HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Possible 24-28-NHL game season?

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Tao Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Yes, but the Devils went from being the NHL's 2nd best team to being the 10th best team in 1995. That's a significant drop.

The Devils didn't play that same counter-attack style in 93-94 that they did in late 1995.

I'm not sure why Devils fans get all uptight when people bring up the "trap" as a reason why the Devils won a Stanley Cup. In the NFL Belichek is hailed as a genius for creating different defenses. Devils fans take it as a slight.

IMO I only attribute the first devils Cup to the system. At that time it was new, and teams didn't understand what to do. That wasn't the case in 2000 or 2003.
No slight taken. But I still maintain that the players' personal decision to stay in game shape during the stoppage contributed to their health during the '95 run, not to take anything away from the trap. I've never had a problem with it or found it boring, just zen-like, using their opponents energy against them.

Glad to see you recognize the trap with counter-attack as a creative "offensive" system though.

Old
01-21-2005, 07:39 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
No slight taken. But I still maintain that the players' personal decision to stay in game shape during the stoppage contributed to their health during the '95 run, not to take anything away from the trap. I've never had a problem with it or found it boring, just zen-like, using their opponents energy against them.

Glad to see you recognize the trap with counter-attack as a creative "offensive" system though.
As a hockey fan, I'm still very much against the "trap". Hockey is much more entertaining when teams are forechecking aggresively. I also believe that it's more effective,l if you have the right personnel.

Old
01-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
As a hockey fan, I'm still very much against the "trap". Hockey is much more entertaining when teams are forechecking aggresively. I also believe that it's more effective,l if you have the right personnel.
Yeah, the Devils like when teams are forechecking aggressively too, it wears the other team out. If you choose your breaks timely and efficiently, your legs are fresher for the waning minutes. Passively letting opponents dictate the pace and never exceeding the other teams energy level except only when wide open opportunities are created, has allowed the Devils to remain strong and endure deep into the playoffs. Their style of play promotes career longevity. Their work ethic on and off the ice produces success.

Closed Thread