HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deke of the YEAR?

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
He's definitely one dimensional, but that's alright when you put up 50 points as a Dman.
Not good enough if your name is Tom Poti...

If Zidlicky had come to the Rangers it would have been a nightmare for both the player and the club, plain and simple. Not that Nashville have that much better d-men than us, but the expectations in NY would have been high, and his +/- would have been very, very low.

I agree on DeVries, by the way. Good player, I've always been a fan, just never really should have come to the Rangers. Bad career move.

Old
01-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
hope you guys don't mind me butting onto your board,but i was just reading this post and thought as a predator season ticket holder i can speak a little about zidlicky here...he was a 3rd pairing guy for us,but averaged about 13 1/2 minutes a game even strength,so it wasn't like they hid him even strength...(averaged a little over 20 minutes a game icetime total)..

and defensively he did struggle sometimes,especially if his line got caught out against a line with big forwards...biggest defensive weakness is strength,positionally he plays well....but overall he was a good solid 3rd pair type dman...like all offensive defensemen he got burned some from jumping into the rush,but the guy is an offensive wizard...great stickhandler,good speed,very accurate shot,and a tremendous passer....phenominal on the pp...the 50 points he scored were not a fluke,the guy is going to be in the top two or three pointwise from the blueline for the next few years if healthy...

moves like he made in that video were commonplace last year, a treat to watch in the offensive zone...doubt he ever moves up on our team in even strength pairings(with hamhuis,timonen,eaton,lilja,and soon suter and weber ahead of him)...but the guy is arguably best powerplay blueliner in the league(or at the minimum in the top two or three),because of his stickwork and offensive intelligence

the guy had led the finnish league in defenseman scoring for two years when the rangers drafted him,but the reason he never signed was they wouldn't guarantee him a spot on the big club(according to interviews i heard last year from him)....he asked that because he was so old(24) when he was first picked by the rangers,not because he's a problem...attitude wise he was a great teammate according to all reports
I agree with you 100%. Zidlicky is limited by his size and is also not the best skater. But he is quit feisty and solid positionally. Its hard to rank him as pointmen in the league because there are so many other factors but he is defenitly one of the top if not the best stickhandler on the blueline. I also belive that he might even take on a bigger role in the future. Zidlicky played a great game against a extremly powerful canadian team in the WC. Some guys who are trying to make it out like he is just a margin player who was at the right place at the right time in Nashville haven´t seen him play.

It was a extremly stuipid move by Sather "giving" him away. Zidlicky was hardly a unknown asset in the hockey world before he signed with Nashville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Yea alot of people gotta remember that Zidlicky was not drafted as an 18 year old. He was drafted as a mid 20 year old. Big difference. One question why do some of these european players go into the draft when they are 25 or so? And why dont this happen with North American Hockey Players??
I belive its more to it then European players not beeing scouted as much as NA, although thats a big factor. In Europe there is always teams who are commited to develop a player and will benfit by dooing so. In NA you kind of fall of the loop if you are 18 and not drafted.

Last edited by Ola: 01-24-2005 at 03:42 AM.
Old
01-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
One question why do some of these european players go into the draft when they are 25 or so? And why dont this happen with North American Hockey Players??
I gather it's because in order for Europeans to play in the NHL, they have to be drafted unless they played their junior hockey over here.

Old
01-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
To get back on topic... that was hardly the deke of the year. It was a nice move, but Pavel Datsyuk has at least ten highlight reel dekes every year that surpass this one, in my opinion.

Old
01-24-2005, 10:58 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
To get back on topic... that was hardly the deke of the year. It was a nice move, but Pavel Datsyuk has at least ten highlight reel dekes every year that surpass this one, in my opinion.
Pulling the puck behind him...passing the puck on his backhand through his legs...off his skate back to his stick and spilting 2 dmen at the same time is hardly a deke of the year?? Wow show me some of your highlights clips because i would love to see what type of dekes you find better. Balejs doesnt even compare to that and his was amazing..and only one deke comes to mind from Datsyuk is when he compelety froze Turco on a breakaway.

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 01-24-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old
01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Taz

Not only that he scored as well

Old
01-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Pulling the puck behind him...passing the puck on his backhand through his legs...off his skate back to his stick and spilting 2 dmen at the same time is hardly a deke of the year?? Wow show me some of your highlights clips because i would love to see what type of dekes you find better. Balejs doesnt even compare to that and his was amazing..and only one deke comes to mind from Datsyuk is when he compelety froze Turco on a breakaway.
Somewhere in the hockey video thread on the general NHL board there's a link to top 10 Pavel Datsyuk goals. It's worth watching.

Zidlicky's deke is fierce, though.

Old
01-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE

The deke was nice, but like someone else said, let's see him try to do this at the NHL level between NHL defensemen.

Datsyuk does dekes like that at least once a game, it's not all that tough to do. I can do this on a regular basis myself -- I doubt I can do it at the NHL level, though, so that's what separates the ridiculous Datsyuk moves from mine.

Go look at any Red Wings highlight reel clips -- half of them have Datsyuk.

Closed Thread