HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Daly says NHL is willing to meet

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2005, 02:07 AM
  #1
struckmatch
Registered User
 
struckmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Daly says NHL is willing to meet

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...55&hubName=nhl

He says he'd be surprised if they didn't meet again this week.

struckmatch is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:11 AM
  #2
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,597
vCash: 500
theyve been willing to meet the whole time, willing to negotiate a deal the players would swallow, thats something else.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:14 AM
  #3
struckmatch
Registered User
 
struckmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
theyve been willing to meet the whole time, willing to negotiate a deal the players would swallow, thats something else.
That's true to an extent. The same can be said for the PA though, they have not tried to negotiate on cost certainty at any point in time.

struckmatch is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:20 AM
  #4
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...55&hubName=nhl

He says he'd be surprised if they didn't meet again this week.
And thus far it has been the players making the first move.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:21 AM
  #5
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch
That's true to an extent. The same can be said for the PA though, they have not tried to negotiate on cost certainty at any point in time.
Agreed.

However it seemsthe players are far more willing to negotiate than the owners...I just want something done at this point...

I want to start saying Go Leafs Go, again.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:27 AM
  #6
struckmatch
Registered User
 
struckmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Agreed.

However it seemsthe players are far more willing to negotiate than the owners...I just want something done at this point...

I want to start saying Go Leafs Go, again.

Exactly. Me too, thats exactly why I'm hoping the PA caves on cost certainty, because thats the only way something gets done. Whether they should, or shouldn't do that is another issue, whether the owners or the players are right is another issue.

It's not about blame anymore, it's not about taking sides, it's about seeing NHL hockey as soon as possible, and that happens with cost certainty being agreed upon by the PA ( which I think they are setting up to do might I add).

struckmatch is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:34 AM
  #7
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

I want to start saying Go Leafs Go, again.
Now i know why i don't really miss hockey

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 02:41 AM
  #8
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Agreed.

However it seemsthe players are far more willing to negotiate than the owners...I just want something done at this point...

I want to start saying Go Leafs Go, again.

I'm curious how players saying they will not negotiate any connection between revenue and salary can be considered "negotiating". I'm not saying the Owners are willing to move on what they are putting forward, but this opinion that the NHLPA are willing to negotiate is wrong. At least according to Trevor Linden, I mean Tom Benjamin, er... I mean... anyone on the players side.

quat is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 07:07 AM
  #9
X0ssbar
 
X0ssbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ...on a star!
Country: United States
Posts: 13,011
vCash: 500
Along the same lines - an a article from Damion Cox from the Star this morning:

"Ask yourself this question: Why did the NHL players' union, specifically Trevor Linden, seem at the very least neutral following a meeting with the league last Thursday, then appear utterly outraged 24 hours later with key members of the executive committee angrily declaring the season to be over?

Sounds a little strategic, wouldn't you say?

Given that rhetoric and bombast have dominated this entire process but never fail to have people believing it reflects the true state of negotiations, one shouldn't be surprised that the players delivered a staged gloom-and-doom message last Friday.

They then had all their carefully groomed media personnel echo that message over the past three days in the most strident terms possible.

But the fact is the players knew then and know today that they will be getting a new offer from the owners in the next 48 hours, and that this offer will likely reflect some of the common ground forged in the two-day session last week in Chicago and Toronto.

On Friday, the players were simply endeavouring to solicit the league's best offer with another round of chest-thumping.

They know they've lost. They just need an honourable way to save face."

link

X0ssbar is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 07:46 AM
  #10
RLC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
The NHL only offers cost certinity ( cap ) negotiable maybe but a cap it will be.
The players offer anything but a Cap. negotiable maybe but no cap it will be.

This is the problem. and everyone knows it.

Both side are willing to negoitate starting from their position, so any referance to " the other side not willing to negotiate is bunk.

Lindon gets teed-off that he calls a meeting and the NHL has not caved in.
DAAAAAAAAAAA. What did he expect ? He did not like what he heard at the meeting. DAAAAAAA. The NHL won't budge on the basic system.

He walked out of the meeting with a teed-off atitude, but this I would expect if he came away knowing 2 things. Their will not be a season if the players don't start negoitating the best cap for them. SO lose the season and maybe more or start negotiating. Wait untill next year and start negotiating.

The NHLPA has a losing hand in this poker game and the problem is both sides know it therefore bluffing wont work.

When you are in a losing situation you are the one that looks angre and frustrated.
When the cards are on the table and you see you only have 2 kings to the other guys 3 aces with only one more card to come ( you look angre and frustrated )

Do you pay to see that extra card ( season cancelled and try again next year).
Since you have already realized that you cant win not matter what.

In poker, you take the hit and hope that at the next hand it,s the other guy that holds bad cards. What you don't do is walk away to play at another table just because your opponant did not fold his 3 aces.

RLC is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 09:09 AM
  #11
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...55&hubName=nhl

He says he'd be surprised if they didn't meet again this week.

Ok..so why doesnt Daly go pick up his phone and call someone from the PA to schedule a meeting?

FLYLine24* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 10:00 AM
  #12
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Ok..so why doesnt Daly go pick up his phone and call someone from the PA to schedule a meeting?
patience, in the next 24-48 hrs we will hear of a meeting, I don't know if there's much point to it, but they will at least call...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
  #13
Egil
Registered User
 
Egil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
He did:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112470

Egil is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 01:28 PM
  #14
HckyFght*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HckyFght*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Agreed.

However it seemsthe players are far more willing to negotiate than the owners...I just want something done at this point...

I want to start saying Go Leafs Go, again.
The league was trying to get the players to the table for at least two years BEFORE the CBA expired. I would have liked them to attempt to get an impasse declared last Sept 16th. The union can make all the publicity gestures it wants, but they have at no time actually been willing to seriously negotiate.
-HckyFght!

HckyFght* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.