HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts is out of control

Old
02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Not only that, but they were laughing at what Torts was saying.

It's not a little known thing that most journalists don't like Brooks. Be it jealousy for the access he's had over the years or what, but I know for a fact that he's not well liked in that circle at all.
The fact that he doesn't even try to be objective in a profession where objectivity is supposed to be the number one goal might have something to do with why his peers don't like him.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Not only that, but they were laughing at what Torts was saying.

It's not a little known thing that most journalists don't like Brooks. Be it jealousy for the access he's had over the years or what, but I know for a fact that he's not well liked in that circle at all.
Its not jealousy for his access, its because he writes atrociously stupid articles like this one. If I were a peer of his who held myself to even the loosest standards of integrity, I would have no respect for an article like this or whoever wrote it. Torts yelled at a rookie who more or less cost the team the game when they desperately need points by talking badly to the refs, something that is absolutely, 100% in Del Zotto's control. Its not like someone turned around last second and he got hitting from behind, he went out of his way to yap at the refs more than once.

He absolutely deserves to be screamed at in front of his teammates.

If Brooks had any interest in reporting the truth of the situation he would have never made the disgusting leap of logic that implies Torts would or has physically abused his players. If he wanted to be a professional sports writer, he could have pointed out that MDZ went back into the game in the third, which if I'm not mistaken, if something that Torts has never done to a player that he's screamed at a moved to the end of the bench before. When Redden got benched, when Avery got benched. Whenever anyone get put at the end of the bench by Torts he keeps them there until the end of the game. This time, he put Del Zotto back out. Personally, I think thats a smart decision since MDZ has some of the best playmaking vision on the team. Also, I think it shows that Torts respects Del Zottos abilities on the ice and his ability to get the message maybe even faster and clearer than some other players on the team.

Brooks is a moron. This article is exhibit A.
The words "New York Post" on the heading of his publication is exhibit B.

Do a google search for "New York Post Cover," and check out some of the covers of this publication in the past. You'll notice that they're really oozing with integrity over there. Brooks is just the sports division of this joke of a paper. He dramatizes the Rangers like they dramatize the news, using huge leaps of logic and laughable amounts of professionalism.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Before Del Z got those 4 minutes in PIM, he had 5 minor penalties the last 3 months.

3 months of games, 5 minor penalties. He's hardly a discipline problem that needs calling out after a very bad call that he had every right to contest.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:16 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
To be completely honest I don't think Brooks really "tells it like it is (he sees it)" as much as he "tells it in the best way to sell the most papers (or please his editors the most"

I don't think Brooks has any altruistic motives in his writings
You are right. But the problem is he both covers the team for the Post, and he is also a columnist. Those two jobs are very different and if you do one right (tell it like it is as a columnist by throwing in your opinion), you are going to make your life as the beat reporter very difficult.

I hate to seem like I am defending LB. I am not a fan of his and I think the Post shortchanges the Rangers on coverage (all local papers do actually). But I do not like the way the Rangers and the Garden treat those in the local media that do anything other than act as homers. I mean, Marv Albert got fired for keeping it real.

LB has ripped Torts, who I think has done a horrible job as coach, and while some of LB's ripping might be off target, wrong, or even motivated by some kind of personal agenda, he isn't entirely wrong. The fact that the there is ripping of the messenger and not the message is what I find most frustrating.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Before Del Z got those 4 minutes in PIM, he had 5 minor penalties the last 3 months.

3 months of games, 5 minor penalties. He's hardly a discipline problem that needs calling out after a very bad call that he had every right to contest.
Stupid penalties that come from yapping at the ref deserve a disciplinary response.

And there's no such thing as "contesting" a penalty. The only thing you're going to do is get another penalty.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Stupid penalties that come from yapping at the ref deserve a disciplinary response.

And there's no such thing as "contesting" a penalty. The only thing you're going to do is get another penalty.
Yeah your right, no players ever contest a penalty call w/o repercussions

Del Z was singled out by Torts, like I said, the kid is HARDLY a disciplne problem, look at his stats. If this were an issue then you lay into Del Z, but this obviously was not. It was a borderline call to begin with. In a close game I can see how both could lose there cool, but Torts is the elder here, he shouldve chose his spot better.

Old
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Levitate

Nah dude it was dumb as **** by Del Zotto and Tortorella did what he does. Of course he singled out Del Zotto, I didn't see anyone else getting unsportsmanlike penalties for *****ing to the refs!

Truth be told you're kind of making it into a bigger deal than it needs to be. He got yelled at a little, oh no! He didn't even get benched for the game or anything.

And yes players "contest" penalties without getting additional penalties, but the word "contest" isn't the right one to use. It's just *****ing, plain and simple. Refs don't reverse their calls because you complain. Nothing good can come from complaining about a call, there's no real "contesting" to it. That implies there could be a different, positive, outcome if you take issue

Old
02-15-2010, 01:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

torts is a clown. hes a bigmouth and he needs to go.

he acted like the bench bully that he is. he made mdz look like a fool by undressing him on the bench and in doing so, torts looked like the tool that he is. the goal made him so angry he couldnt control himself and he went off. classy move there coach.

the kid is 19. he mouthed off and cost the team but he didnt deserve to be whacked like that.

mdz knew he screwed up or better yet, he knew he gave the refs the opportunity to ring him up for an extra 2. he didnt need to be spoken to like that on the bench mid game in front of teammates.

lisins been there, same with redden and avery.

mdz made a mistake. torts did what torts always does... he made it worse.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Nah dude it was dumb as **** by Del Zotto and Tortorella did what he does. Of course he singled out Del Zotto, I didn't see anyone else getting unsportsmanlike penalties for *****ing to the refs!

Truth be told you're kind of making it into a bigger deal than it needs to be. He got yelled at a little, oh no! He didn't even get benched for the game or anything.

And yes players "contest" penalties without getting additional penalties, but the word "contest" isn't the right one to use. It's just *****ing, plain and simple. Refs don't reverse their calls because you complain. Nothing good can come from complaining about a call, there's no real "contesting" to it. That implies there could be a different, positive, outcome if you take issue
Haha, i'm not making it bigger than it was, Torts already took care of that. If it were not that big of deal why lunge at the kid and look like your ready to strangle him for it? He sat Del Z for awhile then realized it wasnt that big a deal and played him. Were the 'theatrics' necessary?

And yeah contesting calls does help, if ya never played hockey I dont expect you to understand how. Why do captains/coaches do it ? To ***** and moan right?

Old
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Axxion89

Not a fan or Torts, but Del Zotto got what he deserved in the yelling. Its called accountability. Its a close game and you're going to argue with the ref over a call and cost us a another 2 mins of PK? I'd do the same thing I don't care how old/young he is.

And Brooks is an idiot, his opinions always seem liek he's riding what the fanbase is thinking rather than being objective or even giving a unique/different opinion.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Levitate

ah yes the infamous "if you've never played hockey before..." line of argument. Always a sure sign that your argument is weak to begin with

Old
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
ah yes the infamous "if you've never played hockey before..." line of argument. Always a sure sign that your argument is weak to begin with
In this case it applies as you are saying no one ever mouths to the ref. And that it does no good. Again, explain to me what the coach and captain do when they speak to a ref about a bad call? Are they *****ing an moaning for no reason?

Look at Crosby, every call against him he yaps from the moment he the whistle blows and doesnt stop until the next puck is dropped. Has he ever gotten chewed out by his coach for it? How about Ovechkin, first year in the league he got an extra 2 for yapping, his coach didnt act like a fool once he got back to the bench. Maybe cause their coaches knew they were dealing with rookie mistakes in the heat f battle. Like I pointed out, Del Z has no background of this, in fact, its the complete opposite, most if not everyone thinks he's years ahead when it comes to maturity. He got angry that he got called for a ******** penalty in a close game. He's passionate, but he made a mistake, lets not treat him like he does it all the time, but too late Torts already did.

Old
02-15-2010, 02:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Look at Crosby, every call against him he yaps from the moment he the whistle blows and doesnt stop until the next puck is dropped. Has he ever gotten chewed out by his coach for it? How about Ovechkin, first year in the league he got an extra 2 for yapping, his coach didnt act like a fool once he got back to the bench. Maybe cause their coaches knew they were dealing with rookie mistakes in the heat f battle.
Or they know the they're not going to win a power struggle with those players.

02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Haha, i'm not making it bigger than it was, Torts already took care of that. If it were not that big of deal why lunge at the kid and look like your ready to strangle him for it? He sat Del Z for awhile then realized it wasnt that big a deal and played him. Were the 'theatrics' necessary?

And yeah contesting calls does help, if ya never played hockey I dont expect you to understand how. Why do captains/coaches do it ? To ***** and moan right?
Guess what? Del Zotto is not a ****ing captain and he's not a coach.. He is not supposed to be talking to refs about calls.

I played hockey for a long time (most of my life). The only time I ever argued a call was when I was captaining my teams.

It's a heat of the moment thing, as well. The move was beyond idiotic by Del Zotto and I've been coached by guys who WOULD strangle you if you did something like that. Guess what? Everyone learned not to do it. There is a distinct hierarchy here and Del Zotto is not a part of it yet. If he was, he'd have every right to discuss it with the ref. Not make some little quip to the guy (probably something like, "what the ****, ref?"). You respect refs and you go to the box quietly unless you're captaining the damn tea.

You're completely wrong about this.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Thats right, we shouldn't tell players when they do something wrong because it might hurt their feelings. Thats the kind of mental strength I want on my professional hockey club.

Lets bring back Zherdev and give him a pacifier as a mouth guard while we're at it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Or they know the they're not going to win a power struggle with those players.
Torts can pull that BS with the youngest player on the team, he's a big man.

Quote:
Guess what? Del Zotto is not a ****ing captain and he's not a coach.. He is not supposed to be talking to refs about calls.

I played hockey for a long time (most of my life). The only time I ever argued a call was when I was captaining my teams.

It's a heat of the moment thing, as well. The move was beyond idiotic by Del Zotto and I've been coached by guys who WOULD strangle you if you did something like that. Guess what? Everyone learned not to do it.

You're completely wrong about this.
What did Del Z say to the ref i'm curious if you or anyone knows? Did it really seem over the top or lengthy? It seemed like the ref had a quick reaction considering many NHL stars mouth off going all the way to the box. I can understand the ref for calling him if he did something out of the ordinary, but it didnt seem like that at all. And this was a borderline call in a close game.

But this is about Torts, he yells and lunges at a rookie who made a rookie mistake for the first time. Wonder if he smacked his kid the first time he didnt clean his room. Afterall, he knows that he's supposed to clean it !

Old
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM
RichterLundqvist

Del Zotto mouthed off and got *****ed out. He's getting paid how much? I think he can stand a little public embarrassment. He made a mistake he's not likely make again, and it cost the team as well. Between getting yelled at and costing his team, I'm sure he learned his lesson and we won't see it happen again. Better to learn as a 19 year old than to go through his career being a tool and having it happen again and again. If he had to ABSOLUTELY say something, he should state his case after a whistle, calmly (as it can be done in that situation), and skate away. Don't piss off the refs and get a reputation.

Also, Brooks is a total dbag and regardless of his and Tort's personal history, as a journalist he's absolute trash. "Articles" like he writes get you fired elsewhere.

Edit: Bluenote ^^ he had been yapping at the ref since a sequence before on a missed call, was likely told to stuff it. When he was called his commenting on it was likely enough for the ref to say "**** it, you're getting the extra 2"

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Kaktus*

Trots is a mental case and it's not because he is now a head coach of NYR. He always was a little crazy.

Every hockey head coach screams (with exception of John Stevens) but Trots is taking it to another level.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
ToWhat did Del Z say to the ref i'm curious if you or anyone knows? Did it really seem over the top or lengthy? It seemed like the ref had a quick reaction considering many NHL stars mouth off going all the way to the box. I can understand the ref for calling him if he did something out of the ordinary, but it didnt seem like that at all. And this was a borderline call in a close game.

But this is about Torts, he yells and lunges at a rookie who made a rookie mistake for the first time. Wonder if he smacked his kid the first time he didnt clean his room. Afterall, he knows that he's supposed to clean it !
He just has no right to be contesting calls. End of story. He's not the captain nor does he have an A on his chest, either. He is a rookie. He should be keeping his mouth shut. Even if he was a few years in the league, it would at least be slightly more acceptable (but still not if he didn't have a letter). As a rookie, he needs to shut his mouth and play.

Like I said before -- DZ didn't seem angry or upset in his interview last night. He seemed upbeat and ready to go. I'm sure what Torts said to him when he yelled at him was nothing all that bad.

You live, you learn. Sometimes you learn when a dude screams at you. Del Zotto deserved it and this will hopefully not cost us any unsportsmanlike penalties in the future.

Old
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah your right, no players ever contest a penalty call w/o repercussions

Del Z was singled out by Torts, like I said, the kid is HARDLY a disciplne problem, look at his stats. If this were an issue then you lay into Del Z, but this obviously was not. It was a borderline call to begin with. In a close game I can see how both could lose there cool, but Torts is the elder here, he shouldve chose his spot better.
players with letters on their chest are allowed (i think) to talk about a penalty, but if you dont have a letter, and you yap, and yap, and yap, youre going to get hit with a penalty. MDZ admitted he was wrong, and the coach was right, end of story.

hes a good kid, a humble kid, and he knows he screwed up, Torts benched him, but put him right back into the game after the period.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Thats right, we shouldn't tell players when they do something wrong because it might hurt their feelings. Thats the kind of mental strength I want on my professional hockey club.

Lets bring back Zherdev and give him a pacifier as a mouth guard while we're at it.
And of course thats what i'm saying

Torts went ballistic, just short of putting is hands on Del , you can't even debate that. So then I ask, was this a repeat offender? Was it a veteran who made this mistake? Was the call BS? I can totally relate to Del Z's side of what happend. It was a mistake, a rookie one, first time he did that infact. No prior offenses, he didn't deserve the lashing he got, it was kind of silly for Torts to act like this kid has been doing this for more than one game.

Zherdev? Del Z has already proven in a few short months he has more guts than a guy like Zherdev.

Bottom line, Del Z has helped this team way more than he has hurt it, he made a mistake on that one call, lets not go overboard here. Oops too late Torts.

Old
02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post

Edit: Bluenote ^^ he had been yapping at the ref since a sequence before on a missed call, was likely told to stuff it. When he was called his commenting on it was likely enough for the ref to say "**** it, you're getting the extra 2"
Thanks, I knew there had to be more to it.

Old
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Rozsival has done much more for this team the last 5 years than Del Zotto, and I didnt hear anyone complaining when he benched him, yelled at him on several occasions, and made fun of him in the press conference.

Torts does this with ALL his players. Just because Del Zotto is a rookie doesnt mean he is any less accountable.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
And of course thats what i'm saying

Torts went ballistic, just short of putting is hands on Del , you can't even debate that. So then I ask, was this a repeat offender? Was it a veteran who made this mistake? Was the call BS? I can totally relate to Del Z's side of what happend. It was a mistake, a rookie one, first time he did that infact. No prior offenses, he didn't deserve the lashing he got, it was kind of silly for Torts to act like this kid has been doing this for more than one game.

Zherdev? Del Z has already proven in a few short months he has more guts than a guy like Zherdev.

Bottom line, Del Z has helped this team way more than he has hurt it, he made a mistake on that one call, lets not go overboard here. Oops too late Torts.
You keep on suggesting Torts went overboard. How? Unless Del Zotto regresses into a shell or something, Torts was right and made the right now.

Old
02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He just has no right to be contesting calls. End of story. He's not the captain nor does he have an A on his chest, either. He is a rookie. He should be keeping his mouth shut. Even if he was a few years in the league, it would at least be slightly more acceptable (but still not if he didn't have a letter). As a rookie, he needs to shut his mouth and play.

Like I said before -- DZ didn't seem angry or upset in his interview last night. He seemed upbeat and ready to go. I'm sure what Torts said to him when he yelled at him was nothing all that bad.

You live, you learn. Sometimes you learn when a dude screams at you. Del Zotto deserved it and this will hopefully not cost us any unsportsmanlike penalties in the future.
Shut his mouth and play? He's done that 99% of the time he's been an NHL'er. One bad mistake and he's made an example of, thats my problem. Torts is looking to rip someone, Del Z just happend to afford him that right I guess. Thankfully there were no water bottles around.