HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bring back Jagr?

Old
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
czechmate25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Jagr wasn't a "world class player" when he left NY, and he isn't a world class player now either.

Jagr was leading the playoffs in scoring when we were eliminated. Jagr left the NHL as the best player in the playoffs statisticlly.

If Sather didn't screw up by signing two bums to outragous contracts in july of 07 and opted for a guy like Robert Lang instead, Jagr would have been an 80 plus point scorer his last year here......which in turn, would have meant that he still would have been on the team for the reduced cap hit.

.....and to those saying he wanted too much money.....you do realize that after Jagr was "let go", Slats signed redden for 6 million over 6 years! Think about that. Who in their right mind wouldn't have rather had Jags for 2 years at 6 million instead?

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
you do realize that after Jagr was "let go", Slats signed redden for 6 million over 6 years! Think about that. Who in their right mind wouldn't have rather had Jags for 2 years at 6 million instead?
No matter how you slice it, this makes me throw up. Worst GM in hockey

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Tell you what, most of us are going based on the jagr that we saw play in Russia's first game. That Jagr looked like a player who could score 25 goals 70 points again.

We do need to see how the rest of the tournament goes, but the people that simply deny any interest in a cheap Jagr deal are absurd.
Then you can call me absurd.

I dont mind, really.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Tell you what, most of us are going based on the jagr that we saw play in Russia's first game. That Jagr looked like a player who could score 25 goals 70 points again.

We do need to see how the rest of the tournament goes, but the people that simply deny any interest in a cheap Jagr deal are absurd.
He's numbers have declined every year since he had his record setting season here. He's not a PPG player in a lesser league playing in fewer games. And he was a guy who had to pace himself here so he had something left in the tank for the playoffs.

So what do you want to pay him?

02-19-2010, 02:37 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's numbers have declined every year since he had his record setting season here. He's not a PPG player in a lesser league playing in fewer games. And he was a guy who had to pace himself here so he had something left in the tank for the playoffs.

This arguement doesn't hold that much water considering the KHL plays on the bigger ice surface which caters to the younger speedy player. At 38 years old, he can no longer skate the way he did 15 years ago. Playing on a smaller ice surface would most likely benefit him at this stage of his career.

Moreover, I also think he'd benefit not being the "go to guy" for his team EVERYNIGHT. Not saying that would be the case here considering the team currently assembled but playing behind Gabby would be a win win for the organization. Look at how well Gabs was playing early on in the year.....lately, his numbers have slipped a little. Why? Because teams can focus solely on him......with jags on board, opposing teams would have to decide which line to concentrate on.....thus, opening up space for the other.

The last part of this quoted post is the funniest. You say that he paced himself so he had something left in the tank for the playoffs. Do you remember the playoffs that year? Jagr was the only player on the team that had ANYTHING! He was by far our best player.......you act like he dogged it all year and the team missed the playoffs. Jagr knows his body better than anyone and he knew what he had to do to be effective during the time of year that matters. To bad he didn't have any help from the so called "superstars" brought in as the future of the team....if so, we might have went somewhere that year.

Old
02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
eco's bones

NHL is a longer season than the KHL and Jaromir's last year in the NHL he kind of paced himself throughout the regular season--and turned it on in the playoffs. I'd be interested in bringing Jaromir back but it would be a year at a time and it would have to be at least somewhat affordable--$4 mil max. I don't think he's going to be the go to guy like he once was. Anyway that's what we have Gaborik for. I think he would help the pwp--maybe even Rozsival would become a decent threat at the point again. I could see him working well with MDZ and Gaborik. And he and Dubinsky would probably do well together. And he and Avery and Lundqvist used to get along well too--which is to say I'm not sure I agree with those who think he'd be divisive in the locker room.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
This arguement doesn't hold that much water considering the KHL plays on the bigger ice surface which caters to the younger speedy player. At 38 years old, he can no longer skate the way he did 15 years ago. Playing on a smaller ice surface would most likely benefit him at this stage of his career.
That doesn't explain why he wasn't a PPG player in the NHL. And when the level of competition is less than it was in the NHL and there are fewer games to play in the KHL. If anything, the bigger ice surface should help as defensemen aren't as close to him as they would be in the NHL.

Quote:
Moreover, I also think he'd benefit not being the "go to guy" for his team EVERYNIGHT. Not saying that would be the case here considering the team currently assembled but playing behind Gabby would be a win win for the organization. Look at how well Gabs was playing early on in the year.....lately, his numbers have slipped a little. Why? Because teams can focus solely on him......with jags on board, opposing teams would have to decide which line to concentrate on.....thus, opening up space for the other.
The question is whether Jagr wants to be paid as the go-to guy. He's never been known to leave money on the table.

Quote:
The last part of this quoted post is the funniest. You say that he paced himself so he had something left in the tank for the playoffs. Do you remember the playoffs that year? Jagr was the only player on the team that had ANYTHING! He was by far our best player.......you act like he dogged it all year and the team missed the playoffs. Jagr knows his body better than anyone and he knew what he had to do to be effective during the time of year that matters. To bad he didn't have any help from the so called "superstars" brought in as the future of the team....if so, we might have went somewhere that year.
Glad you found it funny. It would have been hysterical if they had failed to make the playoffs. Boy would there have been egg on Jags' face!

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

We paid Brashear 1.4 mil, Voros 1 mil.

I am advocating a one year, 1.5-2 million dollar offer with bonuses.

That is a risk worth taking. Low risk, moderate reward, especially if neither Grachev or Weise are ready to step into a top 9 role next year.

Hang with me for a second, because I am about to blow your mind.

Aver(1.9)-Christensen(1)-Gaborik(7.5)
Kovalchuk(9.5)-Anisimov(.822)-Callahan(2.4)
Drury(7.05)-Dubinsky(1.85)-Jagr(1.5)
Byers(.65)-Boyle(.65)-Voros/Weise(1)

Rozsival(5) Staal(2.2)
Girardi(2) Del Zotto (1)
Sanguinetti/Sauer (.855)-Gilroy(1.75)

Lundqvist (6.875)
Johnson (.85)

That totals 56.4 million, excluding Brashear's salary. Tell me you wouldnt like this lineup.

Disclaimer; I have said before I highly doubt Jagr would want to come back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

That is a risk worth taking. Low risk, moderate reward, especially if neither Grachev or Weise are ready to step into a top 9 role next year.

Rozsival(5) Staal(2.2)
Girardi(2) Del Zotto (1)

Lundqvist (6.875)
Johnson (.85)

That totals 56.4 million, excluding Brashear's salary. Tell me you wouldnt like this lineup.

if there was any shot whatsoever of that being a reality i'd be all over it

its a shame that its pure fantasy

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Davisian

Turn the frakkin page..

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:

Rozsival(5) Staal(2.2)
Girardi(2) Del Zotto (1)

Lundqvist (6.875)
Johnson (.85)

IFFFFFF this lineup ever existed, it would just be an insanely stacked team and an instant favorite to win the cup....that said...this is the NYR so even if we did somehow make all that happen wed still get bumped out before the conf finals haha.

I personally would love to have Jags back even if he does end up being a third liner regardless of whether we get Kovalchuk just for nostalgic purposes, and of course if it's at the right cost

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Rozsival(5) Staal(2.2)
Girardi(2) Del Zotto (1)

Lundqvist (6.875)
Johnson (.85)
Wheres Redden?

Old
02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
IFFFFFF this lineup ever existed, it would just be an insanely stacked team and an instant favorite to win the cup..
Really?

Avery and Christensen on the first line?

And that defense still is suspect, even if the majority are homegrown.

Old
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Really?

Its not a "first line' persay, its a Gaborik line. Built on support an balance, not overwhelming force.

Old
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Really?

Well it's about how the lines work more than the actual people on it. Having three lines with Gabs, Kovy, and Jagr seperate would be a huge advantage. The other team would have to focus on one, maybe 2, of these lines still leaving a third one to face the weaker d and their checking forwards.

Look at the caps, their D isn't exactly spectacular but as long as they keep scoring more goals than the other team they get by with their offense. We have a better overall D than the caps and could possibly match their level of offense. Also Kovy, Gabs, and Jagr on the same PP could be insane or even seperating them can create 2 good pp units.

It's all a pipedream anyway so yeahh lol

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Wow, Im shocked at the response here, i gotta be honest.

We are talking about a 39 year old forward here next year. One that has stated himself that he is not a superstar anymore. So if you don't plan on using him in a prominent role, what exactly is he good for then? 3rd line minutes? God knows the Rangers have a plethora of those players. He'll just be another redundant underachieving veteran on an already flawed team.

Let Pitt have him for all I care...
im shocked that so many people dont want him back. for 2 mil a year he is a steal. the rangers might have a plethora of 3rd line players but they dont have many playoff monsters like jagr. he put up insane numbers against the devils and the penguins, teams that havent changed much in 2 years. a 38 year old jagr is still better than most 2nd and 3rd liners. jagr doesnt answer all the problems the team has but signing him cheap only helps.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Couldnt disagree more.

There are smaller players in that league, yes. There are bigger players in the NHL. Much bigger. So if what your saying is true, then Jagr will have almost twice less space to maneuver around on NHL ice. His game is protecting the puck and working off the boards, less space in the NHL is going to hurt his game compared to the larger ice surface in the KHL.

And he'll be 39 a year from now to boot. Watching the guy play well in one international contest just doesnt do it for me, sorry.

Old
02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Its not a "first line' persay, its a Gaborik line. Built on support an balance, not overwhelming force.
ITs not terrible by any means, I mean hey how can you bash a roster that boasts Gaborik and Kovy. I think at that point you can pretty much pencil in anyone else around them...

Except Jagr of course...

Old
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
ITs not terrible by any means, I mean hey how can you bash a roster that boasts Gaborik and Kovy. I think at that point you can pretty much pencil in anyone else around them...

Except Jagr of course...

Its based on the idea that ive drawn up that roster before, and it lacks a third line RW. While Jagr only got 70 points his last year here, can you imagine the puck dominance of a third line with Jagr and Dubinsky?

Old
02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
polako

Quote:
Jagr was leading the playoffs in scoring when we were eliminated. Jagr left the NHL as the best player in the playoffs statisticlly.

If Sather didn't screw up by signing two bums to outragous contracts in july of 07 and opted for a guy like Robert Lang instead, Jagr would have been an 80 plus point scorer his last year here......which in turn, would have meant that he still would have been on the team for the reduced cap hit.

.....and to those saying he wanted too much money.....you do realize that after Jagr was "let go", Slats signed redden for 6 million over 6 years! Think about that. Who in their right mind wouldn't have rather had Jags for 2 years at 6 million instead?
Great post; second paragraph says it all. Unfortunately, on these boards, if you're not 22 years old and a PPG player, you're worthless.

I'd personally lay out the welcome mat for Jagr to return, if Dubinsky, Henrik, and Gaborik don't beat me to it. But, even someone with NYR-blinders on like I have can realize that Pitt is a better destination for him at this point. It'll certainly be hard seeing him smiling in that goal celebration with Crosby and Malkin, though.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 06:09 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Great post; second paragraph says it all. Unfortunately, on these boards, if you're not 22 years old and a PPG player, you're worthless.

I'd personally lay out the welcome mat for Jagr to return, if Dubinsky, Henrik, and Gaborik don't beat me to it. But, even someone with NYR-blinders on like I have can realize that Pitt is a better destination for him at this point. It'll certainly be hard seeing him smiling in that goal celebration with Crosby and Malkin, though.

Seriously. People on this board actually think there's a "future"...Like as if them talking about it and hoping for it means it will actually exist.

All of us who want Jagr back and support moves that might make the team actually fun to watch and competitive are the albatross because we are supporting moves that are detrimental for our farcical "future"...

I think it's funny that those types of posters always seem so holier than the rest of us when it's really them who should have their heads examined.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Rozsival(5) Staal(2.2)
Girardi(2) Del Zotto (1)

Lundqvist (6.875)
Johnson (.85)

How could you not reunite the Avery/Dubi/Jagr line? When the Rangers were playing their best hockey in 2007-8, that line was together. I'll never understand why Renney broke up the lines that had the most chemistry, just to put Straka with Jagr. They were never the same again that season.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:44 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Quote:

Rozsival(5) Staal(2.2)
Girardi(2) Del Zotto (1)

Lundqvist (6.875)
Johnson (.85)

Gee lets have the softess team in the league AGAIN!! No thanks..We would be pusged around like rag dolls.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Couldnt disagree more.

There are smaller players in that league, yes. There are bigger players in the NHL. Much bigger. So if what your saying is true, then Jagr will have almost twice less space to maneuver around on NHL ice. His game is protecting the puck and working off the boards, less space in the NHL is going to hurt his game compared to the larger ice surface in the KHL.

And he'll be 39 a year from now to boot. Watching the guy play well in one international contest just doesnt do it for me, sorry.

Keep counting.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I think a lot of people here aren't grasping how Jagr would help the team, and why people like me would be inclined to support a return to NYC.

This team, outside of Gaborik and Jokinen, have a ton of guys who a) cant create their own shot and b) rarely get legit scoring chances outside of a slapper or wrister from the off wing.

Even at this advanced age, Jagr is a horse on the puck, along the boards, and is an excellent passer. He is also a magnet for opposing forwards to help out down low when he is working over defensemen.

All these things I mentioned opens up the ice for the other forwards and for a d-man to sneak down low for quality scoring chances.

Nobody here wants or expects the Jagr of 2006 or even 2008. We have Gaborik for that. But nobody can deny that Jagr still is a major presence on the ice -- especially on offense -- and he would be a key part in making the Rangers a more difficult team to play against.

That being said, if he never comes back, i can live with it.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote