HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tinted Visor

Old
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Tinted Visor

Sort of an off shoot of my other visor question. How much crap can one expect wearing a tinted visor? No mirror, just the grey tint.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
BlackAce*

Tons of crap coming your way with a tinted visor... Only D-Bags wear tints in rec/beer league hockey... I know I would be yapping the whole games at the "tint guy"

BlackAce* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Webernaut

You'd be grilled by me that is for sure. lol There is a guy that plays in my league who wears a mirror tint visor. I usually say something like "Come Ovie, what you got?" or "When do you go pro?" haha

Just a bad idea to get one. You're asking for trouble.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM
WVP

A lot unless you're putting up a bunch of point every game...........in the NHL.

Don't be that guy. Unless of course, you're already that guy.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:23 PM
noobman

Nothin' wrong with a grey tinted visor IMHO. If you're going for a wacky colour (red, orange, green, and I've even seen neon blue once) expect to take some heat unless you're a scoring machine, or just really really big.

There's this European guy I played pick up with a few times over the summer... he's about 6'4, easily 220 pounds, and by far the best hockey player I've ever shared the ice with. He has a yellow visor... and nobody says anything to him about it.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Webernaut

I think I am already "that guy" but I still don't go with the tint. lol

Old
02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
MJAYK

Lol. Oh well, you seem like a guy who really doesn't mind some mouthing so go ahead if you feel like it with the tinted visor.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:54 PM
stick9

Ok, definitly not "that guy". The reason I was thinking of going for the tint was purely optical. The rink I play the most at has crappy lighting. It's bright enough but when I look down the ice things get a little washed out. I also think the lighting messes with my depth perception, which can be a major issue when I play defense.

Old
02-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

youre definitely gonna get some ****

theres a few guys that have them in my league and they are mostly on the same team. no one likes that team and they suck so.....

theres a guy on that team with a tinted visor and lime green laces. guy gets chirped big time

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
jsykes

What's your reasoning for the tinted visor? If you have a good, legit reason to want one (such as an eye issue or sensitivity to the bright ice) then I say go for and screw what anyone might say to you. You know why and its a good reason, so do it.

If you just want to do it cause you want to be like Ovi, then you deserve every chirp you get.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:06 PM
xpat1313x

Send a message via AIM to xpat1313x Send a message via MSN to xpat1313x Send a message via Yahoo to xpat1313x
When I went to buy my last visor they were out of clear's so I got a tinted one. I've had it about a year and haven't gotten any crap about it, so i guess it dpends on the league.

xpat1313x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
jsykes

Thats true. Some guys just go out and play hockey and dont care what others are wearing. I like to pay attention to what people are using and wearing, but dont make any judgments about it as there are a lot of guys with older and less gear than me that will skate circles around me.

My league is pretty chill, most just go out and play and the only chirping has to do with how chippy or dickheaded someone might be playing.

Old
02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Frankie Spankie

Heh, you'd probably take some crap for it but they'll probably just be busting your chops. People care a lot more about the effort you put forward rather than how you look on the ice. If you're a lazy player, you better not get one. My team had a guy that was incredibly lazy, he'd take a knee in our zone to catch his breath when the puck is in the offensive zone rather than sit. One day he showed up with a mirror visor and we ripped him apart, stopped playing there within a month. But then again, we did have a lot of built up frustrations on him.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
stick9

I went with the tinted Pro Wave. I suspect I'll get some ribbing, but oh well.

Old
02-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I went with the tinted Pro Wave. I suspect I'll get some ribbing, but oh well.
Alright Ovi... What's next flames on your skates?

Old
02-19-2010, 06:33 PM
densetsu

I've only seen a handful of guys with tinted visors.

One of the guys at drop-in has the full Ovy getup. Crested uniform, pants, socks, gloves, mirror visor, etc. Who knows, he might even have the same stick. A friend of his has the same thing, only Semin.

However, these guys actually have good hands, so they don't get much flak.

Guys on bottom-barrel beer league teams? When things get chirpy, tinted visors are one of the first things that get brought up.

Unless (a) you're awesome, or (b) there's a medical reason, don't do it.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 06:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat1313x View Post
When I went to buy my last visor they were out of clear's so I got a tinted one. I've had it about a year and haven't gotten any crap about it, so i guess it dpends on the league.
I agree, I think it depends on where you play and what level of hockey. I use a tinted visor because I feel more relaxed without the bright lights, alway wear sunglasses during the day or I squint. Bottom line is it's your money, spend it on what you want.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 06:58 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I agree, I think it depends on where you play and what level of hockey. I use a tinted visor because I feel more relaxed without the bright lights, alway wear sunglasses during the day or I squint. Bottom line is it's your money, spend it on what you want.

yup, as long as you keep in mind you may get chirped

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:02 PM
CaptBrannigan

In my experience and observation, 100% of the guys who chirp about gear are open to it themselves through their play. If guys are that worried about your stuff then you already have an advantage over them. If you want it, go for it.

Just don't be a dick with it. There's plenty of people who act as dicks as it is and people will get plenty mad with dick + visor.

Bottom line, don't act like a goof and it shouldn't matter what you wear.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
In my experience and observation, 100% of the guys who chirp about gear are open to it themselves through their play. If guys are that worried about your stuff then you already have an advantage over them. If you want it, go for it.

Just don't be a dick with it. There's plenty of people who act as dicks as it is and people will get plenty mad with dick + visor.

Bottom line, don't act like a goof and it shouldn't matter what you wear.
Where you are from, they dont understand the point of a chirp.

Everyone on the ice is open to get beaked no matter what gear/skill etc they have. Tinted visors, golds laces, using xtra long laces to tie your pants, ov/crosby sweaters, # such as 99 and even guys using top end sticks just give guys extra "ammo" to beak you.

Its pretty simple, if you can handle the chirps wear whatever you want. If you cant handle getting beaked dont get gear that is "flashy"

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
yup, as long as you keep in mind you may get chirped
Being that my favorite player of all time was Esa Tikkanen it would be hypocritical of me to not want trash talking going on during games. My point is when I show up to the rink for my league games my goal is to leave with a win. I don't care if the other team is wearing sundresses or chrome helmets, they need to lose. If my mind is focused on some guy wearing #8 who has yellow laces, a ridiculous shoelace hanging from his pants and a mirrored visor I've already been beaten mentally. One thing I've learned in my 15+ years of playing rec hockey is there are a lot of mental midgets out there who can be manipulated easily for the betterment of my team. Take advantage of those guys, if it means dressing up like Ovechkin to get one of their better players ejected from the game then so be it.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 08:12 PM
jsykes

Ovi ruined yellow waxed laces for me. I was using them over 15 years ago and always have. When I started playing again this year, pulled out the old skates with yellow laces and wore them for one game and realized, ****, cause of Ovi I got to change these.

At least you're not asking about sunglasses. I play pickup (indoors) and there is one guy that always shows up and wears his red mirrored Oakley wraparound sunglasses under his full cage. They go nicely with his full Blackhawk uniform and his neck protector. He doesnt take the chirping well either.

Old
02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
stick9

A good spirited discussion...I love it!

If people are gonna yap I saw bring it on. I can give as good as I get. You should hear me yapping with the BC kid when I wear my BU jersey. We did agree once that we wouldn't be passing to the kid in the Michigan jersey....LOL.

I honestly bought it for two reasons. First I was gonna get a visor anyway, but wasn't sure if I would keep it on. I thought a tinted visor would be easier to sell if I went back to the cage. Second, as I said ealier in the thread. I'm hoping the tint adds some clarity and helps with my depth perception. I don't wear contacts, and I don't plan on wearing my glasses on the ice.

Old
02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
qwertysac

Been wearing one for two years now, if not more.

I play 3-4 times a week in a bunch of different leagues and i've never, NOT even one time heard anybody say anything to me about it.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Semin

Hey if you can handle getting chirped then go for it. Like the one guy said its your money.

Every couple of Saturday's my friend and I play hockey with his cousin and his friends. It's usually late game like midnight. And its just for fun. But some guys take it pretty serious , when I play I just like to set up the other guys who don't play as much hockey as me. It's not like these guys suck or anything, but I decided to wear my Ovechkin jersey and man did I get chirped when we were warming up and goofing around before we started, but they stopped when I scored 3 goals within the first 10 minutes of the game. So if you want the visor go for it. Make sure to update us letting us know if you got chirped or not.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote