HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
meh. staal's play is fluffed no matter what he does or doesn't do. it's cuz he's a staal imo. he hasn't developed into 1/5 of what everyone's hoped. i think you could make an argument that he's not our best dman. maybe he will be but his growth is slow. and i could see MDZ surpassing him.
Bottom-pairing rookie to top-minute, first pairing d-man in 2 and a half seasons and you think he's developing slowly?

He's set a career high in points this season, is averaging 23 minutes a night, and is regularly matched up against some of the best players in the world; including arguably the top-3 players in the NHL in AO, Crosby and Malkin.

If that's not even "1/5 of what everyone's hoped," I have to wonder just how many fans were expecting the second coming of Bobby Orr.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:00 PM
NYROrtsFan

Rozy again with a great game today... Guy is clearly playing the best among the defensemen.

Staal is developing fine.. He just is limited in certain things. He's flat out amazing at times when it comes down to pure defense and being able to position and take the puck away from an offensive player. Where STaal hurts is that the guy just doesn't have vision with passes and quite often just throws it up the boards. That's not a bad play, but it's also not great to give up possession a lot of the time. He can take the easy passes, but even with them it is rarely to the tape or in an advantagious spot for his teammate. Hopefully he develops that but I'll take him at what he is. A VERY good defensive defeseman.

He is probably our best defenseman when it comes down to it, but it is absolutely NOT a runaway by any means.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:38 PM
ohbaby

And don't underestimate Rozy's influence and guidence in Staals development either.
He's not too shabby a role model and mentor.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
bscharf

rosy

i wouldnt jump the gun and argue that hes anything special. Hes a good work horse and torts kept him on the ice for what felt like the entire game against tampa. He gets beat alot and needs to get more physical. Yesterday he stepped up and he doesnt have a bad shot. not gonna win us games but certainly not as bad as redden. i think rosy staal and mdz girardi are two good pairs

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Bottom-pairing rookie to top-minute, first pairing d-man in 2 and a half seasons and you think he's developing slowly?

He's set a career high in points this season, is averaging 23 minutes a night, and is regularly matched up against some of the best players in the world; including arguably the top-3 players in the NHL in AO, Crosby and Malkin.

If that's not even "1/5 of what everyone's hoped," I have to wonder just how many fans were expecting the second coming of Bobby Orr.
you have some good points. i still think he's growing slower than his brothers did and isn't as confident as he probably should be

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Ice Hockey

and i think when he plays like garbage, which he does sometimes, he gets a free pass cuz he's a staal.

Old
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
And don't underestimate Rozy's influence and guidence in Staals development either.
He's not too shabby a role model and mentor.
so that explains staals regression this year....

i see.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
so that explains staals regression this year....

i see.
The fact you cant muster up even a half hearted shout out to how well Rozy has been playing speaks volumes.

Whats Enver Lisin up to during the break? Picking out some new suits for the pressbox?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
you have some good points. i still think he's growing slower than his brothers did and isn't as confident as he probably should be
Quote:
and i think when he plays like garbage, which he does sometimes, he gets a free pass cuz he's a staal.
Well that's the problem. You can't use his brothers as a barometer for his development. Eric is a franchise center, and Jordan is one of the best two-way centers I've seen in a long time and plays on a championship caliber team. He was relied upon far less at his position during his development than Staal was.

Personally, I give him a pass because he's still young and young players are bound to make mistakes. If he's 26/27 and hasn't gotten any better, or is regressing, I might start to be a little concerned.

Personally, I think he and Brent Seabrook are very comparable players. Seabrook is a cornerstone of that Chicago defense. I feel Staal will be the same for us.

Old
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Well that's the problem. You can't use his brothers as a barometer for his development. Eric is a franchise center, and Jordan is one of the best two-way centers I've seen in a long time and plays on a championship caliber team. He was relied upon far less at his position during his development than Staal was.

Personally, I give him a pass because he's still young and young players are bound to make mistakes. If he's 26/27 and hasn't gotten any better, or is regressing, I might start to be a little concerned.

Personally, I think he and Brent Seabrook are very comparable players. Seabrook is a cornerstone of that Chicago defense. I feel Staal will be the same for us.
salaries aside, would you rather have staal or d. keith?

Old
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
salaries aside, would you rather have staal or d. keith?
Eh, I don't think it's that simple, but it'd be hard to pass up Keith. The guy is going to win a Norris at some point in his career, if not more than one.

Old
02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Eh, I don't think it's that simple, but it'd be hard to pass up Keith. The guy is going to win a Norris at some point in his career, if not more than one.
haha ok cool. that may seem irrelevant but for some reason i HAD to ask that. he's my favorite defensemen right now

Old
02-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Comparing Staal and Keith is no good. One is one of the best 1As in the league, the other is an average #2.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Rozsy racking alot of minutes as of late. Continues his solid play.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Staalsy is fine...Rozy has been playing really well...

On an ideal team they are the perfect second pair. But this is the Rangers we are talking about...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM
haveandare

I've been on the Rozy bashing train for a while, but I have to admit he's been spot on recently. I'm surprised. I hope he keeps this up at least until the end of this season, that would be fantastic timing to all of a sudden step up.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Rozsy racking alot of minutes as of late. Continues his solid play.
His play has improved greatly lately, jumping into the offense more and even more impressively he has joined Girardi as the only d-men to consistently take the body...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
& he roofs one tonight! Good job, Rosie. :]

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:45 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Yea Drury!!!

nyrpassion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
DutchShamrock

The problem with Rosizval is and always has been his half season of good hockey vs his half season of horrible hockey. Year in, year out. Comes out of camp terrible. Turn over, indecision, out of position, soft in his zone. Then somewhere around January, he steps up and finishes strong until he gets hurt late in the year. He will have little value at the draft, but you don't trade him at the deadline cause he was finally living up to expectations. $5m is too much for a few months of decent hockey. Why get excited at this point for improved play? It won't last and we are stuck until he gets out of the slump months later.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Vitto79

i think Rozsival has played solid of late and for the stretch run he is key but in the offseason if someone will take him and the cap hit ( team with tons of cap cap space then it must be done. Even for a 2.5 million dollar Dman back.

For the team that is getting him its not much more for a financial investment given 7 mil over 2 yrs and the Rangers save space

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Whatever...

For his $...

he's not welcome. For 2.5... 3m... maybe

I'm not a hater... and NOT sold

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
& he roofs one tonight! Good job, Rosie. :]
What a bullet that was, why doesn't he shoot more, he has a great wrist and slapshot...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:15 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

What a rocket. If only he utilizes that shot more.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I really love the way he's been playing lately.

As I've said for a while: He's only a million overpaid. He's easily a 4M d-man in the NHL right now.

I love seeing him get pissed, too.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote