HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price or Halak?

Old
02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
I don't think Price is that good but Halak is better. He's not really an upgrade over who we have now, though.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would take price any day of the week. He's so pressured in mtl to perform week in week out infront of a **** team. He's a very good goalie. If the flyers could get him for coburn, i would do it straight up.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I would take price any day of the week. He's so pressured in mtl to perform week in week out infront of a **** team. He's a very good goalie. If the flyers could get him for coburn, i would do it straight up.
Agreed. I think Price, given time and nurturing, could be a franchise type guy.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Agreed. I think Price, given time and nurturing, could be a franchise type guy.
This. Price oozes natural talent at the position, and has performed incredibly well at all levels but the NHL. And even in the NHL, he has been good - MTL has just sucked in front of him, and their media loves nothing better than crucifying goaltenders for failing to be Patrick Roy. It's like that city is obsessed with making right their failure with Roy by constantly turning over young goaltenders until they find another one like him. The problem is, as soon as they realize their next hot draft pick goaltender isn't a generational talent, they ruin whatever potential he may have by bombing his confidence.

If Price can get the hell out of that city, he could yet be a stellar goaltender in this league. It is also possible that he may not put it all together, but honestly I still look at him as having possibly the greatest potential in the league right now at that position. I just don't think that town will ever let him realize it. If we can get him at a reasonable price, I make that deal 8 days a week.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
PSU Icers

I would definitely trade for Price, but only if we didnt have to give up too much.

PSU Icers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
You clearly don't understand how trade values work for goalies. I hope your new GM isn't as dumb as the fanbase.
I normally tend to agree, but Atlanta did get a former 1st rounder and a 4th round pick for a goalie with injury problems.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I normally tend to agree, but Atlanta did get a former 1st rounder and a 4th round pick for a goalie with injury problems.
Honestly, that trade made no sense.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Honestly, that trade made no sense.
True, but unfortunately, it has set a precedent.

That trade will undoubtedly come into discussions between any GMs looking to move a goaltender. Dallas gave MTL a good bargaining chip with that one.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:28 PM
JCameron418

I still don't see why Montreal would trade either to Philly given our history with them and the competition from both teams to make one of the bottom playoff spots. Chances are they'll hang on to both till the draft or deal one for a big upgrade.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:37 PM
captainpaxil

id be interested in price i think he really ha steh potential to be the answer. halak strikes me as teh next could he be the guy type philly usually looks for.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:54 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I still don't see why Montreal would trade either to Philly given our history with them and the competition from both teams to make one of the bottom playoff spots. Chances are they'll hang on to both till the draft or deal one for a big upgrade.

As some have noted in other discussions, when making a trade you're looking at what you can do to make your own team better more often than not. If Price is expendable, it means Montreal isn't expecting him to become an incredible goaltender; therefore, if we offer him a better package than anyone else, they'd be stupid not to take the trade just because we bounced them from the playoffs a few years back.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Gert B Frobe

Price is extremely talented and could be a franchise goalie in many cities not named Montreal. With a goalie like Price and the defense and system the Flyers have - they would be very, very hard to beat.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Leighton.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Garneij

I would love to have Schneider but i guess that's another discussion. Nucks would probably ask for the whole team plus another set of Swedish ginger teens in return.

I would take Price in a heartbeat. As mentioned, Coburn for him, would be awesome but som jerk GM will surely throw in a first rounder/draftpick along with a player like Coburn.

I don't trust Emery..

Garneij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

That trade will undoubtedly come into discussions between any GMs looking to move a goaltender. Dallas gave MTL a good bargaining chip with that one.
Maybe they can trade Ryan Parent and a 4th rounder?

I think if Emery's health renders him out after the break, they go the veteran trade route.

Old
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

It's not just that trade. No GM in his sane mind is going to give up a former 5th overall pick that has the potential to be a franchise goalie for scraps.

Comparisons to what other goalies fetched in return in a trade are useless because this is a unique circumstance. No one trades a goalie with so much potential. The only similar comparison is when Luongo was dealt to Florida but that was the worst GM in hockey making that deal.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Halak is a better player right now, he's actually been solid everywhere since the start of his career.

Price is really streaky, but at his best he's as good as anyone in the league.

I would like the Habs to keep them both for now, since the rest of the team sucks anyway.
Halak might be a little better this season but that gap is not big. Price is 2 years younger (which is huge) and talented.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
It's not just that trade. No GM in his sane mind is going to give up a former 5th overall pick that has the potential to be a franchise goalie for scraps.

Comparisons to what other goalies fetched in return in a trade are useless because this is a unique circumstance. No one trades a goalie with so much potential. The only similar comparison is when Luongo was dealt to Florida but that was the worst GM in hockey making that deal.
Lehtonen was a 2nd overall pick, and with a proper trainer, will be a franchise goalie for the Stars. Honestly, I think Price is worth more than that, but not JVR/Giroux more than that. A good promising prospect, and a 2nd/3rd would be very difficult for MTL to turn down in my opinion. Do we have any French-Canadians in the farm system...they'll take him as long as he can speak French.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Lehtonen was a 2nd overall pick, and with a proper trainer, will be a franchise goalie for the Stars. Honestly, I think Price is worth more than that, but not JVR/Giroux more than that. A good promising prospect, and a 2nd/3rd would be very difficult for MTL to turn down in my opinion. Do we have any French-Canadians in the farm system...they'll take him as long as he can speak French.
What do you consider a good promising prospect?

Put yourself in Montreal's shoes. You have a goalie you taken with the 5th overall pick that has the potential to be elite. He's already in his 3rd season in the NHL at 22 which is unusual for goalies. His career compares favorably to the other elite goalies at the same age. Why would you deal Price for less than someone with similar value? You would be better off keeping him because his value is greater to you than just some decent prospect and a middling pick.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What do you consider a good promising prospect?

Put yourself in Montreal's shoes. You have a goalie you taken with the 5th overall pick that has the potential to be elite. He's already in his 3rd season in the NHL at 22 which is unusual for goalies. His career compares favorably to the other elite goalies at the same age. Why would you deal Price for less than someone with similar value? You would be better off keeping him because his value is greater to you than just some decent prospect and a middling pick.
As I have said before, Price's value is not similar to JVR or Giroux. It's closer to Coburn than anything else we have.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If they're cheap, I'll welcome them to Philadelphia.

Right now I'm reconsidering my offer of Coburn straight up for Price.
And the Habs don't even consider this.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:09 AM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
And the Habs don't even consider this.
I hope your new GM is not as dumb as most of its fans.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Agreed, I dont see the Habs giving up one of the goalies to Philly unless thier offer was WAY better than anyone else. Even then I dont know if I can see it.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
As I have said before, Price's value is not similar to JVR or Giroux. It's closer to Coburn than anything else we have.
Coburn alone wont even be close to enough for either Habs goalie. The Habs need size and skill upfront anyways, not more Defense, especially one who isnt playing well.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

In the offseason my top 3 targets are:

1. Price
2. Schnieder
3. Bernier

Next would be to add more size upfront.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote