HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Went to Hartford

Old
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
Lisin isnt very skilled. PAP is much more skilled. Lisin just happens to be blessed with great speed, but not much skill and instincts.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I agree that people set some unrealistic expectations, but I can't say I feel his numbers were inflated by Duchene. Grachev was simply a man playing against boys. Now, the playing field has been leveled and he's learning to adjust.

I imagine he'll end up being a solid 50-60 point player if he develops well. 25G/30A in his prime. I wouldn't be too upset with that for a 3rd round pick. Anything more than that is icing on the cake, IMO. I think he'd be a nice fit on Gaborik's opposite wing though.
Last year everyone was mentioned Grachev to be a sure bet first line player with 40/40 seasons... He was a prospect and still is.... Now, this year the shiny prospects are Kreider and Stepan..... It's just hard to predict what a prospect will do at the NHL PRO level...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im trying to understand when it became important for Hartford to win games....

i always thought it was more important that they develop their players....hearing Grachev is working on his D makes me VERY happy because that is exactly what he needs to be working on to round his game out better.
Nashville develops their guys very nicely in Milwaukee, a team who is PO bound almost every season.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Last year everyone was mentioned Grachev to be a sure bet first line player with 40/40 seasons... He was a prospect and still is.... Now, this year the shiny prospects are Kreider and Stepan..... It's just hard to predict what a prospect will do at the NHL PRO level...
Not everyone.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
No, not everyone. Some folks just can't realize that it's not as cut and dry as good stats and a highlight reel. Few people watched regular Brampton games. The only things they saw were the highlights.

Nothing wrong with expectations, but I'm getting tired of people labeling players as "busts" just because they had unrealistic expectations. How many times have I seen "Anisimov is probably a 3rd liner at best" this season? How many times have I seen "Sanguinetti is expendable" or "Sangs has hit a wall, trade him before he busts completely?"

Small sample sizes + setting the bar too high = disappointment.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:12 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
PAP desperately needs a league between the AHL and the NHL.

He should get a shot somewhere, no reason he doesn't deserve it.
Long Island

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Levitate

PAP got a shot with the Rangers and didn't produce all that much. He was given time to make an impression and he didn't make much of one.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 08:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For the record, I think that Grachev still has 40/40 potential.

However, I also think that HFD is a disaster and I'm very worried about the impact that that environment may be having on our young kids. Time to dump Kenny G and bring in a new coach. Then, this offseason, they need to bring in some AHL vets (who know and accept that they're AHL vets) as stabilizing forces.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Levitate

Yeah Hartford seems to have really fallen apart and I don't know that losing badly every game is very conducive to developing players.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:11 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No, not everyone. Some folks just can't realize that it's not as cut and dry as good stats and a highlight reel. Few people watched regular Brampton games. The only things they saw were the highlights.

Nothing wrong with expectations, but I'm getting tired of people labeling players as "busts" just because they had unrealistic expectations. How many times have I seen "Anisimov is probably a 3rd liner at best" this season? How many times have I seen "Sanguinetti is expendable" or "Sangs has hit a wall, trade him before he busts completely?"

Small sample sizes + setting the bar too high = disappointment.
I agree... and I do take back that statement where I mentioned "everyone" was labeling Grachev a first line 40/40 player...

Prospects are just prospects right now.. There is a big difference from playing in juniors or NCAA and even the AHL to the NHL level... Scouting has got to be one of the toughest jobs to predict how 17-18 year old kids will be at the NHL level... A kid could have all the talent in the world but he may just not have that inner desire or will to make it to the NHL...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
For the record, I think that Grachev still has 40/40 potential.

However, I also think that HFD is a disaster and I'm very worried about the impact that that environment may be having on our young kids. Time to dump Kenny G and bring in a new coach. Then, this offseason, they need to bring in some AHL vets (who know and accept that they're AHL vets) as stabilizing forces.
I agree that HFD is a disaster of epic proportions.... I'm watching every game despite them getting killed.

Sather needs to f...ing draft better and sign good veterans, NOT fill the Hartford roster with 2 prospects (Grachev, Sangs) and round out with NHL rejects (Brashear), NHL prospect rejects (Williams), undrafted overage juniors (Crowder, DiDiomete etc.), life-time ECHLers (David Urquhart) and BS veterans (Rissmiller, Arnason)...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:53 AM
satrabyk

well the way i see it, if he was OV they wouldint be that worried about the defensive side. The fact is he is probably near Anisimov in talent level and the Defensive part of the game is what will be the deciding factor when trying to make the team.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
I agree that HFD is a disaster of epic proportions.... I'm watching every game despite them getting killed.

Sather needs to f...ing draft better and sign good veterans, NOT fill the Hartford roster with 2 prospects (Grachev, Sangs) and round out with NHL rejects (Brashear), NHL prospect rejects (Williams), undrafted overage juniors (Crowder, DiDiomete etc.), life-time ECHLers (David Urquhart) and BS veterans (Rissmiller, Arnason)...
Sather has been drafting fine... look who has moved up to the NHL lately and has either left or skipped HFD. Dubi, Cally, Staal, MDZ, Dawes, Korpikoski, Anisimov and Girardi. that's alot of AHL firepower to replace. And I'm pretty sure I missed another one or two.

Now look at what we have that isn't in the AHL. Stepan, Kreider, Hagelin, MCD all in NCAA. Bourque, Werek, Kundratek, Gaulton, Maggio, Horak all in the CHL.

So we have alot of good youth in the NHL, NCAA, and CHL. unfortunately that leaves the AHL pretty bare right now. In a year or two though the NCAA and CHL talent will all be in the AHL filling up the pool again. It's near impossible to have top talent in all 4 categories.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
PAP got a shot with the Rangers and didn't produce all that much. He was given time to make an impression and he didn't make much of one.
this. He was even getting PP time. He played on every line. I don't know what more the Rangers could've done to give him a fair chance.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote