HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It's time for the vets to speak up

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2005, 02:04 PM
  #1
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,542
vCash: 500
It's time for the vets to speak up

Surely not all of the millionare vets are buying into Goodenows "we won't accept cost certainty" views as i truely believe some still care about the game itself,some of these players probably still pinch themselfs on how much money they made under the old system but yet they knew their owners were loseing money.The Messier's,Hull's and Yzerman's of the hockey world knew a long time ago they were talking advantage of CBA full of cracks and were told of the losses and the fight to come.

Players such as this should speak up and save the game because they know the owners are serious this time around.

If the season is lost the NHLPA will disintegrate over the summer as the lesser players (majority) will start churping about no job and nowhere to go,fights will start with the retards (Domi,Pronger...etc) and split the union.The owners will then set a much smaller cap and they'll win big in the end.

Someone needs to step out and be a Hero!!

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 10:06 AM
  #2
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Surely not all of the millionare vets are buying into Goodenows "we won't accept cost certainty" views as i truely believe some still care about the game itself,some of these players probably still pinch themselfs on how much money they made under the old system but yet they knew their owners were loseing money.The Messier's,Hull's and Yzerman's of the hockey world knew a long time ago they were talking advantage of CBA full of cracks and were told of the losses and the fight to come.

Players such as this should speak up and save the game because they know the owners are serious this time around.

If the season is lost the NHLPA will disintegrate over the summer as the lesser players (majority) will start churping about no job and nowhere to go,fights will start with the retards (Domi,Pronger...etc) and split the union.The owners will then set a much smaller cap and they'll win big in the end.

Someone needs to step out and be a Hero!!
It may be time for the vets to speak up, but they can't(Yzerman,Sundin,Blake,Sakic)these guys have Bob Goodenow to thank for their gravy trains...they know this, and they would look really bad in the eyes of the PA...The guys who are now out of the game have spoke up(Roy)and the PA makes them look bad, and they don't even play anylonger...The 300-350 guys who make 1.8M or less have tried to speak but have made to look like idiots also, it is very much a mob mentality...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:12 AM
  #3
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
It may be time for the vets to speak up, but they can't(Yzerman,Sundin,Blake,Sakic)these guys have Bob Goodenow to thank for their gravy trains...they know this, and they would look really bad in the eyes of the PA...The guys who are now out of the game have spoke up(Roy)and the PA makes them look bad, and they don't even play anylonger...The 300-350 guys who make 1.8M or less have tried to speak but have made to look like idiots also, it is very much a mob mentality...
Opps..Yzerman speaks :

"Yzerman envisions an agreement in which the early stages are a luxury tax system and, if that doesn't achieve the desired goal, then a shift to a salary cap. He admits that the Red Wings' days of buying the best players would be over, but he says they would rely more on their scouting, "which has been very good, too."

Love to see Goodenow try to get this guy to retract his statements

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:14 AM
  #4
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Opps..Yzerman speaks :

"Yzerman envisions an agreement in which the early stages are a luxury tax system and, if that doesn't achieve the desired goal, then a shift to a salary cap. He admits that the Red Wings' days of buying the best players would be over, but he says they would rely more on their scouting, "which has been very good, too."

Love to see Goodenow try to get this guy to retract his statements
wouldn't that be the equivalent of career suicide for Bob?

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
  #5
Go Flames Go*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Yzerman suppourts the NHLPA, he called there last propoasl significant even though it was a terrible terrible offer.

There needs to be a link, and a hard or soft cap.

Go Flames Go* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:23 AM
  #6
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Opps..Yzerman speaks :

"Yzerman envisions an agreement in which the early stages are a luxury tax system and, if that doesn't achieve the desired goal, then a shift to a salary cap. He admits that the Red Wings' days of buying the best players would be over, but he says they would rely more on their scouting, "which has been very good, too."

Love to see Goodenow try to get this guy to retract his statements
it was leaked that that's exactly what the player's proposed - the links are on the board somewhere - 3 year's luxury tax - if it don't work - switch to salary cap -

mr gib is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:26 AM
  #7
Go Flames Go*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
it was leaked that that's exactly what the player's proposed - the links are on the board somewhere - 3 year's luxury tax - if it don't work - switch to salary cap -
It would never work, the owners cannot continue to loose money. There needs to be a solution not a band aide. What kind of CBA would that be okay lets do it your and then our way okay. The players NOW don't want a cap, but are all for selling out future players. Yup way to go PA, were doing it for the future, and the future players, but right now we cannot have a cap, but in 3 years when a lot of sus will be retired you can have a cap.

Go Flames Go* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:27 AM
  #8
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
It would never work, the owners cannot continue to loose money. There needs to be a solution not a band aide. What kind of CBA would that be okay lets do it your and then our way okay. The players NOW don't want a cap, but are all for selling out future players. Yup way to go PA, were doing it for the future, and the future players, but right now we cannot have a cap, but in 3 years when a lot of sus will be retired you can have a cap.
well of course - it's salary cap or nothing -

mr gib is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:46 AM
  #9
SENSible1*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
well of course - it's salary cap or nothing -

The system couldn't possibly work because neither side would behave normally during the first 3 years.

Leafs to Kovalev--"We'd like to sign you to a three year deal at $10 M per.

Kovalev, after checking with the PA--"No thanks, but I'll take $2 M per.

It is stupid and unworkable.

SENSible1* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:55 AM
  #10
Benji Frank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
Quote from the article Still, if they lifted the curtain right now, he would come out. He says he thinks something still might happen, and his voice rises at the possibility. "We'd need a few weeks to get players back from Europe, or for teams to get their rosters together because so many players are free agents," he says. "I don't see us starting any sooner than Feb. 10 and maybe playing a 36-game schedule. You could play your own division teams four times and everyone else twice, and that makes 36 games, so it works out."

He stops and laughs. "I was thinking about this earlier. I'm not that smart." End of Quote

To me this seems to well thought out to be coming from a guy who'se union just told him they likely won't be playing for the rest of this year or next......

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think Daly might be right when he says they're closer then the players seem to say they are.......

Benji Frank is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
  #11
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
The system couldn't possibly work because neither side would behave normally during the first 3 years.

Leafs to Kovalev--"We'd like to sign you to a three year deal at $10 M per.

Kovalev, after checking with the PA--"No thanks, but I'll take $2 M per.

It is stupid and unworkable.
Yeah that would be terrible.....

Who cares what the system is as long as the results are the same.

If after three years it is still a luxury cap then start it over again with three years until a cap is implimented - again, only if required.

We could very well find that if the NHL operates under this type of continued deadline it may very well be the deterent needed....

copperandblue is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
  #12
CarlRacki
Registered User
 
CarlRacki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
it was leaked that that's exactly what the player's proposed - the links are on the board somewhere - 3 year's luxury tax - if it don't work - switch to salary cap -
First, haven't those reports been refuted by both sides?
Second, haven't the players come out this weekend and again claimed they will never play under a cap?
Now, that could be just rhetoric, but it'll make them look pretty foolish if they've been making such statements while at the same time proposing a cap.

CarlRacki is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 12:47 PM
  #13
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
It would never work, the owners cannot continue to loose money. There needs to be a solution not a band aide. What kind of CBA would that be okay lets do it your and then our way okay. The players NOW don't want a cap, but are all for selling out future players. Yup way to go PA, were doing it for the future, and the future players, but right now we cannot have a cap, but in 3 years when a lot of sus will be retired you can have a cap.
Sorry dude. But it's a 30 team league.
Proven hockey franchises like Detroit could use the three year window to get their franchise in shape for the new era.
Effectively, it's like a grandfather clause.
It allows us to pay our guys like Lidstrom and Hatcher without absolutely gutting the team.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
  #14
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
it'll make them look pretty foolish if they've been making such statements while at the same time proposing a cap.
of course it's rhetoric.
You've got 700 players who can speak freely. Some are in lockstop. Some are not. None will be fined a million dollars.
So who cares?
If the players agreed to a three year plus three year deal that basically gaurantees the owners serious cost reduction, who cares if 20 or 30 players have egg on their face.
People are too busy nitpicking at everything the players say or do, and not taking a look at whether proposals would work.
Of course, looking hard at these proposals would forces some of you to start questioning the owners' stance.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.