HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

12th forward, 7th D-man, and Playoff Roster.

View Poll Results: Who should fill the last roster spot?
Couture 6 10.91%
Demers (7 d-men) 16 29.09%
Ferrerio 2 3.64%
Hemmelin 2 3.64%
McLaren 5 9.09%
Staubitz 14 25.45%
Trade 8 14.55%
Other 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2010, 11:51 AM
matt trick

vCash: 500
12th forward, 7th D-man, and Playoff Roster.

First off apologies to the mods, if you feel this belongs in the 20 game left thread.

With the acquisition of Wallin and the trade of Shelly, the team is pretty well set. I would say McGinn will likely have a full time (read as: up for all games, down for days in between), but that is speculation on my part. With these two earning what will likely be full time spots, and 17 other players likely have spots locked down, how will the Sharks finalize the last spot in the roster.

I think it is safe to say, that the following players are pretty well likely members of the playoff roster, assuming Doug sticks with his "additions without subtractions policy."

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Malhorta/Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Malhorta/Clowe-Nichol-Ortmeyer
McGinn-Mitchell-x

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Blake
Wallin-Huskins

So the question becomes which of the following players takes the x spot come playoffs.

Staubitz- most experienced
McLaren- can hold his own with most heavweights without taking
Ferrerio- most offensive of the bunch, adds speed that could fit well on any line.
Vesce- Lacks experience and size, but has great heart and he showed a bit of chemistry with the top line (should Marleau need to be dropped to another line).
Couture- virtually no experience but damn he is good. Also injured.
Acquisition- specify (please note: cap space is minimal, Nolan or similar isn't possible without a major piece or both Huskins and Mitchell being traded).
7 d-men- Jason Demers brings more offense than any d-man save Boyle. It may be worth while to keep him on the roster for extra offense and power play time. The RW 4th line shifts could easily be split between the top 9 forwards.
McGinn-Mitchell-Setoguchi/Malhorta/Marleau/Ortmeyer/Nichol is a fast 4th line that would destroy just about anyone's 4th, except the possibility of Chicago. And as all of our LW's are capable of playing RW and Mitchell can play center, any three that work would be just fine.

Last edited by matt trick: 02-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.
matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
one2gamble

The woosta guys should stay there until their playoffs are over

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:19 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

easily Staubitz. Gotta have someone there who can throw a punch if needed.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
fr4ed2384

You forgot Leach .. who is the 7th dman (playing the 6th with Vlasic is out).

And-- your roster is only 19 players including goalies ..The minimum roster, by the CBA contract, during the season is 21 therefore your 2 short of the minimum .-- I expect Leach and Staubitz make up the last 20 game minimum roster ..
and although (as you suggested) a player(s) could be double-shifted,--

IMO ,
I think the schedule and planning for the playoff run dictate the Sharks will carry 13 forwards (a 2nd forward added as a backup, my guess McLaren) -- to make a 22 man roster. Otherwise ejections/suspensions, day-to day injuries, wear and tear will cause a tiredness factor going into the playoffs.

for the playoffs --since there is no CAP impact -- ..your 4 players short of a 23 man roster ..so you need 1 or 2 more players ..( and the Sharks can bring up other players the Sharks would want to on a non roster basis.) ..

Last edited by fr4ed2384: 02-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.
fr4ed2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:43 PM
freddypuck

Demers and McGinn have to be there ....

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4ed2384 View Post
You forgot Leach .. who is the 7th dman (playing the 6th with Vlasic is out).

And-- your roster is only 19 players including goalies ..The minimum roster, by the CBA contract, during the season is 21 therefore your 2 short of the minimum .-- I expect Leach and Staubitz make up the last 20 game minimum roster ..
and although (as you suggested) a player(s) could be double-shifted,--

IMO ,
I think the schedule and planning for the playoff run dictate the Sharks will carry 13 forwards (a 2nd forward added as a backup, my guess McLaren) -- to make a 22 man roster. Otherwise ejections/suspensions, day-to day injuries, wear and tear will cause a tiredness factor going into the playoffs.

for the playoffs --since there is no CAP impact -- ..your 4 players short of a 23 man roster ..so you need 1 or 2 more players ..( and the Sharks can bring up other players the Sharks would want to on a non roster basis.) ..
Of course; I am talking about 20th player (they will likely carry several of these guys come playoff time). I think the above 19 are all but locks, I want to know who everyone has as their last spot. In essence, I want to know who everyone would like for their starting roster come playoff time, assuming no injuries.

Old
02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
ABYSS16

Vesce.

ABYSS16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Lebanezer

I voted for Staubitz because the team needs a *********.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
halfeze13

demers definitely. there is diminishing need for enforcers in the playoffs. that roster spot should go to someone who can actually contribute on ice. demers would be perfect to have for an offensive boost when needed or on the pp.

that is unless dw makes a trade. which i think he still will

halfeze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctord View Post
Demers and McGinn have to be there ....
Totally agree. As well, minus one from the current roster and add one replacement acquisition.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

1st off, Leach is the 7th Dman.

2nd, why the vote for Staubitz? We can't determine we'd need him on the roster.

I know its just speculation, but it really just depends on how the playoffs turns out. We're not there yet, so we don't have a good idea at all.

If we're having a series with a team who are gooning it up, then yeah, Staubitz could have a purpose. But if not, I'd rather they call up McGinn, Couture, even McLaren over Staubitz. They actually have more useful skills and/or can actually drop the gloves with the big boys. Infact, I remember earlier this year Staubitz running away from some Coyote and Jody had to step in and fight FOR HIM.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
matt trick

I agree that Leach is our 7th right this moment, but I say that because of price. We have four d-men who are primarily defensive (Vlasic, Murray, Huskins, and Wallin), one who is equal both ways (Blake) and Boyle as our lone offensive force. Demers offers a more needed skill set than Leach, as he is also an offensive threat. I am saying if the team were to carry 7 d-men and 11 forwards instead of 6 and 12 forwards on the game roster (not including scratches) Demers would have a clear edge. However, I admit that I should have included Leach as an option.

Old
02-15-2010, 05:40 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

the 7th D is Leach. Here's what I think we'll see in the playoffs. Not exact lines but players in general while the WoSharks are still playing.

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
McGinn/Deadline Deal Player-Mitchell-Staubitz
McLaren (I don't thing he'll be missed with the WoSharks)

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Blake
Wallin-Huskins
Leach

If the WoSharks season ends and the NHL Sharks are still going we'll see about half a dozen callups. I really think we won't see much of the WShuttle during the playoffs as the WoSharks are a really good team and mgt will want all mid range to high end prospects to have a chance to win a championship at the AHL level.

I'm not convinced that McGinn is going to get much ice time in the playoffs and i think there is better than a even chance we'll make a deal for a depth forward/vet. player.

All this can change if there are injuries.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I'm not convinced that McGinn is going to get much ice time in the playoffs and i think there is better than a even chance we'll make a deal for a depth forward/vet. player.

All this can change if there are injuries.
Yes, the Sharks need to go out and get a veteran two-way forward that can provide some scoring pop to the 2nd line.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:02 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Yes, the Sharks need to go out and get a veteran two-way forward that can provide some scoring pop to the 2nd line.
I look at this as a good 2 way vet player with cup experience that's good on the forecheck, can play with sand paper and perhaps chip in an odd goal here and there. This is a player that rarely turns the puck over/low risk game and is for the
3rd line not 2nd. Kind of like Wallin but as a forward.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Tealblood

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
McGinn-Mitchell-Mclaren

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Blake
Wallin-Huskins

extras: 7th dman=demers, maybe bring in ferriero if mclaren doesn't work out.

But I really liked mclaren when he was up here, like I've said in several threads. He doesn't take hardly any lazy penalties but can keep the dirty players in check and I even liked when he stepped into a top 6 role and scored a goal.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Until the regular season is over, we'll have our top nine as usual with Mitchell and Staubitz in there with that 12th spot being the Worcester call-up which won't necessarily be Jamie McGinn all the time. The 7 d-men will be set and will be unchanged even in the playoffs until Worcester's playoffs are over or unless the team gets some injury problems up front or at least two injuries on the back end. Which means, no Jason Demers unless circumstances require him to be used.

I'm expecting DW to make at least one forward acquisition. It would seem like a difficult thing to do but with Shelley gone and Leach as the 20th guy between now and their next game on the 2nd of March, they'll have cap space to pick up a guy that makes roughly 1.5 mil this season. Guys like Wayne Primeau, Stephane Yelle, Mike Comrie, Jon Sim, and Richard Park are all guys that could be useful and fit into such a scenario. Personally, I would prefer Richard Park over all those guys and either Primeau or Yelle as an alternative. From what I know, which could very well be misinformed, DW tries to give the AHL team every player they can for their run and I think he's setting up to keep McGinn and Demers down there for that and I bet he's had it in his head to improve his 4th line for the playoffs and didn't see Shelley as a part of that.

A bottom six of Mitchell-Malhotra-Park and Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer or really any combination of those six will be pretty good for the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Until the regular season is over, we'll have our top nine as usual with Mitchell and Staubitz in there with that 12th spot being the Worcester call-up which won't necessarily be Jamie McGinn all the time. The 7 d-men will be set and will be unchanged even in the playoffs until Worcester's playoffs are over or unless the team gets some injury problems up front or at least two injuries on the back end. Which means, no Jason Demers unless circumstances require him to be used.

I'm expecting DW to make at least one forward acquisition. It would seem like a difficult thing to do but with Shelley gone and Leach as the 20th guy between now and their next game on the 2nd of March, they'll have cap space to pick up a guy that makes roughly 1.5 mil this season. Guys like Wayne Primeau, Stephane Yelle, Mike Comrie, Jon Sim, and Richard Park are all guys that could be useful and fit into such a scenario. Personally, I would prefer Richard Park over all those guys and either Primeau or Yelle as an alternative. From what I know, which could very well be misinformed, DW tries to give the AHL team every player they can for their run and I think he's setting up to keep McGinn and Demers down there for that and I bet he's had it in his head to improve his 4th line for the playoffs and didn't see Shelley as a part of that.

A bottom six of Mitchell-Malhotra-Park and Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer or really any combination of those six will be pretty good for the playoffs.

I think thats pretty much spot on, even though I wouldnt mind Demers being in the lineup

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:07 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post

I really like the Primeau idea. That`s one whom will really solidify the toughness on our 3rd line for sure.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I think thats pretty much spot on, even though I wouldnt mind Demers being in the lineup
I wouldn't either but I think DW and TMac do otherwise they wouldn't have gone out to get Wallin and I can't really blame them. He's not reliable defensively just yet and in the playoffs you can't have any of your blue liners be defensive liabilities. I know people will bring up Rob Blake or Kent Huskins or should bring up Douglas Murray but he's off limits to criticism but they're all far more reliable than Demers who tends to get shot when he skates back defensively. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
sjshrky27

I like Demers, But IMO a rookie isnt going to help this team get into a SC run. Put the chips in for a solid proven D guy for the playoffs, and save Demers for back-up/injury reserve, and start him next season.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

I could only see Demers in as a 7th Blue liner, and then used mostly for the power play. I agree that he's a defensive liability if he's in for too many minutes.

I really like the idea of picking up Park.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
I could only see Demers in as a 7th Blue liner, and then used mostly for the power play. I agree that he's a defensive liability if he's in for too many minutes.

I really like the idea of picking up Park.
yeah I wouldn't put him as anything other than 7th for pp.

We don't need leach as 7th, simply because we've already got plenty of defensive dmen, but after losing ehrhoff we can always use offense on the powerplay.

I don't think demer's rookie factor is that huge considering he's going to be in such a limited role plus he's been playing plenty of games this season to prepare.

As for staubitz...we don't need him. If we want an enforcer type of guy I'd much rather have mclaren. Mclaren can actually handle heavyweights, staubitz can not. Staubitz also still has tons of dumb penalties. Can't have dumb penalties in the playoffs...Mclaren does not do many dumb penalties.

and if we don't need mclaren's enforcer role, ferreiro is another person people aren't mentioning as much as they should. Mcginn-Mitchell-Ferrerio would be a great 4th line if we're facing a chicago/detroit/other offensive type of team.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:46 PM
sjshrky27

[QUOTE=GuitarByte;23931875] As for staubitz...we don't need him. If we want an enforcer type of guy I'd much rather have mclaren. Mclaren can actually handle heavyweights, staubitz can not. Staubitz also still has tons of dumb penalties. Can't have dumb penalties in the playoffs...Mclaren does not do many dumb penalties. QUOTE]

I have to disagree with you. Staubitz plays a better enforcer because thats his job. He also plays a gritty game. Demers cannot be an enforcer because of his D position, the Sharks cannot afford him as an enforcer. You put Demers in the box, now your down a D player.

Have you ever noticed almost all enforcers are forwards??? (Shelley, Parros, Orr, etc...)
Lets look at Murray for example: Murray dose not fight anymore. Murray only fought because he was trying to earn a starting spot on the roster. When was the last time he fought?

Last edited by sjshrky27: 02-15-2010 at 09:03 PM.
sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I have to disagree with you. Staubitz plays a better enforcer because thats his job. He also plays a gritty game. McLaren cannot be an enforcer because of his D position, the Sharks cannot afford him as an enforcer. You put Demers in the box, now your down a D player.

Have you ever noticed almost all enforcers are forwards??? (Shelley, Parros, Orr, etc...)
Lets look at Murray for example: Murray dose not fight anymore. Murray only fought because he was trying to earn a starting spot on the roster. When was the last time he fought?
McLaren is a D man? We aren't talking Kyle here

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote