HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Old
02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

vCash: 500
So, I've gotten going on P90x...through the 3rd day now. It's a really good thing for me that I took a couple weeks(before actually getting started) to do some of the workouts and work through some muscle soreness. I've still been a little sore after each of these few days so far, but not to the point where I can't workout each day...as was the case in that first couple weeks. I originally needed about a 6-day break between Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms, haha.

But anyway, I changed the thread title to Exercise & Nutrition as the two go hand in hand and I'm personally starting to try and think much more about what I eat. Short summary of my deal with food is....I was always really skinny growing up, pretty much all through high school. I always ate whatever the hell I wanted whenever the hell I wanted and never gained any weight. Got to college, and finally started to actually put on weight from all the terrible **** I had a tendency to eat. So I started actually paying some attention to calories and fat grams on labels, and tried to make somewhat healthier choices.

However, I never paid any attention whatsoever to my intake of carbs or proteins or anything, up until a week or two ago. Done a good amount of research since then though, and have gotten started on a diet focused more on building muscle. I'm going to shoot for about 3200 calories per day(in 5-7 meals)....55% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fats. So that's roughly 440 g's of carbs, 200 g's of protein, and 70 g's of fat.

If anyone has any input, or advice, or wants advice(I've been reading a ton and think I could actually be pretty helpful to some beginners, haha), feel free.

Also, I'd definitely be down to hear about some stuff that people eat that is both really healthy and tasty and a good source of protein and/or carbs. I guess I mean more of specific items/brands or odd/unusual food or food combos as I'm familiar with most of the more typical ideas out there. For instance, I just started using this dijonnaise stuff on sandwiches...brand is Maille, got it at Fresh Market. Stuff is really good and only 20 calories and 2 g's of fat. I found this awesome prepackaged turkey at Trader Joe's, made by Applegate Farms. Not sure there's anything particularly special about that nutrition wise, but it's way more delicious than any turkey I've ever bought at Giant, prepackaged or at the deli counter. Trader Joe's also has awesome baguettes that are made with wheat flour...$1.99, and some of them are bigger or wider than others and really work well for sandwiches. Alright, that's all for now. Oh yeah, I also am kind of just discovering how delicious jerky can be. I LOVE the Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's, but damn is that **** expensive! 5 bucks for 4 oz...that's twenty bucks a pound! And that actually seems to be about as cheap as it gets, I've only seen jerky priced similarly or higher elsewhere. I'm thinking about taking at shot at making it at home. Ok, I'll stop now.

edit: nevermind, guess I'm not changing the thread title...thought you could do that, but I was just trying and it didn't seem possible...if a mod could help me out that'd be sweet, thanks

double edit: oh yeah, btw, Tony Horton at times reminds me of Shooter McGavin, both with looks and occasional mannerisms

Last edited by claude boivin lives: 02-17-2010 at 02:01 PM.
claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Foodwise, I have yogurt and cereal in the mornings. I usually eat Kashi ****. its expense but I really like it. The "crunch" kind is pretty high in protein and its pretty good for you. It also helps me feel full for all of the morning and day.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Jerky is amazing, somehow people think it's bad for you but it's ridiculously high in protein and almost completely fat free. The only addition I would say would be to get natural peanut butter. It's def not as good or salty but regular pb is pretty bad for you compared to the natural stuff. I'll try to think of some other things that are good eats...
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
So, I've gotten going on P90x...through the 3rd day now. It's a really good thing for me that I took a couple weeks(before actually getting started) to do some of the workouts and work through some muscle soreness. I've still been a little sore after each of these few days so far, but not to the point where I can't workout each day...as was the case in that first couple weeks. I originally needed about a 6-day break between Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms, haha.

But anyway, I changed the thread title to Exercise & Nutrition as the two go hand in hand and I'm personally starting to try and think much more about what I eat. Short summary of my deal with food is....I was always really skinny growing up, pretty much all through high school. I always ate whatever the hell I wanted whenever the hell I wanted and never gained any weight. Got to college, and finally started to actually put on weight from all the terrible **** I had a tendency to eat. So I started actually paying some attention to calories and fat grams on labels, and tried to make somewhat healthier choices.

However, I never paid any attention whatsoever to my intake of carbs or proteins or anything, up until a week or two ago. Done a good amount of research since then though, and have gotten started on a diet focused more on building muscle. I'm going to shoot for about 3200 calories per day(in 5-7 meals)....55% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fats. So that's roughly 440 g's of carbs, 200 g's of protein, and 70 g's of fat.

If anyone has any input, or advice, or wants advice(I've been reading a ton and think I could actually be pretty helpful to some beginners, haha), feel free.

Also, I'd definitely be down to hear about some stuff that people eat that is both really healthy and tasty and a good source of protein and/or carbs. I guess I mean more of specific items/brands or odd/unusual food or food combos as I'm familiar with most of the more typical ideas out there. For instance, I just started using this dijonnaise stuff on sandwiches...brand is Maille, got it at Fresh Market. Stuff is really good and only 20 calories and 2 g's of fat. I found this awesome prepackaged turkey at Trader Joe's, made by Applegate Farms. Not sure there's anything particularly special about that nutrition wise, but it's way more delicious than any turkey I've ever bought at Giant, prepackaged or at the deli counter. Trader Joe's also has awesome baguettes that are made with wheat flour...$1.99, and some of them are bigger or wider than others and really work well for sandwiches. Alright, that's all for now. Oh yeah, I also am kind of just discovering how delicious jerky can be. I LOVE the Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's, but damn is that **** expensive! 5 bucks for 4 oz...that's twenty bucks a pound! And that actually seems to be about as cheap as it gets, I've only seen jerky priced similarly or higher elsewhere. I'm thinking about taking at shot at making it at home. Ok, I'll stop now.

edit: nevermind, guess I'm not changing the thread title...thought you could do that, but I was just trying and it didn't seem possible...if a mod could help me out that'd be sweet, thanks

double edit: oh yeah, btw, Tony Horton at times reminds me of Shooter McGavin, both with looks and occasional mannerisms

That's odd, I keep getting the strangest feeling of Deja Vu.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=650

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 08:07 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Jerky is amazing, somehow people think it's bad for you but it's ridiculously high in protein and almost completely fat free. The only addition I would say would be to get natural peanut butter. It's def not as good or salty but regular pb is pretty bad for you compared to the natural stuff. I'll try to think of some other things that are good eats...
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I got some Skippy Natural...no need to stir, so that's nice. There's some other natural pb that I've seen lots of people raving about on bodybuilding.com....was just trying to find the thread I was reading on it the other day but I can't. I forget exactly why, but the nutrition facts were even better than normal...higher protein I think, and they were saying Walmart has it. And yeah, I never realized how good for you jerky can be. The stuff I got at Trader Joe's was like entirely fat free and 11 g's of protein, and so damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That's odd, I keep getting the strangest feeling of Deja Vu.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=650
Hahaha, yeah..I wanted to post in that thread too, and when I started typing I realized I was repeating myself way too much...so just went with a copy and paste. But you had to blow my cover!

Don't any of you assbags agree with me about Shooter Mcgavin? If you don't now, you will.

Also, that black dude in the abs and yoga videos is a ****ing machine. Dude is ridiculous. And the chick next to him in the yoga is a freak of nature with the **** on the hamstring stretches where she's reaching waaaay past her foot and getting her hands around the yoga block. I made it all the way through the yoga this morning, and Forsberg Is Odin...you were right, second half is much more interesting. **** the Upward Dog...I'm ususally doin' the Cobra instead, haha...legs on the ground. And some of that stuff right at the end of the first half...christ, I can't even do some of it for more than a second or two.

Old
02-18-2010, 08:14 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Dude, the one position crane? ****ing impossible. And when you can get yourself into bridge for the first time, its unbelievable. Because you cant believe your doing this crazy ****.

Old
02-18-2010, 08:18 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Dude, the one position crane? ****ing impossible. And when you can get yourself into bridge for the first time, its unbelievable. Because you cant believe your doing this crazy ****.
Oh yeah, haha...the crane, I forgot about that one. I couldn't do that **** at all. I gave it a shot, but fell right over. I forget what the bridge was..that's right before the wheel I guess? I shocked myself and actually kind of did the wheel thing for a second or two, but then collapsed out of it. **** hurt my wrists.

Old
02-18-2010, 08:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Hahaha, yeah..I wanted to post in that thread too, and when I started typing I realized I was repeating myself way too much...so just went with a copy and paste. But you had to blow my cover!

Don't any of you assbags agree with me about Shooter Mcgavin? If you don't now, you will.

Also, that black dude in the abs and yoga videos is a ****ing machine. Dude is ridiculous. And the chick next to him in the yoga is a freak of nature with the **** on the hamstring stretches where she's reaching waaaay past her foot and getting her hands around the yoga block. I made it all the way through the yoga this morning, and Forsberg Is Odin...you were right, second half is much more interesting. **** the Upward Dog...I'm ususally doin' the Cobra instead, haha...legs on the ground. And some of that stuff right at the end of the first half...christ, I can't even do some of it for more than a second or two.
I almost wanted to pull what I did on Irish when he posted the same thing word for word in two different forums before, which was post the same reply twice.

BTW, the "strangest feeling of Deja Vu" line is from my second favorite Monty Python skit (First is Mr. Hilter).

I think the Downward Dog and such are necessary for the first half. By the time the second half rolled around my flexibility had definitely improved, so I think that's why I didn't think the second half was nearly as hard as the first (outside of minor balance issues). Note I skipped the one where you kind of go into a handstand with your knees in at your chest. No chance I can pull that one off, I know my limits.

I'm thinking I may invest in Yoga Blocks...

Old
02-18-2010, 09:34 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

I bought a yoga block right after I realized im inflexible as ****. You only need one, it helps A LOT

They are like 5 bucks on amazon.

Old
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
You want to take I. Protein throughout the day. Your body is always heeling and building after a workout. You want to get your shake in post workout with 25-20 grams of protein. Any more is a waste IMO. It's important to get that protein in as quick as possible after the workout because your body is recovering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why do you think that any more than that is a waste? Do you think any more than 20-25 grams of protein in any one meal is a waste, or are you specifically referring to a post workout shake?

The whole topic of how much protein to take at one time is obviously a highly controversial one. There are so many different opinions. One thing that seems agreed upon is that no body is capable of processing more than 35 g's of protein in an hour. The thing that is unclear to me after knowing that though is....does that just mean it's a waste to have more than 35 g's in one meal? Or rather, does it mean you could have as much as 70 g's if you're not going to be eating for another two hours? Ya know? I don't really get it.

From all the different stuff I've read(this one being a big contributor, http://jasonferruggia.com/the-high-p...exposed-again/), I've decided to try and get around 35 g's per meal in about 6 meals, which comes out to about 210 for the day. The most widely accepted practice for a bulking diet seems to be 1-1.5 g's of protein per lb of bodyweight per day...with most people coming closer to 1.5 g's. That 210 number for me falls into the low end of that range, but it's in there nonetheless. I figure I'll give myself a few weeks on this diet, and if I'm unhappy then I'll tweak it.

Old
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Why do you think that any more than that is a waste? Do you think any more than 20-25 grams of protein in any one meal is a waste, or are you specifically referring to a post workout shake?

The whole topic of how much protein to take at one time is obviously a highly controversial one. There are so many different opinions. One thing that seems agreed upon is that no body is capable of processing more than 35 g's of protein in an hour. The thing that is unclear to me after knowing that though is....does that just mean it's a waste to have more than 35 g's in one meal? Or rather, does it mean you could have as much as 70 g's if you're not going to be eating for another two hours? Ya know? I don't really get it.

From all the different stuff I've read(this one being a big contributor, http://jasonferruggia.com/the-high-p...exposed-again/), I've decided to try and get around 35 g's per meal in about 6 meals, which comes out to about 210 for the day. The most widely accepted practice for a bulking diet seems to be 1-1.5 g's of protein per lb of bodyweight per day...with most people coming closer to 1.5 g's. That 210 number for me falls into the low end of that range, but it's in there nonetheless. I figure I'll give myself a few weeks on this diet, and if I'm unhappy then I'll tweak it.
sorry about that, reaponding on an iPhone is a guarenteed typo. I meant 25-30 grams. The reason I say any more is a waste is because whey protein is very quick digesting (except casein) and like you said your body can only digest 35 grams or so of protein an hour and you post workout shake will be digested even faster than that which means anything it cannot digest you will just end up ****ing out. I prefer to mix my post workout shake to have 25 grams of regular whey and another 20 of casein since after I workout (early am) I don't eat again for another 3-4 hours so it keeps a steady flow of protein in me while I'm not eating and my body builds muscle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 07:27 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Claude,

Can you help explain how the nutrition guide works? Do I have to stick to the diet plan? That seems impossible with my work schedule...is there a way to determine serving amounts of each group (Protein, Carbs, etc) based on the Nutrition Facts on the stuff I eat?

I've been on my own just counting calories.

Old
02-19-2010, 07:58 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Claude,

Can you help explain how the nutrition guide works? Do I have to stick to the diet plan? That seems impossible with my work schedule...is there a way to determine serving amounts of each group (Protein, Carbs, etc) based on the Nutrition Facts on the stuff I eat?

nutrition guide = waste of time. Plus, aren't you skinny anyways? I dont feel like opening facebook.

If your skinny and working out, the point must be to get bigger, no?

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
nutrition guide = waste of time. Plus, aren't you skinny anyways? I dont feel like opening facebook.

If your skinny and working out, the point must be to get bigger, no?
Fat? No. Skinny? No.

I weigh 185 lbs at 6'0". I'm not a twig, but I'm not a blob either. I'm looking to get "rip" or just lean. I did a rough calculator for my body fat% online and it came to 15.6%. Which the P90X nutrition guide says his fit, but that's about it. I'd like to drop that fat% and get down to 165-170 lbs where I was a year ago when I played non-stop hockey. I definitely feel like I'm lagging at 185 when I play, I don't know if it's the added weight or the fact that my current job is harder than my last job, so I'm more exhausted when I come home.

It's more or less clearing up the pudge I have around the stomach area. I've always had a stomach and for once in my life I'd like to be fit enough to see a six pack.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:14 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Fat? No. Skinny? No.

I weigh 185 lbs at 6'0". I'm not a twig, but I'm not a blob either. I'm looking to get "rip" or just lean. I did a rough calculator for my body fat% online and it came to 15.6%. Which the P90X nutrition guide says his fit, but that's about it. I'd like to drop that fat% and get down to 165-170 lbs where I was a year ago when I played non-stop hockey. I definitely feel like I'm lagging at 185 when I play, I don't know if it's the added weight or the fact that my current job is harder than my last job, so I'm more exhausted when I come home.

It's more or less clearing up the pudge I have around the stomach area. I've always had a stomach and for once in my life I'd like to be fit enough to see a six pack.
shrug 185 pounds at 6'0 sounds good to me. I'm 160-165 at 5'7. about 9% body fat. So for 5 more inches of height, 20 pounds sounds perfect, imo.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Opus

I'm toit like a tiger.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 09:35 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Claude,

Well, to be honest, I didn't read much of the nutrition guide. I kind of scanned the first twenty pages or so...but it's like 140 pages or something, don't ask me what the hell is all in it. But anyway, what you could do if you'd like to try and mimic the guide with less effort, is use the ratios they provide. I did see that part, and it looked like this...

Month 1, 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats
Month 2, 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats
Month 3, 20% protein, 60% carbs, 20% fats

You could just try and follow those ratios if you wanted, and basically ignore all that stuff with the colored blocks and their serving amounts of each category. Then you just have to figure out how many calories to eat per day. There seems to be a number of mathematic methods for determining what your caloric intake should be dependent on your individual traits and goals. They'd be easy to find with a quick google search I'm sure, but what you could do if you want to really keep things simple is...

It seems to be a pretty general consensus that the average person needs to take in 15 x their body weight in calories per day to maintain their current weight. For someone who wants to gain, the common thing is to do 18-20 x their body weight...I'm doing about 18x. For someone looking to lose weight, 12 x their body weight seems pretty common.

So, if you're looking to shed some pounds, and you for instance weigh 200 lbs, you'd be looking at 200 x 12 = 2,400 calories per day

Beyond that, from the info I've come across, it kind of surprisingly seems to me that a diet for someone looking to lose weight isn't all that different from someone looking to gain...just less calories(basically less carbs, and less fat...generally same foods though). If you want to lose fat and build lean mass, you should ideally be eating "clean" so to speak. If you don't know what I mean by "clean", I can be more specific about foods, and the best proteins and fats and complex carbs and all that jazz. But yeah, even though you're trying to lose, I'd say you should still be eating at least 6 meals per day.

And actually, just to throw this out there...I wouldn't follow that 3-month ratio switch that P90x lays out. First of all, that first month, is 50% protein. On 2,400 cals for instance, you're looking at 1,200 cals of protein, which is 300 grams of protein, which is a **** ton of protein! It's tough to get that in in one day, and I've read a lot of material suggesting no one need bother going much over 200 g's of protein per day. If I were you, or let's say if I was 200 pounds and looking to take in 2,400 cals per day, I'd go with a ratio of something like...35% protein, 40% carbs, 25% fat. If you'd be okay with lowering that fat to 20%, maybe bump up the carbs or protein some.

I hope this **** doesn't sound confusing, I was trying to keep it simple and feel like I'm rambling a bit now. This stuff is actually really simple though, and in case you're unaware...(Each gram of protein = 4 calories, each gram of carbs = 4 calories, and each gram of fat = 9 calories). So, it's all simple once you know that. For instance, if you did 35-40-25 on 2,400 cals, you're looking at 210 grams of protein, 240 grams of carbs, and about 70 grams of fat.

Divide that by 6 meals per day(your meals of course don't have to be perfectly equal, but just for the sake of demonstration...), and you've got 35 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs, and 11-12 grams of fat. Don't be afraid of fats, you want them...you just want "good" fats(peanut butter, nuts in general, avocado, olive oil, etc.). Basically try to eliminate saturated fats for the most part.

Damn, I got long winded here...hope it didn't sound complicated, I swear it can be really simple. What has been the most shocking thing to me about this stuff is how easy it can be to eat really well with just a bit of effort and a changing of your mindset/attitude.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Fat? No. Skinny? No.

Ha, that's pretty funny, I'm close to the weight you want, yet I'm looking to gain. And you're close to the weight I want, yet you're looking to lose. 185 at 6'0 sounds great to me, 190 sounds even better. But of course I'm talking about a certain amount of muscle and body fat, and if you're not happy enough with yours, do what you gotta do.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:47 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

I've been trying to find a realistic and sustainable diet plan for a while. I do karate 3-4 times a week and the problem I've had is finding the right balance between protein and carbs. Too much emphasis on protein seems to reduce my endurance while training, although strength improves, while too many carbs slows my recovery.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone using the P90x system has noticed improvements in their workouts...?

bungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I've been trying to find a realistic and sustainable diet plan for a while. I do karate 3-4 times a week and the problem I've had is finding the right balance between protein and carbs. Too much emphasis on protein seems to reduce my endurance while training, although strength improves, while too many carbs slows my recovery.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone using the P90x system has noticed improvements in their workouts...?
Unfortunately, I can't help you...but I am curious about what you said. I've seen people say things similar, but I never completely understand...is it something you notice on a day-to-day basis, week-to-week, month-to-month? Like, if you have more or less protein/carbs on a particular day you notice it? Or if you're having the same amount for a week, or weeks, or a month? Get what I'm asking?

And what are some of the balances of proteins/carbs that you have experimented with?

Old
02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:

youtube search. p90x. It all depends on what your looking for. If your a "weightlifter" and can actually call yourself that, then p90x wont do much for you. If your just getting into the "weightlifting" part of fitness, it will be very good for you to gain some lean muscle.

Old
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't help you...but I am curious about what you said. I've seen people say things similar, but I never completely understand...is it something you notice on a day-to-day basis, week-to-week, month-to-month? Like, if you have more or less protein/carbs on a particular day you notice it? Or if you're having the same amount for a week, or weeks, or a month? Get what I'm asking?

And what are some of the balances of proteins/carbs that you have experimented with?
Generally speaking I've never been too focused on diet - I just make sure not to eat total crap all the time - but the few times that I have gotten into calculating percentages for carbs/protein etc I did notice differences quite quickly.

For starters, I tried a diet once that was very heavy on protein. Low stances, squats, push ups, sit ups etc were noticeably easier for me after 3-4 days on this diet. However, I was running out of gas after about half an hour of training. Likewise, when I tried something that was heavier on carbs (good ones) I found myself with more energy reserves but my strength seemed to lessen.

It's a way complicated subject, and so many people have differing opinions too which makes it harder to figure out. A lot of people associate carbs with weight gain because carbs=energy and if that energy doesn't get used the body will store it as fat. Protein doesn't have that problem, which is why people looking to get lean/ripped go high on protein.

I think.

Old
02-19-2010, 11:01 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
youtube search. p90x. It all depends on what your looking for. If your a "weightlifter" and can actually call yourself that, then p90x wont do much for you. If your just getting into the "weightlifting" part of fitness, it will be very good for you to gain some lean muscle.
Yeah I did a bit of Googling on it after my initial post. I guess maybe with the exception of the first phase the diet might be pretty good for me personally.

My problem isn't so much the concepts as finding decent recipes to put them into practice.

Old
02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Yeah I did a bit of Googling on it after my initial post. I guess maybe with the exception of the first phase the diet might be pretty good for me personally.

My problem isn't so much the concepts as finding decent recipes to put them into practice.
Same here. You get tired of eating chicken, brown rice, and a veggie every night for dinner.

The thing about carbs/protein ratio is that every person is different and processes them differently. The best thing to do is to try different ways yourself and figure out which setup works best for you.

Old
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I guess maybe I'm in the minority with my thinking of how easy the dieting can be. It'll be tough for me to get sick of chicken, so I guess that's a big part of it. But I can just cook up a bunch of it in some olive oil and some seasonings and then have it for the week....make a lot of sandwiches on Arnold's whole grain bread(really good) with it. And there's so many different kinds of spreads you can find if you really look. I have like 4 different kinds of awesome mustard in the fridge right now, haha. And then there's tuna, I like tuna a lot. I have eggs and potatoes in the morning, love that. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey Protein, Chocolate flavor. That **** is delicious, and I'm a picky ***** about that kind of stuff. Don't even need a blender, put it in a shaker with a cup of milk...and it's a smooth, delicious chocolate milk. And it's funny, I used that stuff a couple years ago for a stretch of time(when I knew ridiculously little about exercise and nutrition outside of the fact that Whey protein was a great supplement)...and at the time, I viewed it as this extra expense that I didn't really want to spend the money on. The 5lb tub(70 some servings) of the stuff I get is 40 bucks. I always hated spending that extra 40 bucks on it...but I've come to realize now, that if I'm using it as a meal replacement, which is essentially what I'm doing, it's basically the cheapest option I have. If I weren't drinking the Whey, I'd have to be having protein in some other form, which would cost more. So, if anything, it's saving me money. The Whey is almost 50 cents per serving when you think about it. Not to mention that it's so great at certain times of the day when you're in a hurry and/or don't have a huge appetite. And I understand you can get Whey a good deal cheaper than I do at Costco or BJ's or the like...I'm not certain how good their stuff tastes though.