HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I buy shoulder pads for beer league/beginner level?

Old
02-18-2010, 08:04 AM
IniNew

vCash: 500
Now for my side of the spectrum.

Like I said in an earlier post, I do not wear shoulders in my men’s league games. There are several of us that don’t—forwards included. We find the comfort factor of not wearing them more enjoyable than the limited protection they offer. Several times I have put the shoulders on and everyone in the locker room laughs ‘cause they know they’ll be off before the warm-ups are over. They just feel restrictive to me.
I also went from a full cage to a visor after about 6 months of playing. I have also been hit in the mouth with a wooden stick (on accident) and I still wear the visor. I never had a problem with the cage but at the same time, I enjoy not feeling like I am trapped inside of something.

Basically it all comes down to personal preference. Hockey is ALL personal preference.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 08:32 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloPoErich View Post
In the same token, when playing in a beginner or beer league, should one wear a visor or a full cage?
Not only do I wear a full shield/cage, but I also wear a mouthguard.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
And those aren't the guys he'll be playing against.
Exactly. The guys from the 70's and 80's I used to play with are worlds apart from the lower level rec leaguers I play with now. I played with no cage or visor for several months and not one puck or stick ever came above the knee. I probably take half a dozen sticks or pucks to the cage each season now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:39 AM
CanadaBacon

I wear shouldies but no face protection

If you are going the way of full eq, make sure you have your neck guard on too and dont remove the ear guards from your helmet.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote