HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky on the block (Garrioch)

Old
02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
bjthehockeykid

vCash: 500
honestly i think Sather missed the boat (shocker) when he could have traded dubi 4 phil kessel after his holdout shtick dubi is not gonna be a 1st liner and will never be the type of player callihan is so i say trade him

bjthehockeykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Wouldnt be against moving Dubi, but its gotta be for the right package and at the right time.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This has always been a problem.

The Rangers have a terrible history of trading young players that blossom while the players coming back often falter in NY.

Imo it would be a mistake to trade Dubinsky at this point. He could be a huge factor in future success.

I've never understood this desire to give up on young talent so quickly.
It's as much of a problem to cling to a player too tightly because he's "home grown" as it is to trade away too many youngsters.

People are so petrified that any player we let go is going to burn us down the line, that they're afraid to make a logical trade when it arises. Horton is a better player than Dubinsky. Weiss is a better player than Dubinsky. In an ideal world, Dubinsky ends up in the same ball-park as either of them. If he doesn't pan out, are you willing to say "That's ok" just because he's a product of our system?

Dubinsky often looks like he could be a really good player, but ya know what? So does Erik Christensen. So did Marcel Hossa. So did Petr Prucha. There's nothing wrong with trading a "maybe" for a very good player.

Now, that being said, I think to move Dubinsky the deal has to be right.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's as much of a problem to cling to a player too tightly because he's "home grown" as it is to trade away too many youngsters.

People are so petrified that any player we let go is going to burn us down the line, that they're afraid to make a logical trade when it arises. Horton is a better player than Dubinsky. Weiss is a better player than Dubinsky. In an ideal world, Dubinsky ends up in the same ball-park as either of them. If he doesn't pan out, are you willing to say "That's ok" just because he's a product of our system?

Dubinsky often looks like he could be a really good player, but ya know what? So does Erik Christensen. So did Marcel Hossa. So did Petr Prucha. There's nothing wrong with trading a "maybe" for a very good player.

Spot. On.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
smoneil

Quote:

That's bullcrap and you know it. Christensen's career high is 10 points lower than Dubinsky's career low, and EC doesn't do half of what Dubinsky does off the puck (physical play, defense, PK). Hossa never even cracked HALF of Dubi's career low, and he was a lightweight in the physical play department as well. Prucha, for whatever reason (not looking to start that debate again), saw his point totals decrease with each season in the league. Dubinsky's point totals have INCREASED with every season.

He has nothing in common with any of those players. Dubinsky isn't a "maybe." We know what he brings and he could still improve. Anisimov (who I love as a player) is a "maybe."

You don't trade a player whose cap hit you can still contol for a number of years for an expensive player who will hit FA right when this team will be finally ready to compete.

This team won't become better by swapping out Dubinsky for Horton (not to mention whatever else might have to be included). We just have to try to move the three albatrosses or simply wait them out while the prospects get closer to the show. It won't be fun now or next season, but what do you want? Mediocrity now and for years to come, or a year or two of struggle followed by a cup contender?

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
That's bullcrap and you know it. Christensen's career high is 10 points lower than Dubinsky's career low, and EC doesn't do half of what Dubinsky does off the puck (physical play, defense, PK). Hossa never even cracked HALF of Dubi's career low, and he was a lightweight in the physical play department as well. Prucha, for whatever reason (not looking to start that debate again), saw his point totals decrease with each season in the league. Dubinsky's point totals have INCREASED with every season.
I never said any of those players were as good as Dubinsky. All I said was that players often look like they can become more than what they're truly capable of. Dubi may have increased his point total (by 1 freakin point), but he's still hounded by inconsistency, and until that changes, he'll never break through as a player.

Quote:
He has nothing in common with any of those players. Dubinsky isn't a "maybe." We know what he brings and he could still improve. Anisimov (who I love as a player) is a "maybe."
Either we know what he is; A decent 2nd liner or good 3rd liner that is horribly inconsistent, or we're holding out hope for him to become more. Honestly, if he tops out as a 40 point borderline top-six player, will you be content with that?

Quote:
You don't trade a player whose cap hit you can still contol for a number of years for an expensive player who will hit FA right when this team will be finally ready to compete.
How do you know when this team will be ready to compete? What 'expensive' player are you referring to?

Quote:
This team won't become better by swapping out Dubinsky for Horton (not to mention whatever else might have to be included). We just have to try to move the three albatrosses or simply wait them out while the prospects get closer to the show. It won't be fun now or next season, but what do you want? Mediocrity now and for years to come, or a year or two of struggle followed by a cup contender?
Horton is a better player than Dubinsky. That's really not debatable. I'm not sure how adding a better player to the lineup translates into more mediocrity.

Old
02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
In The Flesh

I hope this isn't true, but Dolan really wants to make the POs. I'm now certain we're going to be buyers; Horton/Weiss here wouldn't surprise me one bit now, typical NYR move.

NYR defense is horrible, adding a scorer may get us into the POs, but we won't get past the first rd. Dolan wants 2 games at the Garden, thats all he cares about.

Horton is a bum, I'd rather have Weiss if I have to choose one of them.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
smoneil

Quote:
I never said any of those players were as good as Dubinsky. All I said was that players often look like they can become more than what they're truly capable of. Dubi may have increased his point total (by 1 freakin point), but he's still hounded by inconsistency, and until that changes, he'll never break through as a player.
It's rhetoric. You try to downplay a player by comparing him to three previous players who disappointed in some way. The problem is, it's not a good comparison. Dubinsky accomplished more in his first season than any of those players have in ANY season (save Prucha). As to your "1 freakin point," that's significant, since people were going on about how Dubinsky only got points by playing with Jagr. Improving, even if only by "1 freakin point" without Jagr on his wing is significant. Being on pace to improve significantly, while adding two minutes of PK time is even more significant. You just choose not to see it.

Quote:
Either we know what he is; A decent 2nd liner or good 3rd liner that is horribly inconsistent, or we're holding out hope for him to become more. Honestly, if he tops out as a 40 point borderline top-six player, will you be content with that?
Yes, I will be. I do think he will get better (not 1st line better, but great 2nd line better), and his trends make that look likely. Even if he does max out as a 40-45 point average second line player, I would be content with that.

Quote:
How do you know when this team will be ready to compete? What 'expensive' player are you referring to?
Assuming Sather doesn't do something stupid like trading the youth, both Drury and Roszival come off the cap in 2012. During those two years, Stepan, Werek, Sanguinetti, Grachev, Del Zotto, Kreider and co get to improve. Not all of them will make it, but most of those that do should be ready to make the jump (and some will have done so already). That gives the team a great young core and a ******** of room under the cap to address a hole or two in free agency (I'd guess a true number 1 center). If patience prevails, 2012 should be the start of a lot of fun years as a Rangers fan.

Horton was the "expensive" player I was referring to. He makes 4million now. His deal runs out and allows him to hit free agency right when we get cap flexibility. Even if his numbers stay where they are right now, he won't be re-signing for 4million per year. He will likely enter free agency as a player that will earn much more than he's worth. So we either lose him or sign him, and if we sign him, we have another cap issue on our hands.

Dubinsky's salary cap hit can be controlled for far longer than Horton's. Since this team is unlikely to compete seriously for another couple of seasons yet, moving out a lesser player on a better long term contract situation for a better player whose contract will be an issue is short-sighted thinking. So I ask again- Which do you prefer- quick mediocrity or long-term competitiveness?

Quote:
Horton is a better player than Dubinsky. That's really not debatable. I'm not sure how adding a better player to the lineup translates into more mediocrity.
Because this isn't a video game. The long-term cap implications of any move need to be considered if you want to build a serious cup contender. It's not as simple as Player A is better than Player B, so let's trade for them. Cap considerations, team chemistry, and a good mix of skill sets is key to building a team. Dubinsky, with his lower long-term cap hit, his chemistry with the core of this team's youth and his physical play, is more important to this TEAM than Horton with his higher point totals, lackadaisical attitude and cap disaster waiting to happen contract situation.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Because this isn't a video game. The long-term cap implications of any move need to be considered if you want to build a serious cup contender. It's not as simple as Player A is better than Player B, so let's trade for them. Cap considerations, team chemistry, and a good mix of skill sets is key to building a team. Dubinsky, with his lower long-term cap hit, his chemistry with the core of this team's youth and his physical play, is more important to this TEAM than Horton with his higher point totals, lackadaisical attitude and cap disaster waiting to happen contract situation.
Right On!

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
XLJ

Trading Dubinsky would be a mistake. Trading a good young player who plays a position where the rangers are really thin at would be a dumb move. If the rangers want another top 6 player they need to give up a package around one of there good young defensemen, that is a postion where the rangers system is deep in. You need to bring in better players to play with Gaborik, Dubi, Callahan etc. Not trade one of your better young forwards.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM
tdawg56

I think if we trade Dubi and Sangs in a package we will get a 1st line player which is what we need more than anything.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:53 PM
NY Ranger86

I'm sorry.

Dubi + Girardi for Weiss is too much. IMO

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:56 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
It's rhetoric. You try to downplay a player by comparing him to three previous players who disappointed in some way. The problem is, it's not a good comparison. Dubinsky accomplished more in his first season than any of those players have in ANY season (save Prucha). As to your "1 freakin point," that's significant, since people were going on about how Dubinsky only got points by playing with Jagr. Improving, even if only by "1 freakin point" without Jagr on his wing is significant. Being on pace to improve significantly, while adding two minutes of PK time is even more significant. You just choose not to see it.

Yes, I will be. I do think he will get better (not 1st line better, but great 2nd line better), and his trends make that look likely. Even if he does max out as a 40-45 point average second line player, I would be content with that.

Assuming Sather doesn't do something stupid like trading the youth, both Drury and Roszival come off the cap in 2012. During those two years, Stepan, Werek, Sanguinetti, Grachev, Del Zotto, Kreider and co get to improve. Not all of them will make it, but most of those that do should be ready to make the jump (and some will have done so already). That gives the team a great young core and a ******** of room under the cap to address a hole or two in free agency (I'd guess a true number 1 center). If patience prevails, 2012 should be the start of a lot of fun years as a Rangers fan.

Horton was the "expensive" player I was referring to. He makes 4million now. His deal runs out and allows him to hit free agency right when we get cap flexibility. Even if his numbers stay where they are right now, he won't be re-signing for 4million per year. He will likely enter free agency as a player that will earn much more than he's worth. So we either lose him or sign him, and if we sign him, we have another cap issue on our hands.

Dubinsky's salary cap hit can be controlled for far longer than Horton's. Since this team is unlikely to compete seriously for another couple of seasons yet, moving out a lesser player on a better long term contract situation for a better player whose contract will be an issue is short-sighted thinking. So I ask again- Which do you prefer- quick mediocrity or long-term competitiveness?

Excellent post.

I really don't understand why so many people seem to WANT to trade Dubinsky. Are you all pissed about the holdout? Seriously? Are you pissed that you expected more and he hasn't delivered yet? Really, what is it? Because he's more than earning his contract. Trading him would be a lateral move at best.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
tdawg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Excellent post.

I really don't understand why so many people seem to WANT to trade Dubinsky. Are you all pissed about the holdout? Seriously? Are you pissed that you expected more and he hasn't delivered yet? Really, what is it? Because he's more than earning his contract. Trading him would be a lateral move at best.
Lateral depending on who you can get. He hasnt showed any consistant scoring and isnt a great faceoff man these are facts.

If you can get a weiss or horton for him i would do it every time because they are top 6 fowards and Dubi isnt.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
And last season he played with Zherdev on his wing, this year he's played primarily with Gaborik, without either one, he's been invisible. Do you choose not to acknowledge that?

I compared him with 3 different players that, at multiple times over their careers, have looked like they would reach another plateau, but it never came to fruition. It has nothing to do with my opinion of Dubinsky, but everything to do with overvaluing a player based on selective memory.

Quote:
Well then that's where we disagree. Dubinsky should be a better player than that. If he ends up as a 40 point player and we had, at several points, refused to trade him for a player that was proven to be better, I'd be very upset about that.

Quote:
That's a lot of assumptions to try and justify something. You're assuming a GM, that has a laundry list of UFA mistakes to his credit, is going to manage to avoid another one with $10MM+ in cap space? Not likely.

I'm as high on some of our prospects as anyone, but passing up an opportunity to fill a void because prospect X might be NHL ready in a few years just doesn't work.

Quote:
Another cap issue on our hands? Didn't you just say you wanted to address problems via free agency? You're willing to forgo three more years of Horton at a manageable cap hit just because he'll eventually become a free agent? I'm sorry, but that's just kind of silly to me.

Plus, not to mention, how do you know he'll demand more money if his numbers stay the same? You have no idea what the cap, or the market for FA's is going to look like in 2013.

Quote:
Controlled? We are talking about the same Dubinsky, right? The same one that held out over the summer for more money? I don't see an issue trading a player making less money for a player making more money, especially if the cheaper player has already proven to be a problem during negotiations. You'll have to renegotiate with Dubinsky at least once more before you even have to consider negotiating with Horton.

Assuming Dubinsky and Horton do not improve their games between now and then, explain to me how one more year of a cheap-ish Dubinsky is better than 3 more years of Horton being under contract? How does a cheaper player, but a better contract, make us more competitive in the long-term? You're acting as if Dubinsky will be cheap in 2012, but do you realize he needs to be re-signed again in 2011?

Quote:
I agree, those things are important, but I'm not really concerned with disrupting this team's "chemistry" if all that chemistry does is drive us closer to a lottery pick. I could understand that argument if we were having a lot of success, but we're not.

If Dubinsky becomes useful enough that he's contributing at the same level as Horton is, you're only going to avoid those cap implications for another year at most. If he's putting up 60+ points like Horton has, you can bet that you're going to be paying him at least as much as Horton makes now.

I appreciate toughness and work ethic as much as the next guy, but when your team is desperate for scoring, sometimes concessions need to be made. Still, as I said before, the deal needs to be right before you part with Dubinsky.

Old
02-14-2010, 05:17 PM
pwoz

As soon as my Dubi jersey came in the mail, a gut feeling came that he'd be traded... but you know what? If it's for Weiss... I won't be disappointed.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:19 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
As soon as my Dubi jersey came in the mail, a gut feeling came that he'd be traded... but you know what? If it's for Weiss... I won't be disappointed.
It won't be for Weiss.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I would certainly consider moving Dubi for Weiss. Horton I'm more skeptical about but it would obviously have to be considered.

I would be more inclined to move Dubi for Weiss. Weiss has 3 more years at a friendly 3.1 cap hit. He is a bonafide 2nd line playmaking C, with 1st line potential still. He would be real good with Gaby.

Weiss and Dubi are completely different players, and Weiss is the kind of player we sorely lack throughout our system.

Horton on the other hand is a soft power forward with poor work habits who has been injured 4 of his 6 years in the league, 3 seriously. He has great potential still but I think he would be a frustrating player here. He also has 3 years left but with a not as friendly 4.0 cap hit.

Dubi and Horton are similar players, both north south power forward type players. Horton is 1yr older, and has 2 more yrs of pro hockey experience. Both are natural C's, though Horton is now a full time RW. Dubi still plays both regularly. Horton is the more gifted offensive player, but I feel Dubi's offensive production will not be drastically below Horton's.
Horton has superior size but he does not use it. He does not finish checks or stick up for teammates and is incredibly soft for a 6'2" 230lb Ontario boy. Nobody would call Dubi soft.
Dubi is the better defensive player who can be trusted in all situations.
I think Horton would be a very frustrating player here, he always leaves you thinking you should be getting more, as does Dubi. But Hoton is further along in his development.

I think Horton is much more of a lateral move than Weiss. Of course it is sounding like Horton is more available than Weiss, not a surprise.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Chalfdiggity3

anything from florida would be a lateral move with dubinsky involved. Weise and horton are not what we need. if we could have had heatley for dubinsky then thats what we should have done.. and what we should still look to find IF we decide to deal dubinsky.. horton or weise are NOT even close to the talent and player that heatley are. All those that wanna trade dubinsky for a lateral move will all be kicking themselves in the face in a year or two.. Seriously im glad u guys arent the gm.

If we trade for horton or weise is should be players that dont have a future with this franchise.. not a player with no heart and passion in his game. we need players who bleed ranger blue. Personally **** trading with florida, we can find better players elsewhere or just stand pat and get a good pick this draft say top 10.. and trade our pick and a solid player like rosie or girardi to get into the top 3

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
lJuicel

I'd have no problems with Dubi going to Fla for Weiss. If it came down to Weiss or Horton, I'd rather have Weiss.

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:23 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Weiss and Horton have similar production, but Horton is a full 2 years younger.

I'd rather have both

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Excellent post.

People are upset that he still hasn't shown any consistency. He still doesn't look like a legitimate top six player.

Trading him for a better player wouldn't be a lateral move, would it?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
People are upset that he still hasn't shown any consistency. He still doesn't look like a legitimate top six player.

Trading him for a better player wouldn't be a lateral move, would it?

Please provide your definition for "legitimate top six player". I think Dubi's there and I've made posts with statistical back-up. If you could convince me otherwise, please do so.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
Please provide your definition for "legitimate top six player". I think Dubi's there and I've made posts with statistical back-up. If you could convince me otherwise, please do so.
I haven't seen YOUR statistical analysis, but I know his numbers. I don't know how I could convince you, either. It's obviously a case of different standards. The guy disappears for games at a time, and clearly isn't good enough to create offense for others with any sort of consistency. When I look at the best teams in the league, and try to fit him on the rosters of those teams, he almost always slots in as a third line center.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
chip chipperson*

dont trade dubi put him on the 3rd line. 20 goals 50-60 points on the 3rd line would be great. try to get rid of the bad contracts get a center and 1 more top 6 guy. much better team with dubi.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote