HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts is out of control

Old
02-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
For two grown men they sure are acting like school kids in the playground.

One should call the other, have a beer and talk. If not I can see this getting much much worse as spring rolls in. I have no problem with what Torts did to DZ, I expected it before it happened. I did however have a problem with how Torts disrespected Larry in front of his peers. They are both wrong so grow up, shake and lets move on with our lives.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:14 PM
SomE

Name one rookie defenseman that Torts brought along in Tampa? I'm pretty sure there is infact only one.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:22 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
EJ Radek and Milbury didn't like what Tortorella did.
2 more a**holes

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
bubba5

Torts, get some water with that Jam!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Name one rookie defenseman that Torts brought along in Tampa? I'm pretty sure there is infact only one.
Try and name any good d-men Tampa has ever developed in the history of the team in the last 10 years.

I can think of Victor Hedman, Danny Boyle and Paul Ranger.

And Boyle was a Panthers pick.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:39 PM
SomE

Kubina, sarich..

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Overreact much, Larry?
seriously.

Del Zotto learned a lesson. While I want him to feel like he's one of the guys, he shouldn't be talking to the refs in most circumstances unless its a positive or neutral manner. He needs to realize he's a 19 year old, I think Refs would be much quicker to give him an unsportsmanlike than a vet to show him how they are in the NHL.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Kubina, sarich..
I said last 10 years.

And Sarich is a bad example if you're bashing Torts (can't tell), since he really hit his stride UNDER Torts and wasn't really anything special before he was there. And now he's nothing great again. Mediocre 3rd pairing d-man.

Old
02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
nyrfan519

Hey, Larry, this just in...Torts DID NOT touch Del Zotto! What the hell are you writing about??

I'm pretty sure Larry is the one who's out of control.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:49 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Didn't that start over a something Brooks wrote about Redden that Torts didn't like?
He stood up for his player, sure he probably could have picked a better way to do it, but I have no problem with that.
Brooks is one always trying to start something so he has something to write about instead of just covering the team.
Oh that was just the first salvo this year perhaps, but Brooks and Torts have been going at each other at least since the Devils-Lightning playoff series in 2007, after one of the Tampa losses with the famous 'we know what we did' press conference where Brooks kept badgering him for an answer and Torts wouldn't give him one and repeated basically that same phrase over and over again. I think he may have even told Larry to go **** off too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI

Last edited by NJDevs26: 02-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.
NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Block More Shots

Brooksie should shut the hell up. He has no idea what it's like to be a head coach at the NHL level. Yes, Torts has crossed the line through cursing and stuff at him over the course of their feud, but Larry is just as bad as him by writing stuff like this.

Torts did the right thing by yelling at Del Zotto. As a 19-year old rookie in the NHL, you SHOULD just keep your mouth shut and concentrate on your game. That penalty led to the game-winning goal for Nashville, essentially coughing up 2 points to a team that looked pretty weak out there for the most part.

I may not agree with everything Torts does as the coach, but he was definitely correct in his handling of the MDZ situation. I'm glad he put him back out there too in the 3rd...it gave him the opportunity to bounce back and make up for his mistake.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:14 AM
broadwayblue

That's more like the Brooks I know. For a while there I was agreeing with most of what he wrote. But this time he's the one who's out of control.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:20 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Again, are you ignoring the fact Torts pretty much did the same thing to Larry in a professional setting just a short time ago??

You get back what you give.
Torts has never let his relationship with Brooks affect his job performance.

Not only is Brooks trying character assassination, but he's not even doing it well. There was nothing particularly out of the ordinary with the way that Torts yelled at Del Zotto, yet Brooks makes the leap that he was on the verge of assaulting him?

Brooks is trying to make the leap from angry old man to crazy old man.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 02-15-2010 at 12:26 AM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:58 AM
bubba5

Torts has very little professionalism. He is here because he won a cup in Tampa, if he does not have that cup he still working for TSN (unless they would fire him for lack of professionalism).

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0fVpV0if5

Larry stirring the pot with Torts.
Are we talking mite hockey or dealing with professionals?

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:38 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
He is here because he won a cup in Tampa...
Is that all?

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Is that all?
If he hadn't do you really think he would be here?

02-15-2010, 08:18 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
For two grown men they sure are acting like school kids in the playground.

One should call the other, have a beer and talk. If not I can see this getting much much worse as spring rolls in. I have no problem with what Torts did to DZ, I expected it before it happened. I did however have a problem with how Torts disrespected Larry in front of his peers. They are both wrong so grow up, shake and lets move on with our lives.

I may have missed it, but I did not hear about one of Brook's peers coming out in defense of him.

LB has been disrespecting the Ranger Orginization with his collum for years.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:39 AM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Respect is earned. What exactly have the Rangers done to deserve this respect? Their owner is a joke. Prices increase and have changed the makeup of the Garden over the years. The cable system is not in the best interest of the fans (HD on iO only). Their GM continues to waste money on bad free agent contracts (Gaborik being the only exception). The coach has a temper, and his manipulation of the lineup has me scratching my head (and LB his).

LB continues to point out these deficiencies, and gets raked over the coals for it. Frankly, while I disagree with much of what he has to say, I respect LB for telling it like he see it rather than being a complete homer. He was vehemently against the Brashear mess from the start, and we all should have been if we were true fans of the Rangers. It's not just about winning, it's also about the sweater. LB gets it.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
chosen

Don't care much about Brooks in any direction but he's right that Torts has shown himself to be an immature man on more than one occasion. Seems like a class A jerk to me.

I want to have a good coach for the Rangers. I don't care who writes for the Post.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
Respect is earned. What exactly have the Rangers done to deserve this respect? Their owner is a joke. Prices increase and have changed the makeup of the Garden over the years. The cable system is not in the best interest of the fans (HD on iO only). Their GM continues to waste money on bad free agent contracts (Gaborik being the only exception). The coach has a temper, and his manipulation of the lineup has me scratching my head (and LB his).

LB continues to point out these deficiencies, and gets raked over the coals for it. Frankly, while I disagree with much of what he has to say, I respect LB for telling it like he see it rather than being a complete homer. He was vehemently against the Brashear mess from the start, and we all should have been if we were true fans of the Rangers. It's not just about winning, it's also about the sweater. LB gets it.

All that maybe true, but you leave out the hundreds of other articles he writes which are just off the wall fiction, for years he spewed anti- Ranger collums. It's only until recently that he has toned down his retoric.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Levitate

To be completely honest I don't think Brooks really "tells it like it is (he sees it)" as much as he "tells it in the best way to sell the most papers (or please his editors the most"

I don't think Brooks has any altruistic motives in his writings

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
nanook of new jersey

Send a message via AIM to nanook of new jersey
i think everyone who has ever played an organized sport has gotten yelled at for something by a coach at some point. i'm sure every NHL coach besides tom renney has yelled at their players before. it's mind-blowing to me to think that brooks finds this newsworthy.

nanook of new jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:23 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Brooks does not have the ability to write about the Rangers objectively.

Tortarella does not have the ability to control himself effectively with the media (namely LB aka - I get beat up at the bus stop).

The only reason Brooks' articles have as many readers is because the media in general (mainly American) just does not cover the hockey with the same energy they cover the other sports.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I may have missed it, but I did not hear about one of Brook's peers coming out in defense of him.

Not only that, but they were laughing at what Torts was saying.

It's not a little known thing that most journalists don't like Brooks. Be it jealousy for the access he's had over the years or what, but I know for a fact that he's not well liked in that circle at all.