HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2/17/10 Are you watching women's Olympic hockey?

View Poll Results: Are you watching women's Olympic hockey?
Yes 30 37.04%
No 22 27.16%
Only the medal games 15 18.52%
if there is nothing else on 14 17.28%
the wife is making me 0 0%
they're on too early! 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
  #226
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Shinny. Say it with me.

Everest is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 11:42 PM
  #227
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Mmm... can you smell the lemon scent?


Giant Moo is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
  #228
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Mmm... can you smell the lemon scent?

Smells like.....victory.

Everest is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 12:02 AM
  #229
BlueBelle
Registered User
 
BlueBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: in a C of annoying
Posts: 7,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
You are a gem BB. I swear that if I was 20 years younger and wasn't madly in love with my wife I would move to Calgary.
ha ha! you know, it would be awesome if all of my work paid off with a date, with an Oilers fan no less oh well, in the meantime I will have to find other things in Calgary to entertain me.

BlueBelle is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
  #230
MDupont
 
MDupont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
ha ha! you know, it would be awesome if all of my work paid off with a date, with an Oilers fan no less oh well, in the meantime I will have to find other things in Calgary to entertain me.
I'm guessing you are in your twenties then?

MDupont is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 01:21 AM
  #231
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
Well, that was interesting. Watching two ex-mods go at each others throats. Both of whom gave me demerits too. Who wins the argument?

Let's re-hash shall we?

1)Fella has opinion that maybe womens hockey should be on hiatus until opposition gets better. Reasonable assumption.

2)Ha101 saying maybe they need more time to develop, like the men did. Reasonable.

3)Bunch of unreasonable banter to back up each assumption. Takes for ****ing ever to get to the point which was reached in post one.

4)theoil accuses Ha101 of being sexist, claiming himself to be better than any woman on the Olympic squad yet not having skated for 40 ****ing years, also he's doing this to protect the dummies. Unfortunately the dummy made better arguments against ha than he did.

5)HA in counterpoint acuses theoil of sexism.

6)theoil calls her a dummy. Talks gibberish which is supposed to be over our heads. Implies to be careful, he's a smart cat.

Giant Moo champions theoil because likely he's the PM'er feeding the frenzy.

Winner: Moo

Losers: All of us that read that crap.

EDIT: 7) oblivious fella from 1) hits on BB

Boilers* is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 01:27 AM
  #232
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Giant Moo champions theoil because likely he's the PM'er feeding the frenzy.

Winner:Moo
I didn't know I could "win", but thanks. I guess.

To be honest, I was skipping this thread in its entirety -- as I often do since the signal/noise ratio is so low here -- until someone pointed it out to me.

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 01:59 AM
  #233
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
If the best women's hockey player is the same skill level as a 14 year old boy, how was Hayley Wickenheiser able to play in a pro men's league?

Ol' Jase is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 02:09 AM
  #234
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
If the best women's hockey player is the same skill level as a 14 year old boy, how was Hayley Wickenheiser able to play in a pro men's league?
14 y/o would be a bit much...

... but the best woman ever played on third line of a division III team in Finland.

Pro, but...

PDO is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 02:10 AM
  #235
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Which is why women such as Hayley cannot be allowed to play against men because then the advantage works only one way and that means that men are disadvantaged by the setup.

So now I will tell you why I don't think your example works. The reason hockey was allowed into the Olympics is because in at least one country it was played to a level of excellence. I see no excellence in women's hockey as it is currently played. I haven't watched a game in about a year but the last time I did I was of the opinion that if I put on equipment and started playing with the Canadian or American woman's olympic team I would not be the worst player on the team by a long shot and I am 58 and haven't played hockey in close to 40 years.

And that, to answer BB's question, is why I am not watching woman's hockey at the olympics. It is just not good hockey and as an Oiler fan I consider myself qualified to comment on what bad hockey looks like.

Good night HA101. Always a pleasure.

Come on, man. You can't be serious.

Maybe you are, but you would be dead wrong.

Ol' Jase is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
  #236
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Well, that was interesting. Watching two ex-mods go at each others throats. Both of whom gave me demerits too. Who wins the argument?

Let's re-hash shall we?

1)Fella has opinion that maybe womens hockey should be on hiatus until opposition gets better. Reasonable assumption.

2)Ha101 saying maybe they need more time to develop, like the men did. Reasonable.

3)Bunch of unreasonable banter to back up each assumption. Takes for ****ing ever to get to the point which was reached in post one.

4)theoil accuses Ha101 of being sexist, claiming himself to be better than any woman on the Olympic squad yet not having skated for 40 ****ing years, also he's doing this to protect the dummies. Unfortunately the dummy made better arguments against ha than he did.

5)HA in counterpoint acuses theoil of sexism.

6)theoil calls her a dummy. Talks gibberish which is supposed to be over our heads. Implies to be careful, he's a smart cat.

Giant Moo champions theoil because likely he's the PM'er feeding the frenzy.

Winner: Moo

Losers: All of us that read that crap.

EDIT: 7) oblivious fella from 1) hits on BB
Hope that made you feel better. I can see why you got points from both of us though since obviously you can't read worth ****.

Let me guess. I gave you more points than HA.

theoil is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
  #237
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Come on, man. You can't be serious.

Maybe you are, but you would be dead wrong.
No, after the exchange I watched some of the American game on TV. I wouldn't be the worst player on that team.

theoil is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 11:44 AM
  #238
RKD
Registered User
 
RKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 500
Since there's clearly nothing to add to this thread except calling out other members, I'm going to close this one up so it doesn't turn hostile again (which it will). If you have an issue with another member, please keep it off the forums for everyone's benefit.

__________________
"How many Twix does that make for you today? Like eight Twix?!"
RKD is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.