HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Why is Norway not a hockey power?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
  #1
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,345
vCash: 500
Why is Norway not a hockey power?

Out of curiosity, does anybody know why Norweigan hockey lags behind Sweden and Finland? The Norweigans have a pretty good reputation as winter athletes going by their Olympic history and are in a similar climate to their northern neighbours Finland and Sweden and I assume they have similar population numbers and lifestyles. That said, why are they such a non factor in the hockey world? It just seems kind of weird that hockey is popular in neighbouring countries and in Central Europe, but not in a place where you'd generally expect it to flourish. Any ideas or definitive answers on why Norway isn't good at hockey?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
  #2
Vincent_TheGreat
Registered User
 
Vincent_TheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Out of curiosity, does anybody know why Norweigan hockey lags behind Sweden and Finland? The Norweigans have a pretty good reputation as winter athletes going by their Olympic history and are in a similar climate to their northern neighbours Finland and Sweden and I assume they have similar population numbers and lifestyles. That said, why are they such a non factor in the hockey world? It just seems kind of weird that hockey is popular in neighbouring countries and in Central Europe, but not in a place where you'd generally expect it to flourish. Any ideas or definitive answers on why Norway isn't good at hockey?
I always wonder why they weren't closer to Sweden and Finlands level

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM
  #3
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
The 8-0 kinda answers the "power" part.

But they should be given more credit then what they get

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
  #4
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
The 8-0 kinda answers the "power" part.

But they should be given more credit then what they get
It answers nothing of the question, wtf are you even talking about. He is asking why they aren't a hockey power, he already knows they aren't.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
  #5
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
The biggest problem is a lack of hockey rinks. Currently, there are 37 of them in Norway. When Sweden and Finland took steps towards improving the hockey infrastructure, Norway didn't. Even in Norway's highest league, the conditions are quite bad (the locker room aren't in the same building as the rink, etc...)

I think it has to do with culture, hockey just didn't stick with the Norwegians, they prefer cross-country skiing and such. According to this article, such conceptions such as hockey had too much east block feeling stuck to it. If you played hockey in Norway, you were stupid. The success they had in soccer 1994, didn't help the hockey program.

It's a bad spiral. The interest in hockey is low, so media doesn't write about it. Hockey doesn't get alot of money and players, so the interest is kept low. And so on... and those few Norwegians who become good players, don't stay in their own league, but usually play in SEL.


Last edited by Chimp: 02-17-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
  #6
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
The 8-0 kinda answers the "power" part.

But they should be given more credit then what they get
Oh I just mean why they aren't a top hockey nation like their neighbours are, like what makes them unique from Finland and Sweden and even small countries like Czech and Slovakia that makes them so much less competitve traditionally.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
  #7
HockeyAustralia
 
HockeyAustralia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,383
vCash: 500
they should be a power. They have a great winter olympics tradition, but not in hockey unfortunately.

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:23 AM
  #8
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Oh I just mean why they aren't a top hockey nation like their neighbours are, like what makes them unique from Finland and Sweden and even small countries like Czech and Slovakia that makes them so much less competitve traditionally.
Sorry, i misunderstood you. They should get more credit then what they get but i dont know enough of their program to have an exact reason.

Sorry again

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
  #9
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
As noted, the usual answer that locals give on this point is that the government simply never made the decision to invest in the sport, whether in terms of rink infrastructure or the programs, not like they traditionally have for ski jumping and cross country, for example.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:28 AM
  #10
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Anyone know off hand how many rinks/registered players etc etc Norway has?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:31 AM
  #11
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Petersburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,511
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Anyone know off hand how many rinks/registered players etc etc Norway has?
http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/norway.html

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:33 AM
  #12
Scoot
Registered User
 
Scoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
During the Norway-Canada game Doc Emrick kinda answered the question.

The Norwegians are excellent at individual sports, but not so good at teams sports.

It is surprising/odd because you'd think Norway would be on a par with Sweden and Finland.

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
  #13
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Anyone know off hand how many rinks/registered players etc etc Norway has?
They showed it before the game. I think it was something like 6800 registered players, 37 hockey rinks

Compared to Canada with about 500 000 registered players.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:41 AM
  #14
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
They showed it before the game. I think it was something like 6800 registered players, 37 hockey rinks

Compared to Canada with about 500 000 registered players.
Thanks

574,125 according to THN and Hockey Canada

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:49 AM
  #15
David Brent
Registered User
 
David Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Too few rinks, and not enough people interested in the sport.

The number of rinks is on the rise, so things are looking better.

David Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:34 AM
  #16
passive voice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
During the Norway-Canada game Doc Emrick kinda answered the question.

The Norwegians are excellent at individual sports, but not so good at teams sports.
It is surprising/odd because you'd think Norway would be on a par with Sweden and Finland.
That's just an observation, not really an explanation. Pretty sure it just has to do with priorities. I find it hard to believe that Norwegians as a people can't grasp team sports.

Also of note; it's probably asking too much for them to be on par w/Finland and Sweden. First of all, for my money, those two are the best hockey countries on a per capita basis, so that's a pretty high standard. Also, Norway only has ~1/2 of Sweden's population.

All that said, if some rich Norwegian hockey benefactor came along and built a couple dozen rinks around the country, and pumped money into the league, I'm sure you'd see Norway make their way up the rankings pretty quickly. At least until (as with everything) hockey catches China's interest, whereupon it's pretty much game over for the rest of us

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:35 AM
  #17
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by passive voice View Post
That's just an observation, not really an explanation. Pretty sure it just has to do with priorities. I find it hard to believe that Norwegians as a people can't grasp team sports.

Also of note; it's probably asking too much for them to be on par w/Finland and Sweden. First of all, for my money, those two are the best hockey countries on a per capita basis, so that's a pretty high standard. Also, Norway only has ~1/2 of Sweden's population.

All that said, if some rich Norwegian hockey benefactor came along and built a couple dozen rinks around the country, and pumped money into the league, I'm sure you'd see Norway make their way up the rankings pretty quickly. At least until (as with everything) hockey catches China's interest, whereupon it's pretty much game over for the rest of us
They are too short to compete

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:45 AM
  #18
Crazyhorse
Registered User
 
Crazyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
They are too short to compete
Yao Mings unknown brother says hello.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:53 AM
  #19
Spamhuis
Registered User
 
Spamhuis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 500
less population than toronto for the whole country..

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
  #20
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
There are several reasons why hockey has never really caught on in Norway.

One of the main being the lack of rinks. In Finland and Sweden rinks are scattered all across the country and kids grow up playing hockey. In Norway, only in the Oslo area and a couple of other places are there any rinks at all. This of course ensures that the sport doesn't carry any nationwide interest.

Secondly- and this is important - hockey carries a bit of a bad rep in Norway. It is considered a somewhat brutish sport played by thugs and buillies. If you live in a hockey area there's a good chance that your local school bullies and self-proclaimed tough guys are also hockey players. This may seem like an unfair assumption but it carries a grerat deal of truth nonetheless. At the school where I work there have been cases of the local hockey coaches telling players that being aggressive at school benefits them on the ice (!!). Needless to say that doesn't enhance the sport's reputation.

Thirdly, there is no media exposure to speak of. Some games are televised on Pay TV channels but no one is watching anyway. If games had been shown on national tv it might have been different, but newspapers and tv don't really care much for the sport.
Lack of exposure = lack of interest.

A fourth and final explanation lies in the fact that other sports are more popular among kids. Soccer is the dominant sport and skiing is in our blood so that takes most of the kids time. That coupled with the lack of international success for the hockey team creates a viscious circle for the sport.

Whoever said that Norway aren't good at team sports obviously doesn't know much about Norwegian sports. The national soccer team have qualified for World Championships and European Championships in the past and are hugely popular. The same goes for handball. Norwegians aren't particularly geared towards individual sports, at least not more than Finns and Swedes, it's just that skiing's what we're brought up on - the same way Canadians are taught to play hockey.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
  #21
Drudkh
Registered User
 
Drudkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
less population than toronto for the whole country..

And Norway's population is barely less than Finland or Slovakia.

Drudkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:03 AM
  #22
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I believe Norway suffers of the same fate as Austria in that regard: Other sports are just more popular and all the athletic talents are concentrated on this. Strangely enough, the most popular sport is not the one getting the best talent in both cases. In Norway and Austria Football (with which I mean Soccer for all the handegg fans out there) tops all in popularity, but Norway is having the most success in cross country skiing (and it's cousin biathlon) and Austria is a dominant force in alpine skiing.

Simply put, hockey is just not popular enough in either country.


Last edited by chaosof99*: 02-17-2010 at 02:09 AM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:16 AM
  #23
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers
 
SonomaShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
less population than toronto for the whole country..
lol wut? Canada's population is less than California, so what's yer point?

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:33 AM
  #24
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
lol wut? Canada's population is less than California, so what's yer point?
Toronto having a higher population then Norway was his point.
It was quite clear

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:47 AM
  #25
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
During the Norway-Canada game Doc Emrick kinda answered the question.

The Norwegians are excellent at individual sports, but not so good at teams sports.

It is surprising/odd because you'd think Norway would be on a par with Sweden and Finland.
They certainly excel at individual winter sports, however I'm pretty handball is not only a team sport, but one that they excel at far better than the Finns, at least (the Swedes are the best in Scandinavia at THAT too, and possibly the best team out there). I may get ridiculed for bringing up handball, but many countries would ridicule Canada's love of curling, or America's obsession with golf or Nascar (all of which, I'm sure, could put over half the globe to sleep... I really like watching and playing the first two of them however, lol).

Also, they're pretty damn good at football (soccer), and I predict that rugby will become really popular and strong there very soon.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Whoever said that Norway aren't good at team sports obviously doesn't know much about Norwegian sports. The national soccer team have qualified for World Championships and European Championships in the past and are hugely popular. The same goes for handball. Norwegians aren't particularly geared towards individual sports, at least not more than Finns and Swedes, it's just that skiing's what we're brought up on - the same way Canadians are taught to play hockey.
Haha, guess I should have kept reading... you've already covered the bases.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.