HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Equipment Fitting Questions

Old
02-16-2010, 09:24 AM
ChiTownHawks

vCash: 500
Equipment Fitting Questions

Hey Guys,
As a lot of people seem to be doing lately I am just getting into organized ice hockey. I play both ball hockey in a league and ice hockey for fun on the weekends with my buddies, but this spring will be the first time I suit up and start my adult ice hockey classes. I went to my LHS and tried on a bunch of stuff and asked some questions to find out sizes I would need, by the way I am 5'9 175lbs. I then went online to find the stuff I needed at a discount. Anyways I got some of the stuff yesterday and I tried it on for the first time and I wanted to get some opinions from you guys on the fit and if the way things feel are normal. Thanks in advance as you guys have helped in the past and I know you will have some good info.

Hockey Pants: The pants I bought were CCM Vector 08's. It is probably a little more protection then I need but I got a great deal on them so I went for it. The pants are a littel sung but they do fit and I read on here that should stretch out a bit. Also the pants seem a little bulky and my current jerseys wont fit over them. Is this commonplace. Should the jersey I wear for ice be that much bigger then my normal jersey to fit over my pants?

Shin Pads: I am pretty sure I got the right size on these since the guy at the LHS told me to get 14s. They go over my knee and right down to the tounge on my skate. To me the feel loose on the knee but I am guessing that is what the tape is for. My question on these is should the top tab on the shin pad go under my pants? It is right on the edge where if I am standing straight they are under and if I bend my knees they are over. There are also little loops on the top, do they do something?

Hockey Socks & Jock Shorts with Velcro: Basically what is the proper way to put these on and should I be using tape along with the velcro at the top?

Thanks again in advance guys I appreciate the help. I just want to make sure I made the right purchases so far b/c as well all know hockey is expensive and I dont want to have to buy again right away b/c something is wrong. Basically everything feels akward to me at this point and I want to make sure that will go away with time.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
IniNew

vCash: 500
For the pants, I wore the V06 for a long while, and it is a snug pant. I liked the fit myself (so much that I even went snugger with a girlde/shell combo.) They wont really stretch much as more-so break in. They will feel looser the more you use them.

Shin-pads are an interesting beast. Everyone wears them a different way (very surprising for something that looks so simple). I like mine over the tongues of my skates and very tight on my leg. This means a slightly longer shin-pad and lots of tape. A buddy of mine puts his tongue out so that his shins sit on top of his tongues. He uses a smaller pad because of this. As far as where they go with your pants, that again is all personal preference. If it doesn't bother you that they go under your pants then it sounds like they fit fine to me!

Velcro jocks and socks: My order of putting him all is always the same. Jock -> Socks -> Skates -> Shins -> then I pull the socks up and velcro them down. The velcro is enough to hold my socks up with no issues, but I do use tape to keep my shinpads tight to my legs.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote