HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

URI Varsity?

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Terrier

vCash: 500
URI Varsity?

Here is a ProJo column on the future of hockey at URI. Any Rhode Islanders or URI alums here who would care to comment on this?

http://www.projo.com/sports/johngill...9x.1d70f6.html

Old
01-21-2005, 03:26 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
link requires login

Old
01-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Well I'm not a Rhode Islander nor URI alum but I think they'd be a great addition to D-1. Good location to both HE and ECACHL teams (particularly for PC and Brown), apparently they're fairly strong in other D-1 sports, namely basketball.

I was reading on the USCHO site the other day that Lakewood (or whatever the school's name is just outside St. Louis) and Navy are also being considered for D-1. Navy apparently has a leg up on everyone else because (according to USCHO) Navy already has funding and supposedly the green light for a new building to house ice hockey.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Schlep Rock

As a Rhode Island native I want to weigh in...

If URI does not roll out a varsity hockey team in the next couple of years, they will be plain stupid. They have a brand new arena which was the intention of the donor to have a varsity hockey team at the school.

The new A.D. is the former assistant A.D. at UConn who launched a D-1 program and gets by because it doesn't offer scholarships. Rhode Island has such a rich hockey tradition they could easily fill their first year roster with about 5 RI guys and look elsewhere for the other 20 (not a bad %). URI is a great school and was ranked by Playboy as the top party school in the country until recently when they removed them saying "URI no longer needs to be ranked amongst the amateurs. Hall of fame for Rhody" Don't be fooled, this info is provided to basketball players on a regular basis.

Football team who has a ridiculous amount of scholly's is one of the biggest jokes in the world. But yet they CONTINUE to pour money into a failing program. The basketball team had back-to-back 20-win seasons the past two years but have been killed by injuries this year but next year will be one of, if not the best in the Atlantic 10.

Old
01-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Patman

UConn is hardly a model I would use for hockey. This is a school that only recently became one of the last teams not to have names on their jerseys. Non-scholarship might as well be non-compete for an eastern team not part of the ECAC and it would suggest that URI only cares about hockey on paper. A non-scholarship hockey team at URI would not be a boost to their atheltic program if you are looking at a boost in comparison to their underperforming teams in other sports. UConn is bad, but at least it has an increased academic profile to attract the non-scholarship students, URI doesn't have that in their favor and I don't think middle of the pack in the nation's worse conference is a serious goal.

(Fair notice, I am a UConn TA/Grad Student and a alumni of UMass-Lowell)

Old
01-23-2005, 01:27 PM
canadahockeygirl*

I don't think college players need to have their names on the backs of their jerseys. The only thing it really does is allow fans to heckle the players directly instead of "hey 23, you suck!"

And yes, a team will do better once it can offer scholarships, but in the grand scheme of things the cost of tuition there isn't exactly over the roof as it is at other private institutions in the ECAC (when I graduated from St. Lawrence in 02, cost to attend was up around 38,000). URI's rates are considerably lower, RI residents pay 4,000 and out of staters pay 16,000 for tuition. Add in room/board, and it's still half of what it would be to go elsewhere. They can still recruit and get solid players who may qualify for other types of scholarships. D3 schools do it where they give academic scholarships/grants to their top recruits, etc. It's not legal, but it happens all the time.

I'd rather be middle of the pack in the nation's worst conference than a team that has to go to that conference to pick up some wins.

Old
01-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman
UConn is hardly a model I would use for hockey. This is a school that only recently became one of the last teams not to have names on their jerseys. Non-scholarship might as well be non-compete for an eastern team not part of the ECAC and it would suggest that URI only cares about hockey on paper. A non-scholarship hockey team at URI would not be a boost to their atheltic program if you are looking at a boost in comparison to their underperforming teams in other sports. UConn is bad, but at least it has an increased academic profile to attract the non-scholarship students, URI doesn't have that in their favor and I don't think middle of the pack in the nation's worse conference is a serious goal.

(Fair notice, I am a UConn TA/Grad Student and a alumni of UMass-Lowell)
With UConn... their basketball programs will ALWAYS get the money. URI, there's a chance for hockey. Right now basketball, soccer, and baseball are the 3 biggest sports at URI, hockey can easily weasel their way in there.

Start off without any scholarships and build up then there's enough $$$ for scholly's.

Old
01-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Schelp Rock actually makes a good point about gradually fazing in scholarships. Colgate, who until this season have never offered athletic scholarships to their hockey players. This season they offered four and have plans to gradually offer more at a rate of around 1-2 more with each year.

Also, many people forget that Union College does not offer athletic scholarships and have no plans to do so anytime in the near future.

Closed Thread