HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about skates from beginner

Old
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
JMUcapsfan07

vCash: 500
Question about skates from beginner

I posted a few weeks ago that I'm 25 years old and want to start learning to play hockey. I've been skating pretty much every week for a while now and am taking my first skating class next month.

I went to my LHS today to try on some different skates because I'm planning on buying a pair because I'm tired of paying to rent and I'm assuming that my own pair will be much more comfortable than the rentals.

Anyway, I tried on several different brands and despite some help from the guy workin at the shop I'm a bit confused on how the skate is supposed to fit. I was measured as a size 10 skate with an "average"(I think this is the term he used) width. The first pair I tried on were a pair of Bauer Vapor X:30 and they immediately felt a bit tight in the front as well as the sides - I know that skates are supposed to fit snug but these seemed a bit uncomfortable as my toes were touching the toecap while standing.

I then tried on a pair of CCM Vector 04 and they seemed much more comfortable but maybe even a bit too wide. I also thought with my size (I'm 6'3" 210 lbs) that I might want a slightly better skate from what I have read on here.

They didn't have any Easton's or Rbk's in my size or price range so I didn't try any of those on. However, they did have a pair of the NikeBauer Supreme One95 in my size and he let me try those on just to compare to the Vapor's. I have to say that the fit of these seemed much better than the Vapor's or the CCM's. It felt snug without being too snug - but obviously I realize that these skates are out of my range both financially and skating ability wise.

I was wondering if anyone had any extra insight. I know these boards are filled with similar topics so I'm not sure if there's anything extra to add to my thread. Is there any chance the Supreme One55's fit similarly to the One95's? I see that they are within my price range now and from what I've read seem to be a pretty good midrange skate. I have been kind of disappointed with the selection at my LHS to this point but he did say some of the new lines are coming out next month.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

JMUcapsfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

honestly i would tell you to go to a shop that sells all brands of skates, RBK and Eastons are very popular skates and could be the best fit for you. Is there any other shops around you? I tried on probably 10 pairs of skates on before i bought my RBK 5K's which fit like a glove and have zero discomfort.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
JMUcapsfan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
honestly i would tell you to go to a shop that sells all brands of skates, RBK and Eastons are very popular skates and could be the best fit for you. Is there any other shops around you? I tried on probably 10 pairs of skates on before i bought my RBK 5K's which fit like a glove and have zero discomfort.

There are a few but so far this is the only one I have been able to find with reasonably priced skates.

I went to Kettler Iceplex (Capitals practice facility and very nice public rink) and they didn't have any skates that were affordable it seemed. They were all $400+ and at this beginning stage that seems like way too much to spend until I become somewhat decent.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post
I was measured as a size 10 skate with an "average"(I think this is the term he used) width.
He was probably referring to your foot width. "D" is a regular width, E is a for a wide foot. I think you're probably going about it the right way by trying on several pairs. You're also correct about them fitting snug. If they are loose they will rub and that means blisters. Beyond that I wouldn't get too caught up in what others tell u. I think sometimes people end up getting something that really isn't comfortable because they were told that's how it was "supposed" to fit.

One more thing to keep in mind is that they will feel stiff at first but after about 3 weeks they will break in and feel better.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post
Anyway, I tried on several different brands and despite some help from the guy workin at the shop I'm a bit confused on how the skate is supposed to fit. I was measured as a size 10 skate with an "average"(I think this is the term he used) width. The first pair I tried on were a pair of Bauer Vapor X:30 and they immediately felt a bit tight in the front as well as the sides - I know that skates are supposed to fit snug but these seemed a bit uncomfortable as my toes were touching the toecap while standing.
You want them to be snug, but you dont want your toes to be crowded. I had the same problem with the Easton skates that I tried on. My toes felt crowded. I wear an E width shoe and I found that the Bauers and Reeboks fit me a lot better than the Eastons did.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
jsykes

I'm in the same area as you, if you want, shoot me a PM with exactly where you live and I can recommend a few shops for you to try.

The shops in the DC area are not all the highest stocked places, but there are several around and when I was looking for skates, I was able to try on something in every brand I was considering by just visiting a few of the shops.

Shoot me a PM and I'll point you toward some places to check out and who to talk to at each place for the most knowledgeable fitters.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've bought two pairs of skates the last three years and am saving up for a third. I've been poorly fitted and haven't had a good skate for me yet.

The guy at the shop said you want the tightest fitting and shortest skates you can get. Make sure the heel locks into place and doesn't lift when you slide forward in the boot. If the heel locks tightly, they can bake and stretch the toes to fit. That's better than too wide a skate, which can't be fixed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh one more thng, I've been told if a boot fits comfortably n the store, it will be too big. You do want it a bit tight so it has room to break in.

One55s fit the same as one95s, which are complete overkill for beginners.

Old
02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
JMUcapsfan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oh one more thng, I've been told if a boot fits comfortably n the store, it will be too big. You do want it a bit tight so it has room to break in.

One55s fit the same as one95s, which are complete overkill for beginners.

I definitely knew the one95's are overkill for beginners. However, the way they fit wasn't so much comfortable as it was snug without feeling overcrowded. Basically they fit the way I had read they were supposed to fit.

I'm wondering now if I should attempt to find a pair of one55's since you say they fit the same.

The CCM's felt "too comfortable" if that makes any sense.

Old
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Haven't tried the One55's but they look like a good skate. I know a lot of guys on my team use mid-level skates and are fine, but you're a bigger player than most and I don't know how that would hold up...

Definitely go with snug over comfy.

Old
02-16-2010, 11:47 PM
HowToHockey

Have you thought about saving money and getting a used pair? I wore used pairs of skates until I was 18 and never had any problems. You can get good pairs for cheap, and when you are just starting you will not notice much of a difference.

In Ontario there are a bunch of used sports stores with a huge selection of skates, recycled sports, and play it again sports are good ones.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I paid $300 for my Vapor XXV's...just bought another pair off Craigslist last night for $35. They don't look as nice as mine, but they're just as stiff and in decent skating condition.

Old
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
JMUcapsfan07

Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't considered the used idea but I'll check craigslist and what not to see what's available. We used to have Play It Again Sports in Maryland but the only one I knew about closed a decade or more ago - not sure why.

Thanks again!