HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers blockbuster in the works?

Old
02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Redden and Dubisnky for Cogliano and Souray would not be a terrible trade. I think that both Dubi and Cogliano appear to be 3rd line border line 2nd line players. I still am on the fence anout Dubi, he could become the player he shows glimpses off, and is still pretty young. Giving him up could be mistake. I would ask them to throw in a second round pick. Because honestly Redden although is overpaid is not like he is a laibility and Souray contract is just as big. Do i want Souray over Redden yes, but i am not sure were are gaining that much on that side, and Dubi and cogs i would think were losing.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:07 PM
pwoz

I wouldn't trade Dubi unless Anisimov was showing signs of a 1st line center and/or Grachev.. but thus far, they are overrated and we're weak at center.. at least we have a $7m 4th liner.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=EDM

I don't want anyone on that team.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Chalfdiggity3

sorry to break it down for you satrabyk, i know were all ranger fans here but come on, you can be serious with that trade idea! The only upgrade the rangers get on this deal is the 1mil cap space for 3 years then having souray off the books. otherwise this is a TERRIBLE TRADE!!

Dubinsky is better than cogs.. cogs has consistently regressed year after year. While yes dubinsky is a 2nd line center, but he plays with grit, heart, passion, and determination. he consistantly wins the puck down low and controls it to make a good offensive play. Plus he plays defense.

Souray isnt an upgrade over Redden, its a lateral move. The only thing we gain is capspace in 3 years.

If all you want is capspace then just bury reddens ass in the minors! Dubinsky is part of the core of this fanchise right now. And NO i wouldnt trade rosie for souray. Rosie has a less caphit than souray, and is alot better defensively, plus if he continues to play the way he has, hes actually worth his salary

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Rustingo12

Redden + Drury + Rozsival + Voros + Brashear for Gilbert + Strudwick + O'Sulliven + Nilsoon + Penner.

(Sigh) One can imagine.

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

I could just see them making a push for Cogliano or POS.

Souray: unless its for Redden, I do not want.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Block More Shots

Anything involving Dubi is a big NO. If he doesn't take a big step between now and next season, you can consider it. BUT, he's still young though and can put up 40-50 points. I know everyone wants guys that can put up 60+ points on this team, but a player like Dubi (a REAL team player) is a keeper.

I'd take Souray but not if it involves Dubi. Also, Rozy or preferably Redden would have to go the other way. Then again, I don't think the Oilers are that stupid to take on that kind of contract.

These are just rumors anyway. I'm fine with keeping the lineup we have with maybe a slight tweak on forward and defense. If we make any major moves we're gonna have to forfeit the future and I don't think Sather is about to do that. Despite the dumb moves he's made in the past, I think he's learned his lesson since the firesale in 2004.

Whether we add a key piece or not, it's all about coming to play every game. We can make the playoffs with our current roster if everyone does their job well enough.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
sorry to break it down for you satrabyk, i know were all ranger fans here but come on, you can be serious with that trade idea! The only upgrade the rangers get on this deal is the 1mil cap space for 3 years then having souray off the books. otherwise this is a TERRIBLE TRADE!!

Dubinsky is better than cogs.. cogs has consistently regressed year after year. While yes dubinsky is a 2nd line center, but he plays with grit, heart, passion, and determination. he consistantly wins the puck down low and controls it to make a good offensive play. Plus he plays defense.

Souray isnt an upgrade over Redden, its a lateral move. The only thing we gain is capspace in 3 years.

If all you want is capspace then just bury reddens ass in the minors! Dubinsky is part of the core of this fanchise right now. And NO i wouldnt trade rosie for souray. Rosie has a less caphit than souray, and is alot better defensively, plus if he continues to play the way he has, hes actually worth his salary
I think Souray is a definite upgrade over Redden. Neither are very good defensively at this point in their careers, but Souray can at least contribute offensively. He'll also drop the gloves and add a bit of snarl.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:38 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Souray is a definite upgrade over Redden. Neither are very good defensively at this point in their careers, but Souray can at least contribute offensively. He'll also drop the gloves and add a bit of snarl.
Agreed... and most importantly Redden is the worst contract in the NHL. Escaping from that contract might be worth the cost of Dubinsky for Cogliano.

Yes, sending Redden to Hartford would be preferable, but Sather hasn't been willing to pull that trigger, yet.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Anyone other than Redden for Souray would be ********.

Rozsival is much better and has a much better contract than Souray.
I don't want all three of them

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
blue2noise

If Sather passed on Heatley because he wouldn't give up Dubinsky and then trades him for yet another soft "offensive" defenseman, I might just burn the garden down myself.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:46 PM
JKDR1

forgive my ignorance but what happens exactly say, if we were to "bury Redden in Hartford" what happens to the contract etc? seriously, I hear alot about it but have no idea exactly what happens

JKDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDR1 View Post
forgive my ignorance but what happens exactly say, if we were to "bury Redden in Hartford" what happens to the contract etc? seriously, I hear alot about it but have no idea exactly what happens
If we sent him to Hartford, his contract would no longer count against our salary cap. We'd still be paying him based on the terms of his contract, but that money would be cleared from the cap to be used on other players. And for Redden, that would be an extra $6.5MM for us to spend.

Old
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Would love to acquire Cogliano and then swing him in a deal for horton/booth/weiss

Old
02-19-2010, 01:13 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
I could just see them making a push for Cogliano or POS.

Souray: unless its for Redden, I do not want.
As an Oilers fan I will tell you flat out that we will not take Redden. We have our own bad contract in Horc. I would be willing to trade Souray for Roz + but that is it. So, just so you know we will not take back Redden.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

However, when all's said and done, I think I'd rather just bury Redden at HFD.

a FANTASY.

Dolan isnt paying anyone 6 million dollars to play for the AHL team in Hartford.

Guy gets paid real money not monopoly money.

Its one thing for Sather to go to Dolan and say " look we made a mistake and this guy Redden isnt working out, I want to trade him but we may have to eat some of it. In the end it will be better for the roster, better for the payroll"

Its another thing to go in there and ask your boss to eat 6 million dollars on a guy that's basically been "ok" and get nothing of value from it.

Redden isnt a bust - he's just grossly over paid

This doesnt even take into account what Sather will have to deal with in his future negotiations with agents if he banishes Redden to the AHL.

02-19-2010, 01:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
a FANTASY.

Dolan isnt paying anyone 6 million dollars to play for the AHL team in Hartford.

Guy gets paid real money not monopoly money.

Its one thing for Sather to go to Dolan and say " look we made a mistake and this guy Redden isnt working out, I want to trade him but we may have to eat some of it. In the end it will be better for the roster, better for the payroll"

Its another thing to go in there and ask your boss to eat 6 million dollars on a guy that's basically been "ok" and get nothing of value from it.

Redden isnt a bust - he's just grossly over paid

This doesnt even take into account what Sather will have to deal with in his future negotiations with agents if he banishes Redden to the AHL.
Disagree.

We bought out Holik. Knicks have buried salary. There's direct evidence that cuts against your premise.

Old
02-19-2010, 01:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
As an Oilers fan I will tell you flat out that we will not take Redden.
Lol you may not have a choice. Might have to take Brashear or Voros too, so you better prepare yourself

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:27 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Phuck all that, I WANT PENNER (in any language, Penner means playoff force)
No Penner means bum in German

And I chime in with all the others: I only want Souray if it is for Redden and we aren't giving up key pieces (ie Dubi, Cally, top prospects, first round picks etc)

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Disagree.

We bought out Holik. Knicks have buried salary. There's direct evidence that cuts against your premise.
Holik was another era AND he didnt get sent to Hartford did he? Buyout Redden would be really awkward. Granted not as awkward as sending him to the AHL ....The NBA has different rules....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I wouldn't do Rozsival for Souray straight up.
I wouldn't do Dubinsky for Cogliano straight up.

Rozsival is a workhorse. He's missed a total of 10 Games over the last 5 years, averaging over 20 minutes a night. Against 1st and 2nd liners. He's also 2 years younger than Sheldon. Souray is the more skilled player, when he's healthy. But the guy is always banged up.

Dubinsky is a better hockey player than Cogs. Cogliano makes us smaller, and less physical. He's also being outscored by Dubinsky. Dubi has 16 more points than Cogs, in 6 less games.

This trade weakens us. I think it's complete bs too. It better be. . . . .

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
XLJ

I wouldn't trade Dubinsky especially in a deal that brings you back Cogliano and Souray . The rangers need to send Redden down to Hartford. In the offseason they should try to sign Volchenkov or Jurcina, both are better defensemen than Souray.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I wouldn't do Rozsival for Souray straight up.
I wouldn't do Dubinsky for Cogliano straight up.

Rozsival is a workhorse. He's missed a total of 10 Games over the last 5 years, averaging over 20 minutes a night. Against 1st and 2nd liners. He's also 2 years younger than Sheldon. Souray is the more skilled player, when he's healthy. But the guy is always banged up.

Dubinsky is a better hockey player than Cogs. Cogliano makes us smaller, and less physical. He's also being outscored by Dubinsky. Dubi has 16 more points than Cogs, in 6 less games.

This trade weakens us. I think it's complete bs too. It better be. . . . .
Agreed. I hope its bs too.

Old
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Holik was another era AND he didnt get sent to Hartford did he? Buyout Redden would be really awkward. Granted not as awkward as sending him to the AHL ....The NBA has different rules....
Holik was during the summer after the lockout. That's 4 years ago and not "a different era." Holik "had two seasons left on his deal at $6.726 million a year." The Rangers paid 2/3 of that to send him away.
That's also when NHL revenues (and the salary cap were much lower).

The cap coming out of the lockout (tied to revenue) was only $39 million. The Rangers paid Holik roughly $9 million to rid themselves of two years of Holik's contact.

4.5 / 39 million = 11.5% over the cap to rid themselves of Holik

The cap is now $58.6 million (again, that's tied directly to NHL revenue). Redden makes 6.5 per year.

6.5 / 58.6 million = 11.44% over the cap to hypothetically rid themselves of Redden.

Not a different era, and not very different dollar figures on a year-by-year basis. Yes, Redden has two more years on his deal than Holik had, but that's not exactly out of the ballpark.

Old
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Also keep in mind Holik's buyout was an amnesty buyout, so it didn't count against our cap. A buyout of Redden will count against the cap.

Old
02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Also keep in mind Holik's buyout was an amnesty buyout, so it didn't count against our cap. A buyout of Redden will count against the cap.
I'm referring to sending Redden to Hartford. That's why it would cost us 6.5 million per year. If we were buying him out it would actually only cost us 2/3 of his salary, and would account for a lower % of payroll spending than Holik.