HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers blockbuster in the works?

Old
02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Redden and Dubisnky for Cogliano and Souray would not be a terrible trade. I think that both Dubi and Cogliano appear to be 3rd line border line 2nd line players. I still am on the fence anout Dubi, he could become the player he shows glimpses off, and is still pretty young. Giving him up could be mistake. I would ask them to throw in a second round pick. Because honestly Redden although is overpaid is not like he is a laibility and Souray contract is just as big. Do i want Souray over Redden yes, but i am not sure were are gaining that much on that side, and Dubi and cogs i would think were losing.
I am going the other eway on this one. I think it's a horrible trade. Rangers lose thier best two way forward, to gain a smaller less physical forward who I feel just isn't as good as the player going the other way. Plus in the case of Cogliano he is a free agent next season who needs to be re-signed. Sorry, but this guy is tanking biscuits up in Edmonton, while at the very least Brandon(a player who is brought up through the system) is at least the fan favorite. At least he's a guy that doesn't shy away from the high traffic. At least he has the ability to inject some life into this team. I guess I just see his value that much higher than I do Cogliano's.

Now I do agree that Souray carries more value than Redden or Rosy. But really all you are getting is one bad contract for another while losing your best two way forward. Not one of Sathers better deals.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Redden and Dubinsky for Cogliano and Souray would be ideal.

Both Cogliano and Dubinsky have shown flashes of upside and have consistentely been poor performers for the majority of their seasons. Flashes, yes, but only flashes.

Getting rid of the Redden contract, by any standards, should be a HUGE step in this organization right now. It's THAT bad. Then again, I'd rather bury it in the minors, but Sather obviously isn't willing to do that.

My IDEAL trade, would be Rozsival/Dubinsky for Souray/Cogliano and a b-level prospect or pick. THEN dump Redden in the minors, and we open up a whole world of wonder.

With Souray, he may be overpaid, but at least he fills a need not occupied by any of our current players, a defenseman who can SCORE and run a PP (not that DZ hasn't been good). DZ and Souray on the same PP could boost it heavily.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Redden and Dubinsky for Cogliano and Souray would be ideal.

Both Cogliano and Dubinsky have shown flashes of upside and have consistentely been poor performers for the majority of their seasons. Flashes, yes, but only flashes.

Getting rid of the Redden contract, by any standards, should be a HUGE step in this organization right now. It's THAT bad. Then again, I'd rather bury it in the minors, but Sather obviously isn't willing to do that.

My IDEAL trade, would be Rozsival/Dubinsky for Souray/Cogliano and a b-level prospect or pick. THEN dump Redden in the minors, and we open up a whole world of wonder.

With Souray, he may be overpaid, but at least he fills a need not occupied by any of our current players, a defenseman who can SCORE and run a PP (not that DZ hasn't been good). DZ and Souray on the same PP could boost it heavily.
Ideal? First off, your review of Dubinsky is way off. Sure, he has some bouts with inconsistency when it comes to scoring, but he is certainly an effective player when hes not scoring (which he does more than Cogliano, anyway).

I agree that the organization should be doing taking strides to rid itself of Rozsival and Redden's contract, but they CERTAINLY shouldnt be taking a dud like Souray back.

This would be a terrible, terrible trade and Im 99% sure its BS anyway...and thank God for that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:17 PM
blue2noise

If true, it disgusts me that Sather looks at this team and thinks "Sheldon Souray is what we need."

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'm referring to sending Redden to Hartford. That's why it would cost us 6.5 million per year. If we were buying him out it would actually only cost us 2/3 of his salary, and would account for a lower % of payroll spending than Holik.
Ah, gotcha. My bad.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:32 PM
blue2noise

No one is taking Redden. Not even his mother

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:41 PM
thewaitingisover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
The Souray rumors make make me want to vomit. Typical Sather move trying to rescue an underachieving player and hoping he magically regains form.

I would not give up Rozsival for him at this point. At least Rozsival has done something this season

We already got Jokinen to play the point. We don't need injury prone Souray and his 4 goals and -19
truth.

redden for souray would be acceptable.
rozsival for souray would absolutely not be acceptable.

dubinsky for cogliano? eh. no thanks.

this isn't much of a blockbuster, i can't see this improving either team. how about redden, voros, brashear, rozsival, matt zaba, and ten 1sts for...
gonchar and malkin

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaitingisover View Post
truth.

redden for souray would be acceptable.
rozsival for souray would absolutely not be acceptable.

dubinsky for cogliano? eh. no thanks.

this isn't much of a blockbuster, i can't see this improving either team. how about redden, voros, brashear, rozsival, matt zaba, and ten 1sts for...
gonchar and malkin
As an Oilers fan I feel your pain with Redden; we have Horc. No one will take Redden. Can someone explain to me how he got that contract from Sather. I am sure there were not too many teams that wanted him. Especially over 5 mil. How did he get 6.5mil. He is only over paid by like 3 mil.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
LeetchisGod
We miss the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
As an Oilers fan I feel your pain with Redden; we have Horc. No one will take Redden. Can someone explain to me how he got that contract from Sather. I am sure there were not too many teams that wanted him. Especially over 5 mil. How did he get 6.5mil. He is only over paid by like 3 mil.
The simple explanation is that Sather is a horrible judge of talent who is still living off his Oilers success.

LeetchisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
No, there were several teams out there that wanted him real bad. Everyone was thinking they'd get the all-star defenseman Redden who would put up 40-50 points, be a rock on defense, and be great at starting the rush back up the ice.

I don't know why they thought that, but why else would teams be willing to pay him that much.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
gravey9

This is a horrible move if you consider prevailing wisdom: the team who gets the best player wins. Dubinsky is that player. And in the end, we'd be saving such little cap room it wouldn't matter. It's not like saving 700,000 is suddenly going to give us enough to sign Kovalchuk in the off season.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Garfinkel1

Per Eklund:

To Rangers:Savard
To Boston:4th round pick

JK!

In all honesty,
To Boston; Dubinsky, Ryan Bourque, Brodie Dupont, 3rd.

Would that do it?

Keep in mind I am almost as bad at this as Eklund!

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Holik was during the summer after the lockout. That's 4 years ago and not "a different era." Holik "had two seasons left on his deal at $6.726 million a year." The Rangers paid 2/3 of that to send him away.
Yea but it didn't hit the cap = different era.

Sucks either way, which is why Sather would likely take back another bad contract that has less time on it to dish Redden.

At the end of the day he still has to explain this all to a non hockey guy businessman owner. Right?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Per Eklund:

JK!

In all honesty,

Would that do it?

isnt savard like 35 or something?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
isnt savard like 35 or something?
33. . Alright, I thought he was 29-30. I wouldn't give up that package for a 33 year old. But if he was 29-30 it wouldn't be out of the question.

Old
02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
The Thomas J.*

No way this happens without a 3rd or even a 4th team envloved. In edition, the only way to move Redden is to give up a first or one or matbe even two of our top 10 prospects.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Per Eklund:

JK!

In all honesty,

Would that do it?

Salary cap says "hi".

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:39 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Yea but it didn't hit the cap = different era.

Sucks either way, which is why Sather would likely take back another bad contract that has less time on it to dish Redden.

At the end of the day he still has to explain this all to a non hockey guy businessman owner. Right?

Sending Redden to Hartford results in no cap hit, just as buying out Holik with the amnesty buyout four years ago resulted in no cap hit.

It really was not a different era.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Salary cap says "hi".
Have you done the math?

Keep in mind, it is pro-rated.

Old
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No thanks, I like what Florida has to offer much more.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

Rozsival and Dubinsky for Souray and Cogliano doesn't improve this team. It weakens it. Especially if Souray is out of the line-up, which he often is.

Dumping Redden to the minors opens up enough cap space to target a guy like Volchenkov, who would be a hell of a lot more valuable than Souray for about the same price.

If Sather traded Rozsival and Dubinsky separately, I think he'd get more than Souray/Cogliano. I think it's a terrible proposal. Bad asset management.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
chip chipperson*

we dont need souray. he sucks.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Have you done the math?

Keep in mind, it is pro-rated.
http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/

According to capgeek, we have enough cap space after proration to add a contract worth $308,499.

The difference between Savard and Dubinsky is 3.15 million. We're just a biiiiiiiiit shy lol.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
No one is taking Redden. Not even his mother
I see what you did there. Nice one.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Ola

Souray is really good on the PP. We could use a shot like that. I mean, when we could carry Kotalik our PP was the best I've seen in the last 5 years. Thats basically a fact. Kotalik could shoot and that made our PP. Souray can also shoot the puck really really well.

I would love to be able to stay AWAY from him. He is a left shooting D too, where does that leave MDZ? MDZ plays on the left side, so dose Souray.

But I think thats kind of what it is about. To be able to stay away from him, or someone like him (McCabe). We need someone who can shoot the puck on the PP.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote