HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blade Curve Help

Old
02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

vCash: 500
Blade Curve Help

So i feel as thought im finally back into my game (took 8 years off). currently the main stick i use is an Easton ST with a Russia 18 curve, and the stick is cut down to about an 89 flex.

my problem lies in my shot. ive got the velocity back, and the aiming is slowly coming around, but i CANNOT keep the puck down. I try to have a lower follow trough, and a bunch of other stuff, and cant seem to keep the puck down.

this Russia 18 curve is slightly open at the end. would that contribute to these wild shots going 5 feet OVER the net? ive never had trouble picking corners, and never had trouble keeping the puck at a reasonable height.

should i be looking for a curve with a more closed end to it? if so, any recommendations? i dont like crazy curves, i prefer "milder" curves.

would the flex of the stick also affect the controllability of the shot?

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
So i feel as thought im finally back into my game (took 8 years off). currently the main stick i use is an Easton ST with a Russia 18 curve, and the stick is cut down to about an 89 flex.

my problem lies in my shot. ive got the velocity back, and the aiming is slowly coming around, but i CANNOT keep the puck down. I try to have a lower follow trough, and a bunch of other stuff, and cant seem to keep the puck down.

this Russia 18 curve is slightly open at the end. would that contribute to these wild shots going 5 feet OVER the net? ive never had trouble picking corners, and never had trouble keeping the puck at a reasonable height.

should i be looking for a curve with a more closed end to it? if so, any recommendations? i dont like crazy curves, i prefer "milder" curves.

Yes, an open toe contributes to shot height. It is possible to keep the puck down with that type of curve but if you are looking for an easier way a gradual curve with a closed toe could help. The "mildest" curve in an Easton is the Zetterberg (formerly Forsberg/Modano), a 3/8" curve with a closed toe.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:17 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

A curve being a little bit open won't cause your problem and neither will the flex rating, even if it's way off. I think I know what you're doing because after I take a few weeks off, I do it too. Remember the proper wrist shot motion is to push out with the bottom hand and pull in with the top hand, at the same time. Make sure you're closing the blade enough and have your toe aiming where you want to go. Even having played for quite a long time, I still sometimes get lazy with my shot!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post

Yes the open blade would directly correlate to a higher shot. The kick point is what affects the height of the shot, not so much the flex. If you're going to stick with Easton, I suggest Iginla which I believe is also known as P7? Not sure on that. Modano is a good one too.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:12 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

i have the ST with the Russia 18, then a cheap 1-piece easton with an iginla curve, and a reebok 6k two-piece with an iginla blade. i need to bust out the cheap easton and give it a shot.

donGjohnson-ill check that out. there is a good chance that that is contributing to the problem!

i think i might also be "leaning" into it too much, and there fore ending up shooting right off the toe (or something). its kind of hard to pinpoint the problem without seeing a video of what im doing or having a friend point it out. unfortunately most of my friends have horrible shots and arent exactly shooting coaches.hahaha

Old
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
stick9

Your follow through can affect the height of you shot. Try lowering your follow through and see what happens.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Hockeyfan68

If you need a basic all around blade with a closed face on the toe go with an ERaston Heatley, CCM Recchi, Iginla pattern is good too and basic.

What I mean by basic is no open face and mid curve that is not very deep. great for passing, backhanders, wristshots and slapshots. It takes more work to rise the shots so if you want a rising shot then take the other's advice and get an open faced at the toe pattern.

I use a very open faced pattern but i can control my shot with it because I am experienced at playing. Even with the experience it took a few sessions to get a handle to it. I use the Getzlaf / Lidstrom / Samsonov crazy open type pattern.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Keep your stick low to the ice, sweep a bit more than loading it on wristers, snap your wrists earlier, that should help a bit. The toe curves are great for getting the puck up in close but from a ways out it does take a lot of control...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:37 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Just like Webernaut said an open blade will definitely affect height. I dunno if you've ever played golf but look at a pitching wedge: the open face creates a ton of lift. Much different than a low iron you'd use for distance. Same thing for hockey just on a smaller scale. For more info check out this guide on blade patterns. Also +1 to what stick9 said: try a lower follow through

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

im a pretty good golfer, so i realized the similarities between the open toe vs. pitching wedge thing. i was just wondering if a more closed blade would affect other things, or if it was exactly what im looking for.

i used to be a very good hockey player, but had to take time off due to injuries, etc. now that im back into it ive had to start picking my sticks and blades from scratch, since i cant really remember the curves i used to use (plus they didnt have any 1 piece sticks for acceptable prices back then!lol)

i fixed up my easton with the iginla blade. now that its stiffer, hopefully ill have more luck than i had with it prior to cutting it down! then maybe i could put the other stick on the sidelines for a while.