HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do you train?

Old
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Ani simov mal

vCash: 500
Crunches are the base for core muscles.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
SuicideKings15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Girls at the frog and jim bob's must love it eh
Sadly enough, most ex-OHL'ers find refuge at Jacks and Cowboy's. And monday nights, it's all about Tiger Jacks.

SuicideKings15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by POW66 View Post
The most important work-outs that are hockey specific are as follows...

Squat - Works on your legs, your back, your core, your balance, pretty much everything.
Low to high woodchoppers - Works on your abs (the source of a heavy shot), and essentially, your core.

Arnold Press - Works your Triceps, Shoulders, trapezoids. Helps gain mass and solidity in your shoulder/neck area.

Forearm curls - Obviously, works on your fore-arms, which helps pretty much every aspect of your game, bar skating.

Any ply-o-metric exercise; Exercise-ball dumbbell press, exercise ball push-ups, exercise ball woodchoppers - All work your core, stability and balance.

One-legged smith squats are great for your legs but are hard to do correctly to maximize value.

Personally, on non-game/coaching days, my routine is get up for work, get home around 3:30, head out to the rink, skate for an hour and a half, go home and eat, relax a bit, then go to the rink from 6-8:30, play pick-up, shoot around, work on all the little stuff, then go to the gym and work-out from about 9-10:45 on a 6-day work-out plan. Make sure you isolate which muscles you work-out. If you want to get the most from your body playing hockey, follow a hockey-specific work-out regimen. High in leg, shoulder, core and cardio work-outs.
How do you wake up for work the next day?!

More importantly... how do you find all of that ice time? During school I like to workout and do 1hr of stick and puck on non-game days... but that's $5 a skate and it's always crowded.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
SuicideKings15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
How do you wake up for work the next day?!

More importantly... how do you find all of that ice time? During school I like to workout and do 1hr of stick and puck on non-game days... but that's $5 a skate and it's always crowded.
It's really not as hard as people think. As long as you eat well and eat things that will refuel your body as you sleep. I only work 8-3, and work 5 mins from my house, so I get up at 7:15. I'm done at the gym around 10ish, and get home for about 10:10. I watch the highlights of the night/spend time with the fiancee/do other little things that need to be done/eat until about midnight when I go to bed and throw on Sportsnet and fall alseep pretty much right away to that. I work a very laxx job right now, and this isn't the routine I follow all the time. I am doing rehab on my knee and ankle after having some major surgery done to them both and need to be in top shape for when play-offs begin. So I've only been on this about 3 months. Also, 2 days out of the week, I coach house-league Midget hockey, so those days I take it easy on the ice-time and just hit the gym.

As for the ice-time, my friend owns a 4-pad and there are usually 2-3 open any time of the day, and the place is open until midnight most nights for rec-league and mens league, so usually just leaves a pad open for whichever of his buddies wants to play.
Sometimes I enjoy going to the out-door rink, too though. We have a nice one in town about 2 minutes from my house that has nice boarding and is regulation size. Having a hockey back-round makes it easier for me to have access to some things like that.

SuicideKings15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I feel bad for the poor saps reading this thread and thinking they're "learning".

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
I feel bad for the poor saps reading this thread and thinking they're "learning".
Feel free to add useful information then...

The Hockey Movement The Hockey Movement
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:29 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Well we sure aren't learning from you. Thanks for the 'help' though.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I work on my body condition nearly every day. I can't get myself motivated to exercise every day but I spend approx. 20 minutes on five evenings per week. I just do the basic stuff like squats, arm curls, and I have a gadget to work on my forearms. (like a ball you can press) I definitely see a progress and I'm happy with it. I'm just unhappy with my motivation and I hope I can get myself motivated for running outside when the weather gets better because I definitely need to work on my stamina / condition as well.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote