HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question Regarding Buyouts

Old
02-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
Question Regarding Buyouts

What are the rules in order for a team to buyout a player?

From what i understand a player is bought out and we have to pay out a 1/3rd of his salary yearly for twice the amount of years at the time of his buyout.
(i.e. player A earns 3 mil per season gets bought out with 2 years remaining and is now paid 1 mil per season for 4 years.) or something like that

What my question is does the player need to be waived before he can be bought out? If so, can players that have No Movement Clauses be put on waivers in order to be bought out?

Rangerboy, this question is right up your alley

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 06:09 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post

From what i understand a player is bought out and we have to pay out a 1/3rd of his salary yearly for twice the amount of years at the time of his buyout.
(i.e. player A earns 3 mil per season gets bought out with 2 years remaining and is now paid 1 mil per season for 4 years.) or something like that

What my question is does the player need to be waived before he can be bought out? If so, can players that have No Movement Clauses be put on waivers in order to be bought out?

The first part is correct for what the player gets paid, however the cap-hit of a buyout can change. The buyout calc on capgeek is probably the best way to calculate an individual buyout.

As for your question: Yes a player needs to be put on unconditional waivers before he is bought out. Players with a NMC can decide whether they want to be put on waivers or to be bought out directly.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Hockey2000nyr

i am asking this question because if some people want to buy-out Chris Drury, well, if he has to be put on waivers in order to be bought out, he has a NMC which would block that, unless he wanted to be bought out.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The CBA allows teams to buyout players with NMC clauses

It's in the CBA

Quote:
11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.
(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under
Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade
or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3
Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause
extends through and does not become effective until the t ime that the Player qualifies for
Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior
to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring
Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move
clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writIng to the Player, Central Registry and
the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

(b) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player,
whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict
the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to
exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC
hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3
hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The
Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or
reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in
accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24)
hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed
rejected.
The player still has control.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post

It's 2/3(66%)of the remaining existing value on the contract paid out over twice the term.

The buyout period begins June 15 and ends June 30. That's the ordinary course buyout period.

The only other time teams are allowed to buyout players is if a team has 2 or more arbitration cases

Quote:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the
right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary
Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be
limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant
to Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary
arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall
not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course
Buy-Outs
. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period
for any Player earning less than $1 million.
Vinny Prospal was bought out outside the regular period.

Old
02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Section311

So if we bought out Drury's contract this summer, what would that cap hit be? 3.75 for 4 years???

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
So if we bought out Drury's contract this summer, what would that cap hit be? 3.75 for 4 years???
Quote:
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...LCULATE+BUYOUT

Too expensive.

Old
02-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I dont like the year that we have to pay 4 million but I dont think I would mine the last 2 years at 2 mill

Old
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Where are the Rangers going? The salary cap jumped from $39 million in 05-06 to $44 million in 06-07 to $50.3 million in 07-08(Chris Drury and Scott Gomez) to $56.7 million in 08-09(Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival). It stagnated to $56.8 million for this season and it will remain status quo for next season. It might increase or decrease. The Canadian dollar will determine the cap for next season. The Rangers have $45-$46 million committed for next season. They have so many decisions to make by March 3 and this summer. Sather used the cap increases to go shopping and now that the cap has stagnated or might decrease,the Rangers are in a bind.

The current CBA expires after next season with the NHLPA having the option of extending the agreement by an extra year. That promises to be another tough negotiation. Pierre LeBrun mentioned there might be another round of compliance buyouts in the next CBA. That is where and when the Rangers divest themselves of Wade Redden's contract.
I think this noteworthy too.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Just thinking that if you can get a player for $3 mil per that you think can give you what Chris is giving us now--even in the highest payment year of 11-12 you're only back where you will be anyway--4 mil to Chris + 3 mil to the other equals the $7 mil that Chris is getting now. The other three years you would be ahead.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Just thinking that if you can get a player for $3 mil per that you think can give you what Chris is giving us now--even in the highest payment year of 11-12 you're only back where you will be anyway--4 mil to Chris + 3 mil to the other equals the $7 mil that Chris is getting now. The other three years you would be ahead.
Or we just keep him next season (where by all accounts our chances of being a contender are slim to non-existant) and consider a boyout after that:
Quote:
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667
Or what I think would be the best realistic option: Just wait out his contract, it's only two years, and I can't see us contending earlier anyway. We can get cap-space for our RFAs and reasonable(!) UFAs by trading Rozy and/or dumping Redden.
I'd even like to re-sign Drury after his contract, if he'd be willing to accept one-year deals at under 3 million. By then the Rangers have given hin more than enough money already...

Old
02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No reason to buyout Drury with only two years left on his contract.

If we move Rozsival and get an amnesty buyout(Redden) Drury's contract isn't so crippling the last two years.

IMO, Redden and Rozsival who have a lot of years remaining, are more detrimental.

Just have to get out of the Redden and Rozsival contracts.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

If we move Rozsival and get an amnesty buyout(Redden) Drury's contract isn't so crippling the last two years.

IMO, Redden and Rozsival who have a lot of years remaining, are more detrimental.

Actually, Rozy has as many years remaining as Drury (ie signed until 2012).
Really, getting rid of Redden has to be the priority.
While dumping him in hartford might not be very nice I don't think scaring some UFAs away will be a bad thing. And real good players have nothing to fear unless they start to play like fringe NHLers like Redden does. And I also think dumping Redden in HFD might make an amnesty buyout more likely. It won't be in the NHLPA's interest to have players dumped to the minors because of their cap hit.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Rosy's contract has the same amount of years remaining.

Old
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
rickyrod

Didn't Bettman say in an interview that there would be another amnesty buyout with the new CBA? The same interview, I think, where he said the cap will be based on what the Canadian dollar is doing, not the American dollar?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Didn't Bettman say in an interview that there would be another amnesty buyout with the new CBA? The same interview, I think, where he said the cap will be based on what the Canadian dollar is doing, not the American dollar?
Let us pray. If they an buy out Redden in a yr everyone is happy. Even Wade

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think this noteworthy too.
This

Quote:
The only real option on Redden is to send him to the AHL and eat his contract. A buyout next summer doesn't solve anything because the Rangers would still carry a $2 million cap hit from him for the next eight years.

I guess if you're New York, there's also the hope that when the next collective-bargaining agreement is negotiated, whether that's after next season or the season after that (the NHL Players' Association has the option of extending it a seventh year), teams will once again get a one-time shot at buying out their worst contract without cap implications, which was the case in August 2005, when the last CBA started. That would be an opportune time for the Rangers to deal with Redden
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...ers-fit-souray

Old
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Actually, Rozy has as many years remaining as Drury (ie signed until 2012).
Really, getting rid of Redden has to be the priority.
While dumping him in hartford might not be very nice I don't think scaring some UFAs away will be a bad thing. And real good players have nothing to fear unless they start to play like fringe NHLers like Redden does. And I also think dumping Redden in HFD might make an amnesty buyout more likely. It won't be in the NHLPA's interest to have players dumped to the minors because of their cap hit.
Not sure I'm quite getting you here jniklast. To me Drury is a stretch as a $3 mil per year player now. I don't think in two years when he's 36-37 he'll even have that much value and to be honest unless this team really turns it around I think it would be best to turn the page altogether on him. At this point in time I think he'd be just about the last player I'd think about bringing back when his contract was up.

And on the point of how 'real good players have nothing to fear'--I think most players like most people tend to overestimate themselves in a lot of ways--ability being one of them. The problem is when the boss or in this case GM Glen believe it too and when it turns out not to be the reality. Not that I don't agree about putting Redden in the minors and I don't care that much if that keeps some free agent from signing with us because our free agent signees have a tendency to disappoint--sometimes extremely disappoint.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Thanks for the correction.

For some reason I thought Rozsival had more years remaining.

Still gotta get rid of him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote