HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Correctly Fitting Ice Hockey Pants

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
  #1
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Correctly Fitting Ice Hockey Pants

Here's my specs: 5-10 1/2", 185 lbs, 39" waist (!)

I purchased from my LHS a pair of CCM V06s in the XL, as the tag inside the pants said waist 36" to 40".

I am wondering if these are too big, and naturally they are sold out of the large

I could order a Large online, but am wondering since the large is for 34-38, they might be too small.

Are the pants better off being snug, so that they don't move up/down when playing, or are they better off being a bit roomier, and then you can tighten them in?

The question is how should these type of pants fit in terms of tightness?

Also, my concern is that the V06 has a belt system which I can make fairly tight now, but might loosen and lose its functionality after a few months, where I'd be unable to tighten them enough.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:36 AM
  #2
Webernaut
Registered User
 
Webernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
I have a 39in waist as well although I am 6'3. Anyway, I think you are about in the same boat I was. I wear XL in the Bauer Vapor XXXX pants I have and tried the L and the waist fit fine in both. I went with the XL to get a little bit more length, naturally. BUT I believe it all comes down to preference.


Last edited by Webernaut: 02-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:37 PM
  #3
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
I have a 39in waist as well although I am 6'3. Anyway, I think you are about in the same boat I was. I wear XL in the Bauer Vapor XXXX pants I have and tried the L and the waist fight fine in both. I went with the XL to get a little bit more length, naturally. BUT I believe it all comes down to preference.
Hey Web. I went to my local rink's pro shop and picked up a pair of Tacklas.

The owner looked at me, said "you're a size 52", and that was that.

They are INCREDIBLY comfortable, and very light.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
  #4
Webernaut
Registered User
 
Webernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
That's international sizing. 52 would I think be like a US waist 36 which is strange. Hey, like I said it's preference. I wear medium elbow pads because I like them smaller. Glad you found a good pair.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
  #5
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
That's international sizing. 52 would I think be like a US waist 36 which is strange. Hey, like I said it's preference. I wear medium elbow pads because I like them smaller. Glad you found a good pair.
Yeah 36 - 38. Meanwhile the shock doctor jocks I've tried on were all XL - both the loose fit and the compression - and they were squashing the heck out of my waist

It just goes to show how absolutely crucial it is to be able to TRY STUFF ON before buying, and how critical it is for us to support our local hockey stores.

The online sites have their place, but without local stores and their expertise, I'd be wearing Sports Authority cheapie crap not knowing any better.

Anyway, I tried both the 52 and the 50, and I had a tough time even getting the 50 over my (big) gut. But the 52 was like a fine italian leather glove/custom leather jacket, it fit superbly.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:16 AM
  #6
thedonger
Registered User
 
thedonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Yeah 36 - 38. Meanwhile the shock doctor jocks I've tried on were all XL - both the loose fit and the compression - and they were squashing the heck out of my waist

It just goes to show how absolutely crucial it is to be able to TRY STUFF ON before buying, and how critical it is for us to support our local hockey stores.

The online sites have their place, but without local stores and their expertise, I'd be wearing Sports Authority cheapie crap not knowing any better.

Anyway, I tried both the 52 and the 50, and I had a tough time even getting the 50 over my (big) gut. But the 52 was like a fine italian leather glove/custom leather jacket, it fit superbly.

whatever fits you, fits you...but afaik, tackla 52 is typically considered a 34-36" waist.


fwiw, euro fit pants (like tackla) are different from north american fit (like bauer, ccm, rbk) where the euro fit is a bit snugger in the waist and take a good tug to put on, while the NA fit is typically a bit baggier.

and not ALL tackla pants are high quality.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
  #7
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
whatever fits you, fits you...but afaik, tackla 52 is typically considered a 34-36" waist.

fwiw, euro fit pants (like tackla) are different from north american fit (like bauer, ccm, rbk) where the euro fit is a bit snugger in the waist and take a good tug to put on, while the NA fit is typically a bit baggier.

and not ALL tackla pants are high quality.
I didn't understand it either, but unless the pants' size label is mis-marked, they fit quite well, so I'm sticking with them. They were quite snug, and seemed to form-fit me better than anything else I've tried on. Unlike the NA brands, they don't slide up or down after putting them on, and I prefer a tighter fit.

As for quality, the storekeeper showed me the 9000-style as well, and while there were some differences - I felt them to be minor - the pants appeared to offer significant protection, lightness in weight, and an excellent fit.

That being said, have you heard of issues with this model number - it's the 2440?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
  #8
thedonger
Registered User
 
thedonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I didn't understand it either, but unless the pants' size label is mis-marked, they fit quite well, so I'm sticking with them. They were quite snug, and seemed to form-fit me better than anything else I've tried on. Unlike the NA brands, they don't slide up or down after putting them on, and I prefer a tighter fit.

As for quality, the storekeeper showed me the 9000-style as well, and while there were some differences - I felt them to be minor - the pants appeared to offer significant protection, lightness in weight, and an excellent fit.

That being said, have you heard of issues with this model number - it's the 2440?
2440 is a solid pant. a bit overpriced though imo. the 9000 is a spectacular pant, one of the most mobile highly protective pants on the market...unfortunately they don't fit me quite right.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.