HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#62 • 2.14.10 • NY Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning • 1:00 pm • MSG-HD

Old
02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
or hearing Pidto talk.
I can't stand that guy...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
29 teams watch another team hoist the cup, so should all 29 have a firesale?
Teams that finish in the top five definitely shouldn't have a fire sale. See below.

The Rangers will not be finishing in the top-five however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
your goal should be to make the playoffs every year, once you are in, anything can happen
Or not.

08-09: Pitt (8th overall) Reached Finals previous year
08-07: Det (1st overall)
07-06: Ana (3rd overall)
05-06: Canes (4th overall)
03-04: Tampa (2nd overall)
02-03: NJ (4the overall)
01-02: Det (1st overall)
00-01: Col (1st overall)
99-00: NJ (4the overall)
98-99: Dal (1st overall)
97-98: Det (3rd overall)
96-97: Det (5the overall)
95-96: Col (3rd overall)
94-95: NJ (9th overall) 48 game season
93-94: NYR (1st overall)
92-93: Mon (6th overall)
91-92: Pitt (6the overall) won champ. prev year
90-91: Pitt (7the overall)
89-90: Edm (5th overall)
88-89: Cal (1st overall)
87-88: Edm (3rd overall)
86-87: Edm (1st overall)
85-86: Mon (7th overall)
84-85: Edm (2nd overall)
83-84: Edm (1st overall)
82-83: NYI (6th overall) won champ. prev year
81-82: NYI (1st overall)
80-81: NYI (1st overall)
79-80: NYI (5th overall)
78-79: Mon (2nd overall)

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Edmonton oilers got within ONE GAME of winning the stanley cup as an 8th seed.The last year rangers almost took out the caps who almost took out the eventual stanley cup champs.Don't talk to me like you can read the future.Way to have confidence in your team.
Sather needs to make more moves before the deadline, and this team needs to find consistency. Then I can start believing this team can make a cinderella run.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Crease

Quote:
Edmonton oilers got within ONE GAME of winning the stanley cup as an 8th seed.The last year rangers almost took out the caps who almost took out the eventual stanley cup champs.Don't talk to me like you can read the future.Way to have confidence in your team.
Edmonton is the only example I can think of an 8 seed coming close to winning the Cup. I'd be curious know how many 8 or 7 seeds have actually done it.

And why should we have confidence in our team? Because its OUR team? Great game today, very happy with the effort, but show me some consistency and sustained success before I go and think we can win 16 playoff games.

EDIT: A quick search finds that Edmonton is the ONLY 8th seed to ever make it to the Finals. They didn't win. The only times the "worst" seed won the Stanley Cup were the 1938 Blackhawks and the 1949 Leafs.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Nick00

Quote:
I didn't realize tanking will make us an 82-0 team within the next few years....or EVER.All teams do and will have brutal losses.
Exactly, and all teams have great games.

So... why should one game determine what you think the team needs to do going forward?

That's my problem with the this GDT bickering from BOTH sides, it's done on a game-to-game basis with no real context whatsoever.

I believe this team is not going to contend in the PO, and I want them to sell at the deadline.
Why would the outcome of one game effect that either way? and why would I have to eat my words after a win?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Edmonton is the only example I can think of an 8 seed coming close to winning the Cup. I'd be curious know how many 8 or 7 seeds have actually done it.

And why should we have confidence in our team? Because its OUR team? Great game today, very happy with the effort, but show me some consistency and sustained success before I go and think we can win 16 playoff games.
I didn't say you HAVE to have confidence.But have some damn hope.People who say "oh you guys are dumb for beliving this team can get anything done" Well us belivers can just say the pro-tankers are dumb for giving up on the team with 20 games AND the trading deadline still to come.

Right?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Huge win today. Thrusts us right back into the thick of things... need to keep it going after the break. "We're still in it", LOL.

A little upset that Christensen didn't get that 3rd goal on that 2 shot flurry he had in the 2nd, but what can ya do?

Avery's penalty shot and Lundqvist's saves in the 2nd turned the game around.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
I didn't say you HAVE to have confidence.But have some damn hope.People who say "oh you guys are dumb for beliving this team can get anything done" Well us belivers can just say the pro-tankers are dumb for giving up on the team with 20 games AND the trading deadline still to come.

Right?
Absolutely. Hope is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately being an economics and math double-major, I instinctively include probability and statistics into everything I do.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

The Boston Red Sox didn't seem to care about those kinds of statistics in 2004. I'm not "confident" that we can win 16 playoff games against the likes of Pitt, Wash, etc and then whoever wins from the West, but that's not the point. For the team to be successful they need confidence. Us fans just need belief and hope. I believe that if we make the playoffs and the right players get hot at the right time (down the stretch and into the playoffs), we've got at least a chance to upset a few teams. Nobody expected us to be up 3-1 in the series against the caps but it happened, on the back of Lundqvist. Yes, we collapsed and lost the series, but it shows you that even the best teams are vulnerable and beatable. If we get the right players going (secondary and tertiary players), this team is absolutely very competitive with Hank and Gaborik at the forefront. Every team has holes... except maybe Chicago. It's not always the best team that wins. It's often the hottest team and the right combination.

Anaheim got contributions from unlikely 3rd and 4th line players in their run to the cup. Granted they were deeper and more talented all around than us, but the point is anything can happen if you just get to the dance. The fact that Redden has been horrible all season gets thrown out the window (at least for the moment) if we make it and he comes up with a big goal and plays better defensively.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:36 PM
nikzherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Exactly, and all teams have great games.

So... why should one game determine what you think the team needs to do going forward?

That's my problem with the this GDT bickering from BOTH sides, it's done on a game-to-game basis with no real context whatsoever.

I believe this team is not going to contend in the PO, and I want them to sell at the deadline.
Why would the outcome of one game effect that either way? and why would I have to eat my words after a win?
to me, this is fine. rooting for your team to lose and tank is not.

nikzherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
dedalus

Quote:

Right?
Just so you understand, I personally have no issues with either side calling the other "dumb," "short-sighted," "close-minded," or whatever. I only get angry when one side insists that the other MAY NOT SPEAK its opinion. That's what happened here today.

Don't like when someone points out the team's season-long inconsistencies in a winning GDT thread? Put him on ignore.

Don't like it when someone cheers a fine individual effort in a losing GDT? Put him on ignore.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

This is fitting...Jekyll and Hyde fans for a Jekyll and Hyde team.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:44 PM
ColonialsHockey10

How did they play? No way I was getting up at 11 considering I went to bed at 5 am.

I see Stamkos scored. That kid is incredible, he will be a top 5 forward soon.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:44 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
it shows you that even the best teams are vulnerable and beatable.
Yes but that's not pertinent. The question from the Ranger fan perspective is, can the WORST teams win one series after another against the best teams, right through to a championship?

History says that simply doesn't happen.

Quote:
It's not always the best team that wins. It's often the hottest team and the right combination.
It's pretty much always one of the five best who gets hot at the right moment. When a seed not finishing top-5 overall wins, there's usually a reason behind it, (most often substantial regular season injuries to top players).

Quote:
Anaheim got contributions from unlikely 3rd and 4th line players in their run to the cup. Granted they were deeper and more talented all around than us, but the point is anything can happen if you just get to the dance.
Anaheim ended the regular season 3RD OVERALL. "Anything" didn't need to happen in their case. They proved they were an excellent team over the course of the season, and their post-season success had nothing to do with "anything" happening.

What history plainly shows is that "anything" happens to the teams with the best records, and it happens that way for good reason: they're the best teams.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Crease

Just in case anyone else was wondering, the '95 Devils were the lowest seed to ever win the Cup. 5th in the East, 9th Overall in the NHL.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Just in case anyone else was wondering, the '95 Devils were the lowest seed to ever win the Cup. 5th in the East, 9th Overall in the NHL.
That season also consisted of 48 games.

Debbies were 22-18-8

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Yep. So no team worse than a 4 seed has ever won the Cup in a full season. Pretty crazy.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:54 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post

Debbies were 22-18-8
Yup. Huge asterisk next to that one.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:55 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Teams that finish in the top five definitely shouldn't have a fire sale. See below.

The Rangers will not be finishing in the top-five however.

Or not.

08-09: Pitt (8th overall) Reached Finals previous year
08-07: Det (1st overall)
07-06: Ana (3rd overall)
05-06: Canes (4th overall)
03-04: Tampa (2nd overall)
02-03: NJ (4the overall)
01-02: Det (1st overall)
00-01: Col (1st overall)
99-00: NJ (4the overall)
98-99: Dal (1st overall)
97-98: Det (3rd overall)
96-97: Det (5the overall)
95-96: Col (3rd overall)
94-95: NJ (9th overall) 48 game season
93-94: NYR (1st overall)
92-93: Mon (6th overall)
91-92: Pitt (6the overall) won champ. prev year
90-91: Pitt (7the overall)
89-90: Edm (5th overall)
88-89: Cal (1st overall)
87-88: Edm (3rd overall)
86-87: Edm (1st overall)
85-86: Mon (7th overall)
84-85: Edm (2nd overall)
83-84: Edm (1st overall)
82-83: NYI (6th overall) won champ. prev year
81-82: NYI (1st overall)
80-81: NYI (1st overall)
79-80: NYI (5th overall)
78-79: Mon (2nd overall)
Nice post. Didn't think it was that lopsided, wow. We are currently 22nd

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:58 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

The "anything can happen in the playoffs" works in the NFL & MLB.
NHL & NBA is a whole other story.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Avery's Penalty Shot:

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ohbaby

Quote:
The Boston Red Sox didn't seem to care about those kinds of statistics in 2004. I'm not "confident" that we can win 16 playoff games against the likes of Pitt, Wash, etc and then whoever wins from the West, but that's not the point. For the team to be successful they need confidence. Us fans just need belief and hope. I believe that if we make the playoffs and the right players get hot at the right time (down the stretch and into the playoffs), we've got at least a chance to upset a few teams. Nobody expected us to be up 3-1 in the series against the caps but it happened, on the back of Lundqvist. Yes, we collapsed and lost the series, but it shows you that even the best teams are vulnerable and beatable. If we get the right players going (secondary and tertiary players), this team is absolutely very competitive with Hank and Gaborik at the forefront. Every team has holes... except maybe Chicago. It's not always the best team that wins. It's often the hottest team and the right combination.

Anaheim got contributions from unlikely 3rd and 4th line players in their run to the cup. Granted they were deeper and more talented all around than us, but the point is anything can happen if you just get to the dance. The fact that Redden has been horrible all season gets thrown out the window (at least for the moment) if we make it and he comes up with a big goal and plays better defensively.
This post is right on! And I totally agree.

On the game,... Rangers came out flat and I was tempted to change the channel after the first. I was taping it anyway, if for some reason they came out of the fog they were in. Torts said he has no idea why they start so poorly, especially at home. But I think for this game, it was the early start (1pm) that threw them. To go on all cylinders, physically and mentally, that early is tough. Even TB was sluggish early. There was no passion for either team early on. But realizing the Rangers would only get stronger while TB would only tire playing a second game in less than 24 hours, I stuck with it. And sure enough, with Hank finding his game under duress, the Rangers came on and took it to Tampa, taking the life right out of them. Good win heading into the break. Minus Gabby and MDZ should not get overlooked. That's 2 wins without them, finding a way, coming together as a team. There were one too many odd man rushes by TB, but Hank played another very strong game.

Since Hank tweaked his positioning with goalie coach Benoit Allaire, 4 or 5 games back,... He's been absolutely spectacular! Very rare you score on Hank unless it's deflected.

One other note,... I'm surprised Christensen doesn't have more games like this. This kid has talent. During the game I was pondering,.. where is this guy? He's our first line center! I spoke too soon.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

why did they make it a 48 game season?

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
why did they make it a 48 game season?
There was a lockout that year.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:31 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Damnit Rangers, you just gotta win at the wrong times.

I bet my life Sather thinks this little winning streak will succumb to more wins and now he'll be a buyer.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote