HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Christensen

Old
02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Kind of Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post
Cheechoo was actually very good in San Jose before Thorton. He just decided to suck for no reason.
First of all, no, as Trxjw pointed out.

Second, I just want to say that it really bothers me how casually people on message boards throw around the word "suck." Voros sucks, this guy sucks, that guy sucks, everyone sucks. Listen, the worst guy in the NHL doesn't suck. Actually, the worst guy in the AHL doesn't suck. People really need to get a clue about how tough it is to make it and how tough it is to sustain any type of career without natural superstar talent (which almost nobody has). Think about that, and once you get it, you'll be able to look at these guys with the respect they deserve, and you won't automatically say any of them suck. There's a way to say a guy isn't playing at his best or a guy simply isn't up to the task without saying he sucks. And think about how stupid when a guy who is not a professional athlete has the balls to call out a professional athlete and say that guy sucks.

(I don't mean to single out your comment, but I just see this all the time and it was like the final straw)

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Too bad the Olympic Break came at the time EC heated up. We might have been able to ride a few great games out of him. I'm hoping he doesn't fall off when school gets back in session.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, now that I've seen him in a number of interviews, watched his demeanor on the bench, etc., I think he actually may suffer from depression - as in the actual mental illness. Given that depending on whom you talk to, something like 5-10% of the population suffers from this affliction to varying degrees, it's entirely possible. If that's the case and he's actually getting treatment for it since he came to NY, you could finally see him pull those flashes together into a solid career.

Pure, unadulterated speculation on my part - but reading between the lines and watching his body language, I have to admit that it's the first thing that popped into my head.
I totally understand what you're saying. I mean, it could be that. But it could be more simple than that...

I think we've all noticed that Christensen is a pretty intelligent, thoughtful guy -- more so than most professional athletes (that's why we've noticed, of course). A lot of these guys who fit that profile and who aren't plus talents are often their own worst enemies -- these guys commonly over-think things; they look at their ability too rationally; they are very hard on themselves. My gut tells me that Christensen fits this profile.

This isn't a perfect analogy, but anyone who has read Moneyball will understand what I'm about to talk about. Billy Beane actually was a plus talent, but he sort of fit the profile I described above -- he over-thought the game and his ability and he was unbelievably hard on himself. There was a section in the book where he was in the dugout with Lenny Dykstra, then his teammate with the Mets, and they were watching Steve Carlton warm up, who they'd be facing that day. Dykstra did not have anywhere near the talent that Beane did, but he sure as hell wasn't the cerebral guy that Beane was -- for Dykstra, that meant that the game was simple, and it was easy for him to be confident because he didn't overrationalize his ability (Beane managed to convince himself he was limited when he wasn't; Dykstra didn't see that he was limited when he really was), and he wasn't hard on himself when he failed (Beane would stew over a strikeout; Dykstra would have forgotten it by the next at-bat).

That's the setup; here's the excerpt from the book:

Quote:
“Billy [Beane] remembers sitting with Lenny in a Mets dugout watching the opposing pitcher warm up. ‘Lenny says, “So who’s that big dumb ass out there on the hill?” And I say, “Lenny, you’re kidding me, right? That’s Steve Carlton. He’s maybe the greatest left-hander in the history of the game.” Lenny says, “Oh, yeah! I knew that!” He sits there for a minute and says, “So, what’s he got?” And I say, “Lenny, come on. Steve Carlton. He’s got heat and also maybe the nastiest slider ever.” And Lenny sits there for a while longer as if he’s taking that in. Finally he just says, “****, I’ll stick him.” I’m sitting there thinking, that’s a magazine cover out there on the hill and all Lenny can think is that he’ll stick him.’”
What I'm getting at is, Christensen seems like a Billy Beane type, in terms of personality, and there are a lot of "Dykstras" out there who probably are as talented as Christensen or maybe even less so, but their makeup makes things easier for them.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 02-17-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote