bad move imo. he should be on the wing with Ruutu and M.Koivu

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...74064_jk.shtml

First Carolina dives royally, and now this.

S**t happens, Jussi.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

It's ********... I almost hope Finland loses a medal game by one goal in a shootout...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
D1az

What the **** happened???
He's 4th among the Finnish forwards in scoring and undoubtedly one of the best shootout guys as well as a guy who can put the pressure on when the time is ticking.
I ****ing hate this decision!!! I thought that he was a 100% lock!!!!

D1az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

I don't know what Team Finland is thinking. I thought he was a lock as well, D1az.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
I don't know what Team Finland is thinking. I thought he was a lock as well, D1az.
As I can't see him playing I don't know anything about his qualities but according to what I read about him in this forum from people who seem to be better informed about him than me, it would be much better to renounce on Jarkko Ruutu for team Finland than on J. Jokinen.

I really don't know what the coaches find so awesome on Jarkko Ruutu.

Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Jeepers Creeper

So who would you suggest on the 4th line replacing Ruutu then? Ruutu is arguably having a career year this season. He is very underrated penalty killer, plays physical, drives to the net, draws penalties, he's good at shootouts, and on top of that he is also capable of scoring the occasional goal. He's a perfect fit on the 4th line and we don't have anyone to replace him who is not on the team already.

Jeepers Creeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:00 AM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLabel View Post
So who would you suggest on the 4th line replacing Ruutu then? Ruutu is arguably having a career year this season. He is very underrated penalty killer, plays physical, drives to the net, draws penalties, he's good at shootouts, and on top of that he is also capable of scoring the occasional goal. He's a perfect fit on the 4th line and we don't have anyone to replace him who is not on the team already.
You really want to tell me that Finland has no better options than him in a Olympic tournament which is held in Canada and all players can play - if they are not injured or renounce on the games - because the NHL interrupts the season for the Olympic games?

Unfortunately every time when I've seen playing Jarkko Ruutu in the national team at WHC or Olympic games I could never notice any of the qualities you describe above, except of provocating opponent players may be. In contrary, I remember only unnecessary and stupid penalties or activities in the absolutely wrong moment like at the WHC last year in Switzerland. Or in Torino, when he injured Jagr etc. ok Finland won this game although but Jarkko Ruutu was no more playing because he received a mach penalty. This proofs that they don't need him at all.
And I have never seen scoring Jarkko Ruutu I remember only his stupid grining when he checked Jagr on the head and injured him. Never mind if Jagr had his head up or not, this grining of J. Ruutu was very disagreeable.

All these qualities you describe above you can say about Tuomo Ruutu his brother who is much better than Jarkko.

Old
01-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
You really want to tell me that Finland has no better options than him in a Olympic tournament which is held in Canada and all players can play - if they are not injured or renounce on the games - because the NHL interrupts the season for the Olympic games?
Yes, that's exactly what I am telling you. If you can think of a better option than Ruutu why don't you enlighten us then?

Quote:
All these qualities you describe above you can say about Tuomo Ruutu his brother who is much better than Jarkko.
What has Tuomo being a better player anything to do with this? I asked you if you could name me one player that hasn't been chosen to the team who could replace Jarkko Ruutu on the 4th line.

Old
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I am telling you. If you can think of a better option than Ruutu why don't you enlighten us then?

What has Tuomo being a better player anything to do with this? I asked you if you could name me one player that hasn't been chosen to the team who could replace Jarkko Ruutu on the 4th line.
There really aren't many options, unless you decided to go with a guy like Hannes Hyvonen, or Sean Bergenheim.

I have a bit of a misgiving when it comes to stupid penalties as well, but he is still a capable player who is annoying to play against.

Good pick IMO.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Unfortunately every time when I've seen playing Jarkko Ruutu in the national team at WHC or Olympic games I could never notice any of the qualities you describe above, except of provocating opponent players may be. In contrary, I remember only unnecessary and stupid penalties or activities in the absolutely wrong moment like at the WHC last year in Switzerland. Or in Torino, when he injured Jagr etc. ok Finland won this game although but Jarkko Ruutu was no more playing because he received a mach penalty. This proofs that they don't need him at all.
You're making the case for yourself.

People remember these occasional blackouts, which honestly comprise only about 5% of his total game, and it prevents them from seeing what he's being for the rest of the time.

And that is a skilled two-way forward with a nice set of hands, a world-class penalty killer and a prominent leader type on and off the ice. Go ahead, make a list of things like you describe above, and I'll make a list of every time I remember Ruutu blocking a shot, using moves that are within the rules when taking down a charging forward when D is off position, being handed a letter because of his leader qualities or given a key pass and such. I'm already warning you though: My list would be way longer than yours.

Sure, Ruutu would be even better player without those "moments" of his, but even as of now the positives he brings onto the ice when given a proper role outweight the negatives, hands down.

Last edited by FiLe: 01-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old
01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Finnswiss

Quote:

As I said above it had been much better to renounce on J. Ruutu instead of J. Jokinen for example.

Poor Finland depending on a player like J. Ruutu.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
You just don't get it The team needs grit and muscle especially in the bottom 6 plus Jarkko is having a career year.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
As I said above it had been much better to renounce on J. Ruutu instead of J. Jokinen for example.

Jussi Jokinen would be our top 6 forward, not a 4th liner like Ruutu. Peltonen or Immonen should have been replaced for Jokinen. If you have someone on your mind, suggest someone who would take Ruutu's role in bottom 6 and who is capable of playing some PK if necessary.

And we're not depending on a single player like we never have, especially not a 4th liner like Ruutu. Our success depends on work ethic and a solid effort as a team, and great goaltending of course which I am sure Kiprusoff can provide.

Last edited by Jeepers Creeper: 01-19-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old
01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Jussi Jokinen would be our top 6 forward, not a 4th liner like Ruutu. Peltonen or Immonen should have been replaced for Jokinen. If you have someone on your mind, suggest someone who would take Ruutu's role in bottom 6 and who is capable of playing some PK if necessary.

Does this mean he will replace Teemu Selanne if he cannot play or are there other Finnish forwards under consideration?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Does this mean he will replace Teemu Selanne if he cannot play or are there other Finnish forwards under consideration?
If Selšnne is out, Jokinen is in. Period.

Old
01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
puckster

I'm a season ticket holder for the Hurricanes and I have seen up close what Jokinen brings to the game. COULD NOT BELIEVE he was not picked for Team Finland!!

I don't want to see anyone hurt but I would hope he is the first to go if someone can't play because of injury.

On another note........TUOMO RUUTU is my favorite Cane. I am glad he made Team Finland.

I will be cheering on TEAM FINLAND (if they aren't playing Team USA).

puckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:16 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckster View Post
I'm a season ticket holder for the Hurricanes and I have seen up close what Jokinen brings to the game. COULD NOT BELIEVE he was not picked for Team Finland!!

I don't want to see anyone hurt but I would hope he is the first to go if someone can't play because of injury.

On another note........TUOMO RUUTU is my favorite Cane. I am glad he made Team Finland.

I will be cheering on TEAM FINLAND (if they aren't playing Team USA).
Yeah agreed. Jussi Jokinen is a great player and really turned it on in the playoffs for you guys the other year. I'm still hopeful that he makes the team though. Anything can happen.

As for Ruutu, I am one of his biggest fans as well. Guy has had a lot of misfortune with injuries that have suppressed his progress in the NHL. Let's hope he can stay healthy in the future and build on that 54 point season from last year.

Last edited by ThinMcWhistle: 01-27-2010 at 06:22 PM.
ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Gabranth
#19 #88

So we're actually losing a potential 30-scorer here and instead we get 36-year-old Peltonen who can barely skate, wtf is this? Yeah, right...

This isn't 1995... Get over it and let the new guys handle the job.

Gabranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Can someone actually explain how the second highest scoring Fin in the NHL is not on the roster. Is he really disliked by the coach or is there some political problem with him being on the roster. He is already one of the Canes fans favorite players and I just can't understand why he wouldn't be there. He is going to be a 30/35/65 guy this year and not play in his last chance to represent you guys in the Olympics. Not to mention that he's the best shootout guy in NHL history and the Olympics could come down to a shootout. He also would be there with 2 other friends and teammates. I just can't make any sense of this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Quethas

Send a message via MSN to Quethas
I don't think that anyone can give you really good reason behind that. No-one really understood why Jokinen couldn't make it. Tha main explonations have been that Jukka Jalonen wanted to choose the best possible TEAM and basically when he wondered if he want to choose Antti Miettinen or Jussi Jokinen to the team, he choosed the player he has known better. And that team is based on players who have played well together before and Jussi Jokinen couldn't fill any place in the mind of Jukka Jalonen. What I wonder is that why he couldn't choose Jokinen when there is Ville Peltonen or Jarkko Immonen in a minor role.

In my opinion Tuomo Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Jussi Jokinen should have been our first line. Jukka Jalonen thought otherwise.

Quethas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Can someone actually explain how the second highest scoring Fin in the NHL is not on the roster. Is he really disliked by the coach or is there some political problem with him being on the roster. He is already one of the Canes fans favorite players and I just can't understand why he wouldn't be there. He is going to be a 30/35/65 guy this year and not play in his last chance to represent you guys in the Olympics. Not to mention that he's the best shootout guy in NHL history and the Olympics could come down to a shootout. He also would be there with 2 other friends and teammates. I just can't make any sense of this. Any insight would be appreciated.
Headcoach Jalonen is being a dense idiot. He can't admit to being wrong about Jokinen when the team was initially picked. Also the fact that Jokinen hasn't reportedly even been contacted since early January to be ready in case of injuries (which Finland has had plenty) would suggest Jalonen seriously has some (personal?) problems with Jokinen.

Dunno.

Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

That my problem with understanding the move... If he was near the bottom of the guys on the team, I could see him making it or not... But I would think he's a top line or second line candidate on your team with useful skills... I mean isn't he a top 4-6 F in Finland with abilities to play center and wing, good on the power play, the best in shootouts, and he has a connection with Joni... Those two connect on long passes to create breakaways as good as any pair in the NHL....

Ugh, I guess I'm just frustrated to see a guy turn his career back around and get railroaded

Old
02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
ijk

This has been a headscratcher for me also.

I would have preferred to leave anyone not named Selšnne, Koivu, Ruutu (both of them ) off of the team to have J. Jokinen in. The explanation that Antti Miettinen does his job better than J. Jokinen is just a dumb statement, and I think a grown man coaching in a sport that is results driven should forget all (possible) personal agenda aside when picking the team.

ijk is offline   Reply With Quote