HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your "I Hate the Ref" Moments

Old
01-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Harrison Ford

vCash: 500
Last night I went to my friends hockey game. 6-5 with 20 seconds left in the game, he gets a breakaway...

...ref calls him offsides. Let's just say there were 4 more kids in the box for our team by the time play resumed.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I remember seeing in the rules where it states that you can give a player a game so you can make the opposing player feel better when no real penalty is involved. Happens all the time.
You know, sometimes in the World Juniors there is penalty's because of the impact. Its a clean bit but since its a big hit into the boards with tons of impact and a big boom they give the penalty.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
That is an absolutely atrocious call.

Here's mine:

Up 2-0 with about 3 mins left in juniors. Attacker came in 1-on-1 and fired a slapshot from just inside the blue line. Butterfly save, puck underneath my left knee (pinned, but 3/4 of the puck still visible and uncovered) in the middle of my crease. Guy blows past my defenseman untouched trying to get the rebound as I cover it with my stick against my leg pad. In full stride, he barrels into me, knee into my head, driving both of us into the goal. My head and neck slammed into the padded bar in the middle of the net as the force of the impact knocked all of us clear to the end boards. I laid down for about 5 minutes trying to regain my senses and waiting for the headache to subside a bit. Finally I started feeling better and got back into my crease and put the net back in place.

Was still trying to shake off a little bit of the cobwebs when I noticed that not only were we not on a power play, they were dropping the puck at center ice AND the score was now 2-1. I was livid!

I skated halfway to center ice demanding to know why it was a goal. They said the puck crossed the line and so it counted. I reminded them it went in because he interfered with me and basically checked me into the goal. They said it didn't matter. I dropped a few f-bombs, skated over to my team's center, pointed at the other team's goalie and ordered him to run the other team's goalie because the ref now says it's perfectly legal which led to some further heated arguing between me and the ref.

Game ended in a 2-1 victory without further incident on the ice and I didn't have to make any more saves (thankfully), but not without a bunch more obscenities thrown at the ref. Ended up following the guy into the parking lot, stick in hand, and had to be physically restrained by teammates. Not my finest moment and I regret my post-game behavior, but my head and neck were throbbing and I just complete lost it over the fact they allowed that clearly dangerous play to count.
And you say I'm the angry player on our team

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
You know, sometimes in the World Juniors there is penalty's because of the impact. Its a clean bit but since its a big hit into the boards with tons of impact and a big boom they give the penalty.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes it all right.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:13 PM
backhander

Don't be such haters

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Keep telling yourself that if it makes it all right.
Clearly you don't watch the WJC, but whatever. No point arguing with you. If you didn't like my post you didn't have to respond.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:53 AM
DevsFan84

A little off topic, but I am ashamed to admit that one of my more satisfying moments in life was the day after my adult league team lost a playoff game because of a BS call (net was knocked off after the puck was already in, called no goal) the ref that waved it off comes in to my shop to get his skates sharpened.

I swear, the cross grinder and goalie wheel was invented for this sort of thing.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
A little off topic, but I am ashamed to admit that one of my more satisfying moments in life was the day after my adult league team lost a playoff game because of a BS call (net was knocked off after the puck was already in, called no goal) the ref that waved it off comes in to my shop to get his skates sharpened.

I swear, the cross grinder and goalie wheel was invented for this sort of thing.
Poetic justice.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
SJGoalie32

Alright, one more.........College roller hockey, late 2nd period (about a min left). We're winning 7-2 against the top team in our division who'd spanked us earlier in the season. I made some saves, play went back down to the other end.

Opponent turns around and skates up to me in my crease as the play is now in the other zone. He takes his stick and slashes it up into my groin. Obviously the guy is trying to goad me into a fight, but I was the only goaltender (no backup) so I couldn't afford to take a game misconduct and get myself ejected. Besides, I wear two cups so everything was protected and it didn't hurt.

Frustrated that I'm not retaliating, he takes a couple more chops at my groin then starts to skate back into the play with his stick still lodged in the inseam of my hockey girdle. As he's pulling his stick, I'm rolling forward with it, sort of unable to stop without exposing myself to injury.

So there I am, after several slashes to the groin, being dragged out of my crease jock first.....so I turn to my right, look the ref dead in the eye literally about 20 feet away watching all of this, shrugged my shoulders and said, "Are you going to do anything?!"

He waved his hands in the wave-off motion, shook his head, and said, "Play on!"

Needless to say, that game eventually spiraled completely out of control and ended up being called 2 mins early on account of brawling......and I made sure the ref knew his role and lodged a formal complaint with the league about the official's conduct (not that it mattered, it never does).

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Alright, one more.........College roller hockey, late 2nd period (about a min left). We're winning 7-2 against the top team in our division who'd spanked us earlier in the season. I made some saves, play went back down to the other end.

Opponent turns around and skates up to me in my crease as the play is now in the other zone. He takes his stick and slashes it up into my groin. Obviously the guy is trying to goad me into a fight, but I was the only goaltender (no backup) so I couldn't afford to take a game misconduct and get myself ejected. Besides, I wear two cups so everything was protected and it didn't hurt.

Frustrated that I'm not retaliating, he takes a couple more chops at my groin then starts to skate back into the play with his stick still lodged in the inseam of my hockey girdle. As he's pulling his stick, I'm rolling forward with it, sort of unable to stop without exposing myself to injury.

So there I am, after several slashes to the groin, being dragged out of my crease jock first.....so I turn to my right, look the ref dead in the eye literally about 20 feet away watching all of this, shrugged my shoulders and said, "Are you going to do anything?!"

He waved his hands in the wave-off motion, shook his head, and said, "Play on!"

Needless to say, that game eventually spiraled completely out of control and ended up being called 2 mins early on account of brawling......and I made sure the ref knew his role and lodged a formal complaint with the league about the official's conduct (not that it mattered, it never does).

Wow man, EPIC refereeing...

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
RobertKron

5 min for elbowing 1:30 into the game, called when I was sitting on the bench, before I had taken a shift. Even if it was a wrong number, no player had been injured.

In a fit of being a complete idiot/teenager, I once threw a water bottle at a ref when I got back to the bench after I heard both his linesmen tell him the play was offside and that the goal shouldn't stand, and he told them "well I already signalled it a goal, so I'm going to count it anyway" during a playoff game.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:27 AM
nullterm

Today. Defenceman was coming in to play the puck on a guy rushing up along the boards. Caught an incidental elbow to the head (guy was a good 6 inches shorter) and was knocked out cold for a good 15 seconds on the ice.

Right in front of the bench, we're screaming for the ref to blow the whistle. Finally she comes over a gives the guy who got knocked out... I repeat... the guy who got knocked out... the guy crumpled up on the ice fast asleep... a penalty. For trying to play the puck and getting KOed for his troubles.

Everyone was a mix of baffled and angry with the ref.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:53 AM
sjmay*

LOL Sorry, I gotta laugh at some of these, I understand there are absolutely brutal refs out there, trust me, I work with some of them, but still, the majority of the time, the player simply doesn't understand the rule or the application of it,

Not saying anything in particular yet on this thread, but I had to give a guy a DOUBLE MATCH penalty, because he was arguing over a HAND PASS, he simply could not understand how it was legal in the defensive zone, but not in the neutral zone.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Stripes

Gatherings like this, where people get together to do nothing but hate on officials, is why officiating suffers at the amateur levels in every sport. Who the **** wants to do the job when they know the attitude towards them is seemingly automatic?

If you guys don't like the officiating you get in your leagues, get certified and start doing it yourself. See how YOU do.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:03 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Gatherings like this, where people get together to do nothing but hate on officials, is why officiating suffers at the amateur levels in every sport. Who the **** wants to do the job when they know the attitude towards them is seemingly automatic?

If you guys don't like the officiating you get in your leagues, get certified and start doing it yourself. See how YOU do.
Nice idea, NEVER gonna happen though lol.

Old
02-15-2010, 05:56 AM
SJGoalie32

Quote:

Two things:

1) I did that once. Spent about a year in high school as an inline ref. Also did some umpiring of girls LL softball. Hardest, most damn difficult jobs I've ever had. Gained a tremendous appreciation for the difficult job sports officials have to do.

Having said that though.....

2) I shouldn't have to be a full-time waiter in order to expect to have the drink I asked for brought to me, free of spittle. I shouldn't have to be a world class chef in order to get a prime rib that isn't burnt into a crispy hockey puck. The leagues/tournaments we pay to play in provide us with an officiating service....and if that service isn't up to snuff, it the right of the customers to complain, vent their frustrations, etc.

Yes, some of it goes too far. Hell, I freely admit that I've stepped over the line on more than one occasion. I've mellowed in my older post-pubesecent years, and so now I don't get as worked up as I used to over a phantom trip or a missed offside. But some of the stuff in this thread is just blatant incompetence and, in a sport like this, that sort of thing can lead to serious injury.

Any ref who has ever played or watched a day of hockey before in their lives knows and understands this dynamic. Some of my current teammates/friends are refs. Oddly enough, they are the HARSHEST critics of the other refs. Oh sure, they are far more forgiving of a missed hockey play, but they are often the most outspoken (privately and on the ice) about poor calls involving player safety and game control because they know what should and shouldn't be acceptable.....even for an amateur ref. And when they ref, they often know when they deserve to take some grief, too.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:03 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Two things:

1) I did that once. Spent about a year in high school as an inline ref. Also did some umpiring of girls LL softball. Hardest, most damn difficult jobs I've ever had. Gained a tremendous appreciation for the difficult job sports officials have to do.

2) I shouldn't have to be a full-time waiter in order to expect to have the drink I asked for brought to me, free of spittle. I shouldn't have to be a world class chef in order to get a prime rib that isn't burnt into a crispy hockey puck. The leagues/tournaments we pay to play in provide us with an officiating service....and if that service isn't up to snuff, it the right of the customers to complain, vent their frustrations, etc.

Yes, some of it goes too far. Hell, I freely admit that I've stepped over the line on more than one occasion. I've mellowed in my older post-pubesecent years, and so now I don't get as worked up as I used to over a phantom trip or a missed offside. But some of the stuff in this thread is just blatant incompetence and, in a sport like this, that sort of thing can lead to serious injury.

Any ref who has ever played or watched a day of hockey before in their lives knows and understands this dynamic. Some of my current teammates/friends are refs. Oddly enough, they are the HARSHEST critics of the other refs. Oh sure, they are far more forgiving of a missed hockey play, but they are often the most outspoken (privately and on the ice) about poor calls involving player safety and game control because they know what should and shouldn't be acceptable.....even for an amateur ref. And when they ref, they often know when they deserve to take some grief, too.
I agree, the problem with this thread though, is how much of it truly happened the way they described it?

Granted there are guys who shouldn't strap up, on either side of the whistle, but for the majority, players have an extreme bias. Case in point, one game, tie game, decent enough game for the level, two guys where hacking and whacking in front of the net, on the shins etc, I really didn't want to sit them for 4, as the league standard is 4 for a stick infraction, didn't want to do that, as it wouldn't have done anything, so I blew the whistle, waited for everyone to turn to me, yelled at the two players to follow me to the box, got there, told them to knock the BS off or I was gonna call them, acted like I changed my mind, and we took the faceoff, both said thanks, no other problems from them until completely after the game after one team broke it wide open, the guy comes to me and starts yelling about that incident and asking me why I didn't call the penalties and then telling me my answer instead of waiting for it. I simply left the ice and refused to talk to him, but if he had such a problem with it, why wait several minutes at the end of the game, when a simple, "Ref, call it if you have to call it, I don't like the non calls, if we deserve it, call it" type of statement would have been fine at the time. (I still wouldn't have called it BTW, I just wanted to settle things down before they escalated between the two)

Old
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the refs in my league clearly want to get the game over as fast as they can. they call off icings for any reason, or no reason at all. they games start real late so i can see why they would want to get it done with but thats no excuse.

we had so many blatant icings called off last game

the worst calls were the delayed penalties. we finally got a call in our favor and on teh delayed penalty my teammate skated teh puck across the blue line along the boards and was almost rubbed out by a guy on the opposing team but my teammate had more possession of the puck than the other guy who didnt even come close to touching the puck but the refs blew the whistle

i wasnt so upset about that as much cause i can kind of see how if the ref had a bad angle it may be hard to tell, but then the face off was in the neutral zone. and im like "face off in the zone" im not sure if our league does face offs in the offensive zone after a penalty but the puck was across the blue line after he blew the whistle so regardless it should have been in the zone. i think he said i was offside or something which was just a cop out because i didnt really even enter the zone until the whislte had already blew.

so, on THAT pp im on the rw half boards just playing catch with my defenseman. im doing a little board work shaking a defending forward. i pass the puck to my defenseman who goes d-d and when my other defenseman receives the pass, with no one even close to him, the ref blows teh whistle. im like "o great we got an offensive zone penalty on the pp when the puck wasnt even being battled for"

so i look and my teammate in front of the net thought he got called for something and hes looking around. i skate up to him and ask him what he did and he wasnt sure. but of course the other team got a penalty and the refs blew the whistle again when we had possession of the puck but this time it wasnt even close. they hadnt had the puck all pp and my defenseman just received it form a pass from the other defenseman

this time though the faceoff WAS in the zone. we won the draw, me lined up at the top of the left face off circle got the puck off the draw, passed it to the right side defenseman, he passed it to the left side defenseman who shot a nice low shot that was tipped in through the five hole by the center man

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Mine's more of a running joke; there's a guy on our team, we'll call him Joe. Joe is a pretty nice guy - you can tell he's a guy you really wouldn't want to tick off, but he treats everybody nicely and is also pretty good on the ice.

There's a referee who apparently has been officiating all kinds of sports here in town for years, so his relationship with Joe would go back quite a ways.

Anyway, when Joe's at the game and this ref is there, we call it "guranteed penalty night". Because I kid you not, Joe can be at the other end of the ice and will get a penalty for something. We joke that he should just start the game in the penalty box and get it over with. This guy just has it out for him, it's hilarious.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Gino 14

Quote:

It's far easier to stay ignorant of the rules and critical of the officiating than it is to actually take steps to remedy the situation.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:20 PM
IniNew

I've found that we get more calls our way when our team jokes with the Refs before, and during the game. It lightens the mood and makes them less whistle happy. The most important thing though is to just skate off after a call. I can't believe how forgiving refs are if you just do what they ask the first time.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Two things:

Officiating is not the same as being a waiter (or other jobs where you are trained before you start serving customers). Officiating is something that you just don't understand what the job entails unless you do it yourself. At the amateur level, the only training before an official hits the ice for games, is a few hours in a classroom. Games are our practices. That's reality.

There is no incompetence of officiating that leads to injuries of players. Officials don't control players, they simply apply the rules. In minor hockey, players actions fall under the responsibility of the coaches (yes, that is in the rulebook). In the beer leagues, you are all adults. If you cannot control yourselves because a referee didn't call this and didn't call that, then you have problems that go beyond not liking a referee.

Old
02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
nullterm

Quote:

I've had some excellently reffed games. I think this thread is about those few (hopefully) instances where things go sideways.

Nothing better than a fun league game where the refs call a great game and both teams keep it competitive but fun. I've probably had more positive experiences than negative. Some refs are great because they know how to keep things fun and under control. Even more better when you can exchange friendly banter and jokes from the bench.

The best I find is when they come over and give all us newbie beer leaguers playing advice, to which I usually respond with a smile and "Thanks coach!" They get chuckle outta that.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:

There is no incompetence of officiating that leads to injuries of players. Officials don't control players, they simply apply the rules.
I agree with your post except this part. Refs can definitely cause injuries to happen indirectly, and I've seen it. If team A is cheapshotting team B all game long, and the refs aren't calling it like they should, Team A is still gonna take runs at a team all game long.

A few years back we were at a tournament in Chandler, Arizona where refs barely call anything. We play a team from our league that's known for cheapness in one of the games. They run us all game, slash, hit us from behind, etc. Heck, I got tackled and there was no penalty(I'm a goalie, and the ref made a joke reason to not call it. He said e got pushed into me, when he was the only guy on that side of the ice and was going full speed the whole time). In the third our guy is in the corner, facing the boards. Other teams guy comes full speed at him and decks him into the boards. Shouldve been a major at least. Got a minor and our guy is concussed. Can you realy say that's not the refs fault?

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
I agree with your post except this part. Refs can definitely cause injuries to happen indirectly, and I've seen it. If team A is cheapshotting team B all game long, and the refs aren't calling it like they should, Team A is still gonna take runs at a team all game long.

A few years back we were at a tournament in Chandler, Arizona where refs barely call anything. We play a team from our league that's known for cheapness in one of the games. They run us all game, slash, hit us from behind, etc. Heck, I got tackled and there was no penalty(I'm a goalie, and the ref made a joke reason to not call it. He said e got pushed into me, when he was the only guy on that side of the ice and was going full speed the whole time). In the third our guy is in the corner, facing the boards. Other teams guy comes full speed at him and decks him into the boards. Shouldve been a major at least. Got a minor and our guy is concussed. Can you realy say that's not the refs fault?
So the referee calling a major instead of a minor would have taken away the concussion? Do our red armbands have some magical power that prevents an injury if we penalize the action appropriately?

In your situation, because of the injury, you can say that you should have had a 5-minute powerplay instead of a 2-minute powerplay, but you cannot say that the injury is the referee's fault.

I had a situation in a Bantam AAA game last year, where a player was checked into the boards from behind and was injured. Ambulance ride and everything. I gave the player who hit him a Match Penalty. That gets you kicked out of the game and a guaranteed suspension. As the player was being treated, his mother came to our side of the rink at the timekeeper's box and bashed on the glass yelling god knows what. I ignored it. After the game, AND after I showered, she was waiting for me in the hallway. I cut her off after a few words and said, "I know you're upset because your kid is in the hospital, but did I hit your son? You embarrassed me on the ice and you are making a scene right here because I did my job." She staggered herself back into reality and apologized. I cannot prevent injuries with penalties.

I've also had a lot of games where one team is playing dirty (sometimes both teams are playing dirty) and dangerous, and no amount of penalties I call can do anything about it. The suggestion that a referee loses control if he doesn't call enough penalties is a myth more often than not.

I don't understand the mentality that so many players, coaches and parents have that the players (and coaches in minor hockey) are less responsible for their own actions than the referee. It doesn't make any sense.