HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather will look to improve Rangers at deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
  #76
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's a ridiculous oversimplification of things.
Totally agree.

lol quite funny actually.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
  #77
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Dolan continues to line his pockets while this franchise heads towards another 54 year cup drought.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
  #78
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,202
vCash: 500
HUGE Speciman is the highlight of this thread!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
  #79
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I'm with you 100% there. I didn't start posting until all the negative stuff finally got to me, but I have to think this isn't reflective of the fanbase at large if that's any consolation.
You're probably right about that. The part of the majority of the fanbase sharing your opinion, that is. Unfortunately, that's one of the biggest problems. It's because so many of the fans just don't "get it" that the team continues to flounder. It's because of this irrational ignorance of fact, logic, and good old common sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Winning begets winning, losing begets losing.
...that this team will continue to be one of the most pathetic franchises in all of sports.

That's quite a line, by the way. Completely illogical, but amusing nonetheless.

It's the pigheaded, stubborn refusal to make any sacrifice, even as short as a year, that wastes decade after decade.

It's really alarming just how many people are unable to see the big picture, because this is something as simple as hockey. That's when you start to think, what else do these people not "get." Disturbing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
  #80
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
By your logic, Edmonton fans should be advocating that THEY buy too.

The job of management is to take off the fan glasses and make a realistic assessment of the team. You imply by your statement that you can understand why the Edmonton brass would be selling... yet you can't see why the Rangers who are currently 8th from the bottom should perhaps be looking at things the same way?

I can never root against my team when the game is going on, but when it comes to analyzing front office transactions, I have no problem taking a step back and making the call on this season - we can either fight a losing fight and MAYBE win a game or two in the playoffs OR we can sell off non-core assets to improve our chances on a REAL playoff run next year and the years thereafter.


Thank god someone else understands.. you people who want to buy to mortgage the future, im GLAD your not the gm. Seriously ud want to trade a 2nd rnd pick just to pick up a rental who wont help in the playoffs anyway?

we need to be selling off peices that dont fit, shedding salary, and building up our core, (young players and picks) to help with NEXT season and the FUTURE. The way this team is built now, we will not make any noise in the playoffs.. the ultimate goal is to win the cup, not make the playoffs.
Well said.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
  #81
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Dolan continues to line his pockets while this franchise heads towards another 54 year cup drought.
Dolan's pockets would be a lot more lined if the Rangers had a deep playoff run...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:07 PM
  #82
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Dolan's pockets would be a lot more lined if the Rangers had a deep playoff run...
Unfortunately, this franchise is unwilling to make the sacrifices that are necessary for that to happen.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
  #83
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
I have to admit, I was perfectly happy during the Jagr years. I was just happy to see playoff hockey again after years and years of terrible play. But I've become restless in the last 2 seasons. This is quite clearly an organization operating under no semblance of a longterm plan. The plan every season is to make the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, and to be buyers at the deadline in order to do so...then have FrankenSather rework half the roster in the offseason. Its just not going to work that way.

Not one person has given an intelligent answer on why we should hold on to Vinny Prospal besides "the guys got heart!" and "how will we make the playoffs without him?!" Who the hell cares? Its terrible, terrible asset management to hang on to the guy considering his age, his current contract, and the state of this team.

As long as the young core remains, which in my opinion at this point is Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan, and Del Zotto, then sell, sell, sell everything else for a better future...for a time when this team actually isnt cap****ed (god willing).

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:29 PM
  #84
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I have to admit, I was perfectly happy during the Jagr years. I was just happy to see playoff hockey again after years and years of terrible play. But I've become restless in the last 2 seasons. This is quite clearly an organization operating under no semblance of a longterm plan. The plan every season is to make the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, and to be buyers at the deadline in order to do so...then have FrankenSather rework half the roster in the offseason. Its just not going to work that way.

Not one person has given an intelligent answer on why we should hold on to Vinny Prospal besides "the guys got heart!" and "how will we make the playoffs without him?!" Who the hell cares? Its terrible, terrible asset management to hang on to the guy considering his age, his current contract, and the state of this team.

As long as the young core remains, which in my opinion at this point is Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan, and Del Zotto, then sell, sell, sell everything else for a better future...for a time when this team actually isnt cap****ed (god willing).
im holding out hope that they are going to stick to what they started last offseason

im sure im wrong, but lets see what happens

it would start by NOT trading away pics or prospects

and if we can get a 1st for Jokinen or Prospal then they should absolutley be traded...without a doubt

im also amungst a very small minority that feels they could still make the playoffs even without vinny or jokinen or girardi or all of them


Vinny's awesome, but dont kid yourselves, this team will live and die by Gaborik and Henrik alone

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:53 PM
  #85
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im holding out hope that they are going to stick to what they started last offseason

im sure im wrong, but lets see what happens

it would start by NOT trading away pics or prospects

and if we can get a 1st for Jokinen or Prospal then they should absolutley be traded...without a doubt

im also amungst a very small minority that feels they could still make the playoffs even without vinny or jokinen or girardi or all of them


Vinny's awesome, but dont kid yourselves, this team will live and die by Gaborik and Henrik alone
please everyone read what brb wrote in mullis response to him. he and i never agree on anything, so when i say hes right, believe it.

his is the best example of someone who gets it in this entire thread.

brb nailed it. period.

no need for any more discussion.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
  #86
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I can almost guarantee that Sather wont trade any of our top-flight prospects at the deadline. If you look at the last few years, he's given up nothing above mediocre (Cliche, Dawes, Prucha, Kalinin, Montoya, Hossa, Niemenen) when he trades at or around the deadline.
He did give away a 2nd for the Antropov rental. I'd have to look back to see what other picks were dealt over the years, but obviously there's a "garbage" 6th fresh in my mind for a rental this season as well.

I also agree with HBNYC that too many of these trades are rooted in the need to alleviate a "problem". The net effect is a team that's arguably worse AND worse off than the one with all the problems they were dying to get rid of.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
  #87
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,945
vCash: 500
What is he honestly going to buy? He has pretty much no cap space left at all. I really hope he can pull off some trades and realizes that this year isnt the season to "go for it".

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:11 PM
  #88
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Unfortunately, this franchise is unwilling to make the sacrifices that are necessary for that to happen.
That's a false choice. You don't need to suck right before you're elite

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
  #89
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You're probably right about that. The part of the majority of the fanbase sharing your opinion, that is. Unfortunately, that's one of the biggest problems. It's because so many of the fans just don't "get it" that the team continues to flounder. It's because of this irrational ignorance of fact, logic, and good old common sense...



...that this team will continue to be one of the most pathetic franchises in all of sports.

That's quite a line, by the way. Completely illogical, but amusing nonetheless.

It's the pigheaded, stubborn refusal to make any sacrifice, even as short as a year, that wastes decade after decade.

It's really alarming just how many people are unable to see the big picture, because this is something as simple as hockey. That's when you start to think, what else do these people not "get." Disturbing.
yeah it's the fanbase's fault that the team hasn't won very recently...

if you honestly stand by that statement you know nothing about the NHL or MLB, NFL, NBA or even any other major league. The rangers have made the playoffs four straight years. They won a cup in 94, so although it's been some time it's not the biggest drought out there at all. Get a grip.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
  #90
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
yeah it's the fanbase's fault that the team hasn't won very recently...

if you honestly stand by that statement you know nothing about the NHL or MLB, NFL, NBA or even any other major league. The rangers have made the playoffs four straight years. They won a cup in 94, so although it's been some time it's not the biggest drought out there at all. Get a grip.
This fanbase has no patience, that is the point. If this team were to not make the playoffs and instead sell at the deadline, many people here would be furious because they didn't try to make the playoffs etc.

One step back to take a few steps forward in the long run.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
  #91
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
That's a false choice. You don't need to suck right before you're elite
When you have utterly inept management and ownership, you do. The Rangers are not the Red Wings or the Devils. They have the best management in the league. Our GM is still living off of successes from 25 years ago. If you don't have superior management and you don't have top 5 draft picks, then you have no chance to win titles in the salary cap era.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
  #92
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
When you have utterly inept management and ownership, you do. The Rangers are not the Red Wings or the Devils. They have the best management in the league. Our GM is still living off of successes from 25 years ago. If you don't have superior management and you don't have top 5 draft picks, then you have no chance to win titles in the salary cap era.
We have an elite crop of prospects we shouldn't be desperate for picks at this point.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
  #93
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
This fanbase has no patience, that is the point. If this team were to not make the playoffs and instead sell at the deadline, many people here would be furious because they didn't try to make the playoffs etc.

One step back to take a few steps forward in the long run.
Wait a second that sounds familiar... I've been saying that for a while now in my defense of this franchise. We have the young talent to be elite soon without tanking or sacrificing this year. We shouldn't and won't mortgage the future for this year, but a Sather fleecing of some mid-level rental seems to be in order.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:41 PM
  #94
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
We have an elite crop of prospects we shouldn't be desperate for picks at this point.
Unfortunately because of Cherepanov's death, we are lacking a true blue-chipper in that group.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
  #95
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Wait a second that sounds familiar... I've been saying that for a while now in my defense of this franchise. We have the young talent to be elite soon without tanking or sacrificing this year. We shouldn't and won't mortgage the future for this year, but a Sather fleecing of some mid-level rental seems to be in order.
You are assuming that Sather will fleece someone though. What if he gives up another 2nd rounder for a rental like Ponikarovsky? What if he gives up Sanguinetti? Neither of which are that far-fetched. Also, this entire organization lacks true high-end talent, where is their superstar? Kreider? Grachev? Both possible 1st liners but right now dont look to be superstar material.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
  #96
Nick00
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
We have an elite crop of prospects we shouldn't be desperate for picks at this point.
No, no we don't.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
  #97
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Unfortunately, this franchise is unwilling to make the sacrifices that are necessary for that to happen.
Neither is a large part of the fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
We have an elite crop of prospects we shouldn't be desperate for picks at this point.
We have a very good group of prospects with excellent numbers. What we lack is a generational player.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If readers here think that the majority of the fan base wants the Rangers to burn the furniture and not even try to compete so they can accumulate high draft choices, they are crazy. And if I just called you crazy, then I am sorry. I am not talking about what you think. Everybody on the board is entitled to their own opinion but if you think that the majority of Ranger fans favor a long term tank, you are incorrect. There are lots of wanna be GMs on this board who see things in the very long term. Like in the 4-5-6 years it would take to lose 50 games a season and hopefully get a couple of elite players from the draft. This forum represents a very small and very young slice of Ranger nation. Think what you want but don't think everyone agrees with you.

This is one case wheer the silent majority is in agreement with management, although many have not even thought about it,. Most Ranger fans want to be entertained and to come see a winning team. Losing 50 games a year is neither.


Last edited by bobbop: 02-16-2010 at 06:30 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
  #98
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Neither is a large part of the fan base.
I think they have embraced the lovable loser mentality of Cubs fans. Championship droughts almost become like a badge of honor that so-called true fans carry around.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
  #99
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
He did give away a 2nd for the Antropov rental. I'd have to look back to see what other picks were dealt over the years, but obviously there's a "garbage" 6th fresh in my mind for a rental this season as well.

I also agree with HBNYC that too many of these trades are rooted in the need to alleviate a "problem". The net effect is a team that's arguably worse AND worse off than the one with all the problems they were dying to get rid of.


Well, I would like to think Sather made the Antropov trade knowing he was getting an additional compensatory pick, so in essence, the trade to get Antro was a good trade since we made the playoffs and still made a 2nd round pick.

Obviously, Slats makes trades for quick fixes. My point is that he has not shown any sign or mortgaging the future to improve the team. Looking at the last five seasons, he only traded a 3rd for Sykora and a 2nd for Antro. Both were good trades.

The fact that the Rangers havent traded a 1st round pick since 2002 -- 8 seasons in a row -- has to be a franchise record for restraint.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
  #100
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,009
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
What we lack is a generational player.
I don't disagree with your assessment, but what teams really do have that? Generational players are hard to come by that's why they're generational.

What the Rangers do lack is a guy you can look to and pencil him into a top line forward spot.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.