HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bring back Jagr?

Old
02-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Rangers2319

vCash: 500
Bring back Jagr?

All I hear is our team trying to trade for high profile names such as heatley at the beginning of the season then trying to acquire kovalchuk and now im reading dubi is being shopped around.

We should save our young assests and in the offseason try to sign kovy if not i say to bring back jagr. It may be a long shot but if i recall correctly he signed a 2yr contract with avangard which would conclude at the end of this season. Benefits of bringing back jagr is that he works well with dubi as we have seen in the past and it would be great to develop him some more. So by bringing jagr back you have 1 solid line, then you have prospal who works well with gaborik so theres a 2nd solid line, put drury back with callahan and theres your 3rd.

The benefits of jagr over kovy in my opinion are far superior because we know the history of jagr and how well he works with our players. Kovy while great and one of my favorite players to watch, you bring him in not knowing who he is going to work with. I also suspect we may be able to sign jagr for a little bit cheaper than kovy with far less years on the contract as well.

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 05:38 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

with all the obvious needs the contracted core of this team will have in the offseason, a high scoring winger probably isn't one of them.

2 top 6 centers

2 top 4 d-men

if that stuff isn't going to be overwhelmingly obviously filled by current prospects, that's where the money needs to go.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 05:58 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
with all the obvious needs the contracted core of this team will have in the offseason, a high scoring winger probably isn't one of them.

2 top 6 centers

2 top 4 d-men

if that stuff isn't going to be overwhelmingly obviously filled by current prospects, that's where the money needs to go.
I don't think theres even one legit top line center out there this off-season thats not already under-contract.

and the best d-man out there will be volchenkov who i see singing with ottawa.

Jagr would cost cheap and before he left he said its either the rangers or nothing so who knows.If kovy isin't an option than jagr would be a decent addition.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 05:59 AM
RStar*

Maybe you guys can work something out where you trade Wade Redden for him.

If so, let me know. The Oilers will then somehow trade Horcoff for one of Jagr's linemates.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:08 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Maybe you guys can work something out where you trade Wade Redden for him.
I think people will literally kiss sathers ass if he somehow made redden leave and put jagr in.

Last edited by FromTheSide: 02-15-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old
02-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Kostik

Jagr is 38 years old today. Happy birthday big guy.
Just as today i read article about him in Czech press.
http://translate.google.com/translat...s&tl=en&swap=1
In some trainings, he wears 38 or 11 pounds heavy body armor, so he can stay fit and can keep up with younger players.
He said it's his best motivation :] JJ is crazy.
I believe he is set for return to NHL, and he publicly stated several times he would not mind to play on third line and for cheap contract.
Imho Pittsburgh seems like perfect fit for him next season...not sure if JJ is in Sather's plans.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:33 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Jagr is 38 years old today. Happy birthday big guy.
Just as today i read article about him in Czech press.
http://translate.google.com/translat...s&tl=en&swap=1
In some trainings, he wears 38 or 11 pounds heavy body armor, so he can stay fit and can keep up with younger players.
He said it's his best motivation :] JJ is crazy.
I believe he is set for return to NHL, and he publicly stated several times he would not mind to play on third line and for cheap contract.
Imho Pittsburgh seems like perfect fit for him next season...not sure if JJ is in Sather's plans.
Thats pretty ridiculous (in a good way) Glad to see jags is still devoted to play hockey and hopefully in the NHL again.

Its really either here or PIT IMO.All that edomton/renney hooplah is eklund-level rumors.I think if jags came back he would at least try to get on a half decent team or a cup contender and not just waste time rebuilding.

Old
02-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Section311

I wouldnt count the oilers out either. Remember he admitted that his KHL team had a deal in place to let him go but they made the playoffs on the last day of the regular season. I remember him admitting that the oilers were going to give him a two year deal. Remember Jagr loves renney.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Thats pretty ridiculous (in a good way) Glad to see jags is still devoted to play hockey and hopefully in the NHL again.

Its really either here or PIT IMO.All that edomton/renney hooplah is eklund-level rumors.I think if jags came back he would at least try to get on a half decent team or a cup contender and not just waste time rebuilding.
*Cough Cough* Not us *Cough Cough*

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:48 AM
dccuse

if we can get him for 3 a season (which might be unlikely) for 2 years then we gotta bite. he would go far to balance the scoring on the top three lines, assuming he can still rack up about 50 points. if you resign christensen to play between gaborik and prospal (also resigned), let dubi center drury and jagr and anisimov center avery and callahan you could for the first time in a long time have three competent lines. then when his k is up in two years so is drury's and we can make a splash depending on whther stepan, grachev, werek, and kreider have made it to the big show.

so yes. sign jagr.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Sockosensei

How's Jagr's play these days? It's been two years since most of us have watched him.
Are there any avid Omsk watchers who could chime in here?

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
I don't think theres even one legit top line center out there this off-season thats not already under-contract.
Jokinen?

Also: please no Jags again. I don't know if that personality would fit on this team. He demands a lot from the players around him, as I recall. These guys have just spent a season learning to take the tempo up a notch and Jags always wanted to slow it down. Don't want to see wasted months next season as Jags' line plays its own way and everyone else is doing something else.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I think this ship has sailed. But what sucks more is if we would've just given Jagr the 7mil for 2yrs like he wanted we probably wouldn't have had to the capspace to sign Redden.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
It won't happen, even though it would be cool if it did. I'd take a one year 4 mil deal easy, question is would Jagr.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Nyrvana

The only two players on the market worth going for are Kovy and Martin, imho. Every other player is older and will be just like signing Redden or Drury.

Kovy - 8 years ... Martin - 4 years

Any centers have to be acquired via trade. The worst thing this team could do is sign Marleau to a huge contract. Again imho, I feel like Prospal and Gaborik work well together, and I feel like Christenson has the best vision on the ice. Also, Dubinsky could fit that roll and if we sign Kovy, I could see them working well together.

Offseason Agenda:
1. Get rid of large contracts. 2. Get Kovy. Everything else doesn't matter.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
bscharf

jagr

there problems are beyond the need of a scoring winger. what we need is a solid defenseman which is why when calgary dealt phaneuf, i believe we really missed out. All we hear is buzz about dubi and redden being moved and it never happens. we could have unloaded higgins kotalik redden and dubi for arguments sake and bring phaneuf and jokinen to NY.

Another problem is torts moves the lines around so much that there is no chemistry on the team. he never keeps the same lines together even for the length of one game. when guys play together more you see more productive lines. we should have christiansen prospal and gabby together and cally jokinen and dubi together. this team has alot of talent, its just not managed correctly.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
bscharf

jagr

sather would want to wait till jagrs 40 and then give him a 8 year deal.
bad idea, how about getting a kovy type player thatll be a star in the league for atleast another decade if not more.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
TheHotRock

imo, whatever money we save should be thrown at volchenkov.

having said that, if come to these boards on july 1 and see that we signed jagr to a one year deal, i would be very happy.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
jniklast

Thinking that Redden's contract took away the cap-space to re-sign Jagr really makes me throw up

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
otto1219

no chance jagr comes to new york and plays under torts. IF jagr comes back to the nhl it will be in edmonton with Renney who he is really close with or Pittsburgh, where he said time and time again, he would play for the minimum in appreciation for everything Mario has done for him and his career.

Would love Jagr back in NY, but it will not happen.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Thinking that Redden's contract took away the cap-space to re-sign Jagr really makes me throw up
Don't forget he was still over 35 at the time, and it would have been a risk. One that he even acknowledged before going to Russia.

Quote:
"I wanted to go home in three years so I was looking for a three-year contract if I wanted to stay here," said Jagr. "But it looks like with the new CBA, it's tough for older guys to sign long-term contracts because teams are worried you're going to get injured or retire and they're stuck with the salary on the salary cap."

As Jagr pointed out, the CBA stipulates that players 35 and over have their full contracts count against the salary cap even if the player retires midway through or gets hit by a bus.

"So it was too tough for any team to sign me to a three-year contract," said Jagr. "But I didn't want to do a one-year deal because I didn't want to go through the same thing again next summer. Because I really didn't enjoy this."

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
nanook of new jersey

Send a message via AIM to nanook of new jersey
i feel like i remember reading that he said he would play for league minimum for the pens. that makes the most sense. if we could get him for ridiculously cheap, 1-2 years, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

but then again, i think torts would pull his hair out trying to coach him.

nanook of new jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I was hoping everyone would at least wait until the olympics actually started before this speculation came about.

No, for so many reasons.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No. No. No. No.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
pwoz

I just want to see Jagr get that 1600th point... preferably on the Rangers and not Pittsburgh.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote