HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT:Breaking in New Skates

Old
02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
edmonton_ice

vCash: 500
OT:Breaking in New Skates

I recently purchased new skates from United Cycle and I am trying to break them. I went to free public skating today and most likely I will tomorrow. Is there any other tricks and methods to breaking in new skates ?

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Wear them in the house, driving your car, at work etc....

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Timo

Skates really shouldnt 'Break in'

Although they do get softer with time, the sure fire method of finding comfortable skates is to try 20 pairs and find the perfect fit in length and width for you.

I also recommend Superfeet. They are an insole that retails for $39.99, but they are worth every penny.

Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
awesomo
HARD!

if you bought them at UC shouldnt they have done a sweat mold for you?

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

I went skating for the first time in a few years today using a pair that are a few years old and are pretty much new, and my feet hurt, like a lot. I wear work boots for 12 hours a day and have never experianced foot pain like that.

Any hints on molding or breaking in skates would be great.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM
edmonton_ice

Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
if you bought them at UC shouldnt they have done a sweat mold for you?
Yes they did do the sweat mold but they have stiffen up since I bought them on saturday. I expierenced some mild discomfort and a little blister when I went skating.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:03 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
Yes they did do the sweat mold but they have stiffen up since I bought them on saturday. I expierenced some mild discomfort and a little blister when I went skating.
keep skating on them, do some stops and starts some turns. Make it so you do your own personal sweat mold (basically by doing a little sweating in your skates)...

also

work a little harder haha

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:49 AM
cparkq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
They definitely do need some break in time, but really depends on the skate. The skate is off the shelf to meet a general type of foot, of course its going to need to settle and form to your foot. My one95's needed some heat molding and about 5 skates, but one95's are probably one of the worst to break in. If your getting into some entry level skates they'll be a lot softer from the get go.

cparkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:59 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Superfeet insoles as previously mentioned. Speaking of which, I might need a new pair as mine are pretty worn down after a few years.

I found a pair of synthetic fiber hiking socks helped alot too. Help avoid blisters because they keep your feet dry and reduces friction (wet feet + friction -> blisters). And offers some cushion as far as padding goes too. I have a pair of these and they've lasted 2 years of playing 2/3 times a week including summer, plus day use and hiking for a few years before that.

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produc...ctedstyle=2450

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post

Although they do get softer with time, the sure fire method of finding comfortable skates is to try 20 pairs and find the perfect fit in length and width for you.

I also recommend Superfeet. They are an insole that retails for $39.99, but they are worth every penny.
While I don't agree that skates shouldn't "break in", Superfeet are a great skate insole.

Just keep wearing them go for some more free skates and make sure you get a good heal lock when you tie them up, that should help with the blisters.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
While I don't agree that skates shouldn't "break in", Superfeet are a great skate insole.

Just keep wearing them go for some more free skates and make sure you get a good heal lock when you tie them up, that should help with the blisters.
I think the heal lock is critical everytime you lace up your boots...but its especially important when the skate is still a virgin.

She will want to resist you...but you must get your foot buried into the back of the boot. This is the most generic part of the skate, so, the first few sessions are when your going to be 'coding' the skate to your personal pattern and if your consistent with how you set in & lace up, your break-in time can be painless.

Another thing you can take note of is lace length. I use a 108" lace normally...but I've had to use the ultra-long lace a few times to start the skate off....because there is sometimes less slack to pull on a new boot but you NEED that slack to get your top eyelets taut.

It can be tricky to find the right socks to use. I sometimes go commando when the skate was new.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
I recently purchased new skates from United Cycle and I am trying to break them. I went to free public skating today and most likely I will tomorrow. Is there any other tricks and methods to breaking in new skates ?
(1) what brand of skates?
(2) what have you done so far?

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I found a pair of synthetic fiber hiking socks helped alot too. Help avoid blisters because they keep your feet dry and reduces friction (wet feet + friction -> blisters).
Absolutely. I sweat a lot, maybe not as much as Khabibulin, but cotton is absolutely the wrong fabric for use in skates. I have used the hiking socks and just about any of them in that typical 11-15 dollar price point seem good, but I've found even the thin Addidas or Nike wicking ankle socks work as well and fit nicely within the boot.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I find the biggest problem is that my foot has to get use to the skate and the movement myself. I have the same problem with my roller blades. If I don't skate every year it hurts for the first 4 or 5 skates.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote