HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts is out of control

Old
02-14-2010, 11:46 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
At least it's kind of funny.

I watch sports for entertainment so I shamelessly enjoy stuff like this.

It's why I love Avery. People can argue about him all they want but at the end of the day I love him cause he cracks me the hell up.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
brooks needs to stop making his articles personal. he loses whatever credability he still may have.

that said, i cant stand tortorella either.

fire torts
Torts brought this on himself. He shouldve known better, then again youre talking about a guy who let a fan get to him during a playoff game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Again, are you ignoring the fact Torts pretty much did the same thing to Larry in a professional setting just a short time ago??

You get back what you give.
Didn't that start over a something Brooks wrote about Redden that Torts didn't like?
He stood up for his player, sure he probably could have picked a better way to do it, but I have no problem with that.
Brooks is one always trying to start something so he has something to write about instead of just covering the team.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:55 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Cry me a river Brooks. Del Zotto was stupid and cost his team for not controlling himself. Yeah he's young but he isnt a child and he deserved the ear pull he got from Torts. Grow up larry.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Didn't that start over a something Brooks wrote about Redden that Torts didn't like?
He stood up for his player, sure he probably could have picked a better way to do it, but I have no problem with that.
Brooks is one always trying to start something so he has something to write about instead of just covering the team.
Brooks job is to sell papers, Torts should act/know better in everyone of these scenarios. Larry is waiting to pounce, Torts gives him a longer leash to do so.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Cry me a river Brooks. Del Zotto was stupid and cost his team for not controlling himself. Yeah he's young but he isnt a child and he deserved the ear pull he got from Torts. Grow up larry.
Wasnt this the first time Del Z received a penalty for mouthing off? Not like the kid has a mouth on him, this was his first offense.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
EJ Radek and Milbury didn't like what Tortorella did.
Wow. An Islanders fan/Rangers basher in Radek and a ****ing moron in Milbury.

Like I give a **** what either have to say.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'm no Brooks fan, but i agree that Torts shouldnt have done that in public. In fact I didn't think it was necessary at all, that WAS a borderline call on Del Z, glad he stuck up for himself, NHL refs are so testy.

But of course, its one incident this year, if he does it again then Larry would have a point.

If it were Avery would Torts have reacted the same way?
Please. Del Zotto should have kept his ****ing mouth shut. Tortorella was right to berate him. It will make him a better player in the long run. Tortorella has given Del Zotto tons of ice time and a lot of respect for a 19 year old kid.

Tough love is sometimes the best form of love. I would have done the same thing that Tortorella did.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Please. Del Zotto should have kept his ****ing mouth shut. Tortorella was right to berate him. It will make him a better player in the long run. Tortorella has given Del Zotto tons of ice time and a lot of respect for a 19 year old kid.

Tough love is sometimes the best form of love. I would have done the same thing that Tortorella did.
Yup.

Sorry this isn't High School where your parents can take a fit with a coach because they scolded their kids poor play. He's a man, playing as a professional, and getting paid to do a job. Would Brooks write an article about how his boss reprimanded for his inept coverage of the Rangers? I don't think so. Brooks is not even worth reading when it comes to Torts because his bias is so blatant it's ridiculous.

I don't like everything Torts does, and I don't hate everything Brooks writes, but I fail to see how this an issue. DZ made a poor decision, and Torts made sure he knows not to do it again. No harm no foul. Torts has been showing DZ love all season, this one incident will not change that. He was on the ice the rest of the game.

People are really overreacting here.

02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Wow. An Islanders fan/Rangers basher in Radek and a ****ing moron in Milbury.

Like I give a **** what either have to say.
LOL Radek is an idiot, I hate it when he's on NHL Live.

And Milbury? LOL he hits fans with shoes... he has no right to talk about Torts disciplining a player.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:02 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

The problem is no one can respect Torts because he doesn't practice what he preaches. That's what this comes down to. No one is saying the things he does are wrong. The problem is no one can take him seriously because he doesn't hold himself to the same standards. He's a do as I say not as I do type of person. And that's embarrassing.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:24 PM
darko

LMAO @ Brooks. Go and catch a bus or something...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
The problem is no one can respect Torts because he doesn't practice what he preaches. That's what this comes down to. No one is saying the things he does are wrong. The problem is no one can take him seriously because he doesn't hold himself to the same standards. He's a do as I say not as I do type of person. And that's embarrassing.
Torts has yelled at tons of players on this team. I don't care if he blows a gasket sometimes. I'm sure he's hard on himself (we'd never know it since we don't live with the guy).

He's held the players to a certain standard. He's benched/demoted vets. He's screamed at them.

I have no problem with what he's done for the most part.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:32 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

man i think it's hysterical torts would rip anyone a new one for discipline. this is the same torts that got himself suspended from a freaking playoff game LMAO.

torts is a clown and a tool. brooks is a muck-raker, and this article was inflammatory nonsense.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Torts has yelled at tons of players on this team. I don't care if he blows a gasket sometimes. I'm sure he's hard on himself (we'd never know it since we don't live with the guy).

He's held the players to a certain standard. He's benched/demoted vets. He's screamed at them.

I have no problem with what he's done for the most part.
I don't have a problem either. Not with this incident. What does Brooks think this is, cradle school? What was Tortorella on the verge of doing to MDZ? The kid's wearing full hockey equipment. He wasn't benched for the entire game, either. As such a young player he's been a bigger part of this team than most 19-year-olds usually are at that point in their careers. So Tortorella let him now how serious the mistake he made was.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Say what you will about Uncle Larry...he always gets the job done and isn't afraid to lash out when he see's something he doesn't like. Whether or not he has to face the players in the room after the next game, Brook will still call iyt like he sees it. For that I commend him.

Torts tirade on Brooks was totally uncalled for and comepletly unprofessional. Sorry, people might have gotten a quick laugh about it, but this is supposed to be the leader of this team. That outburst was just once again how Torts deflects anything that he doesn't want to answer.

I still see Brooks and Andrew Gross as the 2 best beat writers for the Rangers.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
FLYLine24*

Boy is this ever getting old fast with Larry....shut up already.

Oh nooes...a player got yelled out for taking a bad penalty....MDZ is RUINED!

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Hockify

Quote:
One question to all the peeps bashing Larry. Again, i'm not even a fan of his, but I think this is key: Didn't Larry recently ask Torts a valid hockey question to only see Torts turn on him and act like a bias jerk?

To me, they are both guilty, and for what? Its silly BS, but in both cases, the Philly game and now this, Larry has a point.
I agree with you.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:08 PM
In The Flesh

I like Larry a lot. He speaks for us fans. Larry keeps it real.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

He seemed really upset and dejected during his interview today, didn't he?

Cannot believe anyone has a problem with this. I mean, people honestly think this is going to effect MDZ at all? If anything, he won't do it again and cost us a stupid penalty.

Old
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Right....

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:28 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Don't try to group all of us into liking him.

Until he actually starts showing some objectivity (you know, that thing all good journalists have), he has no credibility at all in my mind and is just an embarrassment to the journalistic world.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Loto68

This is just further proof that Brooks should not be covering hockey. Forget that his immense bias goes against everything a real journalist should be, he clearly has ZERO understanding of the nature of hockey. MDZ has been playing like crap for over a month, and then he goes ahead and yells at a ref for calling a penalty. He cost his team the game and his coach took him to town, this is nothing new.

Also, I wonder if Brooks has any problem with Bruce Bourdeau taking his rookie goalie and Defensemen town, in a display that was probably 4 or 5 times worse than what Torts did.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:59 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
man i think it's hysterical torts would rip anyone a new one for discipline. this is the same torts that got himself suspended from a freaking playoff game LMAO.

torts is a clown and a tool. brooks is a muck-raker, and this article was inflammatory nonsense.
you're right. he should tell the players to all be as undisciplined and reckless as possible because he made a big mistake last year.

Last edited by allstar3970: 02-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:14 PM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
One question to all the peeps bashing Larry. Again, i'm not even a fan of his, but I think this is key: Didn't Larry recently ask Torts a valid hockey question to only see Torts turn on him and act like a bias jerk?

To me, they are both guilty, and for what? Its silly BS, but in both cases, the Philly game and now this, Larry has a point.
Vince Lombardi disagrees.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote