friend has been to Calgary twice and has nothing but good things to say about it, but preliminary indications show that Chicago is the winner. I love that place. Hawks, watch out I'm coming for you.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Well I'm MemphisHockeyFan and as you guessed it, I live in Memphis.

I'm a 23 year old female college student majoring in math. I grew up with the Memphis Riverkings, occasionally saw a game but really didn't become a die hard sports fan until later. Ice hockey was the only sport I could really get into. It is my first love. I don't know where my life would be without the game . It's that serious to me.

There are very few hockey fans here. Occasionally I'll see someone wearing something hockey geared, but when I walk up to them they are like --"I just liked the design, I don't follow hockey." When people hear that I'm an ice hockey fan, they have this reaction . I guess I'm not your 'typical' hockey fan but whatever. I love the game and I love my Preds.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:06 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
JLSG--I'm in the middle of taking a 10-HR OSHA course with PureSafety. It's been really interesting. Nice work!
Thank You. I don't work on the content, I build the delivery and management systems. We have some really good and creative people doing the content.
In case you didn't know, using PureSafety is indirectly supporting the Preds. We are part of Thompson Cat. D. Thompson V is on the ownership team.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Well I'm MemphisHockeyFan and as you guessed it, I live in Memphis.

I'm a 23 year old female college student majoring in math. I grew up with the Memphis Riverkings, occasionally saw a game but really didn't become a die hard sports fan until later. Ice hockey was the only sport I could really get into. It is my first love. I don't know where my life would be without the game . It's that serious to me.

There are very few hockey fans here. Occasionally I'll see someone wearing something hockey geared, but when I walk up to them they are like --"I just liked the design, I don't follow hockey." When people hear that I'm an ice hockey fan, they have this reaction . I guess I'm not your 'typical' hockey fan but whatever. I love the game and I love my Preds.
We sound a lot alike! Female college students with a love of math and the same feeling about hockey. It is the only sport that I am into. I tried to get into soccer when I was in Europe and I do like it, but I don't follow any teams.

As for people's reaction when they find out you like hockey, I had the same reaction. I am really into rock music and I look like it, so people were surprised to hear that I was into any sport period. Now that people around school know that though, they are so excited to tell me they went to a game or that the Preds won. It's pretty cute how they all know that I am the hockey guru. I'll cheer whenever I see someone wearing Preds gear and when they give me a funny look, I point to their shirt. At least I'm in Nashville though so there are probably more hockey fans around!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Actually Drake, I thought about it. If you simply root for a team in hopes of cursing them the hockey gods will take revenge on the Predators. I guess Nashville will have to be the city to break the cycle.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm a moderator. I moderate. If you want more details PM me and I might sneak you into the book.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:50 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Lisa....My first hockey game was the Nashville SouthStars when I was a baby, but obviously I don't remember it. The first I do remember was the Knights and that first game I was hooked. My parents are from Johnstown, PA (~90 miles east of Pittsburgh) so I grew up loving everything Pittsburgh and still do, Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt Panthers. I went to University of Pittsburgh and while there I took part, many many many times, in the now famous Student Rush program (my favorite story to tell is one game me and a sister from NYC/Ranger fan went to a Pens/Rangers game and got seats 7 rows from the ice for $20 and we went over by where the Rangers came out onto the ice and were just complete fools...omg there's Messier!, there's this guy, that guy, etc. and they looked at us like O..M..G..., it was frickin' awesome ). And everytime the Preds came I made sure I was there.

Anyway, my parents had season tickets for all the Knights, Knighthawks, IceFlyers teams here and when the Preds came we got tickets for them, too. Pretty much from October to June is spent watching/listening to hockey games. If I go back to Johnstown for Thanksgiving or Christmas I always try to go to a Chiefs game and make sure to wear Predators clothes whenever I can.

So about me...I guess I'm a typical girl (I like shopping, going to the beach in the summer, traveling anywhere really, growing flowers, country and southern classic rock music), I just have a high love of sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
First Preds game was the Halloween game in 98 against the Avs.
Mine, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus
I love growing my garden during the spring (I actually got lost in my own corn last year and screamed for Shoeless Joe Jackson to save me),
Picturing someone in a cornfield lost is hilarious.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:20 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

So are any of you guys STH? I sit in section 329 most of the time unless we decide to upgrade.

Old
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
So are any of you guys STH? I sit in section 329 most of the time unless we decide to upgrade.
I'm in 203. I decided on that section once I realized I could get an aisle seat right by the restroom and the concession stand. The fact that there's a bar about 30 seconds walk from my seat helped too.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:34 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
We sound a lot alike! Female college students with a love of math and the same feeling about hockey. It is the only sport that I am into. I tried to get into soccer when I was in Europe and I do like it, but I don't follow any teams.

As for people's reaction when they find out you like hockey, I had the same reaction. I am really into rock music and I look like it, so people were surprised to hear that I was into any sport period. Now that people around school know that though, they are so excited to tell me they went to a game or that the Preds won. It's pretty cute how they all know that I am the hockey guru. I'll cheer whenever I see someone wearing Preds gear and when they give me a funny look, I point to their shirt. At least I'm in Nashville though so there are probably more hockey fans around!
That's awesome!

I saw a guy with a Preds sweatshirt on the other day and I went up to him and introduced myself. He looked so frightened. Poor kid. I swear I'm not that intimidating. He told me he was VERY new to the game and didn't know much about it--all while walking away from me. This is why I hate living here. You can't even connect with a fellow fan. I was very nice and I even told him that it was great to see more people start following the game. People are always scared that a stranger is going to bust a cap or something. My goodness.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:40 PM
66Falconboy

Quote:
We're in 328--we have the 13-game pack.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:27 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Hi, I'm Codey, and I sit in the last row of 303.

anything else, you'll have to make the trek up to say hello.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:11 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Hi, I'm Codey, and I sit in the last row of 303.

anything else, you'll have to make the trek up to say hello.
Would you be freaked out if I actually did that?
"Hey Codey, you said you sit here on HF Boards. 'Sup?"
Not that I will, I'm just wondering.

Does anybody go down for preskate? I'm always on the glass, usually taking pictures. I have like a zillion pictures of the same shot yet I still take more. I can't help it.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
My dad and I have been in 306 since 98. Even though he is the only one of us up there now since I'm gone.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Quote:
Would you be freaked out if I actually did that?
"Hey Codey, you said you sit here on HF Boards. 'Sup?"
Not that I will, I'm just wondering.
Believe it or not, it happens. Once I started helping out with Section303.com, people stop by to say hello to me and Jeremy.. so as long as you introduce by site/screenname, I'm good... and it keeps the wife from asking questions.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Believe it or not, it happens. Once I started helping out with Section303.com, people stop by to say hello to me and Jeremy.. so as long as you introduce by site/screenname, I'm good... and it keeps the wife from asking questions.
I've twice tried to introduce myself walking into the Sommet Center when we've been crossing paths pre-game at the bottom of the escalators, but alas...both times you're attention has been diverted away and I just continue to my seat...one of these days we'll meet up...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Hahahah. I didn't even know you helped with Section303.com, that's awesome! Maybe I'll get the balls to come up there and introduce myself sometime.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:56 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I've twice tried to introduce myself walking into the Sommet Center when we've been crossing paths pre-game at the bottom of the escalators, but alas...both times you're attention has been diverted away and I just continue to my seat...one of these days we'll meet up...
just grab my shoulder or something.. you might get a funny look for a second or two, but then I'll figure it out when you say hello.

I do apologize though, I'm usually in 'get through the crowd mode' when I'm on the concourse level

Quote:
Hahahah. I didn't even know you helped with Section303.com, that's awesome! Maybe I'll get the balls to come up there and introduce myself sometime.
Yep, in fairness to this site and the mods i don't advertise it.. but yep. that site's my baby now.

Old
02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
just grab my shoulder or something.. you might get a funny look for a second or two, but then I'll figure it out when you say hello.

I do apologize though, I'm usually in 'get through the crowd mode' when I'm on the concourse level
Thought about it once, but you looked focused and I didn't want to startle you...

I too am usually in a "get out of my way" mood heading to my seat. Those that sit around me can tell you I'm very focused before and during the games and talk to the players throughout play...thankfully, I've been sitting around the same folks since the lockout and don't think they mind it that much

Old
02-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Yep, in fairness to this site and the mods i don't advertise it.. but yep. that site's my baby now.
If you become a sponsor, you are allowed to post a link to your site in your signature...

http://hfboards.com/payments.php

Old
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
If you become a sponsor, you are allowed to post a link to your site in your signature...

http://hfboards.com/payments.php
I'm becoming a sponsor as soon as my rookie period is up (45 days total, that's in another 20ish days) as a reward for being here that long, hahah.

I always go straight to the glass for preskate, trying to secure a spot that's in the aisles and not in front of someone's seat. Sorry if anyone here has seats on the glass but those people are usually a-holes. Got in a verbal back and forth fight with a woman at the Sharks game. She made me move my stuff out of her seat (fair enough), then said it was in her friend's seat so I'd have to put my purse on the floor (okay...), then said it was in her feet's way on the floor (grr), and then asked if I could move over because she couldn't sit comfortably! I was like, "come on lady, you get to sit here for the entire game. Can't you let some other big fans watch the Preds skate for the next 7 minutes?" Some people are so rude...

Old
02-14-2010, 11:56 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Considering the $$$$ people are dropping for those seats, they have the right to demand you get out of the way. i recently had second row seats as a reward from the Ambassador's Club.. and i was shocked what the sticker price was on them.

Old
02-15-2010, 12:04 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Considering the $$$$ people are dropping for those seats, they have the right to demand you get out of the way. i recently had second row seats as a reward from the Ambassador's Club.. and i was shocked what the sticker price was on them.
These people didn't look like fans, they looked more like they had gotten tickets through some corporation. Regardless, it's not my place to judge, it was their seats afterall, but I felt like she was being difficult on purpose when I could clearly tell she didn't give two ***** about the game or the players. She and her friend continued their conversation of shoes and shopping without even looking in the direction of the players. Not to mention, they aren't technically their seats until 7pm... not that I would stand there and tell someone that, but you'd think that people would expect fans to be down on the glass for preskate and if you really don't care about watching it, maybe consider sitting 3 rows back for ten minutes so people who care can watch. Just my opinion.