HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers blockbuster in the works?

Old
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Rangers blockbuster in the works?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

From ESPN this morning, quoting the Fourth Period as its source:

Quote:
Rangers scout Rick Kehoe and former Minnesota Wild GM Doug Risebrough, a Rangers consultant, watched the Oilers play last week -- possibly eying Souray. The Rangers may also be interested in Andrew Cogliano.
Quote:
any trade involving Souray would have to include several players with big contracts, since Souray's cap hit is $5.4 million. The Rangers would love to rid themselves of Michal Rozsival ($5 million) or Wade Redden ($6.5 million) but it's unlikely the Oilers would take them off their hands in their rebuilding period. The Rangers may also shop F Brandon Dubinsky.
We've seen speculation about the pieces mentioned here, but this is the first time I've seen a specific rumor. It's also the first time I've heard that Kehoe and Risebrough were scouting the Oil.

As much as NESN - er, I mean ESPN, loves to hate on all NY teams, I find it hard to believe that they think we could take on Souray withOUT moving Rozsie or Redden. (Especially since I don't thnk Rozsie's contract is really all that bad heading into the upcoming offseason - from Edmonton's point of view, it'd be much preferable to Souray's.) I mean, what other contracts do they expect us to send back to offset Souray's cap hit...? Have they even looked at our roster & cap situation?

However, if we take it at face value and assume that some combination of Voros, Brashear and spare parts could be added to the young players EDM wants in order to make the numbers work, this sounds like exactly the sort of trade I DON'T want to see. Can you imagine $17MM tied up in three underperforming defensemen for the next 2+ years?

There's only one scenario that really makes sense to me (if there's any truth to the rumor at all, that is): Redden + Dubinsky for Souray + Cogliano. I'd have to think long and hard about that one. Dubinsky's the best player in the deal, but getting out from under Redden's contract is very tempting and Cogliano's not exactly chopped liver. However, when all's said and done, I think I'd rather just bury Redden at HFD.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Anyone other than Redden for Souray would be ********.

Rozsival is much better and has a much better contract than Souray.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

From ESPN this morning, quoting the Fourth Period as its source:

We've seen speculation about the pieces mentioned here, but this is the first time I've seen a specific rumor. It's also the first time I've heard that Kehoe and Risebrough were scouting the Oil.

As much as NESN - er, I mean ESPN, loves to hate on all NY teams, I find it hard to believe that they think we could take on Souray withOUT moving Rozsie or Redden. (Especially since I don't thnk Rozsie's contract is really all that bad heading into the upcoming offseason - from Edmonton's point of view, it'd be much preferable to Souray's.) I mean, what other contracts do they expect us to send back to offset Souray's cap hit...? Have they even looked at our roster & cap situation?

However, if we take it at face value and assume that some combination of Voros, Brashear and spare parts could be added to the young players EDM wants in order to make the numbers work, this sounds like exactly the sort of trade I DON'T want to see. Can you imagine $17MM tied up in three underperforming defensemen for the next 2+ years?

There's only one scenario that really makes sense to me (if there's any truth to the rumor at all, that is): Redden + Dubinsky for Souray + Cogliano. I'd have to think long and hard about that one. Dubinsky's the best player in the deal, but getting out from under Redden's contract is very tempting and Cogliano's not exactly chopped liver. However, when all's said and done, I think I'd rather just bury Redden at HFD.
This.

And I don't want Souray. Not all that interested in Cogliano either, especially in what would likely be a lateral deal.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Levitate

Isn't anything new at all, they've just combined a bunch of previous rumors.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Isn't anything new at all, they've just combined a bunch of previous rumors.
You could well be right - however, it's the first time I've seen it published as an actual rumor as opposed to speculation, so I thought it was worth posting.

Old
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
ThirdEye

The Souray rumors make make me want to vomit. Typical Sather move trying to rescue an underachieving player and hoping he magically regains form.

I would not give up Rozsival for him at this point. At least Rozsival has done something this season

We already got Jokinen to play the point. We don't need injury prone Souray and his 4 goals and -19

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:24 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
I'll take Souray if it means moving Redden. Not really interested in Cogliano, but I think we're going to have to give up something valuable if we make a Redden for Souray swap, and Cogliano may just be another piece coming back.

Something built around:

Redden, Dubinsky for Souray, Cogliano?

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could see that as something the Rangers are considering.

EDIT: I don't consider EPSN or TheFourthPeriod that credible for hockey rumors... and how can we have been eying Souray if he's not playing b/c he's hurt?

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
The Souray rumors make make me want to vomit. Typical Sather move trying to rescue an underachieving player and hoping he magically regains form.

I would not give up Rozsival for him at this point. At least Rozsival has done something this season

We already got Jokinen to play the point. We don't need injury prone Souray and his 4 goals and -19
Completely agreed. The ONLY way I would find it at all acceptable is if:

1) the Oilers take back one of our two worse contracts (Drury/Redden) OR

2) they take back Rozsival plus Brashear plus Voros OR

3) they take back Rozsival and add more assets (that number one pick would be nice ) coming our way...

Old
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

sorry to ask a question thats probably been answered before, but whats his contract look like?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
cancer

i think.. souray, gogliano and comrie NYR for redden, dubinsky and some prospect (b.saingunetti to edm

cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:31 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
sorry to ask a question thats probably been answered before, but whats his contract look like?
$5.4MM cap hit this and the next two years.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
tjs252

If Redden's going the otherway, yes, otherwise, no thanks.

Jokinen's transformed the PP, no need to try to fix it now. Let's find a scoring winger, not a flawed defenseman.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

It's been a said a million times that Edmonton has to get out from under their own cap problems and that they're not interested in taking on larger, or even similar, contracts.

ESPN, as usual, just late to the party on this one. There's almost no logical trade between these teams anyway.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Chalfdiggity3

think.. souray, gogliano and comrie NYR for redden, dubinsky and some prospect (b.saingunetti to edm

No offense but that would be an AWFUL trade of the rangers. redden can just as easily be buried in the minors. But regardless when you look at this, yes souray and redden both suck but sourays contract is 2-3 years less..but dubinsky is better than cogliano, comrie just sucks balls, and why the hell are we just throwing bobby sangs? we doing that for the hell of it. Hes going to be a solid nhl dman with a LOW cap hit.

If i was offered this deal id say no thanks n hangup the phone. Nobody on the oilers interests me except for their 1st round pick. If dubinsky wasnt given up for heatley what makes you think hell be traded for these scrubs?

Now if it was redden and a prospect of a lesser degree for souray then i would do it. Souray is atleast a servicable dman and has less years on his cap hit.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tontukkani View Post
i think.. souray, gogliano and comrie NYR for redden, dubinsky and some prospect (b.saingunetti to edm
as previously mentioned....horrid proposal.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Vitto79

I do think we will say a Ranger / Oil deal

But to get Souray is fine if Rozy is also moved. But if they could move Rozy and get the cap hit gone for next yr its better

I bet something like Souray, Moreau , Strudwick for Rozsival, Lisin, Voros goes down..........ranger add salary but it just seems like something they would do to shake up the roster

Moreau is one yr 2 million and Voros is 1 million so its not adding that much really

shake up for both teams. Oil save a few million in cap space

Last edited by Vitto79: 02-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Pizza

Another Ranger blockbuster rumor. What a shocker.

Hate to sound cynical, but the track record of success with blockbuster deals is pretty weak.

People are always hoping for the shiny new toy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Chalfdiggity3

i dont think we can add much more salary, if you take a look we have about 850,000 left under the cap. wed be adding to much salary. I wouldnt do that deal either, and i hope sather wont too. right now rosie is playing great hockey and Sourays contract doesnt come off till around the same time that Rosies does. so this trade does NOTHING but add unwanted cap space. Voros is gone after next year and brashear is already in the minor so who cares.

Old
02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
mullichicken25

i want no part in any of this

i actually got a little sick when I read the article

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Chalfdiggity3

I agree with you mulli, Edm is NOT a good trade partner for us, unless we are able to unload reddens contract for Sourays, while i know wed have to add a decent prospect like potter but it could be worth it to get outa that contract.

Otherwise this is a horrible idea. They should be finding ways to trade prospal, lisin, girardi(although if not asking of for alot of $, resign him) rosie, redden.. look to get back picks or solid young players to continue to rebuild within our core.. maybe if we compile enough good picks, we can package a couple of 2nd n our 1st for a top 3 pick

Old
02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Zil

How exactly is this a blockbuster? None of these guys are stars.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
How exactly is this a blockbuster? None of these guys are stars.
Cause the word 'blockbuster' will attract more fans than 'unspectacular', which is what this 'info' is.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:51 AM
pwoz

I'd rather take O'Sullivan over Cogs, but isn't he RFA?

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
But to get Souray is fine if Rozy is also moved.
It's really not. Rozsvial is a much better defensive player than Souray. I just don't think the Rangers can afford that big of a defensive downgrade.

Has everyone already forgotten about the Kotalik experiment? Tortorella couldn't make the PP work with a cannon on the point. Why invest more money and more years into the same exact strategy? I mean, let's be honest, you're only bringing in Souray for one reason.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

I don't understand this supposed obsession with Cogliano. The guy has regressed significantly.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote