HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Eric Staal named new Canes Captain

Old
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Reaction:

Paul Maurice: http://carhur.com/498
Eric Staal: http://carhur.com/499
Rod Brind'Amour: http://carhur.com/500

01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
caniac247

Listening to Rod's meet w/ the press. These 2 things stand out, regarding Staal:

Quote:
Everyone knows what kind of player he is, I know what kind of person he is
Quote:
Its an honor for me to hand it over to him whether it was now or later, it needed to be done. I'm happy for him, it will be more than just a letter to him

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think this is a really class move by Brind'Asaur... We pick on him now, but that man has really meant everything to this franchise over the past 8 years...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
WalkerBabe

Thank you, Captain Brind 'Amour ... we appreciate all that you've done for the 'Canes, and in such a classy way. I don't think there'll be an empty seat or many dry eyes when #17 is retired.

Hail to the new Captain Staal ... we know you'll do a GREAT job!

Last edited by WalkerBabe: 01-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.
WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
This is so sad. I always hate to see great players go out like this but it's even worse as Brindy is my favorite player all-time. What terrible luck. He deserved better.

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
orignl6

with the team getting closer to being somewhat healthy, they should perform significantly better from here on out. and i am sure staal will get the credit for the better play during the 2nd half of the season.

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by orignl6 View Post
with the team getting closer to being somewhat healthy, they should perform significantly better from here on out. and i am sure staal will get the credit for the better play during the 2nd half of the season.
I wouldn't go that far. Sadly the Rats callups have been right on par with the Canes this season, if not better.

If Staal gets the credit for any kind of improvement that shouldn't be the case unless he finds his 05-06 form again. Not saying he won't get the credit, just that he shouldn't.

Thanks for all you've given this franchise Rod. I know this has to be hard for you, as have the past 2 seasons, but what you've done for this franchise can never be duplicated. I'll be there when your number is retired even if I do move to Canada this coming summer, and I guarantee that the ovation will absolutely tremendous.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Brindy did the only thing he could do under the circumstances and that was to agree to the move.

He declines (regardless of his reasoning) and he's looked at as a selfish person looking out only for his own image.

He had to agree to the move. A classy response to a classless gesture.

Again, it was eventual, not arguing that, but they could/SHOULD have gone about it in a different way.
I don't think Brindy would have looked selfish at all if he declined, because I'm pretty sure in that case Rutherford would have kept his mouth shut and not even mention this to other players and media.

I don't think the gesture was classless, it was necessary. But you're right in that Brindy's response was a classy one.

Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

I'm so proud to read this again, and again, and again...

Quote:
Of everything Rod Brind’Amour has ever done for the Carolina Hurricanes, his willingness to turn the captaincy over to Eric Staal may be the most honorable.

Quote:
Originally uncomfortable here, he grew to embrace the market, and his decision to sign a long-term contract extension with the team in the fall of 2001 sent a message to the world of hockey that perhaps players might enjoy living in North Carolina after all.

Quote:
At three specific moments -- after falling behind 2-0 to the Montreal Canadiens in the first round and before each of the final two Game 7s -- Brind’Amour chose to speak and set the team on the right course.

Quote:
“He cares about people and cares about winning,” Rutherford said of Staal. “The thing that really confirmed how I feel about him was this whole exchange between him and Rod and the conversations they had to make sure both guys were alright with it. That to me is a leader.”

Quote:
Respect. Work ethic. Determination. Class. Character. They are qualities of the ultimate captain, something Brind’Amour will remain for this franchise forever.

Quote:
Having taken a personal leave of absence from the team for the funeral, it was unclear if Staal would return soon since Rutherford told his star forward to “take his time” and return when he was ready to perform. It would have been easier for Staal to remain in Canada and meet the club in Toronto for a road game, but he spent a full day traveling on connecting flights to get back to Raleigh for a night game against Ottawa. Staal scored in a 4-1 victory. With adjoining lockers, Brind’Amour likely turned to Staal after the victory and uttered the words “you’re ready.”

Quote:
It’s no accident Staal was placed next to Francis, and then Brind’Amour, squarely in the middle of the Canes locker room, since Carolina drafted him second overall in 2003. Could Staal have possibly learned from two better stewards of the game?

and some other quotes..

Quote:
Eric Staal’s leadership was on display as he was typically the first to greet every group to take a picture and he was the last to leave the ice during his session…even to the point of volunteering his autograph to a few people as he left the ice.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:56 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

It's going to be very weird seeing Brind'Amour without the C on his jersey. He'll always be one of my favorite players because of what he has meant to this franchise. It's a true show of leadership when you know you aren't playing your best and are willing to hand over the captaincy without issue

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

hate to say it, but this was a total surprise to me, and not in a good way.
everyone knows that brindy is a shell of his former self, but like has been said, if he said no to the move, it would have appeared as selfish.
regardless of what people here might think, the word that he turned it down would have leaked eventually, so he has no choice but to go along with it.
that being said, it's obvious that staal is our captain of the future and maybe the move will light a fire under his behind to give it his all, every night.
say what you will about brindy, but he certainly gave everything, all the time, something i think staal will have to look in the mirror and question about himself.
sure, it wasn't that great recently because of father time, but he should have been allowed to wear the 'c' for the rest of the year and then the move made in the offseason.
good luck at the helm of the failboat eric.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
All Hail the Chosen One, and Hail to the Warchief.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

http://twitter.com/mike_morreale

Quote:
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford just just told me that if Eric Staal wasn't 'C' of the team that Tim Gleason would be..thinks of him that highly! 9 minutes ago from web

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
caniac247

As soon as Whitney is traded, i'm going to the little Eye and having them slap an 'A' on my Gleason jersey.

Taking a wild guess, but when Brindy retires and if Whitney doesn't come back, whose the 2nd 'A'. Because of loyalty issues i'm going with Cole since he's wore an 'A' for us before.

Old
01-29-2010, 02:45 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
As soon as Whitney is traded, i'm going to the little Eye and having them slap an 'A' on my Gleason jersey.

Taking a wild guess, but when Brindy retires and if Whitney doesn't come back, whose the 2nd 'A'. Because of loyalty issues i'm going with Cole since he's wore an 'A' for us before.
Ruutu. He becomes leader in locker room.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:45 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:

I don't think we give it to Cole. He's worn it before as a substitute yes, but never long term, and he doesn't really deserve a long term A at this point.

I'm anticipating Sutter will get Whitney's A, but that does make more sense if the wizard comes back for another year.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I don't think we give it to Cole. He's worn it before as a substitute yes, but never long term, and he doesn't really deserve a long term A at this point.

I'm anticipating Sutter will get Whitney's A, but that does make more sense if the wizard comes back for another year.
Eventually. For right now I'd bet on Ruutu though. Give it about 2-3 more years with Sutter and it's his though.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Personally, the way they have talked about Tim, i would be shocked if the first vacated A doesnt go to Gleason. IMO he has all the characteristics of a team leader and Ive always prefered to see at least 1 of the captaincy positions be filled by someone on the backend, especially with young dmen coming up.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
caniac247

Gleason is for sure getting the first vacant 'A', I don't think that's even a question.

Next year when Brind'Amour retires (hopefully) and if Whitney doesn't come back, another 'A' opens. Will be interesting to see who gets it.

I always thought when Staal became Captain our alternates would be Gleason/Williams, but since we don't have Williams, wonder whose next on the list.

Old
02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
DoomMF

Eric Staal's numbers right now:

49 games, 20 goals, 30 assists, 50 points, 50 PIM, 10 PPG, 10 PPA, 199 SOG, .101 Shooting %.

If in the next game he takes 1 shot, and doesn't score his stats will be:

50, 20, 30, 50, 50, 10, 10, 200, .100 (that's a lot of zeroes)

Weird......sorry, kind of bored with no games going on.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Gleason is for sure getting the first vacant 'A', I don't think that's even a question.

Next year when Brind'Amour retires (hopefully) and if Whitney doesn't come back, another 'A' opens. Will be interesting to see who gets it.

I always thought when Staal became Captain our alternates would be Gleason/Williams, but since we don't have Williams, wonder whose next on the list.
I wouldn't mind seeing Kostopoulos get that chance to wear a letter. We usually like to have the balance as a star center, a defenseman, and a role player grinder. Kevyn Adams comes to mind. With Kostopoulos locked up long term and being the lunch pail type guy that he is, it wouldn't shock me.

Tuomo Ruutu is also an option, though I don't want to pressure him too much. I kind of want to leave the Finns alone and let them keep producing and not change a thing there.

Larose would have been a great option prior to this season. He just doesn't fit the ideology anymore. I have been thoroughly disappointed with him this season.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think Jussi would be a great A

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote