HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will Gauthier's first moves as GM be?

Old
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
abagofsand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Price is gone guys!
I see more of a Sergei Kostitsyn deal happening.

abagofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by abagofsand View Post
I see more of a Sergei Kostitsyn deal happening.
I don't get it. You think they'll send Price back to Hamilton ?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
lmao, yep this is pretty much Prucha's doppelgänger.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
CanadienErrant*

1- He WON'T trade Price nor Halak...

2- He will try to get some one or two big wingers for his bottom two lines by trading guys like D'Agostini, S.Kost and Mara.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
smon

Doubt we'll see much activity to be honest. Maybe he'll pick up a bottom line winger. Don't think he'll be moving out many players, if any.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Doubt we'll see much activity to be honest. Maybe he'll pick up a bottom line winger. Don't think he'll be moving out many players, if any.
I concur, Gainey stepped down this week for a reason and I think it's because there isn't going to be any major move done by the Habs.

Watching Lecavalier get nabbed right under our nose though, that has some chances of happening.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
abagofsand

Can they put Gomez on waivers? I know there would be repercussions, but can it be done to save money.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
BLONG7

It will be a bottom 6 move, a 3rd line centre to replace Laps/Metro....a guy with size and energy, ala Laps last year, not this year...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Can they put Gomez on waivers? I know there would be repercussions, but can it be done to save money.
It wouldn't save money unless they stuffed him in the minors, and I don't think any owner is willing to pay a guy 7-million-plus for 4 years to play in the AHL.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
abagofsand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It wouldn't save money unless they stuffed him in the minors, and I don't think any owner is willing to pay a guy 7-million-plus for 4 years to play in the AHL.
agreed, but if said player is claimed on re-entry waivers, only half the salary is claimed.

Old
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Stan

Quote:
agreed, but if said player is claimed on re-entry waivers, only half the salary is claimed.
nevermind that Gomez is a very good player who only has one more year of being overpaid....at which time he could be moved quite easily and would likely fetch a good return. C'mon; the jealousy here is ridiculous.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
nevermind that Gomez is a very good player who only has one more year of being overpaid....at which time he could be moved quite easily and would likely fetch a good return. C'mon; the jealousy here is ridiculous.
His cap hit won't change, his salary will.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
His cap hit won't change, his salary will.
But the high cap hit and lower salary could be a selling point to teams trying to hit the ceiling. I don't believe he'd be that difficult to move if we go that route. Just saying, he a good player despite what you'd be led to believe by the talk on HF. If his cap hit was the same as his salary going forward he'd be a fan favorite.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
rocketlives

Forget it, we're stuck with Gomez, we're married with him. Bob rolled the dice and he lost.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
It really doesn't make sense to do this anyway. We're pretty much stuck with him and probably Gionta as well.

Going after more FA's doesn't really make sense at this point anyway. We should start over and rebuild.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Gomez is not that bad he got Pouliot going. With Gionta it's a pretty good line imo.

Now Gauthier must sign Pouliot for 3-4 years at a respectable salary.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Gomez is not that bad he got Pouliot going. With Gionta it's a pretty good line imo.
Gomez was never given a chance because of his contract. he could literally win the art ross and people would still complain.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Gomez was never given a chance because of his contract. he could literally win the art ross and people would still complain.
If he wins the Art Ross, nobody will complain.

Of course he'd have to double his output to do this so I wouldn't bet the house if I were you.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think Gomez has like 23Pts in his last 25-26GP, which is quite good.
He had a tough start and especially since Gionta went down. But since Gionta's been back, both have 16Pts in about 20GP I think.

He will always be overpaid and if we ever have a chance to move him, I think we should do it. Pouliot and Cammalleri could be turned into centermen. Ideally Pouliot would be the one turning into a center as he would add size down the middle.
Making a Gionta-Plek-Cammy with Kost broz-Pouliot, or put A.Kost with Plek-Cammy for size, and bring Gionta down to 2nd could be interesting too.

I'm not really disappointed with Gomez, I knew what was coming our way. I don't think we gave up too much for him because we simply don't know what the market value of a centerman was. So I think it's foolish to pretend to know, but if an opportunity would arise, I'd ship him away without hesitation. His salary dump could solve cap issues.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Pandemic

I still hate PG's smug little smile. I wanna smack it off.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
?

if gomez was on track to win the art ross, he'd have ~86pts (versus 39)... now let's be conservative and equate that to 24 more goals for the team (it would be more than that, but it wouldn't equate to 47 more goals).

safe to say that adding that kind of production to our team would bump us up significantly in the standings/win column...

instead of being a team competing for a playoff spot, we'd be competing for a division/conference title, and talking about what small piece we need to add to help our cup run, instead of debating between "selling or buying".

bottom line, add an art ross candidate to this team, and you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere near the criticism or negative feedback from the fan base.

Gomez, as an art ross candidate, would be a local hero, even at 1-2-3 million $ MORE/season.

problem is that he makes more than 5 of the top 10 scorers in the league, and more than 15 of the top 20 scorers in the league...

Art ross??? Gomez is 97th(maybe 96th after that goal ) in the league in scoring... give your head a shake.

That's why people complain. amazing that you can't make sense of that.

just look at the Stars... how much complaining do you hear about Richards these days??? why the crickets? because he's performing, 9th in the league in scoring and on the best ppg pace of his career.

if gomez was even CLOSE to his best PPG pace, there would be a lot less to talk about... but most observers, pros and fans alike, could easily see in the past few seasons that he simply isn't an 80pt player, heck he's barely even a 70pt player...

Art ross

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Habsfan18

Trade Spacek for a young, fast puck-moving D.

Pfft..yeah right. Doubt there will be any takers.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Here's what we could do for the playoffs:

- Trade for a physical forward to the top-6
- Replace either Spacek, Mara or Gill with a puck moving D-man (as previous poster suggested)

- Somehow dump some salary to make room for a playoff rental , without giving anything up

(forsberg? Palffy? Sykora?)

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Man, watching that clip hurt because when they drafted him I was in shock and also disappointed. It's so funny how Pierre was bang on back then. They still haven't addressed the need to have a big center down the middle. It's baffling

He wasn't bang on at all. Of course we need a big center, but there wasn't one available at that rank(other than maybe Kopitar) and the guy is talking about Theodore, Huet and Yan Danis!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Habitant#1

Why does everyone thing Gomez is so untradable? From what I heard there were other teams interested in trading for him at the time which is why we had to throw in McDonaugh. And his actual salary drops next year so that should make him even more tradable.

Sure we'd probably have to take some salary in return, but I think he's far from unmovable.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote