HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question on Wings

Old
02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Question on Wings

I always wonder why but when I'm playing in pick up leagues and they try to decide on lines, they always put me on the left wing when I feel more comfortable on the right side. Their argument is that I'm a left handed shot so I should play left wing. I never really understood that, can somebody please explain to me where that logic comes from?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

receiving and passing passes on your forehand

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
That's pretty much it.

I think I developed more playing on the off wing though. Those subtle passes that are just an ounce more difficult to do catch up after a while.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:39 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yup thats it

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:15 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

And digging pucks out along the boards.

I do like shooting from the off wing much more though.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Webernaut

I am not a fan of forcing left to play left and right to play right. You play where you feel comfortable. There is no general rule for who plays left wing and who plays right, imo. I play left and I am right handed.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i dont necessarily agree that a left handed player should play left wing and vice versa because i, as a rightie, prefer the left side, but when i coach my jv i usually put them on their on wing just to make it easier for them to pass the puck, receive the pass and protect the puck unless someone tells me they prefer the off wing, and we do have more righties than lefties so i usually put the better skill player on the off wing

defense though, i put the lefties on left and the righties on right. at that level they cant pass or receive passes too well on their backhands so i dont want them to blow a pass and turn the puck over in our zone or on a d to d pass

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Hockeyfan68

I played right wing and shot left but mainly did so because I was a defensive forward and stealing passes on your off wing was easier for me. The big thing with me though is I am good on the backhand for most everything including hard rink wide passes.

On the right side killing a penalty and shooting left I could take a clear from the D up the boards on my forehand and quickly spin it out of the zone on my forehand as well as having a good windshield wiper stick position covering the point on the kill.

Then on the attack after a turnover shooting on the off wing was great to try and get a shorty.

It isn't for everyone but I liked it and had some success with it. I am sure it isn't textbook but hey .... whatev. I am strong on the backhand and it made the difference.

Now I play defense and I stay true to my left hand side as I shoot left. I use the good backhander to clear off the glass or buttcheck someone off along the boards and make a backhand pass up ice.

Shooting from the point playing D on your off wing opens you up for troubles like hitting shinguards and sending someone away on the rebound for a breakaway if you know what I mean.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
HowToHockey

Another point would be your stickhandling abilities, many players can break into the center a bit easier on their strong side. I shoot right and I know I have a few more moves if I come from the right side, then try to cut to the center, or have to beat the D and go one on one with the goalie.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I always wonder why but when I'm playing in pick up leagues and they try to decide on lines, they always put me on the left wing when I feel more comfortable on the right side. Their argument is that I'm a left handed shot so I should play left wing. I never really understood that, can somebody please explain to me where that logic comes from?
Having you play on your "On" wing has benefits. One, what has been said above is catching the puck on your forehand. However, Let's say you shoot right, it easier to enter the attacking zone on your off wing. Here why....

Look at this picture below.

Notice, that most defensemen should give you more room towards the outside towards the boards and the White area. Once they have you doing this, the have completed 75% of the work. They have moved you into an area that has lower percentage of scoring opportunities. In fact, if they allow you to move to the outside into the White area and you take it, your scoring chance goes down to about 80%.

Now, if you go into the attacking zone on your on wing.

And you cut towards the center to stay away from going to the outside, you can see here that you put the puck at risk. This means that the puck in unprotected and the defenseman can poke it right off your stick. Plus, you have placed the shot on your backhand. Yes there are a lot of great hockey players with outstanding back hand. But forehands shots are always best.

However, if you attack the zone on your "Off" wing, on the left side.

You will see that when you make the turn towards the inside, the puck will be on the outside and your body will be between the puck and the defensemen. This is called puck protection. Plus, this green path is called a "Shooting Alley". When you go down the shooting alley, you place the puck in proper shooting release across your body with proper leg weight transfer. The puck moves across your body and your positioning is down towards the length of the alley.

Now, when you attack the zone, just don't come into the zone like a stroll on a nice spring day. When you enter the zone, enter the zone with the notion of going around he towards the outside. The defensemen will read your body language and adjust his speed accordingly. You will see it in his body action as well. Once you see this, make a quick stop turn towards open ice and center. Once you make this little quick stop turn, he will back up and three feet before he adjust towards the center.

Trust me when I tell you, he knows that he is in trouble and he will have to compensate for that space he just gives you. If you have a smart winger that is at center, the minute he sees you turn toward center, he will cross behind you to the outside and he should rush the net. Now you have to opportunities, shoot in the slot, or pass to the rushing winger. If the defensemen moves to pick you up, you can use him as a screen once he gets in front, or you can pass once the defenseman move or makes a commitment to you.

There is nothing in the rule book that say that you must beat the defensemen. Yes, it looks nice. But I am here to tell you that the goalie is expecting you to deke the defensemen and sometimes they are off balance and not ready for that screen shot. I have seen too many goalies because the winger used the defensemen as a tool and scored the goal because the goalie was expecting the winger to deke.

Hope this helps

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 02-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Semin

For my team, me and my buddy who both play on the wing, when there in our zone I play on the right, but when we get into the attacking zone we switch sides.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Hades

Next time they try to do that, tell them Ovechkin is a right-handed shot playing left-wing.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Marotte Marauder

The major reason to play on your "strong" (lefty on left wing) is the difficulty in playing the off wing in your own zone.

You must receive a ring around either with your stick crossed over in front of you (when facing away from your goal) or catch it on the forehand, while facing your goal. Thus having your backside to the big part of the ice, a bad situation.

Both are difficult to turn into a good breakout, that's why most players are positioned on their strong side, despite the increased opportunities on the other end of the ice.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
TinofGrizz

I think when on the powerplay you should always be on your off wing. Makes it a ton easier for one-timers and quicker release on shots with fast passes coming across the slot to you. Try and make them a deal tell them you will play left side, but want your off wing on the powerplay, after you net a few one-timers they may realize you are better on your off wing and switch you there full time.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote