HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cheechoo on waivers

Old
02-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Eisen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I don't know, but the Islanders will give him the chance to regain that form.

Welcome to the Islanders, because not even Snow is dumb enough to not take a flyer on a former 56 goal scorer, especially if you take a chance on Schremp.
If they have to cash to take him, no reason not to. Definitly still a useful player.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Blinny

Cheechoo on re-entry waives is going to cost a team 1.5 mil....it might be worth the gamble.

Blinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
It is sad, but I'm curious, do you think it was more the problem of his psychological condition than his physical?
Physical all the way. He looks like he's skating in quicksand a lot of the time, so he can't get into proper position to get a clear shot. If...if he can work really hard in Binghamton (our AHL affiliate) and in the summer, he could come back, but I think we have to buy him out unfortunately.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
inthewings

So now that he's cleared, does he get put on re-entry? I personally expect Murray to keep him in the AHL until playoff rosters expand.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
So now that he's cleared, does he get put on re-entry? I personally expect Murray to keep him in the AHL until playoff rosters expand.
I would expect the same personally, he can treat this as a conditioning stint in Bingo and be re-called when the rosters expand.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:54 AM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I would expect the same personally, he can treat this as a conditioning stint in Bingo and be re-called when the rosters expand.
Who knows, he might find some confidence down there. He's been passing up a lot of open shots from the slot lately because he clearly has no faith that he can score.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinny View Post
Cheechoo on re-entry waives is going to cost a team 1.5 mil....it might be worth the gamble.
If he is put on re he will be claimed.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Rangerfan5

Rangers perhaps???

Rangerfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I am shocked the Bruins didn't take him. They have a roster spot for Satan, why not Cheech?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Cheechoo on re-entry waivers would cost a team 450k in cap space the rest of this season and 1.5 mil next year. I don't think he'd get past the Islanders if done. I would think the Sens would wait for re-entry until the off-season. There's no reason to waste cap space now that you've assigned him to the AHL.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Cheechoo on re-entry waivers would cost a team 450k in cap space the rest of this season and 1.5 mil next year. I don't think he'd get past the Islanders if done. I would think the Sens would wait for re-entry until the off-season. There's no reason to waste cap space now that you've assigned him to the AHL.
Plus, even though we have insane depth at forward, he way be someone we want in the playoffs, rather than paying him 1.5 million next year and some cap space we need to get a D-Man at the deadline.

I watch all of Ottawa's games. Cheechoo has played in every one of them. He would not have done so if he was a liability. He may well be worth 750K not 3 million or 1.5 on re-entry but he is still an effective NHL player. He does create chances, he does create turnovers, he does get decent chances to score. his skating is really bad. He works like a dog all the time. He is a guy that alwyas seems to end up with the puck on his stick behind the net, but never ends up making the pass or the scores the goal. He is the king of posts too this year!

The last couple of games he was on a line with Spezza. Murray and Clouston are not idiots. He is not on a line with Spezza because he can not even play in the NHL. He is a victim of a contract that is far to high for what he brings. I do not think he will ever be a great player again. If he can improve his skating a bit he can be a 15 goal 30 point 3rd liner, if not he is a 20 point 4th liner for a few more years. He is an NHL caliber player just not a very great one.

Aside from the cap issue which in the end does not matter if the Sen get out of it with Cullen and Cheechoo in the minors until the last day of the season... I think Cheechoo is a net positive if only marginally from not having him this year.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan5 View Post
Rangers perhaps???
Better chance than Brashear?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
I would expect a bunch of teams to put in a claim on him if he's on re-entry. I would like Tampa to do it if he gets that far.

Tampa has zero, ZERO secondary scoring. Outside of MSL-Stamkos-Downie, no one is getting the job done. Lecavalier has gone missing again, Tanguay is worthless and for some reason, they'd rather have Veilleux on the first line over Ryan Malone. If Cheechoo goes on re-entry and he makes it that far, it'd be stupid not to claim him.

He either comes in and provides some secondary scoring punch or he just adds to the already full team of losers and dead weight on the squad.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Frank Gallagher
"Alcohol is a gift"

Wow. This is an abrupt end to a once bright career. I guess this is one of the best examples of a opporotunist riding a superstar's (Thornton's) coattails.

Frank Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:31 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Still has to pass through waivers. Conditioning stints are for guys who've been injured

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:32 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
he doesn't get passed the Leafs.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I thought re-entry only applied to the current season. Are we sure any claiming team is only on the hook for 1.5 next year?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaustX23 View Post
Wow. This is an abrupt end to a once bright career. I guess this is one of the best examples of a opporotunist riding a superstar's (Thornton's) coattails.
Unfortunately, that's not how it was at all.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaustX23 View Post
No, it's a good example for injuries ruining a career...

Cheechoo did very well even before Thornton arrived, you don't see many players score 28 goals on the third line.

Of course did Thornton help him score, I don't think anyone would have thought that Cheechoo could score 50 goals in a season. Then again, that season didn't just happen because of Thornton, else you would have seen more 50 goal seasons by his linemates or even 60 from a terrific goalscorer like Heatley. That season happened because of Thornton's brilliant play and Cheechoo doing everything right.

Without Cheechoo being on fire for the whole season after the trade, you won't see Thornton catching up to Jagr. Thornton can help a goalscorer a lot, but it still takes a lot of skill from the goalscorer to finish with such a large amount of goals.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
56 goals in 2006.
What happened to this guy since then?

I'd claim him just for his awesome name.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I thought re-entry only applied to the current season. Are we sure any claiming team is only on the hook for 1.5 next year?
Almost sure. Look at Avery.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
my take:

cheechoo has probably been ottawa`s worst player all year. He doesnt cost us games, but he doesnt do anything to win them either...he`s just there, eating minutes.

by sending him down on friday, Murray saves his cap hit over the olympic break. Under the assumption that cheechoo stays down for the rest of the year, the sens have space for a 5.7M acquisition at the deadline. Murray will see how much space he needs to use at the deadline, and then wait until there is enough room on the cap to call cheechoo up. At that point, less teams are interested in cheechoo on recall waivers anyways because they cant use him in the playoffs.